Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was there a few hours ago and it was a stalled (E) train on the Manhattan bound express track.

Curious choice to refer to it as a "Rail Condition" then. 

Also, not to be argumentative about it, but I feel like if it were simply a stalled train they'd have towed/otherwise gotten it out of there by now. 

Edit: looking at the chain of archived email alerts the story goes down something like this:

2:45 PM: s/b E & F trains via local from 71 Av to Roosevelt Av, due to a train with mechanical problem at Roosevelt Av.

3:59 PM: UPDATED - s/b, E & F trains via local from 71 Av to Roosevelt Av, due to a train with mechanical problem at Roosevelt Av.

4:23 PM: UPDATED - b/d, E, F, M and R trains are rerouted and delayed, due to a rail condition at the Roosevelt Av Station. Details atwww.mta.info

of course the details revealed the convoluted shenanigans detailed above. 

It's curious that it IMPLIES the M is going to chambers, but it really isn't clear about it. Well it isn't clear about anything. 

In any event, I feel like this must be something fairly serious to divert trains on such a busy trunk for 3 hours at this point. I'd love to hear the whole story. 

Edited by itmaybeokay

Curious choice to refer to it as a "Rail Condition" then. 

Also, not to be argumentative about it, but I feel like if it were simply a stalled train they'd have towed/otherwise gotten it out of there by now. 

Edit: looking at the chain of archived email alerts the story goes down something like this:

2:45 PM: s/b E & F trains via local from 71 Av to Roosevelt Av, due to a train with mechanical problem at Roosevelt Av.

3:59 PM: UPDATED - s/b, E & F trains via local from 71 Av to Roosevelt Av, due to a train with mechanical problem at Roosevelt Av.

4:23 PM: UPDATED - b/d, E, F, M and R trains are rerouted and delayed, due to a rail condition at the Roosevelt Av Station. Details atwww.mta.info

of course the details revealed the convoluted shenanigans detailed above. 

It's curious that it IMPLIES the M is going to chambers, but it really isn't clear about it. Well it isn't clear about anything. 

In any event, I feel like this must be something fairly serious to divert trains on such a busy trunk for 3 hours at this point. I'd love to hear the whole story. 

Today after visiting MoMa I usually take the E/M to Court Square where I transfer to <7> and when the E came it was totally packed and I noticed on the screen where they show the time about what is going on. I saw that the M is not running to Queens so that explained the packed E train I did not get in because no space at all.

I walked all the way to Lex Ave/59th st got the (N) noticed people were waiting for the (R) seemed that they didn't know what was going on.

It was a mess really.

I passed the incident today, it seems the rail is broken is a switch and a chunk of the rail looks like its missing. There was a bunch of trackworkers working on it, boy it was a mess. Got a few (R) s to 57 St, one was signed up as (N) to Canal St.

I also heard that a (B) got sent to Forest Hills in this mess... now thats something to foam over.

I passed the incident today, it seems the rail is broken is a switch and a chunk of the rail looks like its missing. There was a bunch of trackworkers working on it, boy it was a mess. Got a few (R) s to 57 St, one was signed up as (N) to Canal St.

I also heard that a (B) got sent to Forest Hills in this mess... now thats something to foam over.

I hope the trackworkers can get it finished before the (7) train GO begins because lots of people rely on the (E) and the (F).

I agree it was a mess today. When the (E) arrived at 5th ave/53rd st at first it said Queens Blvd Exp then the sign flipped to Queens Blvd Lcl.

An R68 (B) got sent to Forest Hills? It must have taken the wrong line-up @ Rockefeller Center...

Also, with the N/B (R) terminating at 57th Street/7th Avenue, I wonder where they are going to lay-up all of those R46s, since they usually get laid-up in the Jamaica Yard, considering they do not need as many of them tomorrow?

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

An R68 (B) got sent to Forest Hills? It must have taken the wrong line-up @ Rockefeller Center...

Also, with the N/B (R) terminating at 57th Street/7th Avenue, I wonder where they are going to lay-up all of those R46s, since they usually get laid-up in the Jamaica Yard, considering they do not need as many of them tomorrow?

It possible that after the crews finally fix the rail/switch whatever that the problem is. The trains would go not in service heading to the yard late night on the express tracks possiblity

Service Change Posted: 01/27/2013 11:50AM

Due to police investigation at 4 Avenue-9 Street Station, there are no (R) trains running between Whitehall Street-South Ferry Station and Bay Ridge-95 Street Station.

Southbound (D) and (N) trains are running on the (Q) line from DeKalb Avenue Station to Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue Station.

Please allow additional travel time.

Due to police investigation at 4 Avenue-9 Street Station, there are no (R) trains running between Whitehall Street-South Ferry Station and Bay Ridge-95 Street Station.

Southbound (D) and (N) trains are running on the (Q) line from DeKalb Avenue Station to Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue Station.

If the trains are running Brighton express, I can expect the extra travel time to be from people crowding around the middle asking too many stupid questions.

Excuse me, is this train going to Brighton Beach?
Edited by CenSin

Whoa, they couldn't just send the (R) over the express between Atlantic and 36 or turn it at 36? *shrug*

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Why do you think (D) and (N) trains are running on the Brighton line?

For your info, they only wrote that the (R) is suspended between 95 and Whitehall. So I wonder why they didn't do what I mention above. And why do you think delays can happen on the (B)(D)(N)(Q)(R) between DeKalb and Prospect Park?

Edited by RollOverMyHead

For your info, they only wrote that the (R) is suspended between 95 and Whitehall. So I wonder why they didn't do what I mention above. And why do you think delays can happen on the (B)(D)(N)(Q)(R) between DeKalb and Prospect Park?

No, they also wrote that "Southbound  (D) and  (N) trains are running on the  (Q) line from DeKalb Avenue Station to Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue Station."

No, they also wrote that "Southbound  (D) and  (N) trains are running on the  (Q) line from DeKalb Avenue Station to Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue Station."

Ummm............my point was that there was a police investigation at 4 Avenue-9 Street on the BMT Fourth Avenue Line which was why I wonder how come they didn't short the (R) at 36 or run it express after Atlantic-Barclays instead of completely suspending it entirely in Brooklyn and rerouting the Coney Island-bound (D) and (N) services to the Brighton Line from DeKalb to Stillwell Avenues.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Ummm............my point was that there was a police investigation at 4 Avenue-9 Street on the BMT Fourth Avenue Line which was why I wonder how come they didn't short the (R) at 36 or run it express after Atlantic-Barclays instead of completely suspending it entirely in Brooklyn and rerouting the Coney Island-bound (D) and (N) services to the Brighton Line from DeKalb to Stillwell Avenues.

Presumably because both southbound tracks were out of service for the investigation. Power was probably cut to both tracks.

http://parkslope.patch.com/articles/man-in-critical-condition-after-jumping-in-front-of-4th-ave-r-train