Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

Que the snow delays and changes for today:

Service Change  Posted: 02/05/2016 10:53AM 

Due to a tree on the track at Sheepshead Bay, the following service changes are in effect:

Southbound b.png and q.png trains are terminating at Kings Hwy.

Some southbound q.png trains are running on the n.png line from DeKalb Av to Coney island-Stillwell Av.

Allow additional travel time.

Delays  Posted: 02/05/2016 10:14AM 

Due to inclement weather, 1.png2.png3.png4.png5.png6.png7.pnga.pngb.pngd.pngf.pngg.pngj.pngl.pngm.pngn.pngq.png, Rockaway Park s.png and Franklin Av s.png trains expect delays in both directions on all outdoor lines.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think the length of the crane was why.  That crane after it collapsed went at least a block or two and I suspect NYPD and FDNY officials insisted on both stations being bypassed.  Also I believe there may have been concerns of other things coming down and being projectiles even several blocks away.

• 2 weeks later...

How does signal problems actually cause this?

Due to signal problems at E 180 St, the following service changes are in effect:

There are no (2) trains between 96 St or 135 St and Wakefield-241 St.

There are no (5) trains between Jackson Av and Dyre Av.

As an alternate, customers can use Bx39 or Bx41 buses.

EDIT 11:05 am

It's being blamed for Con Ed problems.That makes more sense.Just signal problems shouldn't knock out service on the whole corridor.

Happy Friday.

Due to switch problems at Astoria-Ditmars Blvd, the following service changes are in effect:

There is no q.png train service between 57 St-7 Av and Astoria-Ditmars Blvd.

n.png trains are running with delays in both directions.

As an alternative for q.png train service to Astoria-Ditmars Blvd, customers may use n.png train service.

Delays  Posted: 02/19/2016  4:01PM

Due to signal problems at Prince St, southbound n.png and r.png trains are running with delays. 

MTA Service Status

Service Change  Posted: 02/23/2016  9:15PM 

Due to a person struck by a train at Forest Hills-71 Ave.png and f.png trains are running local between Kew Gardens-UnionTurnpike and Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Av in both directions.

Expect delays on e.pngf.png and r.png train service in both directions.

MTA Service Status

Service Change Posted: 02/23/2016 9:15PM

Due to a person struck by a train at Forest Hills-71 Av, e.png and f.png trains are running local between Kew Gardens-UnionTurnpike and Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Av in both directions.

Expect delays on e.png, f.png and r.png train service in both directions.

I was affected by that and it took 2 hours to get to 71st Ave. All they could tell us was to use bus service but the Q60 is slow and I was at 21st Queensbridge when the (F) went out of service.

This makes no sense. Don't they mean somewhere east of Hoyt-Schermerhorn Sts or what?

Service Change  Posted: 02/24/2016  6:42AM

Due to a train with mechanical problems at Hoyt-Schermerhorn Sts, southbound a.png trains are running local from Hoyt-Schermerhorn Sts to Broadway Junction.

Edited by RollOver

MTA Service Status

Due to a person struck by a train at Forest Hills-71 Ave.png and f.png trains are running local between Kew Gardens-UnionTurnpike and Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Av in both directions.

Good thing I didn't use QB yesterday.

I was affected by that and it took 2 hours to get to 71st Ave. All they could tell us was to use bus service but the Q60 is slow and I was at 21st Queensbridge when the (F) went out of service.

Ridiculous. They need a template of suggested alternatives to subway disruptions that they can refer to quickly to relay to passengers. 

Good thing I didn't use QB yesterday.

Ridiculous. They need a template of suggested alternatives to subway disruptions that they can refer to quickly to relay to passengers

You mean something like this(http://septa.org/stations/rail/alternate-service/reverse/elkinspark.html on SEPTA's website)?

You mean something like this(http://septa.org/stations/rail/alternate-service/reverse/elkinspark.html on SEPTA's website)?

Maybe some maps as well.

For Example if there are QB disruptions and one usually uses the Q43, there could be directions to say use (7) & Q17, Q27, etc. 

Or if going to Jamaica Center take (M) to (J) or whatever.

MTA Service Status

That's odd. Usually they just say "police activity" or something to that effect.

Maybe some maps as well.

For Example if there are QB disruptions and one usually uses the Q43, there could be directions to say use (7) & Q17, Q27, etc. 

Or if going to Jamaica Center take (M) to (J) or whatever.

I think at the very least, nearby alternate subway lines should be listed. For Jamaica riders, they should've been encouraged to make their way over to the (J). Southern Astoria riders to the (N)(Q), and Jackson Heights riders to the (7)

For the buses, it's a little more difficult, since you'd basically have to use a map that lists half the Queens bus network on it, since a lot of bus routes connect to multiple subway lines. Another issue is that, depending on the time of day, you might overcrowd the alternate routes for the people who are saavy enough to use them, and make them as slow as the subway line that was shut down.

Service Change  Posted: 02/27/2016 10:01AM

Due to falling debris at Chambers St, the following service changes are in effect:

Southbound (J) trains are terminating at Chambers St.

For service to Fulton St, passengers are advised to take (A), (C), (4) or (5) trains making nearby station stops.

For service to Broad St, passengers are advised to take (R) trains making nearby station stops.

Time is ticking before the eventual collapse of the station.