Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The (N) does not need to stop at 49th Street; in fact it shouldn't.  The TA has said that rush hour crowds at 49th Street justify this, but having used 49th Street myself, I find their reasoning dubious.  They just don't feel like performing the necessary switch/signal adjustment work, same way that they have still not gotten around to correcting the Montague clearance problem.

They also need to stop kidding themselves that Second Avenue will be  ready to open before the end of the year (they've shifted the opening date to December 31st now). Considering the pace of their progress and the issues with 72nd and 86th Street, they should just come clean and admit the line won't be ready until at least February.  Otherwise they'll have a situation like with 34th Street- sloppy work performed in such a rush that the ceiling leaked, escalators broke down after a few days and the second station entrance is still under construction. 

Honestly they should do away with the confusion and have (N) trains skip 49th Street when they run express on Broadway. The station does not need three lines serving it.

Amen to that!

They also need to stop kidding themselves that Second Avenue will be  ready to open before the end of the year (they've shifted the opening date to December 31st now). Considering the pace of their progress and the issues with 72nd and 86th Street, they should just come clean and admit the line won't be ready until at least February.  Otherwise they'll have a situation like with 34th Street- sloppy work performed in such a rush that the ceiling leaked, escalators broke down after a few days and the second station entrance is still under construction. 

On New Year's Eve (2016), the (MTA) will officially open the SAS, serving the 96th Street and Lexington Avenue–63rd Street stations. If the (MTA) loses any more face than it already has with these delays, it'll lose its head too, so they need an excuse to say that  opened "on time". The 72nd Street and 86th Street stations will be featured on the new official system map at launch, but there will be service notices stating that these two stations are temporarily closed for construction/maintenance.

This is my educated yet unconfirmed prediction.

Speaking of the second station entrance at 34th Street–Hudson Yards for the (7), I'm still upset at the (MTA) about this. There's no excuse except greed and/or laziness.

Speaking of the second station entrance at 34th Street–Hudson Yards for the (7), I'm still upset at the (MTA) about this. There's no excuse except greed and/or laziness.

Having used Hudson Yards a few times and walked around the area, the secondary entrance was not delayed by the  (MTA) . It is delayed because another building was added to the Hudson Yards project. It sits directly on top of the escalator shaft and is getting its foundation constructed. Work on the secondary exit has been delayed until the foundation is complete.

Having used Hudson Yards a few times and walked around the area, the secondary entrance was not delayed by the  (MTA) . It is delayed because another building was added to the Hudson Yards project. It sits directly on top of the escalator shaft and is getting its foundation constructed. Work on the secondary exit has been delayed until the foundation is complete.

Thanks for telling me; I hadn't seen those plans. I doubt I'll find an ETA, though.

According to some transit workers, there won't be an update until 2nd Avenue opens (which is nuts)

That is nuts! What if 2nd Avenue is delayed by months? There's still no guarantee it'll open on Dec. 31st. And why are they pushing to get it open on Dec. 31st, of all days? Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

That is nuts! What if 2nd Avenue is delayed by months? There's still no guarantee it'll open on Dec. 31st. And why are they pushing to get it open on Dec. 31st, of all days?

Agreed. The problem is the act of updating the automated announcement system. It's such a time-consuming process to updating the trains that by the time the crews get to all of the cars, the system will have to be updated for the extension of the (Q) train. At least that's the expectation. That's why it's so important to get these programs correct the first time and why it's so annoying to me. It isn't as though the restoration of (W) train service was some last minute event. They've known about this for months, plenty of time to make sure all of the computers are up to date.

They want it to be done in 2016.

Sent from my iPad using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

They may want the line to open before 2016 ends, but a New Years Eve opening would be a difficult thing to accomplish. With all of the pomp and circumstance that will undoubtedly come with the line opening, having the line opening coincide with the usual NYE crowds at Times Square will become something of a mess.

It's such a time-consuming process to updating the trains that by the time the crews get to all of the cars, the system will have to be updated for the extension of the (Q) train.

Right on the money. I certainly wouldn't want to spend all that time updating every car just to update them again in under two months. We'll live.

