Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Service Change Posted: 10/12/2012 4:18PM

Due to signal problems at Nostrand Av:

Some Downtown a.png and c.png trains are terminating at World Trade Center, Jay St and 2 Av.

Uptown a.png and c.png trains are terminating at Broadway Junction.

Please expect delays in a.png and c.png train service at this time.

Unfortunately, I was a Victim of this too. The (E) Train I was on took 20 minutes to WTC waiting at each stop every 5-10 minutes starting at 23rd Street. Luckily it better by Canal St. I have to assume that was another train (Likely the C) before us because the train traffic announcement went off a few times. Things were slug on 8th Avenue (at least on my end). At least it ended when it did thankfully.

Service Change Posted: 10/12/2012 4:18PM

Due to signal problems at Nostrand Av:

Some Downtown a.png and c.png trains are terminating at World Trade Center, Jay St and 2 Av.

Uptown a.png and c.png trains are terminating at Broadway Junction.

Please expect delays in a.png and c.png train service at this time.

I would have immediately re-routed the (C) to the (M) after West 4th and have those trains continue via the (J) to Broadway Junction that way, so passengers looking for Manhattan/points east of Broadway Junction still can at least get to/from Broadway Junction relatively easily.

I would have immediately re-routed the (C) to the (M) after West 4th and have those trains continue via the (J) to Broadway Junction that way, so passengers looking for Manhattan/points east of Broadway Junction still can at least get to/from Broadway Junction relatively easily.

I know you should be very familiar with the issues that plague trains running between 8 Avenue and Jamaica. That already makes it a non-starter for people who actually do run the system.

Want Broadway Junction? Tell those (C) riders to catch an (L) at 14 Street.

Edited by CenSin

Would you please stop thinking of sending the (C) over the Eastern Division Lines. You have to stop thinking unrealistic ideas. The MTA would never want to send (C) over the Jamaica Line since everyone will be confused about what is going on.

Would you please stop thinking of sending the (C) over the Eastern Division Lines. You have to stop thinking unrealistic ideas. The MTA would never want to send (C) over the Jamaica Line since everyone will be confused about what is going on.

My belief is, you use what you have at your disposal at that point. In this case, if it means sending the (C) over the Eastern Division to get to a point where people can switch back to the (A) to finish their ride, then yes, I do that and people who get confused by it simply have to learn the hard way (as I did years ago): Sometimes, changes have to be made to keep the system running in the most efficient manner possible when something like what happened along the Fulton Street branch happens. The idea is to reduce the need for shuttle buses as much as possible and keep the system running as smoothly as possible. If people get confused, it is their fault for not paying attention and not keeping up-to-date, something people in my generation were and still are expected to do at all times.

If I were regularly riding like I had to back in the 1980s when I used to have to go all over Manhattan, I would always have full-bore alerts available and know as best possible what re-routes are taking place. That's the level I was expected to be at when I was younger and people who only look at their route and don't plan for alternate routes in case of problems simply will learn the hard way. My way rewards people who pay attention.

My belief is, you use what you have at your disposal at that point. In this case, if it means sending the (C) over the Eastern Division to get to a point where people can switch back to the (A) to finish their ride, then yes, I do that and people who get confused by it simply have to learn the hard way (as I did years ago): Sometimes, changes have to be made to keep the system running in the most efficient manner possible when something like what happened along the Fulton Street branch happens. The idea is to reduce the need for shuttle buses as much as possible and keep the system running as smoothly as possible. If people get confused, it is their fault for not paying attention and not keeping up-to-date, something people in my generation were and still are expected to do at all times.

If I were regularly riding like I had to back in the 1980s when I used to have to go all over Manhattan, I would always have full-bore alerts available and know as best possible what re-routes are taking place. That's the level I was expected to be at when I was younger and people who only look at their route and don't plan for alternate routes in case of problems simply will learn the hard way. My way rewards people who pay attention.

What about the tourists who barely understand English? Or those NYers who can't understand the 'riufghr ewfqwp ewfiwegfoq fwebyufgew' that constitutes an announcement in the R32s? Or those people who are not provided announcements at all?

I know you should be very familiar with the issues that plague trains running between 8 Avenue and Jamaica. That already makes it a non-starter for people who actually do run the system.

Want Broadway Junction? Tell those (C) riders to catch an (L) at 14 Street.

That's what they told riders to do. I was at Canal St on the (6) when I heard the announcement...then the Low-V slowly went by on the express. Killed my chances of riding it yesterday lol

Sometimes, changes have to be made to keep the system running in the most efficient manner possible when something like what happened along the Fulton Street branch happens.

Efficiently? Definitely not by running the (C) over the Williamsburg Bridge. You diminish the efficiency of the (E), (F), (J), (M), and (Z) that way.

The idea is to reduce the need for shuttle buses as much as possible and keep the system running as smoothly as possible.

How does continuing the (C) via the Williamsburg Bridge reduce the need for shuttle buses? There is still a lack of (C) service between West 4 Street–Washington Square and Broadway Junction. By running the (C) over the Williamsburg Bridge to get to Broadway Junction, you think shuttle buses won't be needed (if they were even needed in the first place)?

