Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

Service Change  Posted: 07/25/2018  7:10PM 

Some Broad St-bound (J) trains will end at Broadway Junction.

Some Metropolitan Av-bound (M) trains are stopping along the (F) line from W 4 St-Washington Sq and end at 2 Av.

Expect delays in(J) and (M) train service in both directions.

These service changes are because of a train with mechanical problems at Myrtle Av.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:50 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The (2) to New Lots seems to be the norm now. I've noticed that regularly. Not sure why either...

It's a good way to keep service running to/from Brooklyn despite any disruptions and/or capacity constraints on Nostrand Ave.

Service Change  Posted: 07/26/2018  6:41PM 

There is limited (A) and (C) service between lower Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens because of an ongoing police investigation due to two people being struck by a train at Broadway Junction. We are working with the NYPD to restore regular service, but at this time consider alternate travel options. The LIRR is accommodating NYC Transit customers at no additional charge at Jamaica, East NY, Nostrand Av, Atlantic Terminal, and Penn Station.

See a station agent for a courtesy pass for continuing subway or bus service.
For service to/from Broadway Junction, consider using the (J) or (L)lines.
For service to/from bypassed stations, take a Euclid Av-bound (C) train to transfer for local service at either Euclid Av, Utica Av, or Hoyt-Schermerhorn.

As an alternative, for local service between Euclid Av and Broadway Junction, consider taking the nearby Q24bus. Here are directions: http://bit.ly/2mODvQh

For local service between Broadway Junction and Hoyt-Schermerhorn, consider taking the nearby B25 bus. Here are directions: http://bit.ly/2LSoisy

----------------------------------------------------

(Based on SubwayTime)

(C) train service is being suspended in the NB direction (whatever trains already on the road are likely going as far up as possible)

UPDATE:

MTA Service Status

Service Change  Posted: 07/26/2018  7:01PM 

Service is resuming with extensive delays in both directions on the (A) and (C) lines between lower Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens following an earlier police investigation because of two people being struck by a train at Broadway Junction. 
The LIRR is no longer accommodating NYC Transit customers.

(A) and (C) trains are no longer bypassing Broadway Junction in both directions.
Northbound (C) trains continue to run express from Euclid Av to Broadway Junction.
See a station agent for a courtesy pass for continuing subway or bus service

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

(C) train service is being suspended in the NB direction (whatever trains already on the road are likely going as far up as possible)

The (C) wasn't suspended. For whatever reason, those NB trips didn't appear on SubwayTime until Hoyt-Schermerhorn Street during the incident.

4 minutes ago, Daniel The Cool said:

The (C) wasn't suspended. For whatever reason, those NB trips didn't appear on SubwayTime until Hoyt-Schermerhorn Street during the incident.

So north of Hoyt-Schemerhorn, they didn't show up? I'm referring to a period where the (B) was the only thing showing up on CPW local & the (A) and (E) only along 8 Avenue.

1 minute ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

So north of Hoyt-Schemerhorn, they didn't show up? I'm referring to a period where the (B) was the only thing showing up on CPW local & the (A) and (E) only along 8 Avenue.

So? Just because it didn't show up on SubwayTime doesn't mean it was suspended. I've seen it happen many times where lines hasn't shown up in SubwayTime making it look there's a huge delay or suspension when there's a huge incident when in fact trains are running either appearing later part on the SubwayTime app or not appearing at all. You can't just rely on SubwayTime with these stuff.

44 minutes ago, Daniel The Cool said:

So? Just because it didn't show up on SubwayTime doesn't mean it was suspended. I've seen it happen many times where lines hasn't shown up in SubwayTime making it look there's a huge delay or suspension when there's a huge incident when in fact trains are running either appearing later part on the SubwayTime app or not appearing at all. You can't just rely on SubwayTime with these stuff.

Maybe my wording was off. I noticed a similar gap going SB a while after I noticed the NB one. (C) trainsdid show up with readings of 15-30+ minutes away throughout the Manhattan stations, but I digress.

Anyways, here is another update:

Service Change  Posted: 07/26/2018  9:16PM 

Northbound (C) trains continue to run express from Euclid Av to Hoyt-Schermerhorn.

Northbound (A) and (C) trains are bypassing Broadway Junction

Funny how there's no mention of the B25 on here.

54 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Maybe my wording was off. I noticed a similar gap going SB a while after I noticed the NB one. (C) trainsdid show up with readings of 15-30+ minutes away throughout the Manhattan stations, but I digress.

Anyways, here is another update:

Service Change  Posted: 07/26/2018  9:16PM 

Northbound (C) trains continue to run express from Euclid Av to Hoyt-Schermerhorn.

