Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So here's the story. I was on the Jamaica bound (F) , when we arrived at Roosevelt Ave there was a (F) across the platform on the local track. The other (F) left first, and then an (E) pulled in behind it! We were cleared to leave first, and then we left, we switched to the local track but went express, SLOWLY. During the crawl to Forest Hills, we were passed by an (E) and 2 (F) 's on the express tracks at full speed. :angry:  We get to 71st Ave and the last (F) that passed is waiting across the platform. They weren't sure which train was leaving first. It turned out the one across the platform was leaving first ,so people ran across to the other (F). We leave first and then we slowly proceed. After Parsons Blvd, we're held between stations for a few mins. People are getting irritated because of the mess, and most of us have to catch a bus.

Get to 169th finally. I run out to make sure I don't miss the 10PM bus (it was like 10:02), the next bus was at 22:20. There were already people waiting, so the people from my train added to the line.  The bus arrived, we started boarding and it was SRO, as the last couple of people were boarding, more started rising from the subway! Another (F) had come, and just as those people were almost finished boarding, MORE people started running from the Subway. The bus was Packed. Train delays can really F up the buses. 

Anyway, anyone knows what was going on with QB last night?

Apparently he survived with only a minor injury

From Newsday (www.newsday.com/news/new-york/man-dives-between-tracks-as-nyc-subway-approaches-1.6611666)

A man who fell onto the tracks on front of a New York City subway train survived when police say he dove into the deep roadbed between the rails as the train passed over him.

Police say Ralph Mercado was hospitalized in stable condition with only a bruised hand after Saturday's hair-raising incident at Union (Square) Station in Manhattan.

The Lex was comically bad this morning due to a signal problem at 42nd. During the peak of the rush there was no northbound (6) service, no northbound express (4)(5) and many (5) trains running via the (2). I've never been on a train more crushed than the local (4) I caught at 14th, and word from some coworkers is they waited 25 minutes for a train they could fit on after that one passed. Platform overcrowding was at a pretty dangerous level, lucky nobody was hurt.

Police investigation occurred at Flatbush during the evening rush right now. All (2) and (5) trains are running to/from Utica and/or New Lots. The B44 bus is the alternative. I just got off a (5) at Utica five minutes ago. There was also a (3) across the platform waiting.

Good thing selected (5) trains, however, are also originating/terminating at either East 180th Street or Bowling Green to avoid congestion at the already bottlenecks of the Nostrand Junction and near Utica Avenue. The (4) and (5) trains are always prone to delays, bunching and gaping during rush hours anyway, simply because of the aforementioned reasons.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

The Lex was comically bad this morning due to a signal problem at 42nd. During the peak of the rush there was no northbound (6) service, no northbound express (4)(5) and many (5) trains running via the (2). I've never been on a train more crushed than the local (4) I caught at 14th, and word from some coworkers is they waited 25 minutes for a train they could fit on after that one passed. Platform overcrowding was at a pretty dangerous level, lucky nobody was hurt.

Geesus! I couldn't find a parking spot at Newkirk so I drove to my appointment at Mt Sinai this morning. Would've missed my appointment taking the (5). Karma DOES exist!

What the hell happened this morning on the (4)(5)(6) and (D) lines?

According to my e-mails, there was a mechanical problem followed by a rail condition on the express tracks at 28 St. Then there was a signal (as reported by MHV9218 as well as a family member of mine) and a switch problem that affected all three lines. For the D, there was a signal problem that lasted for four hours.

Short excerpt of the alerts:

5:57 - 6:25 am: s/b 4, 5 local between 14 St to Brooklyn Bridge due to mechanical problem at 28 St (strange, shouldn't it be from 42 - BB?)

6:33 - 6:43: s/b 4, 5 local due to rail condition at 28 St

6:49 - 10:50: n/b D delayed due to signal problems at Bedford Pk Blvd

7:00 - 7:47: 5 via 2, delays on 4 due to switch problem at 42 St

7:10 - 7:47: same as above except the 6 is caught in the mess

Delays  Posted: 12/22/2013  4:04PM

Due to switch problems at 36 St (BKLYN) n.png, d.png and r.png trains are running with delays.

Allow additional travel time.

Unfortunately, this advisory doesn't mention if the delays are in the northbound or the southbound direction, and how extensive the delays are.

Service Change Posted: 12/23/2013 3:47PM

Due to track maintenance at Woodhaven Blvd, 71 Av-bound (M) and (R) trains run express from Roosevelt Av-Jackson Heights to Forest Hills-71 Av.

Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know there are no tracks for the local to switch right before Continental.If so it would be crazy to run those trains all on the express tracks with 2 trains terminating on them.No?

There are no (4) and (5) trains in either direction between 86th and 149th-GC due to "mechanical problems", hope that isn't code for something more serious. The 6 is still running.

Could this be the reason as to why I caught an R-62A (6) train tonight?

No, there are 5 sets of R62As regularly in service on the (6) due to the R188 swap. Starting in January more and more sets of R62As will be on the (6). After the swap there will only be 40 or so R142As left.

Using Tapatalk

Service Change  Posted: 12/25/2013  9:36AM 

Due to a mechanical problem at Prospect Pk, there is no Franklin Av s.png train service between Franklin Av and Prospect Pk.

Customers are advised to use the northbound B48 bus service making corresponding stops along Classon Av andsouthbound B48 bus service making corresponding stops along Franklin Av.