Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

2 hours ago, Lance said:

I'm surprised it came back. Also, outbound Brighton service was suspended earlier today due to a down tree.

My beloved Dyre line is notorious for fallen trees across the tracks. This is especially true of the s/b stretch between the Baychester Avenue and Gun Hill Road stations. Over the years I've personally watched the constant erosion of the soil and surrounding area.. Where there used to be brush surrounding the trees on the embankment , especially s/b, by late 2010 all that was left was the bare soil. Having watched NatGeo and Discovery for years I always wondered why NYCT or the (MTA) itself didn't try to re-seed the embankments to slow down or prevent the obvious effects of erosion over the years. I had a friend up at Dyre who was a car cleaner. There were at least 3 times since 2000 that he and I would remove or relocate fallen trees or large branches from the s/b track (Y1) in order to continue my trip. We used to joke that we would have to lie like hell if we suffered an injury because we were doing something out of title and therefore ineligible for Worker's Comp or Disability pay. We'd probably be written up instead. I remember one Saturday in the mid 80's where a tree came down and service was suspended for hours because the only on duty crew with a chainsaw had to be called in from Coney Island !!!. They finally assigned a crew at East 180th St Yard. The saying was " common sense ain't so common any more" and from what I'm reading nothing's changed. Just my observation though. Carry on.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

My beloved Dyre line is notorious for fallen trees across the tracks. This is especially true of the s/b stretch between the Baychester Avenue and Gun Hill Road stations. Over the years I've personally watched the constant erosion of the soil and surrounding area..

That line is OOS more than it actually runs... <_<

54 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Northbound (B) trains are bypassing Aqueduct Racetrack because of no station lighting at Aqueduct Racetrack. 

Damn, I was really hoping to get to Aqueduct by taking the (B). Looks like I'll have to deal with the (A) instead.

On a more serious note, that's a fairly rare reason to close a station. I'm guessing there were some kind of power issues?

Anyway, today the (5) was all sorts of screwed up. None of the conductors knew if they were terminating at Eastchester, so they had trains signed up as the most random ass things, to Neried, To Wakefield, to Woodlawn, to Gun Hill Road (WPR) shit was a mess. So I decided to help out and tell people on incoming (5) trains at East 180th that it was the last stop, it worked for the first 5 times then the 6th time I told people it was the last stop no one wanted to love and looked at me as if I was crazy. I said ok suit yourself, then the conductor came over the intercom and said that the train was being held due to train traffic (this was on Track M). What she didn't know was that she was being rerouted over the (2), so when the train departed, everyone who I told was the last stop on the train decided to flip me the bird, and I laughed as the train went up WPR instead of Dyre 😂😂. Should've listened to me.

Anyway, I don't think there were any (5) trains at all today from 10:30 AM till about 4 PM, because the first tree fell at Dyre and service was semi restored at 2:00 PM with southbound (5) trains running express from Dyre to 180th. Then 5 other trees fell across the tracks at Baychester, so (5) service got suspended once again, prompting use of shuttle buses from West Farms and Gun Hill. East 180th was a mess with turning (5) trains around over there, (2) train service got delayed a lot on WPR because the (5) was terminating on both Track M and the uptown track. @Trainmaster5, guess what, when the (5) was running express southbound, a train actually stopped at Pelham Pkwy, and I was freaking shocked.

11 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Anyway, today the (5) was all sorts of screwed up. None of the conductors knew if they were terminating at Eastchester, so they had trains signed up as the most random ass things, to Neried, To Wakefield, to Woodlawn, to Gun Hill Road (WPR) shit was a mess. So I decided to help out and tell people on incoming (5) trains at East 180th that it was the last stop, it worked for the first 5 times then the 6th time I told people it was the last stop no one wanted to love and looked at me as if I was crazy. I said ok suit yourself, then the conductor came over the intercom and said that the train was being held due to train traffic (this was on Track M). What she didn't know was that she was being rerouted over the (2), so when the train departed, everyone who I told was the last stop on the train decided to flip me the bird, and I laughed as the train went up WPR instead of Dyre 😂😂. Should've listened to me.

