Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

Interesting how 39th Avenue is supposedly being used as a terminal. How does that work? The only way I see it is that trains are using the southbound track at Queensboro Plaza and terminating on the northbound track at 39th Avenue. 

MULTIPLE IMPACTS  Posted: 01/29/2021  2:31PM

(N) and (W) trains are delayed and/or rerouted because of a signal malfunction at Queensboro Plaza.

Some northbound (N) and (W) trains are stopping along the (Q) line from 57 St-7 Av and will end at 96 St.

Some northbound (N) and (W) trains will end at Times Sq-42 St or 39 Av-Dutch Kills.

Expect significant delays in both directions.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posted: 1/29/21 4:43 PM
There are delays and reroutes in (2)(3)(4) and (5) train service while our crews work to correct a switch problem near Nostrand Av.    

Northbound (2)(3)(4), and (5) trains are holding in stations in Brooklyn.

Southbound (2) and (3) trains end at Times Sq-42 St, Chambers St or South Ferry and turn for northbound service.

Southbound (4) and (5)  trains end at Bowling Green and turn for northbound service.

Posted: 1/29/21 4:49 PM
(B) and (D) trains are running with delays in both directions because of a signal malfunction at Tremont Av.  

Posted: 1/29/21 4:31 PM
Southbound (B) and (C) trains are bypassing 135 St while we get medical assistance for someone at that station.

Edited by Vulturious

17 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Interesting how 39th Avenue is supposedly being used as a terminal. How does that work? The only way I see it is that trains are using the southbound track at Queensboro Plaza and terminating on the northbound track at 39th Avenue. 

MULTIPLE IMPACTS  Posted: 01/29/2021  2:31PM

(N) and (W) trains are delayed and/or rerouted because of a signal malfunction at Queensboro Plaza.

Some northbound (N) and (W) trains are stopping along the (Q) line from 57 St-7 Av and will end at 96 St.

Some northbound (N) and (W) trains will end at Times Sq-42 St or 39 Av-Dutch Kills.

Expect significant delays in both directions.

Yeah that 39 Av terminal operation doesn’t sound practical, since you’d have to single track thru Queensboro Plaza anyways. Might as well have just kept the (N) running in Astoria while single tracking at Queensboro Plaza (yes, some (N) trains would be terminating at Times Sq-42 St) and all (W) trains rerouted to 96 St

EXPRESS TO LOCAL  Posted: 01/31/2021  3:20PM

Northbound (Q) trains are making local stops from Canal St to 34 St-Herald Sq while NYPD responds to a passenger being disruptive at 34 St-Herald Sq.

TRAINS REROUTED  Posted: 01/31/2021  3:21PM

There are delays and reroutes in (Q) and (R) train service while our crews correct a switch problem at DeKalb Av.

Southbound (Q) trains are running on the (R) line from Canal St to DeKalb Av.

The last stop on some northbound (Q) trains will be Prospect Park

Southbound (R) trains are running on the (N) line from Canal St to Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr, bypassing DeKalb Av, and then running express to 36 St in Brooklyn.

There was an (N) to 96th Street reading at Grand Street and along the 6th Avenue line not too long ago, wonder what that was all about. 

47 minutes ago, Deucey said:

3) Did the railroads shut down too?

At this time, lines and branches have either stopped running, or have trains making their last trips. 

EDIT:

Well this sucks:

PART SUSPENDED  Posted: 02/01/2021  4:49PM

There is no (N) and (R) train service in both directions in Brooklyn while our crews work to correct a switch problem at DeKalb Av.

The last stop on the (N) train will be Whitehall St-South Ferry.

The last stop on the (R) train will be Jay St-MetroTech.

For alternate service, take a (2)(3)(4) or (5) train, or see buses near you at bt.mta.info.  

35 minutes ago, Maxwell179 said:

no fr , I feel bad for anyone living in the Bronx that needs any train other than the (D) to get home 

I was thinking about visiting a cousin off 3rd Av today; I’m not walking 20 blocks from 149th. I did a walk around my hood earlier - that was enough.

Part Suspended

(7) service is temporarily suspended between Queensboro Plaza and 74 St-Broadway while NYPD responds to several people on the tracks between 46 St-Bliss St and 52 St.

For service between Queensboro Plaza and 74 St-Broadway, see a station agent and receive a courtesy pass for continuing service.

Consider taking Q32, Q53-SBS, and Q60 bus service.

For service between Queens and Manhattan, consider taking (E)(F)(M)(R) trains.

Posted: 2/2/21 6:45 PM

Northbound  (4) and (5) trains are running on the local track from ‌Grand Central-42 St‌ to ‌125 St‌ while we store trains underground.

Board northbound (4) and (5) on the upper level at ‌59 St‌ and ‌86 St‌.

Posted: 2/2/21 6:37 PM

Northbound (N) trains are stopping along the (D) line from Coney Island-Stillwell Av to 36 St in Brooklyn while we investigate why a train's brakes were activated at 86 St.

For service to/from bypassed stations, use southbound (N) service or transfer at 62 St.

Posted: 2/3/21 5:02 PM

• 3 weeks later...

(B)(D)(Q) service is disrupted while we move a train with a mechanical problem off of the Manhattan Bridge. 

(B) Trains

In Brooklyn, northbound trains are only running from Brighton Beach to Prospect Park, the last stop.

Any trains that have passed Prospect Park will run on the (N) line from Canal St to Times Sq-42 St, the last stop.