Northbound (A) and (C) trains are bypassing Broadway Junction

Funny how there's no mention of the B25 on here.

Transit documentation discourages the use of buses to supplement a subway issues in similar circumstances due to capacity disparity, that may play a role.

Edited by Jsunflyguy

Just now, trainfan22 said:

They mentioned the B25 earlier in the disruption, they also mentioned the Q24 for local stops on the (C) line between Eucild and Broadway Junction.

Probably realized it was a bad idea to encourage the train load of people to try to take the bus.

Service Change  Posted: 07/26/2018 11:57PM 

There is no (2) train service in both directions between 110 St-Central Park North and Harlem-148 St because of a switch problem at 135 St.

As an alternative, for stations between 110 St-Central Park North and Harlem-148 St, passengers can take nearby M2M7, or M102 bus service.

(Are the shuttle buses to/from the Bronx being extended?)

Service Change  Posted: 07/27/2018 11:53AM 

There is no (W) train service in both directions because a person was struck by a train at 30 Av.

There is no (N) train service north of Queensboro Plaza.

There are considerate delays and limited service on the (N) , (Q) , and (R) lines. 

As an alternative, take Q69 or Q102 local bus which makes nearby station stops. Please see a station agent for a courtesy pass for continuing bus or subway service.

UPDATE:

Service Change  Posted: 07/27/2018  1:23PM 

Southbound (B) and (Q) trains are running with delays because of signal problems at Kings Hwy. 

Not mentioned:

• Some NB (E) trains are running local in Queens
  • Some SB (N) trains are running local in Manhattan
  • Some SB (Q) trains are running via the (N) in Brooklyn

First, service was suspended in both directions between Jefferson Avenue and Eltingville because of downed trees, then it was between Hugenot and Tottenville because of flooding (with buses being secured but not on scene), to the whole line being suspended (also with buses apparently being secured), to this:

Suspended  Posted: 07/27/2018 10:24PM 

There is no (SIR) train service at this time in either direction between St. George and Tottenville because of flooding.

As an alternative, passengers can nearby S74 or S78 bus service stopping at nearby (SIR) stations. 

Ladies and Gentleman, Staten Island!

So it was signal problems on the Q and B Lines at about 1 PM at Kings Highway that I saw three Q trains on the southbound local track from Avenue U to just beyond Sheepshead Bay? I noted that something was wrong when I saw a southbound Q on the local track not moving just south of Station and the B stopping at the station on the express track (all southbound  trains were supposed to be local and northbound trains on the express track due to track work). It must have been fixed  as I rode the southbound Q to Sheepshead Bay about an hour later and the train stopped at Avenue U and Neck Road.

This was the second week in a row that there were problems on the line on Friday at about the same time. Last week, I was on a northbound B train running local and when we reached Avenue U, the power was shut off for about ten minutes as the riders were informed that there was someone under a train at Kings Highway.

On subway time, I just saw a (D) train to Canal Street at 59th Street Columbus Circle and later 14th Street - has anyone seen this unplanned service change before? There was also a (D) train to 2nd Avenue not long after.

2 hours ago, W4ST said:

On subway time, I just saw a (D) train to Canal Street at 59th Street Columbus Circle and later 14th Street - has anyone seen this unplanned service change before? There was also a (D) train to 2nd Avenue not long after.

One of those (or both) may have been Yankee Specials. If that's case for both, it's pretty weird they would send the two via different trunks.

Delays  Posted: 07/30/2018 11:11AM 

Expect longer wait times and delays on the (N)(R) , and (D) lines in Brooklyn while we perform necessary structural repairs in the tunnel -- essential work to restore reliable service. 

Thank you for your patience.

44 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Delays  Posted: 07/30/2018 11:11AM 

Expect longer wait times and delays on the (N) , (R) and (D) lines in Brooklyn while we perform necessary structural repairs in the tunnel -- essential work to restore reliable service.

Thank you for your patience.

Why exactly is this an "Unplanned Service Change" though?? 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

15 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Why exactly is this an "Unplanned Service Change" though?? 

While it may not explicitly state it, but at any point, trains can be rerouted on other lines in order to mitigate delays. It's similar to when signal problems occur. In many cases, where alternative routes exist, trains may be rerouted down that way (but may not be listed on the MTA website).  Take a look at some of the recent posts in which the MTA website only listed "Delays". In this case, there just hasn't been any service reroutes (yet).

The (R) is also running every 12-20 minutes at this time (which is not what it is normally scheduled, but it is also not explicitly mentioned).