Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

5 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

One reason I do the 125 extension: Columbia University, which already has done some serious expansion.

They have the (1) already.. and private transport. Columbia is developing a few square City blocks were talking Neighborhoods on the Bronx side. I'd put that above a Westside link. Plus the geology issues that might have to be tackled west of Amsterdam.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/22/2018 at 11:25 AM, RailRunRob said:

They have the (1) already.. and private transport. Columbia is developing a few square City blocks were talking Neighborhoods on the Bronx side. I'd put that above a Westside link. Plus the geology issues that might have to be tackled west of Amsterdam.

By the time the SAS reached Broadway, you are also talking about very possibly a new Metro-North station at 125th/12th Avenue that can include an SAS connection.  If need be, you could build a portal after St. Nicholas and make 125th/Broadway-12th Avenue an elevated station (which can be done more easily given 125 in that area is in a valley).  Main reason beside Columbia is transfers to ALL of the other lines on 125 PLUS possibly provisions for a connection to the 8th Avenue Line going north at St. Nicholas, which would open up future possibilities (plus in an emergency allow the 8th Avenue line to use the SAS to 63rd and then run via 6th).

As for The Bronx, that does need to be done, most likely reclaiming the area lost when the 3rd Avenue EL was lost in 1973. 

1 hour ago, Wallyhorse said:

By the time the SAS reached Broadway, you are also talking about very possibly a new Metro-North station at 125th/12th Avenue that can include an SAS connection.  If need be, you could build a portal after St. Nicholas and make 125th/Broadway-12th Avenue an elevated station (which can be done more easily given 125 in that area is in a valley).  Main reason beside Columbia is transfers to ALL of the other lines on 125 PLUS possibly provisions for a connection to the 8th Avenue Line going north at St. Nicholas, which would open up future possibilities (plus in an emergency allow the 8th Avenue line to use the SAS to 63rd and then run via 6th).

As for The Bronx, that does need to be done, most likely reclaiming the area lost when the 3rd Avenue EL was lost in 1973. 

I'm with you any new transit connections would be a welcomed asset. But there are way too many possibles and variables with that plan.  All im saying if there building to Lenox Ave anyways if you went straight without turning on 125th with that same distance you'd be in the Bronx already. Usage is easily justifiable with the projected growth of the South Bronx alone not to mention the extra growth generated by the added capacity that way. IMO the Bronx is a better use than 125th. I just feel like it's the easy way out a shortcut a way to say see we gave you the second Ave line bare minimum on what's acceptable and can get away with.

Edited by RailRunRob

2 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

I'm with you any new transit connections would be a welcomed asset. But there are way too many possibles and variables with that plan.  All im saying if there building to Lenox Ave anyways if you went straight without turning on 125th with that same distance you'd be in the Bronx already. Usage is easily justifiable with the projected growth of the South Bronx alone not to mention the extra growth generated by the added capacity that way. IMO the Bronx is a better use than 125th. I just feel like it's the easy way out a shortcut a way to say see we gave you the second Ave line bare minimum on what's acceptable and can get away with.

The way I see it, we should split upper SAS two ways; the (Q) would run to 125th-St Nicholas while the (N) would run to Fordham Plaza via 3rd. As for the (T) ,I'd have it run to a new lower level at 72nd and then run out to the bypass and along Union Tpk.

6 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

The way I see it, we should split upper SAS two ways; the (Q) would run to 125th-St Nicholas while the (N) would run to Fordham Plaza via 3rd. As for the (T) ,I'd have it run to a new lower level at 72nd and then run out to the bypass and along Union Tpk.

Real world scenario. Phase 2 funding in place and you can only pick one which would it be?

2 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

Real world scenario. Phase 2 funding in place and you can only pick one which would it be?

Bronx. You're never gonna beat Lex express, but if you can pull riders from the (6) at 3rd-138 or the (2) at 3-149 then you're already creating systemic benefit (not to mention economic boon in the South Bronx). 

2 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Bronx. You're never gonna beat Lex express, but if you can pull riders from the (6) at 3rd-138 or the (2) at 3-149 then you're already creating systemic benefit (not to mention economic boon in the South Bronx). 

https://ny.curbed.com/2018/4/18/17252368/nyc-soccer-stadium-south-bronx-related

You see this?

Just now, RailRunRob said:

I did. I know this is beside the question of development in the SBx, but I find it the pinnacle of hilarity that they're putting up condos a few feet from one of the largest trash processing facilities in the city. Good luck selling those while railcars full of refuse literally lie right below...

1 minute ago, RR503 said:

I did. I know this is beside the question of development in the SBx, but I find it the pinnacle of hilarity that they're putting up condos a few feet from one of the largest trash processing facilities in the city. Good luck selling those while railcars full of refuse literally lie right below...

I saw calling it the Piano district. There just shooting these up developments I wouldn't be surprised if there shortcutting the hazard testing and clean up the process after rezoning.

54 minutes ago, RR503 said:

That I agree with.  

52 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

This might spearhead such a movement. 

22 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

I agree if you spend 6 billion lt should go to the Bronx at 149-3.

Is the provision for a Bronx extension still in latest plans?

Hell our friends in Toronto got 6 stop extension for 3 billion

18 hours ago, RR503 said:

I agree with this idea and have been advocating for this in the last 5-10 or so pages now. This is something that would've been worth 6 Billion and would've actually done something beneficial to the people of the Bronx. I may not bee keen on the idea of a 72nd Street Lower Level, but if we can get SAS to the Bronx, then we'll be seeing a bit of GOOD change in this city. (and specifically, The Bronx). It's disappointing how the (MTA) didn't consider this as an alternative.

On 11/26/2018 at 5:25 PM, RR503 said:

I didn't realize Dowisetrepla was a real place!

Would it be useful to extend down to 55st and introduce the T train for phase 2 ?  It would open up a transfer to the E, M and 6 trains sooner. It would also double service on 2nd ave without having to wait for phase 3. 

Edited by vngannxx

8 hours ago, vngannxx said:

Would it be useful to extend down to 55st and introduce the T train for phase 2 ?  It would open up a transfer to the E, M and 6 trains sooner. It would also double service on 2nd ave without having to wait for phase 3. 

If that was the case, then you could've given the Midtown East Portion of SAS Phase 3 special treatment

On 12/5/2018 at 11:25 PM, Around the Horn said:

Honestly, since the TBM went south from 96th to 63rd it should have just kept going to Houston anyway...

Yeah, why didn't the just tunnel bore the whole thing all at one time, that's like the easiest and quickest part of the whole process!?

6 hours ago, m7zanr160s said:

Yeah, why didn't the just tunnel bore the whole thing all at one time, that's like the easiest and quickest part of the whole process!?

(MTA) incompetence. That’s one reason that you can list. 

Poor Management > Overstaffing > Inflamated Construction Costs. > Us not being able to get nice things

thats another way you can put it.

Edited by LaGuardia Link N Tra