Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

The MTA needs to put an article on their website when this bad of a service change comes up.They used to,now they have stopped somewhat.

They only put an article up if the cause is significant and it's known that service won't be restored for a while (water main break, derailment, fire, etc)

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Until they have an idea of when service will be restored, any press release posted on the MTA website will say the standard "We're working to restore service as soon as possible...", "customers are advised to leave additional time when planning their trips", etc. Those form letters don't really do much but reiterate what the service status page already says.

I do hope they're adding more C trains along 8th Avenue, because it's bad enough it runs at "meh" intervals as it is. Combine that with the passengers from 7th Avenue and that's just asking for more trouble.

The 7th Ave being down was fun today, made me late for class as my train was stuck between Times Square and Penn Station for a bit before it finally entered the station and I was able to walk over to 8th Ave and take the train there to make it to class. Apparently the conductors were saying that you can talk to the MTA Crew for having a late notice and a free transfer to 8th Ave but there was just no time for that and I just ate the extra $2.50.

P.S. Yes I am typing on campus right now. lol

Service Change  Posted: 02/11/2014 11:34AM 

Due to signal problems between 96 St and Chambers St, the following service changes are in effect:

There are no 1.png between Chambers St and 137 St in both directions.

1.png Shuttle train service is running between 242 St-Van Cortlandt Park and 137 St-City College.

There are no 2.png and 3.png trains between 96 St and Chambers St in both directions.

2.png trains are running on the 5.png line between 149 St and Nevins St in both directions.

3.png Shuttle train service is operating between 110 St and Harlem-148 St and New Lots Av and Atlantic Av-Barclays Center in both directions.

4.png trains are running with delays in both directions.

5.png trains are running between Dyre Av-Eastchester and E 180 St in both directions.

Allow additional travel time

Looks like they are going to cut the (5) to a shuttle since all the (2) s are being sent down Lexington.

Edited by iGeMiNix

Seems like things are back to normal, somewhat...residual delays and whatnot

Sorta kinda. 

Delays  Posted: 02/11/2014 11:57AM 

Due to ongoing signal problems between 96 St and Chambers St, the following service changes are in effect:

1.png & 3.png train service has resumed making local stops between 96 St and Chambers St.

2.png trains are running on the 5.png line from Nevins St to 149 St-Grand Concourse in both directions.

Allow additional travel time

So at least there are 7 av trains, but hardly full service. 

Edited by itmaybeokay

Until they have an idea of when service will be restored, any press release posted on the MTA website will say the standard "We're working to restore service as soon as possible...", "customers are advised to leave additional time when planning their trips", etc. Those form letters don't really do much but reiterate what the service status page already says.

I do hope they're adding more C trains along 8th Avenue, because it's bad enough it runs at "meh" intervals as it is. Combine that with the passengers from 7th Avenue and that's just asking for more trouble.

I was waiting about 10 minutes on the uptown IND platform at 42nd Street after I heard no trains were running. I don't often ride the IND, but I was surprised that during that 10 minute period, only my (A) came. No (C) or (E) , even though the times I'm there there's usually two (E) and a (C).

Delays  Posted: 02/11/2014  4:30PM 

Due to earlier signal problems, express service on the 2.png and 3.png lines has resumed with extensive delays in both directions between 96 St and Chambers St. 

Customers are strongly advised to use a.pngb.pngc.pnge.pngn.pngq.png and r.png train service to relieve congestion.

Allow additional travel time.

Delays  Posted: 02/11/2014  4:49PM 

Due to a train with mechanical problems at 145 St, southbound b.png and d.png via express 170 St to 145 St.

I completely agree that whenever the B'way-7 Av corridor is shut down during an emergency like this, the shorten (A) should run more frequently to alleviate crowding and make up for the loss of the (1), (2) and (3).

I completely agree that whenever the B'way-7 Av corridor is shut down during an emergency like this, the shorten (A) should run more frequently to alleviate crowding and make up for the loss of the (1), (2) and (3).

Where would these extra (C) trains and crews come from in an emergency situation ? It's not like there are extras laying around waiting to be used. The best case that I see would be to run the (A) and (D) local if needed. Of course that would foul up service on both lines in the unaffected areas. Carry on.

Due to NYPD activity at Prince St, there is no (N ) (Q and (R) trains between Prince St and Whitehall St in both directions.

As an alternative customers are advised to transfer to (4)(5) or (6) at 14 St-Union Sq for service to and from lower Manhattan.

They are not really explaining themselves here. Is there no service only on the (R) line past canal.Or also on the bridge.

This is what I think is happening.

No (N) Atlantic-57th

No (Q) PP-57th

No (R) Whitehall-57th

With some tweaks as the situation progresses.

Edited by Abba

Due to the inclement weather:

- uptown (2) and (3) trains run local from 34 St-Penn Station to 96 St

- <6> service is suspended; all service is local in the Bronx

- Coney Island-bound (N) trains are running via the (D) line from 36 St to Stillwell Av

Updates to follow as they come in.

This morning there was a power outage problem at W4th street which caused 6th Ave not to have service. All trains were sent to the 8th Ave line and so there were major delays on the QB Express from Elmhurst Ave (That's where the train stopped) on to 5th Ave, (where the situation was corrected and the (F) was sent down 6th Ave) . I was looking through the front of the R160 (F) and there were times the signals were red and you couldn't even see the next train. Is that really necessary?

Becides CBTC what other ways can they improve signaling to allow better train movement? 

On a side note I notice sometimes at Canal St, the signals be all red with no trains in the station.

Edited by N6 Limited

MTA Service Status

Service Change

Posted: 02/18/2014 10:00PM

Due to debris on tracks at DeKalb Av:

Southbound B and Q trains bypass DeKalb Av.

Southbound B trains are via D from Grand St to Coney Island-Stillwell Av.

Some southbound Q trains run on R line from Court St to DeKalb Av.

Some southbound Q trains run on N line from Canal St to Coney Island-Stillwell Av.

Some northbound Q trains run on R line from DeKalb Av to Court St.

Sorry there's no pictures, I'm on my phone.

Edited by TrainFanInfinity