Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was the same case for City Hall and people still ride the (6) around the loop.

Riding around City Hall loop is legal (and during some (6) express service changes they explicitly told you to stay on the train)

This is an entirely different situation since NYCT still technically doesn't own the line; Capital Construction does.

Riding around City Hall loop is legal (and during some (6) express service changes they explicitly told you to stay on the train)

This is an entirely different situation since NYCT still technically doesn't own the line; Capital Construction does.

It wasn't legal to ride the City Hall loop until some point in the 2000s....

City Hall loop was closed for decades and I'm sure railfans rode though it anyway. 

Slightly off topic when the (4) ends at Bowling Green you can ride though the south ferry inner loop. I rode the (4) though the South Ferry loop twice when they had that G.O.

when they (W) is back and the (Q) ends at 57th street are they gonna be militant about making sure everyone is off the train when they run it to 96-2? 

It will probably be the same as Utica, Forest Hills, 179th, etc. The T/O will have to exit their cabs once the train gets to 96th so yes they will be "militant" about making sure everyone is off the train.

If anyone does it then the whole railfan community will be disgraced.

Nah, it won't, the people who clear the train won't think nothing of it if some random passenger tries to stay on the train. They would ask them to get off and life goes on.

when they (W) is back and the (Q) ends at 57th street are they gonna be militant about making sure everyone is off the train when they run it to 96-2? 

Why don't they just let people ride to 63rd st. That station is practically finished other than a few exposed wires. It would also provide a good transfer point and preview. 

If I ever do get questioned, my premade excuse is that "I just wanted to get my favorite seat." 

Why don't they just let people ride to 63rd st. That station is practically finished other than a few exposed wires. It would also provide a good transfer point and preview.

Yup. Open Lexington Avenue/63 Street first, and then 96 Street, and then the other stations as they are completed. They should really try to get Lexington Avenue/63 Street and 96 Street open simultaneously though since the train is going that far anyway.

Yes, congratulations Max (DJHammers).

To answer a persistent question, riders are not permitted on the extension because it's still an active construction zone. It has nothing to do with who "owns the line" at the moment. Look at what they're doing right now. They're testing the third rails and weight loads. If something goes wrong on any of those tests and the train gets stuck there, said rider would be stuck with the train.

There's also the possibility of the train remaining out of service past the 96 Street dead head. Unlike the City Hall loop, where all downtown trains must return to service on the northbound local track, there is nothing that forces a test train to return to service other than the needs of the line.

So please, don't try to sneak past the train crews and board a test train at 57 Street. You'll get to ride the line just like everybody else when it officially opens sometime in December. Hopefully.

The new timetables were finally released today. Been waiting for this, to see the whole deal regarding the (N)'s to 96th.

There are three in the AM, the first to return to the regular (N) route afterwards, and the last one lays up, but apparently doesn't return to (N) service, as there are no putins from there in the PM. (Not sure what it does then. I imagine probably City Hall? Can't tell what comes from there, as I don't see anything dropping out or going in from there. They all must run light from the northern terminal). Instead, four trains come from regular (N) service and then return to it from 96th for the PM.

You still have the three (W) putins that go into service at 86th, but only one hat returns there for the night. The rest all drop out at Ditmars. However, after the AM, you do have two that return to 86th! It wasn't like this before!

The (Q) has two AM putins from 96th and one layup afterward, and one putin and two layups for the PM. Weekends, it's one putin at the beginning of the day, and the layup at the end of the day (though early evening on Sunday).

The new timetables were finally released today. Been waiting for this, to see the whole deal regarding the (N)'s to 96th.

There are three in the AM, the first to return to the regular (N) route afterwards, and the last one lays up, but apparently doesn't return to (N) service, as there are no putins from there in the PM. (Not sure what it does then. I imagine probably City Hall? Can't tell what comes from there, as I don't see anything dropping out or going in from there. They all must run light from the northern terminal). Instead, four trains come from regular (N) service and then return to it from 96th for the PM.

You still have the three (W) putins that go into service at 86th, but only one hat returns there for the night. The rest all drop out at Ditmars. However, after the AM, you do have two that return to 86th! It wasn't like this before!

The (Q) has two AM putins from 96th and one layup afterward, and one putin and two layups for the PM. Weekends, it's one putin at the beginning of the day, and the layup at the end of the day (though early evening on Sunday).

Just out of curiosity, what are the times for those (N) trains?

I commute from Bay Ridge to Queens, occasionally getting one of the (N) 's via Broadway Express to 57 Street, and (particularly in the AM) a cross platform transfer to the (F) at Lex-63rd would be beneficial to me.

Edited by Around the Horn

Where are these schedules?