Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

2 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

While it may not explicitly state it, but at any point, trains can be rerouted on other lines in order to mitigate delays. It's similar to when signal problems occur. In many cases, where alternative routes exist, trains may be rerouted down that way (but may not be listed on the MTA website). The (R) is also running every 12-20 minutes at this time (which is not what it is normally scheduled, but it is also not explicitly mentioned). 

I get all of that but why would a structural repair be an unplanned change? That doesn't make any sense.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the site was now updated to show

(N) trains make local stops in both directions at 45 St and 53 St until July 2019 and still includes the delay status under the (D)(N) and (R) heading.

something tells me there will be a rush hour service reduction on the three routes for the next year because of the double merge of the (N) at 59 St and 36 St in both directions, blocking the (D) and (R).

46 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Why exactly is this an "Unplanned Service Change" though?? 

They just remembered that they planned to shut down the tracks a few weeks ago and now they just pulled the rug out from everyone.

It's a really pathetic showing. 

https://ny.curbed.com/2017/1/20/14337226/n-train-tunnel-shutdown-repair-nyc-subway

I fully agree. It was really shitty of them not to post this up on the MTA website a few weeks ago. While it's not on the same level as the (L) tunnel reconstruction, still some advance notice is needed. The only notice I got was a PA announcement this morning at Times Square, starting with the customary PC greeting "Hello everyone..." (am I the only one who still gets annoyed by that :lol:?). If it hadn't been for the discussion on the Forums and Subchat and the NY Curbed article, I would have probably dismissed it as yet another annoying "Hello everyone" PSA. Seriously Andy (Byford), don't drop the ball here!

6 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

the site was now updated to show

(N) trains make local stops in both directions at 45 St and 53 St until July 2019 and still includes the delay status under the (D)(N) and (R) heading.

something tells me there will be a rush hour service reduction on the three routes for the next year because of the double merge of the (N) at 59 St and 36 St in both directions, blocking the (D) and (R).

Those who propose ridiculous service patterns like using Broadway–Lafayette Street to get to Williamsburg from 8 Avenue ((C), (K), (M), or whatever)… take heed. The (D)(N)(R) are like 10 T.P.H. or less each, and today there was a backlog of trains all the way to Fort Hamilton Parkway ((N)) at 8:35 AM in the morning. Such merging shouldn’t be done even for emergency reroutes, and the MTA now wants to use it for regular rush hour service? Crazy. Good thing I have the (F) and (Q).

If I passed out on one of those trains during rush hour, I’d tell the emergency responders too: “(D)o (N)ot (R)esuscitate—tired of this shit show.”

I think it would be good for the (N) to run local all way with the (R)  to 57/7 from 59th st in Brooklyn during this shutdown.A lot of commuters would complain but the end result would be a LOT less merging . I saw on subway time tonight at times lots of tranins trying to get in S/B at 36th st.If my plan would be there would Be no merging whatsoever!

4 minutes ago, Abba said:

I think it would be good for the (N) to run local all way with the (R)  to 57/7 from 59th st in Brooklyn during this shutdown.A lot of commuters would complain but the end result would be a LOT less merging . I saw on subway time tonight at times lots of tranins trying to get in S/B at 36th st.If my plan would be there would Be no merging whatsoever!

that service pattern was done about 11 years ago when the connection between the south Manhattan Bridge track and the DeKalb Av bypass was out. The (N) made all stops via the (R) Coney Island-bound for one month, while the Astoria-bound (N) remained express. The service was at least 20 minutes slower, but additional cars were added to the (N) for the local service.

right now, we have a car shortage, and to provide this extra service, you would need at least 6 additional train sets (which are not even available) to run and increase the spare factor for the (N)(W) . The Whitehall St merge will then be overcrowded with the (N)(R)(W) passing thru the local track, which has very low capacity between Whitehall St and Canal St due to the sharp curves, etc.

4 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

MTA Service Status

Planned Work 
STRUCTURAL REHABILITATION | Until July 2019

(N)  Trains are making local stops in Brooklyn at 53 St and 45 St in both directions

Oy vey.

That's exactly why I'm here. How do you not announce a long-term closure? This failure to announce is a true moment that deserves Donkey of the Day!

Service Change  Posted: 08/01/2018 12:18AM 

Broad St bound (J) trains are running express from Broadway Junction to Myrtle Av because of a person struck by a train at Halsey St.

For service to Chauncey St, Halsey St, Gates Av and Kosciuszko St passengers may transfer to a Jamaica-bound  train at Myrtle Av.

Service Change  Posted: 08/01/2018  1:20AM 

There is no (7) train service between Queensboro Plaza and 34 St-Hudson Yard in both directions because of switch problems at Hunters Point Av.

