Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somebody already posted a video of the wallless downtown platform at 63rd St: 

This might have to do with the removal of the barrier.

The work is gonna continue for the next few weeks.  Should have been done a long time ago, but better late than never I guess.

F.png Jamaica-bound trains are rerouted via the E.png after 47-50 Sts to Roosevelt Av

Late Nights, 11:45 PM to 5 AM, Mon to Fri, Nov 28 - Dec 2

No Jamaica-bound service at 57 St, Roosevelt Island, and 21 St-Queensbridge.
No service at Lexington Av/63 St.

Note: Coney Island-bound F.png trains skip Lexington Av/63 during this time.

--------------------------

F.png Coney Island-bound trains skip Lexington Av/63 St

Late Nights, 10:45 PM to 5 AM, Mon to Fri, Nov 28 - Dec 2

Use the nearby Lexington Av/59 St 4.png 6.png N.png R.png Station instead.

• Transfer between F.png N.png trains at 34 St-Herald Sq.
• Transfer between 4.png local6.png and Jamaica-bound F.png trains at Lexington Av/53 St.

Note: No Jamaica-bound F.png service at this station after 11:45 PM, each night.

---------------------------

F.png Jamaica-bound trains are rerouted via the E.png after 47-50 Sts to Roosevelt Av
Weekends, 11:45 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Dec 2 - 5  •  Dec 9 - 12  •  Dec 16 - 19

No Jamaica-bound service at 57 St, Lexington Av/63 St, Roosevelt Island and 
21 St-Queensbridge

Travel Alternatives TripPlannerPlus_logo_19px.png

• To 57 St, take the Jamaica-bound F.png to the nearby 5 Av/53 St E.png Station. 
  Or, transfer at 34 St-Herald Sq to an uptown N.png Q.png or R.png for service to nearby 57 St-7 Av
• To Lexington Av/63 St, take the F.png to Lexington Av/53 St and transfer to an uptown 4.png or 6.png 
   to nearby 59 St
• To Roosevelt Island and 21 St-Queensbridge, take the F.png to Roosevelt Av and transfer to a
   Brooklyn-bound F.png

• From these stations, take a Brooklyn-bound F.png to 47-50 Sts and transfer to a Jamaica-bound F.png

Edited by Mysterious2train

is there a switch (if it is still there) where say if there is a need for reroutes such as the (F) going to 96-2 or the (Q) going to queens etc?

I doubt the MTA would remove such useful switches.It’s the only other set tying the Broadway and 6 Avenue lines at the northern end (besides the switches at Queens Plaza).

tGRhsNm.jpg

More fine work from the MTA at Lexington Av-63rd St... What's wrong with this picture?

(Hint: Look at the exit signs)

(Hint: Lexington Avenue and 3rd Av are at opposite ends of the station, but both signs are pointing the same way - I know the column partially blocks one of the signs...)

Edit: The 3rd Av sign will have to be replaced eventually to add the (Q), so this could actually be corrected soon... if somebody catches it.

tGRhsNm.jpg

More fine work from the MTA at Lexington Av-63rd St... What's wrong with this picture?

(Hint: Lexington Avenue and 3rd Av are at opposite ends of the station, but both signs are pointing the same way - I know the column partially blocks one of the signs...)

Another weirdly spaced sign... The (Q) will probably placed right next to the (F)... And how are the 2 exits so close to each other?

Sent from my iPad using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Edited by Tonyboy515

tGRhsNm.jpg

Edit: The 3rd Av sign will have to be replaced eventually to add the (Q), so this could actually be corrected soon... if somebody catches it.

Isn't the exit to Third Avenue only via the top level?

Isn't the exit to Third Avenue only via the top level?

No. The elevators to the 3rd Av mezzanine will serve both platform levels. It would be a little silly to not do so. 

C0w36bu.png

This picture is from the September newsletter for 63rd St, BTW.

15267675_10208317137266263_2310551031492

This is a photo someone posted on FaceBook of the mezzanine at 96th St. You can see the station artwork on the far right.

I like the artwork... I couldn't really get good shots of it, but I tried (at one of the entrances):

ZMTbfcL.jpg

ZAVEmJj.jpg

(I took these 2 photos several weeks ago; right now, the entrance is definitely closer to completion) 

No. The elevators to the 3rd Av mezzanine will serve both platform levels. It would be a little silly to not do so. 

C0w36bu.png

This picture is from the September newsletter for 63rd St, BTW.

15267675_10208317137266263_2310551031492

Boy, the MTA is sure generous with these new stations. They are enormous even compared to the generous IND standards for station-building. I wonder what the rationale was since there’s no way enough trains could run through this station to fill it up even if every train coming through was 100% full and dropped off 100% of the passengers from both directions at a rate of 30 × 4 TPH. But maybe this kind of future-proofing is exactly what the MTA desires—a station that can cover all traffic conditions.

Boy, the MTA is sure generous with these new stations. They are enormous even compared to the generous IND standards for station-building. I wonder what the rationale was since there’s no way enough trains could run through this station to fill it up even if every train coming through was 100% full and dropped off 100% of the passengers from both directions at a rate of 30 × 4 TPH. But maybe this kind of future-proofing is exactly what the MTA desires—a station that can cover all traffic conditions.

It all looks very average to me, going by modern international standards. I can't think of anywhere that builds new stations any smaller.

It's just that very old stations like we have in NYC tend to be woefully under-sized by modern standards. 

It all looks very average to me, going by modern international standards. I can't think of anywhere that builds new stations any smaller.

It's just that very old stations like we have in NYC tend to be woefully under-sized by modern standards. 

One analogy is that old stations were built like underground bus stops. They were placed less than half a mile apart in most cases, since stations often only had one entrance. Some stations were even local-only!

Nowadays, subway stations are considerably more costly but provide a lot more amenities and an expanded service reach through multiple entrances. 

London.

The problem is that we build full mezzanines, when we really don't need to. Just build the platform level and smaller mezzanines where exits are.

London.

The problem is that we build full mezzanines, when we really don't need to. Just build the platform level and smaller mezzanines where exits are.

If they build all of that underground real estate, they might as well monetize it by renting out little niches carved out of the mezzanine for restaurants and such.

London.

Eh. Have you seen Canary Wharf? That station is massive! Makes Hudson Yards look puny...

If they build all of that underground real estate, they might as well monetize it by renting out little niches carved out of the mezzanine for restaurants and such.

Given the MTA's poor track record as a property manager, I don't think they would do particularly well. After all, those shops in TImes Sq aren't particularly well patronised.

I mean to say that stations should be set up more like Lex-63, Roosevelt Island, or the Archer Avenue stations; just the platform and exit/entrance portals leading to them. The full mezzanine is very unnecessary.

Eh. Have you seen Canary Wharf? That station is massive! Makes Hudson Yards look puny...

That is mostly due to the site; they literally drained a dock and then built around it.

Given the MTA's poor track record as a property manager, I don't think they would do particularly well. After all, those shops in TImes Sq aren't particularly well patronised.

I mean to say that stations should be set up more like Lex-63, Roosevelt Island, or the Archer Avenue stations; just the platform and exit/entrance portals leading to them. The full mezzanine is very unnecessary.

That is mostly due to the site; they literally drained a dock and then built around it.

Correct! Cut and Cover in essence I believe it was old West India Dock.