And then after the fact, you have a bunch of trains in the wrong places. If you've ever worked with any kind of inventory, you should know how much of a pain in the ass it is to work with things when they are not where you expect them to be.

Really, I see no need in backing up the (F) and (M). The general public are the ones the (MTA) is worried about, not the people who pay attention.

Really, I see no need in backing up the (F) and (M). The general public are the ones the (MTA) is worried about, not the people who pay attention.

You are dealing with an emergency in this case. Yes, I'm well aware it's a pain in the rear-end to have equipment where it is not normally, but in this case, sending the (C) over the Willy B allows riders going there and to points east to get to Broadway Junction and make one transfer instead of potentially 2-4. That's what I'm looking at.

If people are that stupid, like I said, I grew up at a time when the general public was expected to pay attention, and it's their loss if they don't.

You are dealing with an emergency in this case. Yes, I'm well aware it's a pain in the rear-end to have equipment where it is not normally, but in this case, sending the (C) over the Willy B allows riders going there and to points east to get to Broadway Junction and make one transfer instead of potentially 2-4. That's what I'm looking at.

If people are that stupid, like I said, I grew up at a time when the general public was expected to pay attention, and it's their loss if they don't.

But why reroute an entire different line into new territory when you have 2 already useful alternatives...3 if you count the (Z) (which was running at that time)

You throwing the (C) over the Willy B is just gonna f**k up the (J)(M)(Z). Plus if you do that, how you gonna bring those "lost" trains back to where they belong?

Edited by Fresh Pond

Wallyhorse, you've been focusing on what works from an operation's standpoint way too much. The point in working from riders' standpoint is telling (A) or (C) riders to transfer at 14th Street for the (L) if they are heading to Broadway Junction, (F) at West 4th Street if they're heading to Jay Street-MetroTech, (2) or (3) at Chambers Street-World Trade Center/Park Place if they're heading to the next stop at Fulton Street in Lower Manhattan...

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Then you are aware, but not able to weigh the pros and cons properly. For the reduction in 1 transfer how much more trouble do you cause for other lines and the operation of the (C) after signal problems have been fixed?

Other people's intelligence shouldn't be your first worry.

Yeah, people really needs to stop this already. It's just getting to the point where it becomes completely dumb and senseless with full of foam and bias.

Say that the signal systems are affecting the BMT Nassau Street Line at Bowery, Canal, Chambers, Fulton, and Broad Streets, what should the (MTA) do? Send the (J)(Z) via the (M) to Broadway-Lafayette and then via the (C) to 168th, then reverse in the opposite direction...? Or just simply have the (J)(Z) end at Essex or Myrtle Avenue-Broadway and having their riders use the (M) or (F) at Essex to transfer to the (6)<6> at Broadway/Bleecker-Lafayette Streets?

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Wallyhorse, do you realize how many delays this would cause? You seem to not understand that it's not just about TPH, but about schedule. When you have the (F), (J), (M), (Z), and (C) all merging around the same area when their schedules are not interlined with each other, you're going to have trains reaching W 4 St or the Chrystie St cut at the same time, and one of them will have to wait. Combine this with the fact that if a conductor said out of the blue, "This train will be running on the (M) line from here to Essex St, and then on the (J) line to Broadway Junction," people are going to have NO idea what's going on; probably even the most experienced subway riders don't understand how it's physically possible for the (C) to connect with the (J). It's not like a simple reroute that your average rider can understand like the usual (F) via the (A) for example.

Anyone knows what went on today with the (B)? I was going southbound on a congested 4 Avenue express track and I caught a northbound (B) leaving 36 Street on the express track at 5:41 pm.

Meanwhile, on my side of the tunnel, two (R) trains managed to race past us from Pacific Street to 59 Street… no thanks to the train dispatcher and the (N) in front of us.

Alright guys, the point has been made. Stop beating the dead horse.

The [Wally]horse will be back and kicking.

Anyone knows what went on today with the (B)? I was going southbound on a congested 4 Avenue express track and I caught a northbound (B) leaving 36 Street on the express track at 5:41 pm.

Meanwhile, on my side of the tunnel, two (R) trains managed to race past us from Pacific Street to 59 Street… no thanks to the train dispatcher and the (N) in front of us.

The [Wally]horse will be back and kicking.

Police investigations at Atlantic Av and/or Dekalb Av.

Due to a stalled train at the 125 Street Station, uptown(D) train service running local from the 59 Street- Columbus Circle Station to the 125 Street Station.

Pl;ease expect delays on the (A)and (D) train service at this time.

I hope this train is not stuck in a tunnel with passengers on it.

Service Change Posted: 10/16/2012 9:22AM

Due to switch problems at the 14 Street-Union Square Station:

There is no downtown (4), (5) and (6) trains from the 125 Street Station to the Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall Station.

Uptown(4) , (5)and (6)local from the Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall Station to the 125 Street Station.

Please expect delays on the(4), (5)and (6)trains at this time.

Wow switch problems can cause all this?