Anyway, I don't think there were any (5) trains at all today from 10:30 AM till about 4 PM, because the first tree fell at Dyre and service was semi restored at 2:00 PM with southbound (5) trains running express from Dyre to 180th. Then 5 other trees fell across the tracks at Baychester, so (5) service got suspended once again, prompting use of shuttle buses from West Farms and Gun Hill. East 180th was a mess with turning (5) trains around over there, (2) train service got delayed a lot on WPR because the (5) was terminating on both Track M and the uptown track. @Trainmaster5, guess what, when the (5) was running express southbound, a train actually stopped at Pelham Pkwy, and I was freaking shocked.

@Lawrence St, I share your contempt of the average idiot subway passenger.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Southbound (3) trains are stopping along the (1) line from 34 St-Penn Station to Chambers St because of switch problems at 34 St-Penn Station. 

Expect delays on (1) and (3) train service.  

Wait...so the (3) is ending at Chambers?

Why not terminate the (3) at Wall St?

Planned Work
TUNNEL RECONSTRUCTION
Weekend (2)(3) station closures and route changes

Weekends until Summer 2018

No service at Park Place, Wall St, Clark St and Hoyt St; use nearby (4)(5) stations

No (2)(3) service between Manhattan and Brooklyn; take the or instead.

Weekend service map for Lower Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn

New timetables with Weekend Route Changes | (2)pdf | (3)pdf | (4)pdf | (5)pdf

10 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

But they're doing tunnel work, why would Wall St need to be closed?

Because of the tunnel being closed, the 2 & 3 has to be re-routed to the 4 & 5 tunnel. There is no way to re-route the 2 & 3 to the 2 & 3 Wall St station from Bowling Green.

Service Change  

Posted: 03/04/2018 11:25PM 

Northbound (N)(Q) trains are running express from Canal St to 57 St-7 Av. 

Some northbound (R) trains are stopping along the (D) line from DeKalb Av to West 4 St-Washington Square, then over the (M) line to 36 St(Queens).

These service change are because of a person struck by a train at 28 St.

Expect delays in (D)(E)(F)(N)(Q)(R) train service.    

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Service Change  Posted: 03/05/2018  4:08PM 

Southbound  trains are running local from Canal St to 59 St (Bklyn) because of signal problems at 36 St (Bklyn).

Expect delays in ,  and  train service.  

I saw the countdown clocks at Canal Street showing two (N) trains arriving in 1 minutes (nothing showed up after 3 minutes), went to get the (6) to Bleecker Street, and saw both an (F) and a (B). The mta.info page I had opened up mentioned delays on the (F) due to signal malfunctions at West 8 Street, so I hopped on the (B) and got the (Q) at Sheepshead Bay.

That’s the MTA communicating enough information to make a useful decision, and a savvy rider acting on it! Too bad they did not make announcements over the loudspeaker at Canal Street. That would have helped a lot of clueless people who were waiting for the (N).

Delays  Posted: 03/05/2018  7:32PM 

Northbound (4) trains are running with delays because of a train with mechanical problems at 149 St-Grand Concourse.  

Service Change  Posted: 03/05/2018  6:05PM 

Some southbound  (4)(5) and (6) trains are running local from 125 St to Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall.

Southbound  (4)(5) and (6)  trains are running with delays.

These service changes are because of earlier switch problems at 149 St-Grand Concourse. 

Service Change  Posted: 03/06/2018  4:04PM 

Some southbound (C) trains are running express from 59 St-Columbus Circle to Canal St.

There is no (E) train service between World Trade Center and Canal St in both directions.

Some southbound (E) trains are stopping along the (C) line from Canal St to Euclid Av and end.

Some southbound (E) trains are stopping along the (F) line from W 4 St-Washington Sq to 2 Av and end.

Some southbound (F) trains are stopping along the (E) line from Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av to Court Sq then via the (G) line to Bergen St.

These service changes are because of switch problems at World Trade Center.

Expect delays in (A)  (C) , (E) , (F) and (G) train service. 

Our crews are on the scene working to fix it ASAP and we'll follow up soon. Stay tuned for updates.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Those (E) to Eucild were actually running via the (A) line in BK and ended at Euclid Ave.

5wpfbDt.jpg

iYVzDUs.jpg

Was fun riding the 160s on the Fulton Street express, at some point between Hoyt and Nostrand Ave just train started swaying back and forth and I heard the trucks bumpin' and knockin' down below, quite fun, never been on a 160 that did that before, wonder if the 179s do the same on the same stretch of track.

The (C) was jacked up as well as my express (E) passed like 4 Euclid bound (C) 's between Hoyt and Euclid 

Edited by trainfan22