Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

37 minutes ago, Deucey said:

I don’t understand why they don’t just have recessed cameras on the sides of cars covering the doors and monitors in the cab so C/Rs don’t need to open the window to check the platforms.

They should have not only cameras, but also security as well, in every station and every subway car (including the cabs). This way, crimes throughout the entire subway system are vastly reduced. It also lets them see everywhere the trains go too. This way, they can keep track of their on-time performances, crowding levels on platforms and trains, and irregularity of trains. It also prevents the T/Os from using the punch boxes just to let each tower know what train they’re operating. It’s still up to them to route you correctly, however. It also helps to prevent C/Rs from answering passengers’ questions and thus delaying their assigned train.

Edited by Jemorie

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jemorie said:

They should have not only cameras, but also security as well, in every station and every subway car (including the cabs). This way, crimes throughout the entire subway system are vastly reduced. It also lets them see everywhere the trains go too. This way, they can keep track of their on-time performances, crowding levels on platforms and trains, and irregularity of trains. It also prevents the T/Os from using the punch boxes just to let each tower know what train they’re operating. It’s still up to them to route you correctly, however. It also helps to prevent C/Rs from answering passengers’ questions and thus delaying their assigned train.

you dragged it

52 minutes ago, Maxwell179 said:

you dragged it

Honestly, whatever dude.

But it's not like assaults on transit employees and/or innocent civilians in general are a minor issue anyway so. And neither should they be taken so lightly.

This will be another topic in a different thread for some other time.

Edited by Jemorie

12 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Trains Rerouted

Northbound (B) and (D) trains are running with delays because of a signal problem at 145 St.

The last stop on some northbound (D) trains will be 135 St.

Some northbound (D) trains will run via (A) line from 145 St to 207 St.

That reroute might have caused a lot of issues especially for passengers heading to The Bronx as the nearby (4) line had Woodlawn-bound trains running express.

17 minutes ago, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

That reroute might have caused a lot of issues especially for passengers heading to The Bronx as the nearby (4) line had Woodlawn-bound trains running express.

Unless they took the (C) 1 stop northbound to 155th Street and transferred to the Bx6, getting them to the 161st Street-Yankee Stadium (4) Station.

Too bad the shuttle bus doesn't help if you're trying to connect to/from the subway...

Stations Skipped  Posted: 09/08/2019  2:29AM

(2) and (4) trains are bypassing Nostrand Av in both directions while FDNY responds to extinguish a trash can fire at that station.

For service to/from Nostrand Av, use the nearby (2) Shuttle bus stopping at Nostrand Av and Eastern Parkway.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Hi, I'm new and I hope this is the right place for this.

I regularly use the CPW Local and was disappointed how the MTA handled delays in (B) Train service. According to their website, Manhattan bound trains were held at Avenue M for a bit so clearly they were late once they reached Manhattan. The MTA had all uptown (B)'s run express around 3:30 amd this was quite frustrating to witness because that only left the (C) on it's 9 minute interval.

This was very frustrating because I witnessed two (B) trains, an (A) and a (D) pass me by at 72nd Street. I apologize for the rant but I just don't understand why the MTA couldn't send an (A) or (D) local as none of them were affected by the (B) delay. This could be a different story on the weekend but this was at the start of rush hour.

Tl;dr: (B) Trains were severely delayed in Brooklyn so they all went express on CPW leaving the (C) by itself at the start of rush hour.

21 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The last sentence sounds funny.

Trains Rerouted  Posted: 09/14/2019  5:41PM

Some southbound (A) and (C) trains are running on the (F) line from W 4 St-Washington Sq to Jay St-MetroTech while we address signal problems at Canal St.

Expect delays as we work.

1.7685781.3875432614.jpg

On 8/30/2019 at 7:59 PM, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

This is super late and is no longer relevant as of now, but earlier this morning, because of switch problems at World Trade Center, some (E) trains went over the (C) after West 4th Street to Jay Street - MetroTech. The (MTA) also had rerouted an (E) all the way to Euclid Avenue (as shown on a reply to a user on the tweet). What a rare reroute to happen. 

It is a rare reroute (had not been in this thread in a while).  

On 9/7/2019 at 12:51 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Part Suspended  Posted: 09/07/2019 12:49PM

(L) train service is suspended between Broadway Junction and Canarsie-Rockaway Pkwy while NYPD responds to reports of an unauthorized person on the tracks at E 105 St.

Another reason for rebuilding Atlantic Avenue to at least four tracks so it can be a short-turn terminal. 

On 9/12/2019 at 4:06 PM, M5viaRiverside said:

Hi, I'm new and I hope this is the right place for this.

I regularly use the CPW Local and was disappointed how the MTA handled delays in (B) Train service. According to their website, Manhattan bound trains were held at Avenue M for a bit so clearly they were late once they reached Manhattan. The MTA had all uptown (B)'s run express around 3:30 amd this was quite frustrating to witness because that only left the (C) on it's 9 minute interval.

This was very frustrating because I witnessed two (B) trains, an (A) and a (D) pass me by at 72nd Street. I apologize for the rant but I just don't understand why the MTA couldn't send an (A) or (D) local as none of them were affected by the (B) delay. This could be a different story on the weekend but this was at the start of rush hour.

