Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

On 8/4/2020 at 1:47 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Right now there's (B) and (D) trains going along 8th Avenue going wherever they're going (whether uptown or Downtown). 

Only 1 (B) and (D) Train went down via 8th Avenue during that mess. That (D) Train went all the way to Euclid and the (B) Train went via 8th Avenue to World Trade Center and went back Uptown via 8th Avenue all the way to Bedford Park Blvd. It all had to do with a signal problem between West 4th Street and Broadway Lafayette Street on the southbound tracks.

Interesting though is that the Southbound (B) Trains ended at five different locations during the whole mess before it was suspended entirely. Two went via West End (D) to Bay Parkway, one turned at Prospect Park, then 2nd Avenue obviously, the one that went to World Trade Center and one turned at 34th Street-Herald Square due to the Broadway-Lafayette Street incident. 

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/27/2020 at 6:32 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Southbound (R) trains are stopping along the (F) line from 36 St (Qns) to Lexington Av/63 St then via the (Q) line to 57 St - 7 Av.

Gotta admire how resilient the Queens Boulevard Line is with all these redundant East River tunnel crossings. I don’t think there’s much that could knock out the trunk.

• Crosstown Line down? Nothing happens to Queens Boulevard.
  • 53 Street Tunnel down? (E)(M) via 63 Street, some (F) via Crosstown Line, and (E) to Whitehall Street via 59 Street if necessary.
  • 59 Street Tunnel down? (R) via 63 Street.
  • 63 Street Tunnel down? (F) via 63 Street, and some via Crosstown Line.

When I look at what we’re building nowadays… one incident and the whole line is out-of-order. Go get a bus.

4 hours ago, CenSin said:

Gotta admire how resilient the Queens Boulevard Line is with all these redundant East River tunnel crossings. I don’t think there’s much that could knock out the trunk.

• Crosstown Line down? Nothing happens to Queens Boulevard.
  • 53 Street Tunnel down? (E)(M) via 63 Street, some (F) via Crosstown Line, and (E) to Whitehall Street via 59 Street if necessary.
  • 59 Street Tunnel down? (R) via 63 Street.
  • 63 Street Tunnel down? (F) via 63 Street, and some via Crosstown Line.

When I look at what we’re building nowadays… one incident and the whole line is out-of-order. Go get a bus.

The last time the QBL was knock out like that (suspensions) was in January. Now, the context of that situation was that a broken rail occurred at Steinway, and the express tracks were out of service. The Q32 and (N) trains were basically putting in that work, because if I'm not mistaken, the (7) was not running into Manhattan that weekend as well which made matters a lot worse. But yes, thankfully those are only a very small minority of instances. 

Also, on the weekends when the (F) ran via Broadway, if something happened on 63rd Street, trains were simply rerouted via 60th Street. Same thing when other trunks are also affected. 

While I favor streamlining the system to avoid conflicting train movements, which would mean no longer having regular QBL service on the 60th street tunnel, I can certainly appreciate the redundancy that is built into the system for emergency reroutes.

Stay tuned?

MULTIPLE IMPACTS  Posted: 08/14/2020 10:01PM

(E) , (F) , (M) and (R) trains are delayed and/or re-routed in both directions on Queens Boulevard because of two ongoing incidents. There is no (E) or (F) service past Forest Hills - 71 Av

Not Mentioned:

• WTC-bound (E) trains are running local in Queens

EDIT:

There was a person on the tracks at Sutphin Boulevard, and power needed to be cut off east of 71st Avenue. Also, there's a track fire near Queens Plaza. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

MULTIPLE IMPACTS  Posted: 08/15/2020  9:23PM

There are multiple impacts to (A) train and sr.png service because of a temporary loss of power in the Rockaways.

Southbound a.png trains will end at Euclid Av. Expect delays in both directions.

sr.png is temporarily suspended.

Consider nearby Q52-SBS and Q53-SBS buses for service to/from the Rockaways.

PART SUSPENDED  Posted: 08/18/2020  8:58PM

(3) service is partially suspended in both directions between Crown Hts-Utica Av and New Lots Av while the NYPD responds to an unauthorized person on the tracks near Junius St.
For service between Crown Hts-Utica Av and New Lots Av, take nearby B14, B15 and crosstown B6, B7, B20, B60, and B83 buses.

There is no (A) train service between Inwood-207 St and 145 St in both directions while we get FDNY assistance with a report of smoke near 181 St.

Some northbound (A) trains are stopping along the (D) line from 125 St and will end Bedford Park Blvd.

There is limited (C) train service between 145 St and 168 St in both directions.

