Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

TRAINS REROUTED  Posted: 06/12/2020  9:35PM

Brooklyn-bound (2)(3) trains are delayed and/or re-routed while we get help for someone who fell onto the tracks at Park Pl. 

(2) trains will either run on the (5) line from 149 St - Grand Concourse to Nevins St, or will end at 14 St or Chambers St.
(3) trains will end at either 14 St or Chambers St.

There is no Brooklyn-bound (2)(3) service on the West Side of Manhattan. Transfer to the (7) at Times Sq - 42 St, then to the (4)(5) at Grand Central - 42 St. Alternatively, transfer to the (L) at 14 St, then take an (N)(Q) train at 14 St - Union Sq.   

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOCAL TO EXPRESS  Posted: 06/13/2020 11:06PM

Uptown (A) and (C) trains are running on the express track from 59 St - Columbus Circle to 125 St while emergency teams respond to someone who was struck by a train at 125 St.

For service to/from the bypassed stations, take a downtown local train.

UPDATE:

MULTIPLE IMPACTS  Posted: 06/13/2020 11:36PM

There are delays and multiple impacts to (A) and (D) train service while emergency teams respond to someone who was struck by a train at 145 St.

Uptown (A) trains are running on the express track from 59 St - Columbus Circle to 125 St

Uptown (A) and (D) trains will be bypassing 125 St.

For service to/from the bypassed stations, take a downtown local train.

BTW, what would happen when there are unplanned suspensions or holding of trains in stations which would impact the final departures? Are the people at those stations basically SOL?

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 06/14/2020 12:35AM

Canarsie-bound (L) trains will arrive and depart from the 8 Av-bound platforms at Bedford Av1 Av, and 3 Av stations while our crews perform temporary track maintenance in the Canarsie Tunnel.
Expect longer wait times in both directions.

EDIT:

Another incident on the (A) . Not on the MTA website.  The last Leffets Blvd Train (Shuttle from Euclid) is scheduled to leave in less than 10 minutes (which might be delayed), and the last uptown train is apparently affected by this (Subway Time has been turned off, so I can't tell exactly what's going on here). 

LOCAL TO EXPRESS  Posted: 06/21/2020 11:08PM

34 St-bound (7) trains are running on the express track from 74 St - Broadway to Queensboro Plaza while emergency teams respond to someone who was struck by a train at Queensboro Plaza.

For service to/from the bypassed stations, take a Main St-bound train.

*34 St-bound (7) trains will arrive on the Main St-bound track at Queensboro Plaza and Court Sq.

UPDATE:

Stations Skipped  Posted: 6/21/20 11:29 PM

Southbound (N) trains are bypassing Queensboro Plaza while emergency teams are responding to someone who was struck by a train at that station.

For service to/from Queensboro Plaza, take a northbound train.

32 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

LOCAL TO EXPRESS  Posted: 06/21/2020 11:08PM

34 St-bound (7) trains are running on the express track from 74 St - Broadway to Queensboro Plaza while emergency teams respond to someone who was struck by a train at Queensboro Plaza.

For service to/from the bypassed stations, take a Main St-bound train.

*34 St-bound (7) trains will arrive on the Main St-bound track at Queensboro Plaza and Court Sq.

Good thing CBTC allows for bidirectional running on the HPA to QBP segment.

But isnt there a crossover before QBP that will allow trains to not have to run express from 74th? Unless the incident is fouling the crossover or the power is cut I guess. 

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 06/22/2020 12:24AM

8 Av-bound (L) trains will arrive and depart on the Canarsie-bound track between Broadway Jct and Myrtle - Wyckoff Avs because of NYPD activity at Wilson Av.

Expect delays in both directions.

Last trains may leave their terminals as early as 12am. You can find the last scheduled trains for each station at mta.info/overnight.

51 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Good thing CBTC allows for bidirectional running on the HPA to QBP segment.

But isnt there a crossover before QBP that will allow trains to not have to run express from 74th? Unless the incident is fouling the crossover or the power is cut I guess. 

From what it looks like, the person was struck on the Manhattan-bound (7) platform. To use the Queens-bound platform at Queensboro Plaza, those trains need to have been on the express track (can't access it from the local track east of 33rd). 

The Nostrand Avenue Line has been seeing it's fair share of issues lately. This may evolve.