As an alternative: For travel between Queens and Manhattan, use (N) train service.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Service Change  Posted: 08/01/2018  6:08PM 

Southbound (5) trains are stopping along the (2) line from 149 St-Grand Concourse to Nevins St.

Southbound (4) trains will end at Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall.

These service changes are because a train's brakes were automatically activated at Bowling Green.

Expect delays in (4) and(5) train service in both directions.

Well then...

Service Change 

Posted: 08/01/2018 10:09PM 

Southbound (5) trains are running express from Eastchester-Dyre Av to E 180 St because of a tree branch across the tracks at Baychester Av. Our crews are on scene working to clear the tree and restore regular service.

Station-Specific Alternatives:

There is no southbound (5) service at Dyre Av. See a station agent to receive a courtesy pass for continuing train or bus service. Consider transferring between the Bx16 bus and (2) service to Nereid Av. Here are directions: http://bit.ly/2mBv9LT

There is no southbound (5) service at Baychester Av. See a station agent to receive a courtesy pass for continuing train or bus service. Consider transferring between the Bx30 bus and (2) service at Gun Hill Rd. Here are directions: http://bit.ly/2LfnxNX

There is no southbound (5) service at Gun Hill Rd. See a station agent to receive a courtesy pass for continuing train or bus service. Consider transferring between the Bx28 or Bx38 bus and (2) service at Gun Hill Rd. Here are directions: http://bit.ly/2LgypLw

There is no southbound (5) service at Pelham Pkwy. See a station agent to receive a courtesy pass for continuing train or bus service. Consider transferring between the Bx12 bus and (2) service at Pelham Pkwy. Here are directions: http://bit.ly/2LvsXUp

There is no southbound (5) service at Pelham Pkwy. See a station agent to receive a courtesy pass for continuing train or bus service. Consider taking nearby (2) service at Pelham Pkwy. Here are directions: http://bit.ly/2NBOmbU

Service Change   Posted: 08/01/2018 11:18PM 

Southbound (N)(Q)(R) trains are running express from 34 St-Herald Square to Canal St, then over the Manhattan Bridge to DeKalb Av because of a person struck by a train at 8 St-NYU.

For southbound stations, take nearby (4)(6) train service stopping at nearby  (N)(Q)(R) stations.

Not mentioned:

SB (R) trains are running via 6th Avenue (of those which have originated from Forest Hills)

UPDATE:

The status now lists alternatives, but erroneously states that there's no SB service at Whitehall Street

Well, at least it didn't suspend the entire line like it (eventually) did to the (7) a few years back...

Service Change  Posted: 08/02/2018 12:51AM 

Northbound (4) and (6) trains are running express from Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall to 14 St-Union Square because a train's brakes to automatically activated because of an umbrella on the tracks at Spring St

Service Change  Posted: 08/03/2018  5:23PM 

Northbound (4) trains are running local from Crown Hts-Utica Av to Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr.

Northbound (5) trains are running local from President St to Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr.

These service changes are because of an NYPD investigation at Franklin Av.

Expect delays in (2) , (3) , (4) and (5) train service.

My (E) was heading toward 168th Street. FIND, and signage showed 168th while announcements said Lex/53. I recorded it. I took an (M) from West Fourth. It ran via the (F). We were told it was going to run express, but shortly before 36th Street Interlocking we were told it might switch to the local. It did.

Service Change  Posted: 08/05/2018 12:07AM 

There is no (A) and (D) train service in both directions between 59 St-Columbus Circle and 125 St because of switch problems at 72 St.

For service between 59 St-Columbus Circle and 125 St, passengers can take M10 or (1) train service stopping at nearby (A)(D) stations. 

On 8/3/2018 at 6:08 PM, Union Tpke said:

My (E) was heading toward 168th Street. FIND, and signage showed 168th while announcements said Lex/53. I recorded it. I took an (M) from West Fourth. It ran via the (F). We were told it was going to run express, but shortly before 36th Street Interlocking we were told it might switch to the local. It did.

It was likely done in order to reduce delays caused by the signal problem at High Street, which severely delayed both (A) and (C) service. Kudos to whoever authorized that, because I can only imagine how long people going NB would have to wait for a (C) .

31 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Service Change  Posted: 08/05/2018 12:07AM 

There is no (A) and (D) train service in both directions between 59 St-Columbus Circle and 125 St because of switch problems at 72 St.

For service between 59 St-Columbus Circle and 125 St, passengers can take M10 or (1) train service stopping at nearby (A)(D) stations. 

I have a question ? If this happend during rush would service still Be out? Something tells me no! Anyone agree? 

7 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

It was likely done in order to reduce delays caused by the signal problem at High Street, which severely delayed both (A) and (C) service. Kudos to whoever authorized that, because I can only imagine how long people going NB would have to wait for a (C) .

The issue was a stuck train in the 53rd Street Tunnel.