Some northbound (A) and (C) trains will end at Chambers St or 125 St.

As an alternative, consider using (1) train service or Bx7/M3/M4 bus service.

Posted: 8/20/20 5:45 PM

PART SUSPENDED  Posted: 08/21/2020  7:14PM

Coney Island-bound (B)(Q) trains are delayed and/or re-routed while we investigate why a train’s brakes were activated at Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr.

Coney Island-bound (B) trains are running on the (D) line from DeKalb Av to Coney Island-Stillwell Av.

Coney Island-bound (Q) trains are running on the (N) line from DeKalb Av to Coney Island-Stillwell Av.

There is temporarily no southbound service on the (B)(Q) lines between DeKalb Av and Coney Island-Stillwell Av.

I feel like this reroute and service suspension happens at least twice a week :

(2)(3) service is temporarily suspended in both directions between 96 St and Harlem-148 St /149 St-Grand Concourse because someone was struck by a train at 116 St.

(2) trains will operate via the (5) line in both directions between Nevins St and 149 St-Grand Concourse.

(3) train departures from Harlem-148 St are suspended. Limited (3) service will operate between New Lots Av and 137 St-City College on the (1) line.

Expect delays on the (1) line and (4) line while they share their tracks with re-routed (2)(3) trains.

Posted: 8/25/20 4:16 PM

Weekday Service

• 3 weeks later...

MULTIPLE IMPACTS  Posted: 09/09/2020 10:38PM

While NYPD investigates a report of an unauthorized person on the tracks in the tunnel between East Broadway and York St, the following service changes are in effect:

Some Jamaica-bound (F) trains are rerouted on the (G) line from Bergen St to Queens Plaza then resuming their regular route.

Some Coney Island-bound (F) trains are ending at 2 Av where they will turn back towards Jamaica-179 St.

Brooklyn-bound (A) and (C) trains are delayed.

For service between Manhattan and Brooklyn, consider taking nearby (D)(N)(Q)(R) trains. 

Not Mentioned:

• Some SB (F) trains are operating on the (E) from Jackson Heights to Queens Plaza, then via the (G) to Bergen Street

UPDATE:

MULTIPLE IMPACTS  Posted: 09/09/2020 10:47PM

While NYPD investigates a report of an unauthorized person on the tracks in the tunnel between East Broadway and York St, the following service changes are in effect:

Some Jamaica-bound (F) trains are rerouted on the (G) line from Bergen St to Queens Plaza then resuming their regular route.

Some Coney Island-bound (F) trains are ending at 2 Av where they will turn back towards Jamaica-179 St.

Some Queens-bound (A) trains are ending at 59 St-Columbus Circle where they will turn back for service towards Inwood-207 St

For service between Manhattan and Brooklyn, consider taking nearby (D)(N)(Q)(R) trains. 

According the the NYCT Subway Twitter account, someone may have been struck at 125th Street on the (A)(C)(D) . Stay tuned. 

Update:

DELAYS  Posted: 09/12/2020  2:02PM

Northbound (D) trains are running express from 59 St-Columbus Circle to 125 St while FDNY assists a person who was struck by a train at 125 St.

Expect delays on northbound (A) , (C) and (D) trains.

There is no northbound local service at 72 St, 81 St-Museum of Natural History, 86 St, 96 St, 103 St, Cathedral Pkwy (110 St) or 116 St.

Reminder: (C) trains run express all weekend from Canal St to 125 St because of track maintenance.

If your stop is skipped, take a southbound (C) train.

17 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

3 minor injuries. Now if items were thrown onto the tracks, could that be treated as a terrorist incident?

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-train-derails-after-unhinged-straphanger-throws-object-onto-tracks-20200920-gdtnd5ngkfcuhoeq566csuxx3i-story.html

Daily News is reporting that wooden planks were clamped onto the tracks by a person who was apprehended at the station.

31 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

Someone clamped a plank onto the tracks, and was arrested for it. Such should be prosecuted as an act of terrorism.

Yikes, I don't know why people just think it's a good idea to destroy trains and ruin everyone else's travelling. 8th Av no trains running because of the derailment, 6th Av because of Track Maintenance, well the (E) is running, but it's going to get crowded real quick, (F) trains had to be rerouted via the (G). I think the list goes further than that, but that is just off the top of my head.

52 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

Someone clamped a plank onto the tracks, and was arrested for it. Such should be prosecuted as an act of terrorism.

One thing I've noticed about you is that you tend to push for extremes over things that (probably) don't remotely justify such.

I honestly doubt that politics played any role in this, and as such, I would only support prosecution that grave if a political motive can be credibly established.