DELAYS  Posted: 06/23/2020  4:41PM

(2)(5) trains are delayed in both directions in Brooklyn between Franklin Av and Flatbush Av - Brooklyn College because of a switch problem at Flatbush Av - Brooklyn College

7 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The Nostrand Avenue Line has been seeing it's fair share of issues lately. This may evolve.

DELAYS  Posted: 06/23/2020  4:41PM

(2)(5) trains are delayed in both directions in Brooklyn between Franklin Av and Flatbush Av - Brooklyn College because of a switch problem at Flatbush Av - Brooklyn College

And because of the switch arrangement, that junction is pretty much a single point of failure for the Nostrand Avenue branch and an everpresent liability for the Eastern Parkway extension east. An IRT Utica Avenue branch would provide an convenient excuse to do some deinterlining, thus allowing containment of problems.

Edited by CenSin

39 minutes ago, CenSin said:

And because of the switch arrangement, that junction is pretty much a single point of failure for the Nostrand Avenue branch and an everpresent liability for the Eastern Parkway extension east. An IRT Utica Avenue branch would provide an convenient excuse to do some deinterlining, thus allowing containment of problems.

And the platform arrangement at Flatbush Av makes things worse. I'm not sure why there are designated platforms for the (2) and (5) when it just adds confusion...

2 hours ago, CenSin said:

Actually trains can terminate at Church Avenue,  relay south of the station and re-enter the station on the n/b platform. Same thing at President St although many crews are unfamiliar with the move. The s/b B44 bus is upstairs to continue the journey to Flatbush-Brookyn College. I used to teach my students how to make those moves but I don't know if it's taught these days. Of course it depends on how the switches are set. Trouble at the crossover at Flatbush could conceivably create crew and hours of service problems that could ripple up both the (2) and the (5) lines. Luckily this wasn't the case.  Carry on. 

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

And the platform arrangement at Flatbush Av makes things worse. I'm not sure why there are designated platforms for the (2) and (5) when it just adds confusion...

Because it's side platforms instead of an island. Islands wouldn't matter, but with sides, one wouldn't know which train was which right away and could get on the wrong one.

Let's not be mad about a passenger consideration being given for once.

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

Because it's side platforms instead of an island. Islands wouldn't matter, but with sides, one wouldn't know which train was which right away and could get on the wrong one.

Let's not be mad about a passenger consideration being given for once.

This particular terminal has always been problematic at times. When I started out we had 9 car(3) trains midday and evenings so the only confusion was " which train is next ?". Rush hours brought 10 car (4) trains to add to the (3) service. At that time all Lexington service was on the dispatcher's side along with the full time token booth. When the southern terminals were swapped the main Lexington and Seventh Avenue platforms did the same. There were times when two, three or more Lexington trains would arrive back to back to back but the Flatbush dispatcher on the PM was well liked by us that we M/M would climb down and cross the tracks to help clear up the congestion. IMO it's easier today because both lines use the same R142 fleet and no individual car sign changes are necessary. Scroll down and push a button on the console and that's it. Our PM dispatcher had to use the station PA to announce " changeover " to alert the platform conductors that this particular train was headed toward 241st Street and not Dyre. Bronx thru Express.  I always thought that wherever you entered that station and a train was about to depart don't run from platform to platform. Take any train to Newkirk Avenue and change there if you must. Not a rocket science concept to me.  Carry on. 

Edited by Trainmaster5

38 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I always thought that wherever you entered that station and a train was about to depart don't run from platform to platform. Take any train to Newkirk Avenue and change there if you must. Not a rocket science concept to me.

Quite a difficult concept for some people. I see it regularly at Brighton Beach. People who want the (B) get on the not departing train when they could’ve transferred at Sheepshead Bay. In the opposite direction, some people stay on the (B) when a transfer opportunity presented itself at Sheepshead Bay, only to get mad at Brighton Beach when the (Q) gets away.

I’m sure you train operators and conductors have seen plenty of folks who ask questions with very obvious answers—the answers on the sign which they didn’t even bother to read. “Excuse me, is this a (1) train?” (at Rector Street)

Flatbush Ave used to be one of my home stations, till this day it's my favorite terminal in the system. Many memories of going down to that station to see Redbird (2) trains making that loud humming noise, as a kid I obviously had little to no knowledge of subway car inner workings so I thought the trains were warming up for their long run to the BX lol.

