Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you guys predict that the ranks of the stations will be for 2017? This is just something to look back at in April 2018.

It is out of 425 since transfer stations are counted together.

Lexington Ave - 63 St, at 90th, might go up a few spots.

72 St is going to be the most popular stop on the expansion, given its proximity to hospitals and universities, as well as its relative isolation from other subway stations. If 77 and 68 St are in the top 30, then 72 St could make the top 50.

86 St and 96 St can probably make the top 100, with 86 St the busier station.

I'm pretty certain the easier solution to any SAS crowding is to send more (N) trains to 96 St and add more (W) trains to and from Astoria. From what I've seen, the Broadway Line is more popular than the 6 Ave Line simply because of the stops it serves. 

Short-term, yes, but I'm talking long term on this one.

This would be for 2018 (once the (M) returns to Metropolitan) with the (M) / (T) split ahead of the (L) shutdown, plus this (T) to 96th-2nd would be a 24/7 line.

Lexington Ave - 63 St, at 90th, might go up a few spots.

72 St is going to be the most popular stop on the expansion, given its proximity to hospitals and universities, as well as its relative isolation from other subway stations. If 77 and 68 St are in the top 30, then 72 St could make the top 50.

86 St and 96 St can probably make the top 100, with 86 St the busier station.

86th and Lex was 10th busiest in 2015 and the busiest non-complex by far thanks to its proximity to shopping and several of the major museums. It's very possible that 86 St could crack the top 50.

You can now go from the two newest terminals (7) Hudson yards & (Q) 96th st with one transfer, and it may take like 15-20 mins total.

I heard the amount of crowding on the Lexington Av line during the rush hour was reduced since the Second Av line on the (Q) is open

People on the Upper east side are avoiding Lex like the plague, the (Q) trains be packed. Not to mention they're IND/BMT spec, so they hold more people.

86th and Lex was 10th busiest in 2015 and the busiest non-complex by far thanks to its proximity to shopping and several of the major museums. It's very possible that 86 St could crack the top 50.

I don't think museum riders will really utilize the new 86 St stop, since the 2 Av station is further than the Lexington Ave stop. Another issue with SAS phase 1 in general is that no Bronx riders can access it, which limits its ridership potential compared to the Lex Ave stops.

That said, 86 St does have that 83 St entrance for 79 St access, so top 50 is definitely possible - just not as surefire as 72 St.

I don't think museum riders will really utilize the new 86 St stop, since the 2 Av station is further than the Lexington Ave stop. Another issue with SAS phase 1 in general is that no Bronx riders can access it, which limits its ridership potential compared to the Lex Ave stops.

That said, 86 St does have that 83 St entrance for 79 St access, so top 50 is definitely possible - just not as surefire as 72 St.

I do think museum riders from Midtown West and Brooklyn would definitely use the (Q).

As for ridership, I'd wait until spring/summer when the tourists come out in force, but I'd guess it would be 72nd St #1, 86th close behind and then 96th.

I've passed through two days this week one for a meeting on 86th and the other to meet my wife after work on 66th and 2nd. 72nd street Station seems like it's getting way more traffic then 96 th or 86th. Both days the trains where packed S/B around 5-6 pm is there a hospital, institution or something in the area?

Hunter College is over by 68th Street, and there's a bunch of hospitals over by York Avenue around 70th Street.

I heard the amount of crowding on the Lexington Av line during the rush hour was reduced since the Second Av line on the (Q) is open

In other words, it's doing exactly what it was intended to do.

I think residential density, and employment density has more to do with it than its proximity to the museums.

Do you think a lot of out of system walking transfers will be made between 86th/Lex & 86/2nd? Perhaps for those continuing north from along the Q route or from Queens via the (F) ?

Also, could phase 2 open in sections, if the most time consuming part will be the curve onto and the station on 125th, could they just open the 106th and 116th stations as they're done?

Edited by N6 Limited

Do you think a lot of out of system walking transfers will be made between 86th/Lex & 86/2nd? Perhaps for those continuing north from along the Q route or from Queens via the (F) ?

Also, could phase 2 open in sections, if the most time consuming part will be the curve onto and the station on 125th, could they just open the 106th and 116th stations as they're done?

Out of system transfers in general are very underused. It's just not very convenient when you could do an in-station transfer that takes less time.

The problem is that requires every station to have a switch in place for use, which is a lot more maintenance and introduces more points of failure.

