Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Twitter just updated that service has resumed with extensive delays.I think the MTA should be more truthful and post what really went on.And also post other travel options.What is there to hide? Things happen.

Can a switch problem really knock out 3 out of 4 tracks around 14th Street? Must've been more than that...

That's what I'm saying .the MTA needs to communicate with customers better.Especally on a line like that

I don't think it's a matter of the (MTA) lying. It's just a matter of how serious the switch/signal problems are. Plus, it's not a matter of where such a problem occurs. They should be truthful in every case, even if it's on the Rockaway Line. Also, it couldn't have been something else, as something more serious, i.e. a derailment, even a minor one, takes far more than an hour to fix.

Edited by 6 Lexington Ave

I got to union sq at around 8:40, the countdown clocks said Delay and the platform was packed. After staying on the platform for 10 minutes, there was not no announcements and the countdown clocks still said delay. it would of been better if it said something along the lines of No Service or similar. Lucky, i was able to take the R train to work which was not crowed at all

I don't think it's a matter of the (MTA) lying. It's just a matter of how serious the switch/signal problems are. Plus, it's not a matter of where such a problem occurs. They should be truthful in every case, even if it's on the Rockaway Line. Also, it couldn't have been something else, as something more serious, i.e. a derailment, even a minor one, takes far more than an hour to fix.

But switch problems can knock out 3 out of 4 tracks?Thats like 3 switches gone bad. and why couldn't some trains terminate at Grand central or something?

Edited by Abba

I was caught in the Lexington Avenue incident. Service was fine at 8:20 am. When I transferred at 86th, a downtown (5) left the station normally, and a (4) train would come two minutes later. That was about 8:30 am. l didn't think I'd get stuck between that station and 59th Street though. I stood in the crowded train for half an hour or so as the trains before us tried to discharge their passengers. The conductor and T/O on my train said that there was a switch problem and a train that has its emergency brakes activated at 14th Street Station.

I was caught in the Lexington Avenue incident. Service was fine at 8:20 am. When I transferred at 86th, a downtown (5) left the station normally, and a (4) train would come two minutes later. That was about 8:30 am. l didn't think I'd get stuck between that station and 59th Street though. I stood in the crowded train for half an hour or so as the trains before us tried to discharge their passengers. The conductor and T/O on my train said that there was a switch problem and a train that has its emergency brakes activated at 14th Street Station.

That mess was hectic for some fellows going to Baruch and Hunter this morning, glad I go to Lower Manhattan in the mornings.

That mess was hectic for some fellows going to Baruch and Hunter this morning, glad I go to Lower Manhattan in the mornings.

It was hectic. I got to 59 street at around 8:45 on a (6) just fine, when this happened. We just waited at a station for 10 minutes and i decided to walk 10 blocks to college . I don't see why this would affect uptown service and why we couldn't leave 59.

Can a switch problem really knock out 3 out of 4 tracks around 14th Street? Must've been more than that...

A switch problem can certainly knock out the two southbound tracks.

As for the northbound express, either service was so thin that it effectively had to all run local (with the 4 and 6 not running south, they couldn't come back north, so really the only service available after this was going on for a while was the 5), or the switch repairs required the track to be occupied by employees or a work train.

Service Change Posted: 10/17/2012 6:47AM

Due to signal problems at the 125 Street Station, please expect delays on the uptown b.png and c.png trains at this time.

Service Change Posted: 10/17/2012 6:14AM

Due to a loss of power at the Lexington Avenue- 53 Street Station, there is no m.png train service in both directions between the Forest Hills-71 Avenue Station to the Essex Street Station at this time.

Service Change Posted: 10/17/2012 3:35AM

Due to a loss of power at the Lexington Avenue- 53 Street Station, downtown e.png via the f.png from the 36 Street (QNS) Station to the W 4 Street- Washington Square Station at this time.

UPDATED:

Delays Posted: 10/17/2012 7:06AM

Following an earlier incident e.png train service has resumed with residual delays.

Delays Posted: 10/17/2012 7:04AM

Following an earlier incident m.png train service has resumed with residual delays.

Service Change Posted: 10/17/2012 6:47AM

Due to signal problems at the 125 Street Station, please expect delays on the uptown b.png and c.png trains at this time.

About the loss of power at 5th ave. see this

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/170882/water-main-break-slows-down-midtown-subway

Edited by 6 Lexington Ave

Service Change Posted: 10/17/2012 2:30PM

Due to a rail condition at Lexington Av-53 St, the following service changes are in effect:

South-bound (E)trains via (M)line Roosevelt Av-Jackson Heights to W 4th St.

Metropolitan Av-bound (M) trains via (F)line 36 St (in Queens) to W 4 St.

Please expect delays in (E) and (M) train service at this time.

Sounds like another FAIL.Southbound (E) trains has to pass by the rail Condition if the above is true.

Service Change Posted: 10/18/2012 1:18AM

Due to a police investigation at the Jackson Heights- Roosevelt Avenue Station;

There is no (E) and (F) train service between the Forest Hills- Roosevelt Avenue Station and the Queens Plaza Station at this time.

Jamaica bound (E) train service terminate at the Queens Plaza Station.

Jamaica bound (F) train service terminate at the 21 Street- Queens Bridge Station.

Manhattan bound (E) and (F) train service terminate at the Forest Hills- Roosevelt Avenue Station.

Please expect delays on the (E) and (F) train service at this time.

Where is the Forest Hills- Roosevelt Avenue Station? I never heard of this station.Was it just built recently?

EDIT: Now this

Service Change Posted: 10/18/2012 1:30AM

Due to a police investigation at the 74 Street- Broadway Station, there is no (7) train service between the 61 Street- Woodside Station and the Flushing- Main Street Station in both directions at this time.

7 train service make all local stops between the Queensboro Plaza Station and the 61 Street- Woodside Station in both directions at this time.

Looks like a Bomb threat or something.Thats something though to close down these 2 lines.

Edited by Abba

Where is the Forest Hills- Roosevelt Avenue Station? I never heard of this station.Was it just built recently?

It was Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Ave-74 St-Broadway-LGA Airport

All I can say is I am SO GLAD I decided to take the Q50 home from work tonight, instead of the (7). I heard all that over sixwire as I was signing out, and headed right upstairs.

Edited by Snowblock

Guest MTA Bus

Due to switch problems at the Queensboro Plaza Station, there are no 7.png train service from the 74 Street-Broadway Station to the Times Square-42 Street Station in both directions.

As an alternate customers are advised to use the e.png, f.png, m.png and r.png train service to the Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Avenue Station were you can transfer to the 7.png train service.

Please expect delay in 7.png train service at this time

At the same time:

Delays Posted: 10/19/2012 10:07AM

Due to signal problems at the Queensboro Plaza Station, please expect delays on Main Street-bound 7.png trains at this time.

And...

Due to Debris on the platform at the 103 Street Station, uptown 6.png train service are bypassing station at this time.

Service Change Posted: 10/21/2012 10:13PM

Due to a police investigation at the Times Square- 42 Street Station, there is no Times Square- 42 Street (S)Station train in both directions between the Times Square-42 Street Station and the Grand Central- 42 Street Station.

For alternate service, please use the M42 bus which makes corresponding stops.

Please expect delays in (S) train service at this time.

This must be crazy without no (7) service.What was the threat anyway?

Edited by Abba

Whatever the threat is, it's STILL going on. Started around 2130. RCC commanded us to turn off our radios in the area of Times Square, so likely a bomb.

"customers who need to go to Grand Central, take the uptown NQR to Lex-59 for the downtown 46 which will take you to Grand Central."