In addition to that, I love the unique setup of the terminal. The side platforms never bothered me. IIRC, before the digital countdown clocks were installed there was this old school sign that lit up telling which train on which track was leaving first. Similar to the sign at DeKalb station downtown BK.

There was an entrance to the station south of the bumper blocks so you could just enter there for easy access to both platforms.

I also remember the NTT and SMEEs having separate stop car markers on the track where the (5) terminates on. That's the only terminal in the system where I seen such a thing.

3 hours ago, CenSin said:

Quite a difficult concept for some people. I see it regularly at Brighton Beach. People who want the (B) get on the not departing train when they could’ve transferred at Sheepshead Bay. In the opposite direction, some people stay on the (B) when a transfer opportunity presented itself at Sheepshead Bay, only to get mad at Brighton Beach when the (Q) gets away.

Ohhhh yes the whole Brighton Beach-Sheepshead Bay thing... I'm assuming the people that get mad, however, are not regular riders, since everyone knows the (B) is going have to stall s/b at Sheepshead for about 5 minutes while the (Q)  dashes out of there... or even just the fact that the (Q) is faster (well, at least it USED to be) due to its R160s.

Edited by Bay Ridge Express

7 hours ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

Ohhhh yes the whole Brighton Beach-Sheepshead Bay thing... I'm assuming the people that get mad, however, are not regular riders, since everyone knows the (B) is going have to stall s/b at Sheepshead for about 5 minutes while the (Q)  dashes out of there... or even just the fact that the (Q) is faster (well, at least it USED to be) due to its R160s.

I have my doubts. They fit the demographics of the area to a T.

On rare occasion, it is possible to not transfer at Sheepshead Bay and catch an earlier (Q) at Brighton Beach. I’ve done it once when all the (Q) trains were extremely delayed with trains backed up to Avenue U. I think I skipped like 3 trains in the queue.

Edited by CenSin

38 minutes ago, Abba said:

You can check subway time and take your gamble. Or check when is that train scheduled time to leave Brighton beach and decide

I check my information streams diligently. Not all the information is reliable. Heck. even when the displays say “arriving in 1 minute” the train doesn’t even show up for the next 10 minutes sometimes.

MULTIPLE IMPACTS  Posted: 06/24/2020  1:16PM

Northbound (6) trains are running on the express track from 14 St - Union Sq to Grand Central - 42 St while NYPD and EMS respond to someone struck by a train at 28 St.
For service to/from bypassed stations, take a southbound  train.
Northbound (5) trains are running on the (2) line from Nevins St to 149 St - Grand Concourse, then on their regular route to Eastchester - Dyre Av.
Expect delays in (4)(5) and (6) trains. 

DELAYS  Posted: 06/24/2020  2:24PM

(7) trains are proceeding with delays in both directions after we moved multiple trains that had their brakes activated at Mets-Willets Point.

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

(7) trains are proceeding with delays in both directions after we moved multiple trains that had their brakes activated at Mets-Willets Point

I wonder how many of these are related to signal malfunctions and bypasses, or some electrical fault.

I doubt anyone is actually opening the box and pulling the rope.

TRAINS REROUTED  Posted: 06/24/2020  5:31PM

(F) trains are rerouted in both directions while emergency teams respond to someone who was struck by a train at 57 St.

Some Coney Island-bound (F) trains are running on the (E) line from Jackson Hts - Roosevelt Av to W 4 St - Wash Sq.

Some Coney Island-bound (F) trains are running on the (E) line from Jackson Hts - Roosevelt Av to Queens Plaza and then on the (G) line to Bergen St.

Jamaica-bound (F) trains are running on the (M) line from 47-50 Sts - Rockefeller Ctr to Jackson Hts - Roosevelt Av.

Expect extensive delays in (F) service in both directions.

SOME REROUTES  Posted: 06/24/2020  5:38PM

Some Metropolitan Av-bound (M) trains are running on the (E) line from 36 St to W 4 St - Wash Sq while emergency teams respond to someone who was struck by a train at 57 St on the (F) line.

Also via Twitter: Jamaica-bound (J) trains are running local in Brooklyn