(D) Trains

Northbound trains that depart from Coney Island-Stillwell Av are running on the (F) line from to Broadway-Lafayette St.

Trains that are in Brooklyn and have already departed will run on the (N) line from DeKalb Av to 57 St-7 Av and then on the (Q) line to 96 St, the last stop.

(Q) Trains

Some northbound trains are running on the (N) line from Coney Island-Stillwell Av to DeKalb Av.

Posted: 2/19/21 8:52 AM

I have a question about last nights advisory about Queens service. There was a mention of issues at 46th St and a suspension of service between Queens and Manhattan . I don’t know what happened or when it cleared up but the (MTA) site mentioned (E)(F)(M) and (R) service being suspended because of issues at Queensborough Plaza . I’m figuring that the site meant Queens Plaza but does anyone know what was going on in that area. Just curious. Carry on.

8 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I have a question about last nights advisory about Queens service. There was a mention of issues at 46th St and a suspension of service between Queens and Manhattan . I don’t know what happened or when it cleared up but the (MTA) site mentioned (E)(F)(M) and (R) service being suspended because of issues at Queensborough Plaza . I’m figuring that the site meant Queens Plaza but does anyone know what was going on in that area. Just curious. Carry on.

From what I remembered, it was a power outage. It returned back to normal around 8:45 PM or later. (E) trains were basically the (K) running to 168 St, (B) trains were rerouted express because of the (E) interfering, although I don't know why they didn't extend (B) service into the Bronx, Concourse was screwed because of it. (M) trains didn't really have a place to terminate because they terminated the (F) at either West 4th or 42 St with some at Lexington-63 St so (M) trains ran to Chambers.  (R) service ran to 96 St-2 Av to terminate with the (Q), (N) and (W) service was still fine. (D) trains also had to run local on 6th Av to make room for the (F) terminating, this situation could've been handled better if they at least extended service that got screwed elsewhere like the (M) to Bay Parkway and as I mentioned before, the (B) to the Bronx because the (D) got shafted out of everybody that whole situation. This is basically all the details I got about the whole mess.

17 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

So I'm on the (W) at Broadway, and the entire Astoria line just lost power...

Yup, power was just lost near that area.

-

Southbound (N)  and (W) trains are delayed in both directions in Queens while we investigate a temporary loss of third-rail power near 39 Av-Dutch Kills. 

Posted: 2/19/21 8:55 PM

-

*Edit* Power was restored there in the southbound direction (according to (MTA) twitter).

Southbound (N) and (W) trains are proceeding after our crews restored third-rail power near 39 Av-Dutch Kills. Continue to expect delays while our crews work to get trains back on schedule.  

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

5 hours ago, Vulturious said:

From what I remembered, it was a power outage. It returned back to normal around 8:45 PM or later. (E) trains were basically the (K) running to 168 St, (B) trains were rerouted express because of the (E) interfering, although I don't know why they didn't extend (B) service into the Bronx, Concourse was screwed because of it. (M) trains didn't really have a place to terminate because they terminated the (F) at either West 4th or 42 St with some at Lexington-63 St so (M) trains ran to Chambers.  (R) service ran to 96 St-2 Av to terminate with the (Q), (N) and (W) service was still fine. (D) trains also had to run local on 6th Av to make room for the (F) terminating, this situation could've been handled better if they at least extended service that got screwed elsewhere like the (M) to Bay Parkway and as I mentioned before, the (B) to the Bronx because the (D) got shafted out of everybody that whole situation. This is basically all the details I got about the whole mess.

I see your perspective as a commuter or as a railfan (keep 'em moving) but as a dispatcher or an RTO crew member you have violated a basic premise that we were taught back in the ancient times,  KISS. Depending on how long this went on ,and any G.O. in effect isolate the n/b (E) service on the express track between Canal and 50th  after being discharged. Same thing applies to the (F) between West Fourth and 57-6th.  (A) and (C) local on Eighth and (B) and (D) local on Sixth Avenue with the discharged trains stacked on the express tracks. (R) to 57-7th or 96th with the (Q) with the (M) to Essex or Chambers. This was called the KISS principle aka keep it simple,  stupid,  because rerouting trains to foreign terminals means losing the crew and the equipment when service returns to a normal operation. An (E) crew at 168th St is useless to the (E) dispatcher at Jamaica Center,  especially if they were scheduled to make another trip from Jamaica to WTC  or Delancey-Essex under the recent G.O. . The same would apply to the (F) dispatcher at 179 st or the supervision at 71st Avenue on QB. Stacked trains give the supervision a chance whereas the alternative might leave them with a couple of arriving trains with finishing crews. Try sending them back out when you have nobody available because some genius sent your scheduled people elsewhere. Just another thing to consider.  Carry on. 

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/transit/2021/02/21/disabled-4-train-causes-delays-across-the-entire-subway-system

Disabled Train Causes Delays Across the Entire Subway System
By Spectrum News Staff Manhattan
PUBLISHED 11:13 AM ET Feb. 21, 2021
MANHATTAN — Hundreds of subway riders were evacuated from a disabled train Sunday morning, causing significant delays.

The MTA said emergency brakes on a northbound 4 train were activated around 7 a.m. near the 28th Street station in Manhattan. Two hundred sixty-six riders were safely taken off the train, causing disruptions on the Lexington avenue line.

According to the MTA, the train has since been removed, but there were residual delays. The Fire Department says debris on the subway tracks prevented the train from moving forward.