Tl;dr: (B) Trains were severely delayed in Brooklyn so they all went express on CPW leaving the (C) by itself at the start of rush hour.

Those two (B) trains were likely running express to get back on schedule, so running either an (A) or (D) on the local track was probably infeasible as that could have hindered (B) and/or (C) service along CPW. Since you were at 72nd Street, perhaps the best option at the time would have been to take a downtown train one stop to 59th Street - Columbus Circle, and take the uptown train there if the delays were lengthy.

When does the NYPD decide which Tracks should be closed during an investigation? Tonight out of all nights I needed to be at Sheepshead Bay ! When I got there law and behold the Manhattan bound platform was indeed closed as MTA said on their website. But thank g-d at least trains were going express .i had go to Brighton Beach to switch for a Manhattan Bound train and just missed the last (B) for the night. But how does the NYPD decide wether to power off one track or more then one track?

17 hours ago, Abba said:

When does the NYPD decide which Tracks should be closed during an investigation? Tonight out of all nights I needed to be at Sheepshead Bay ! When I got there law and behold the Manhattan bound platform was indeed closed as MTA said on their website. But thank g-d at least trains were going express .i had go to Brighton Beach to switch for a Manhattan Bound train and just missed the last (B) for the night. But how does the NYPD decide wether to power off one track or more then one track?

Only scenario I can think of is if when an unauthorized person is on the tracks, then the NYPD turns off third rail power for one track (sometimes for all tracks) so they can safely go onto the tracks to find the person. 

On 9/18/2019 at 1:11 AM, Abba said:

Actually the NYPD doesn't control which tracks are electrified or not in most cases. NYPD will notify RCC or an RTO supervisor on the scene to make the determination. Years ago I was operating my train s/b and made a stop at Baychester. There was a large black garbage bag laying across the running rails about 50 feet in front of me. I detected movement and decided to investigate. Lo and behold there was a despondent man wrapped up in the bag who claimed to be suicidal. I called Command Center and requested power removal on my track and returned to the man but kept my distance. In the meantime 2 rookie NYPD officers showed up and,  without thinking, approached the man. I used a profanity and called them over to me and told them to stand by my train and wait until the lights and AC went off. The man's hands were almost touching the third rail when I originally spoke to him and a light mist was in the air. Finally the power was removed at the same time their sarge and his driver showed up . When we were all on the platform and I told the sarge exactly what happened he told the rookies that they risked their lives being on the tracks without knowing the power situation. As they were leaving I asked the console dispatcher to restore power and he told me to wait for the motor instructor to arrive on the scene. My RTO folks know him as #1 but he was a motor instructor on the 5 line back then. I used my cellphone ( big no-no) while he called from East 180th Street and power was restored finally. I got to New Lots Yard,  made my layup, and proceeded to call Command Center. The Desk Superintendent took the phone from the console dispatcher and said he had talked with the motor instructor about the power restoration issue I had with the console dispatcher. By rule ,at that time, the person asking for a power removal was the only one allowed to ask for the power to be restored unless a supervisor was present. That meant me. The supervisor couldn't get to the scene. The Desk Superintendent said that there were so many new T/O s on the road that the console dispatchers would routinely ignore the rules and wait for a supervisor to arrive on the scene. He said that #1 had vouched for me and that he also knew my rabbi personally. My RTO folks know why I worded the power off  situation the way I  did.  You know what I didn't say.  Carry on. 

Edited by Trainmaster5
Context

Service Status

Multiple Impacts  Posted: 09/21/2019  9:30PM

There are service changes and delays in (F) and (M) train service because of a switch problem at W 4 St-Washington Sq.

The last stop on Coney Island-bound (F) trains and Metropolitan Av-bound (M) trains will be W 4 St-Washington Sq. 

The last stop on some Manhattan-bound (M) trains will be Chambers St on the (J) line.

Part Suspended  Posted: 09/21/2019  9:35PM

(E) train service between 71 Av and Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer has resumed while we continue to investigate why a train's brakes were automatically activated at Sutphin Blvd. There is no (F) train service between Forest Hills-71 Av and 179 St. Some northbound (F) trains are running on the (E) line from Briarwood to Jamaica Center.

LIRR is cross-honoring between Jamaica and Penn Station. See a station agent for a free courtesy pass for continued bus service. 

32 minutes ago, Far rockaway said:

Part Suspended  Posted: 09/21/2019  9:35PM

(E) train service between 71 Av and Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer has resumed while we continue to investigate why a train's brakes were automatically activated at Sutphin Blvd. There is no (F) train service between Forest Hills-71 Av and 179 St. Some northbound (F) trains are running on the (E) line from Briarwood to Jamaica Center.

LIRR is cross-honoring between Jamaica and Penn Station. See a station agent for a free courtesy pass for continued bus service. 

Derailment is what happened 

Edited by Daniel The Cool

Work trains are wrecking (D) service tonight. Not good to have trains bunching on 2-3 min headways at 12:45 AM -- that means somewhere on the line, somebody's gonna wait a long ass time. Big crowds developing. Bottleneck happened around Atlantic, the local track is out of service and a work train bunched in an (R), an (N), and a (D) within a minute or so.