Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Theoretically you can still have the (4) go via 7th Av it would just end at either 148th St or 137th St. 

The MTA avoids this as the (4) is the backbone of the Lex Service and isn't easily replaced in the Bronx. Which is why the (5) is the first to go off the path.

Delays  Posted: 07/16/2019  6:38AM 

(7) train service between Queens and Manhattan is delayed in both directions because of a work train with mechanical issues in the Steinway Tube. 

(7) train service into Manhattan is limited. Consider transferring to the (E) / (F) / (M) / (R)  at 74 St-Broadway or to the (N)/ (W) at Queensboro Plaza.

<7> express service is suspended. 

6 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

Delays  Posted: 07/16/2019  6:38AM 

(7) train service between Queens and Manhattan is delayed in both directions because of a work train with mechanical issues in the Steinway Tube. 

(7) train service into Manhattan is limited. Consider transferring to the (E) / (F) / (M) / (R)  at 74 St-Broadway or to the (N)/ (W) at Queensboro Plaza.

<7> express service is suspended. 

Let the fun begin!

On this episode of "When Shopping Carts Attack" :

------------------------------------------------------

Also, this:

Part Suspended  Posted: 07/16/2019  6:18PM 

There is no Rockaway Parkway-bound (L) service south of Broadway Junction because of a train's brakes activating at New Lots Av.

Expect delays in (L) service in both directions.

See a station agent to receive a courtesy pass and go tohttp://bt.mta.info/ for real-time bus info to continue your trip.

Follow this link for more bus route information:http://bit.ly/2SjhSGI

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

On 7/15/2019 at 7:32 PM, 4 via Mosholu said:

The (5) train only has a backup via Broadway - 7th Avenue; the (4) train as well as the (6) train really don't have anywhere else to go.

It isn’t a backup because it doesn’t help folks on the east side move. A fully built 2 Avenue line would be a backup.

Looks like shopping carts might become a thing:

-----------------------------------------------------

BTW, does anyone know what happened to the (W) trains after Lexington Avenue earlier? (Q) Trains were rerouted on 6th Avenue in both directions because someone got struck by a train.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

1 minute ago, Daniel The Cool said:

The entire IRT except for the (7) is suspended due to a network communication issue... again. Its a good I've been upstate since last week.

And this is during rush hour? Gees...

temp.jpg

Edited by +Young+

When the ATS system goes down we can use the old Command Center at 370 Jay as a backup, right ? Wait, what, there's no functional backup ? Local towers and dispatchers, right ? Wow, this hi tech advanced system has me confused. This 21st century whiz bang stuff is amazing isn't it ? Carry on.

1 hour ago, Trainmaster5 said:

When the ATS system goes down we can use the old Command Center at 370 Jay as a backup, right ? Wait, what, there's no functional backup ? Local towers and dispatchers, right ? Wow, this hi tech advanced system has me confused. This 21st century whiz bang stuff is amazing isn't it ? Carry on.

I think some people don't have a true appreciation of how close to and how quickly Central Control hubs go over the brink of collapse even on normal days.

"B train service will continue running to/from the Bronx after rush hour to provide additional train service for customers impacted by the service suspension on the 4 train."

Look, they're learning.

Also someone needs to kick the MTA and FCC in the balls to approve more radio channels. Everytime there's a disruption in the field, the one or two radio channels available become saturated and virtually unintelligible. We've  gone to the micro-managing Central Control system but when it hits the fan it quite clear that Mothership can't manage the situation as it's too expansive for the minimalist staffing and total blindness to in-the-field conditions.

Edited by Jsunflyguy
format

2 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

No backup just like how all the new lines have only 2 tracks. They could at least run a parallel secondary system with 50% of the capacity of the primary system, but they don't want to pay for redundancy nowadays.

2 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

My apologies for going off-topic just for a little bit, however, in my senior year of high school, I did my Senior Thesis on the "Disadvantages of Technology."

I would have loved to use the examples above and below to prove my point, especially since this did hit the local media.

1 hour ago, Jsunflyguy said:

Also someone needs to kick the MTA and FCC in the balls to approve more radio channels. Everytime there's a disruption in the field, the one or two radio channels available become saturated and virtually unintelligible. We've  gone to the micro-managing Central Control system but when it hits the fan it quite clear that Mothership can't manage the situation as it's too expansive for the minimalist staffing and total blindness to in-the-field conditions.

The sad part about all the ATS issues is that a well manned central control with decent physical infrastructure should actually be better at dealing with large scale disruptions than a bunch of decentralized towers. Everybody's in one room, every interlocking is staffed, all trains are visible. Issue is, of course, those two equivocations: staffing and infrastructure, neither of which MTA seems to understand how to manage. 

15 minutes ago, RR503 said:

The sad part about all the ATS issues is that a well manned central control with decent physical infrastructure should actually be better at dealing with large scale disruptions than a bunch of decentralized towers. Everybody's in one room, every interlocking is staffed, all trains are visible. Issue is, of course, those two equivocations: staffing and infrastructure, neither of which MTA seems to understand how to manage. 

Isn't there a backup system in the RCC or did that fail also? (assuming a backup system actually exists...)