Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't MTA trying to develop a B-Division compatible countdown clock right now? They'll probably make countdown clocks easy to install, at the very least.

Would it be available for Phase 1. It would be weird at 63 St knowing only when the next (Q) is but not the next (F).

• 3 weeks later...

Isn't MTA trying to develop a B-Division compatible countdown clock right now? They'll probably make countdown clocks easy to install, at the very least.

Don't they already have something like that already....

I'm pretty sure I've heard " the next manhattan bound express train is now arriving on the express train plz stand away from the platform edge " played at Queens Blvd stations

For example: Roosevelt Ave... Queens Plaza etc

They're designing ones similar to the ones on the numbered lines that are more specific and actually tell riders which train is coming and not simply whether it's an express or local train.

While this article is more about light rail, it got me thinking this is how we could down the road have our Brooklyn portion of the SAS:

http://secondavenuesagas.com/2013/09/23/is-light-rail-right-for-red-hook/

My comment on this as posted on that site concerning the idea of it being done as elevated instead of light rail:

The thing to maybe look at is instead of light rail, building a new, two-track elevated rail line that could connect to the elevated portion of the Culver Viaduct somewhere between Carroll and Smith-9th Streets or 4th Avenue, joining the (F) and (G) going towards Coney Island (with the new line having the potential side benefit of allowing the (F) to go express in Brooklyn) AND going north from Red Hook, go across Brooklyn in a north-northeast direction (with transfers to just about every other subway line in that part of Brooklyn along the way) to a new, rail-only bridge into Manhattan that could be placed between and go underground somewhere between the Manhattan and Williamsburg Bridges and re-join the (F) at East Broadway, Essex or 2nd Avenue as a potential new 6th Avenue line AND/OR perhaps has a branch that joins the SAS (T) at Grand Street on Phase 4 of the SAS as a Brooklyn branch of the SAS.

That to me might be the best solution to this.

In my view, this might be the best way to connect Red Hook to the subway AND create what eventually could become the Brooklyn leg of the SAS.

While this article is more about light rail, it got me thinking this is how we could down the road have our Brooklyn portion of the SAS:

http://secondavenuesagas.com/2013/09/23/is-light-rail-right-for-red-hook/

My comment on this as posted on that site concerning the idea of it being done as elevated instead of light rail:

In my view, this might be the best way to connect Red Hook to the subway AND create what eventually could become the Brooklyn leg of the SAS.

On the Culver Viaduct junction proposal from the SAS, take history into consideration: The IND were deciding upon making a tunnel under the Gowanus Canal or making an elevated structure to the then unbuilt Rutgers St tunnel. They finally decided upon an elevated structure because it would be less costly to build as opposed to a deep bore tunnel.

Now with the Culver Viaduct being the highest point on the system I am not so sure if connecting another elevated line would be a good idea. From a physics standpoint the higher a structure is above the surface, the more gravitational pull will be on the structure. You cannot say for sure if the foundation of the Culver Viaduct can handle that strain as it is if an elevated junction was built, again according to your proposal. From an engineering perspective therefore that may not be something a civil engineer would take into consideration.

As for Red Hook access anyway keep in mind that was the purpose of the unbuilt IND Second System Utica Ave line. That would be the better choice as opposed to the Red Hook line via Culver Viaduct idea as the IND engineers already figured it out.

Why are we talking about light rail?  :huh: 

Now back to the Second Avenue Subway:

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/25/new-york-today-subway-headway/?ref=nyregion

New York Today: Subway Headway
By MATT FLEGENHEIMER

25NYTODAY-blog480.jpg
 Jabin Botsford/The New York Times: A milestone in the construction of the Second Avenue Subway.

Updated 11:15 a.m. | The builders of the Second Avenue Subway – that nearly century-old pipe dream on Manhattan’s East Side – would like to offer some good news:

For the first time in the project’s modern history, a shipment of rails is arriving.
For now, they are being deposited in a cavern at East 96th Street.

But the rails will eventually be placed on the first segment of the project, which runs from 96th Street to 63rd Street.

It is to be finished in late 2016.

There is no firm timeline for completion of the full line, which transit officials hope to extend from Harlem to the Financial District.

The Second Avenue Subway represents the first major expansion of the system in over 50 years.
Here’s what else you need to know for Wednesday.

COMMUTER RAIL
The New Haven Line on Metro-North is running very limited service from Stamford to Grand Central Terminal all day on Wednesday because of an early-morning loss of power.

We are tracking this story here.

Follow @MetroNorth on Twitter for service updates...

As for Red Hook access anyway keep in mind that was the purpose of the unbuilt IND Second System Utica Ave line. That would be the better choice as opposed to the Red Hook line via Culver Viaduct idea as the IND engineers already figured it out.

Red Hook was never slated to receive a subway line under the Second System. It might've under the 1920's Turner plan, but keep in mind that this was the exact same plan that wanted subway lines in every neighborhood and four-track trunks under every avenue in Manhattan.

• 3 weeks later...

It was allegedly part of Mayor Hylan's first proposal for the IND back in 1922. Not much else can be found on the idea besides that little tidbit. For those interested, it's posted at the link below.

http://nycsubway.org/wiki/History_of_the_Independent_Subway

yeah, that's where I found it; thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the latest pics on the SAS, from October 2013 posted on Flickr reveals the latest progress on the future 86th Street and 96th Street stations.

10671945964_eb4070368d_o.jpg
 Photo: Metropolitan Transportation Authority / Patrick Cashin

10671865055_d22741af1d_o.jpg

10671942764_8cd0e0224c_o.jpg

10671865055_d22741af1d_o.jpg

10672139773_3a38c662f6_o.jpg

Blog post from Second Ave Sagas :

Nov 5

Second Ave. Sagas: Scenes from future stations
By Benjamin Kabak

10671945964_8f29d9e093_z.jpg
One day, this will be the northern end of the Q train at 96th Street and Second Avenue. Photo: Metropolitan Transportation Authority / Patrick Cashin

When last I had the opportunity to venture underground at Second Ave., in April of 2011, the future subway looked something like this. ADI, the tunnel boring machine, had completed her runs, but with December 2016 at the time over five years away, a new subway line was only vaguely taking shape.

Fast forward to today, and while we still have 38 months to go, it’s beginning to look a lot like New York’s own underground version of the impossible dream will come true. The MTA yesterday released a brand new set of images from the construction zone, and the progress is significant. Atop this post is an image from 96th St. — nearly the same view as the one I snapped two and a half years ago — and you can now see a station platform and track bed clearly taking shape. (Here is another view.)

Link: http://secondavenuesagas.com/2013/11/05/second-ave-sagas-scenes-from-future-stations/#sthash.s9oDn92Q.dpuf