I don't think so. From West Midtown, you can take the (N)(R)(W) and go up or down a flight of stairs to catch the Lexington Avenue Line over there, and don't forget that the (2) & (D) cover a good chunk of the (4)(5) route in The Bronx, and offer easy transfers to both at 149th/GC & 161st/YS.

From the (F)....eh...that's an extra transfer, and 86th Street is relatively deep (with 2 mezzanines) and then you have to walk 2 blocks over. You might see some people walk over to 3rd or 1st Avenue for a short bus ride into East Harlem, but that's about it.

The tunnel from 110th to 120th needs to be widened to actually accommodate a station at 116th, so that'll take a while, but yeah, I don't see what the issue would be with opening the stations one at a time. The cost of installing extra sets of switches south of 106th & 116th should be minimal in the grand scheme of the project. Unless somehow, it interferes with usage of shafts to get equipment down in and out of the tunnel as they're digging it, but I don't think that would be the case.

The tunnel from 110th to 120th needs to be widened to actually accommodate a station at 116th, so that'll take a while, but yeah, I don't see what the issue would be with opening the stations one at a time. The cost of installing extra sets of switches south of 106th & 116th should be minimal in the grand scheme of the project. Unless somehow, it interferes with usage of shafts to get equipment down in and out of the tunnel as they're digging it, but I don't think that would be the case.

I heard that the 110th to 120th was built for 3 tracks. Could the space for the middle track be enough for the platform?

(well, we know that they still have to bulid the mezzanines and entrances, but at least no widening for this case)

Hunter College is over by 68th Street, and there's a bunch of hospitals over by York Avenue around 70th Street.

In other words, it's doing exactly what it was intended to do.

I think residential density, and employment density has more to do with it than its proximity to the museums.

Exactly on all counts.  The hospitals (New York Presbyterian and Mount Siani on York Avenue and 68th and Metropolitan at 97th and 2nd) along with Hunter College and the Rockefeller University and the dense build-up of the UES all contribute to this.  I suspect you will have to see an increase in service on the SAS, whether it be more (Q) trains or as I have noted a split of the (M) into (M) and (T) with the (T) to 96th/2nd 24/7 as previously noted.  

I heard that the 110th to 120th was built for 3 tracks. Could the space for the middle track be enough for the platform?

(well, we know that they still have to bulid the mezzanines and entrances, but at least no widening for this case)

The issue there is I believe this is just cut and cover so is there even room for a mezzanine? There was no provisions for a station here just an inspection area. So does that mean you rebuild the southern portion of this area and build under the current tracks? And the current track level becomes the mezzanine level? There have been some rumors that they couldn't use this tunnel section could this have been why? 

Maybe 116 could be the only station on the SAS done with side platforms instead of an island and no mezzanine.  That might be the way to do those platforms.  

Maybe 116 could be the only station on the SAS done with side platforms instead of an island and no mezzanine.  That might be the way to do those platforms.  

Maybe. Cost vs disruption. At that depth how much room do you have until you start reaching the sidewalk and property lines and having to underpin and support surrounding structures?

I've passed through two days this week one for a meeting on 86th and the other to meet my wife after work on 66th and 2nd. 72nd street Station seems like it's getting way more traffic then 96 th or 86th. Both days the trains where packed S/B around 5-6 pm is there a hospital, institution or something in the area?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Yeah Lenox Hill Hospital is on 77th and Lex, plus you have Weill Cornell Medical Center, NewYork-Presbyterian and several other medical institutions over by York Avenue, as well as Hunter College on 68th and Lex.  I imagine some of those people really need service east of Lex.

The issue there is I believe this is just cut and cover so is there even room for a mezzanine? There was no provisions for a station here just an inspection area. So does that mean you rebuild the southern portion of this area and build under the current tracks? And the current track level becomes the mezzanine level? There have been some rumors that they couldn't use this tunnel section could this have been why? 

The ceiling is pretty high...

IMG_5764.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Yes, New York Hospital, Weill-Cornell Medical Center, and Sloan-Kettering are all major hospitals near 72 and York. Major traffic generators, all.

The ceiling is pretty high...

IMG_5764.jpg

Is that the center trackway? If so, it looks to be legitimately wide enough for a platform. It would be about the same width, even slightly wider than, the Brighton platform at Atlantic-Barclays.