Its November newsletter time!

The Second Avenue Subway is 98% complete. Yes you heard that right! 98%

63rd is 99% complete (http://web.mta.info/capital/sas_pdf/SASNewsletter63rd-Nov2016.pdf)

72nd is 94% complete (http://web.mta.info/capital/sas_pdf/SASNewsletter72nd-Nov2016.pdf)

Is it just me or did 72nd speed up a lot?

86th is 94% complete (http://web.mta.info/capital/sas_pdf/SASNewsletter86th-Nov2016.pdf)

96th is 97% complete (http://web.mta.info/capital/sas_pdf/SASNewsletter96th-Nov2016.pdf)

There will be more information at the Committee meetings this weekend and another series of newsletters in early December. Then its on to New Year's Eve.

Its November newsletter time!

The Second Avenue Subway is 98% complete. Yes you heard that right! 98%

63rd is 99% complete (http://web.mta.info/capital/sas_pdf/SASNewsletter63rd-Nov2016.pdf)

72nd is 94% complete (http://web.mta.info/capital/sas_pdf/SASNewsletter72nd-Nov2016.pdf)

Is it just me or did 72nd speed up a lot?

86th is 94% complete (http://web.mta.info/capital/sas_pdf/SASNewsletter86th-Nov2016.pdf)

96th is 97% complete (http://web.mta.info/capital/sas_pdf/SASNewsletter96th-Nov2016.pdf)

There will be more information at the Committee meetings this weekend and another series of newsletters in early December. Then its on to New Year's Eve.

Sorry guys, that should read "meetings this week'. Only caught it now so I can't edit.

At this point, for a Dec opening date, all construction should be complete and it should just be testing and tweaks. That anything is still being installed is not a good sign. (But we knew that.) 

I think the only construction left is cosmetic (mostly pavers at street entrances and wall cladding on ancillary structures). The elevators and escalators have been installed, it just a matter of finishing the tests in time. The upcoming meetings will tell us for sure...

I think the only construction left is cosmetic (mostly pavers at street entrances and wall cladding on ancillary structures). The elevators and escalators have been installed, it just a matter of finishing the tests in time. The upcoming meetings will tell us for sure...

That's not the way I read the 72nd St newsletter:

Construction Update

Station Cavern:

Installation of:

• Floor tiles, ceiling panels, conduits, mechanical,

electrical and plumbing systems at the mezzanine level

TSSM (Tunnel Smoke Systems Management), HVAC,

FPS (Fire Protection System), elevator and escalator

testing

• Fare array gates and turnstiles

Entrance 1 (northeast corner of 69th Street and Second Avenue):

• Architectural finishes and lighting work at the escalator

incline portion of Entrance 1

Installation of street and mezzanine-level escalators

Installation of walls, duct work, conduit work and finishes

Ancillary 1 (northwest corner of 69th Street and Second Avenue)

Ancillary 2 (northwest corner of 72nd Street and Second Avenue)

Entrance 3 (southeast corner of 72nd Street and Second Avenue)

• Façade installation

Electrical and mechanical equipment installation and testing for revenue service

Installation of escalators and elevators at Ancillary/Entrance 2

That newsletter (I think-if I'm reading it correctly) is stating what work was done since the last one.

That is one thing that's never been remotely clear in any of these newsletters.  <_<

But it lists "elevator and escalator testing" at 72nd St, and based on what we've heard at board meetings, I tend to doubt that would be complete at this point. 

Might it be possible that we see station-by-station opening ceremonies, rather than one ceremony for the entire first phase? Or perhaps 63rd and 96th first, and then 72nd and 86th second? However it happens, the system map should show all of Phase 1 once any one part of it opens (in the spirit of saving time and money).

Might it be possible that we see station-by-station opening ceremonies, rather than one ceremony for the entire first phase? Or perhaps 63rd and 96th first, and then 72nd and 86th second? However it happens, the system map should show all of Phase 1 once any one part of it opens (in the spirit of saving time and money).

I don't think so. For the (MTA), it's all or nothing.