Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The MTA does install ramps where they can (42 St (A)(C)(E), Park Place on the Franklin Av (S), and new Arthur Kill station on the Staten Island Railway, for example) but I imagine some places they just don't have the space, or maybe they just find it impractical for deep distances between street and mezzanine, and between mezzanine and platforms. But then again, I'm no engineer.

The ramps would have to be within a certain grade. If they are too steep, they cannot count towards ADA access since it would be impractical for wheelchairs to actually use them. It's why the Times Square/Port Authority ramp is not considered ADA accessible.

Oh yeah, something interesting: As part of the new schedule starting tomorrow, the smartphone app Transit already shows (Q) and rush hour (N) service to 96th St:

If the images aren't working, I have them on imgur: http://imgur.com/gallery/6vnCY

<pics removed>

Obviously the data didn't get the memo that SAS is not open yet  :P

Although, the data is a little wonky; it doesn't show times for 72 St, 86 St and 96 St, only Lexington Av-63 St. 

The information comes from the MTA's metadata. 

Strip maps needs to be updated on R142 R142A R188 R143 and announcements.

They will be. I believe it's set up to change to the correct announcements automatically much like they were in 2010.

Although I usually don't care for pessimism, I had an epiphany of pragmatism. Although it's possible that the (Q) won't be extended until 2017, let's say that the (MTA) keeps its promise and opens all four (three and a half?) stations just in time for the New Year's Eve rush between the Upper East Side and Times Square. I'm inclined to believe that the (MTA) will then pat itself on the back and rest on its laurels for a while. Let's also say, however, that they work some political magic, secure full funding for Phase 2, and begin construction in the not-too-distant future.

Does it not seem probable that the (MTA) will have been exhausted by the completion of Phase 2, consequently shelving phases 3 and 4 indefinitely? It's quite possible that serious budget issues will arise again over the next decade, not to mention natural and/or man-made disasters, and there are other projects that might demand a greater chunk of a potentially shrinking budget. I reckon that it will be well over a decade before we see (T) service, and longer yet for the 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-V-SAS_svg.png to complement it.

During this hiatus, perhaps we can convince the (MTA) to more seriously consider a Bronx connection. In fact, if they can't get Phase 2 off the ground any time soon, we'll have an even stronger position to request a terminal shift from Lexington Avenue to the Bronx.

Although I usually don't care for pessimism, I had an epiphany of pragmatism. Although it's possible that the (Q) won't be extended until 2017, let's say that the (MTA) keeps its promise and opens all four (three and a half?) stations just in time for the New Year's Eve rush between the Upper East Side and Times Square. I'm inclined to believe that the (MTA) will then pat itself on the back and rest on its laurels for a while. Let's also say, however, that they work some political magic, secure full funding for Phase 2, and begin construction in the not-too-distant future.

Does it not seem probable that the (MTA) will have been exhausted by the completion of Phase 2, consequently shelving phases 3 and 4 indefinitely? It's quite possible that serious budget issues will arise again over the next decade, not to mention natural and/or man-made disasters, and there are other projects that might demand a greater chunk of a potentially shrinking budget. I reckon that it will be well over a decade before we see (T) service, and longer yet for the 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-V-SAS_svg.png to complement it.

During this hiatus, perhaps we can convince the (MTA) to more seriously consider a Bronx connection. In fact, if they can't get Phase 2 off the ground any time soon, we'll have an even stronger position to request a terminal shift from Lexington Avenue to the Bronx.

Phase 3 and the (T) will be built if the developers, the city and state government, and the economy wish it to. A lot can get done if there's the political will to do so exists. Phase 4 and the 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-V-SAS_svg.png are just hypotheticals at this point, dependent on the state of affairs in Lower Manhattan and Queens.

To send SAS into the Bronx, developers need to be onboard, and a new EIR needs to be drafted ASAP. 

Phase 3 and the (T) will be built if the developers, the city and state government, and the economy wish it to. A lot can get done if there's the political will to do so exists. Phase 4 and the 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-V-SAS_svg.png are just hypotheticals at this point, dependent on the state of affairs in Lower Manhattan and Queens.

To send SAS into the Bronx, developers need to be onboard, and a new EIR needs to be drafted ASAP. 

Yep. Look at the Flushing extension to the Hudson Yards. There wasn't exactly a large push for such an extension, but the city and Mike Bloomberg really wanted it to happen and it did.

Yep. Look at the Flushing extension to the Hudson Yards. There wasn't exactly a large push for such an extension, but the city and Mike Bloomberg really wanted it to happen and it did.

Wasn't it related to Bloomberg trying to secure the 2012 Olympics. 

So, once and for all, does the (N) run express between Times Square and Canal or Herald Square and Canal? Different sources say different things.

According to the individual map the (N) runs local 24/7 btn 57th & Canal. First lower level train arrives at Canal 558AM. Based on that info the answer is no.

Makes little/no sense to have 3 locals. Something's off.