Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

The last (Z) from Jamaica leaves at about 8:13AM according to the schedule. 

I’ve been staring at it for a while. If the last (Z) ends before 8:30 AM at her station, then she must be boarding at a station between 111 Street and Broadway Junction. Skip-stop must have still been in effect, because the 3 (J) trains that passed by skipped the station.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Service Change  Posted: 05/06/2016  9:46PM 

Due to a train with mechanical problems at DeKalb Av, the following service changes are in effect:

Some northbound b.png and q.png trains terminate at Prospect Park.

Some southbound b.png trains are running on the d.png line from Grand St to Coney Island-Stillwell Av, then on the q.png line fromConey Island-Stillwell Av to Brighton Beach.

Some southbound q.png trains are running on the r.png line from Canal St to Dekalb Av, then on the n.png line from Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr to Coney Island-Stillwell Av.

Expect delays in b.pngd.pngn.pngq.png and r.png train service in both directions.

Allow additional travel time.

Woah... I didn't know New York had a witch problem...

Service Change  Posted: 05/09/2016  6:48AM 

Due to witch problems at 33 St-Rawson St, 34 St bound 7.png trains are running local from 74 St-Broadway to Queensboro Plaza.

As an alternative customers are advised to use the e.pngf.pngm.png or r.png train service.

Service Change Posted: 05/09/2016 6:48AM

Due to witch problems at 33 St-Rawson St, 34 St bound 7.png trains are running local from 74 St-Broadway to Queensboro Plaza.

As an alternative customers are advised to use the e.png, f.png, m.png or r.png train service.

Gonna need a level 90 spell to nullify the curse.

Service Change  Posted: 05/09/2016  6:48AM 

Due to witch problems at 33 St-Rawson St, 34 St bound 7.png trains are running local from 74 St-Broadway to Queensboro Plaza.

As an alternative customers are advised to use the e.pngf.pngm.png or r.png train service.

Unless we are talking about Voldemort and Harry Potter's crew fighting on the express tracks, this is an obvious typo. Funny, but the (MTA) needs to check what they type at times.

Unless we are talking about Voldemort and Harry Potter's crew fighting on the express tracks, this is an obvious typo. Funny, but the (MTA) needs to check what they type at times.

If the MTA were looking at this from an efficiency angle, they’d create some web forms just for updating service notifications. As a web developer, I would opt for a wizard-driven (no pun intended) update system:

1. Tick the check boxes on the lines being affected; the system will automatically tag all the routes that are affected along the line.
  2. Edit the list of automatically selected routes; some incidents affect only one route even if the location of the incident is shared by more than one route.
  3. Add a list of affected stations.
  4. Select from a drop-down menu of common reasons or type in a custom reason.
  5. If the system determines that the incident is probably going to shut down service or cause a delay, it can automatically compute a set of alternative transportation options which can be edited or refined.

The selection of lines and stations would be similar to how tagged names are added to textual content in Facebook; it’s impossible to misspell, and impossible to select a non-existent line or station.

If the MTA were looking at this from an efficiency angle, they’d create some web forms just for updating service notifications. As a web developer, I would opt for a wizard-driven (no pun intended) update system:

1. Tick the check boxes on the lines being affected; the system will automatically tag all the routes that are affected along the line.
  2. Edit the list of automatically selected routes; some incidents affect only one route even if the location of the incident is shared by more than one route.
  5. If the system determines that the incident is probably going to shut down service or cause a delay, it can automatically compute a set of alternative transportation options which can be edited or refined.

The selection of lines and stations would be similar to how tagged names are added to textual content in Facebook; it’s impossible to misspell, and impossible to select a non-existent line or station.

Heck, they even have something somewhat similar to this with their Trip Planner page.

That actually sounds pretty simple for even a novice coder. Of course, since it's that simple, the MTA will never adapt it.

I actually made something like this when I was testing out my MTA app for iPhone. Basically, I put in a service interruption test by putting in this code:

7PO111/Import

7 = The Line That's Affected

PO = Power Outage

111 = The Station that's affected.

The system automatically ranged a different number on possibilities and updated the app:

Due to a power outage at 111th St, (7) trains start and terminate at 74th Street - Broadway in both directions. Long Island Railroad will cross-honor all MTA passengers. For service to uptown queens, take the Q44 SBS and free shuttle buses.

It's that simple. Let's try another one:

QDMProspectD/Import

Due to a derailment at Prospect Park, the following service changes are in effect:

Brighton Beach Bound (B) trains are running on the (D) line from Grand St to Coney Island, then via the (Q) line to Brighton Beach and then terminate.

Coney Island Bound (Q) trains are running on the (N) line from Atlantic Avenue - Pacific St to Coney Island.

There is no Manhattan bound (B) train service at this time.

Select Astoria Blvd bound (Q) trains are running on both the (D) and (N) lines via 36th Street, then via the (R) to 57th Street - 7th Avenue.

Select (Q) trains are running on the (F) line from Coney Island - Stillwell Avenue to Forest Hills - 71st Avenue.

Alright it might be time to show off my new app:

image.png

So this is what I sent to the servers and it was able to reconfigure and post this service change. Notice how it knows where the (7) has the ability to switch tracks and comes up with the reroute on it's on. But let's try something a bit more harder:

TimesSqDoomsdaySP6677

image.png

So this is what I sent to the servers and it was able to reconfigure and post this service change. Notice how it knows where the (7) has the ability to switch tracks and comes up with the reroute on it's on. But let's try something a bit more harder:

TimesSqDoomsdaySP6677

Yeesh....You'd be better off walking!

Why do you think I called the code doomsday lol

Anyway, I just realized my system still thinks the 42 St Shuttle is the (1) and (6) combined, which is why it said (S) trains are running from 137th to Grand Central which made me laugh my a$$ off.

Notice how it knows where the (7) has the ability to switch tracks and comes up with the reroute on it's on. But let's try something a bit more harder:

It’s going to require human editing most of the time unless the application has a live model of the track system and the model is updated every time a switch is out-of-service, or a track is closed off. The granularity of the system will also have to be finer than line/station. It’s going to require specifying a problem down to platform level to make automation that much more of a reality. For example, a woman who has committed suicide on the northbound local track on the Broadway line at Times Square–42 Street is going to cause (N) and (R) trains to skip 49 Street going northbound. But if the application only allows for specifying a particular station, it wouldn’t know if the problem also affected the (1), (2), (3), (7), (A), (C), (E), (Q), (S).

image.png

TimesSqDoomsdaySP6677

image.png

Are you sure you aren't just playing around with the "inspect element" feature of your web browser?..

Also, there's no track connection between the G and the A/C at Hoyt.

Edited by Dj Hammers

No, that website is an exact duplicate of the MTA website, and I have my app logged in to receive the alerts from the duplicate MTA website I made so I can Test it out. No I don't know why it thought the (E) could make it all the way to the ROCKAWAYS via Crosstown (which is why I'm testing it in the first place so these types of bugs don't happen.)

And CenSin, this is all automatic. The only thing the person needs to do is input the code of where everything's happening, and the program figures out the rest.

No, that website is an exact duplicate of the MTA website, and I have my app logged in to receive the alerts from the duplicate MTA website I made so I can Test it out. No I don't know why it thought the (E) could make it all the way to the ROCKAWAYS via Crosstown (which is why I'm testing it in the first place so these types of bugs don't happen.)

And CenSin, this is all automatic. The only thing the person needs to do is input the code of where everything's happening, and the program figures out the rest.

Put one out for the rest of us to play with.

Are you sure you aren't just playing around with the "inspect element" feature of your web browser?..

Also, there's no track connection between the G and the A/C at Hoyt.

I could certainly pull off something like this on a private web server masquerading as mta.info with the help of a private DNS server, so it is possible that this is real.

However, it is also my expert opinion that this kind of work require a lot of man-hours:

• interface: web interface and assets
  • data: directed graph structure representing all the elements of the subway system and possibly bus system
  • executable code: alternative route finder algorithm

Most of the work will be concentrated on the latter two items with the data consuming the most amount of labor. It’s likely that the MTA itself hasn’t even developed this.

If he hasn’t actually developed it yet, he’s going to take a year to “debug” these buggies, assuming he is working alone.

@Javier: fix ’em quick and show us.

Edited by CenSin