Manhattan Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

CDTA

Well The MTA eliminated the old M15 branch in 2010. This would totally contradict what they were trying to do. Of course they would use the M9 and revamp it almost entirely, only part of the orginal routing left is Essex Street and Houston street up to Ave B

Actually, the M9 used Park Row before 9/11 (I have a map from 1997 that shows this). Then, since they blocked it off, they had it use Water Street and everything to reach the World Financial Center. It was actually a side benefit that it connected Battery Park City with the South Ferry area.

So the southern part of the M9 actually is the original routing.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, the M9 used Park Row before 9/11 (I have a map from 1997 that shows this). Then, since they blocked it off, they had it use Water Street and everything to reach the World Financial Center. It was actually a side benefit that it connected Battery Park City with the South Ferry area.

So the southern part of the M9 actually is the original routing.

I know, but it went to WFC via one way cross street then continued with the back-then M10 to WFC

He only said that as a lame comeback to my earlier retort to him.... He knew he was gonna think up some route that would attempt to alleviate traffic along 14th.... Damn near everytime he asks where traffic comes from on a particular street, some route idea proceeds it......

If drawing a parallel between 14th st traffic & the 2nd av subway is his idea of vindication, well let him have at it.... Lol....

Well, it's obvious that those M15's would be less reliable than those that would/do end at the current short turn location over along pike.... Which is why I wouldn't have all, or even most of the short turns going to Brooklyn..... As far as the B39, I don't think anyone's saying that moving some of the short turn M15's to Brooklyn is a better idea than simply having a shuttle run back & forth b/w the boroughs like the old B39 did....

As thick-headed (and frugal) as the MTA is, they're not going to bring the B39 back though, unfortunately.....

The MTA would never restore a line that duplicates a subway line. Its just how they think. I made the link cause why drive from 2nd ave to 14th when you can simply use the subway to M14 which is faster. Public transit dominates every other mode when traveling with in manhattan

The M9 could be extended back now using Barclay Street & Chambers Street. It could still connect to South Ferry if there is terminal space.

Here's a map of a possible extension:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=213458373195564989412.0004c3650975ee634b169&msa=0&ll=40.704652,-74.014978&spn=0.037674,0.077162

Edited by ThrexxBus

There would be no point of doing that now that the M20 goes to South Ferry.

The ridership is there, as many would ride from Battery Park City to City Hall.

Plus, think about ridership from the north as well...

You didn't even bother looking at the map, did you? <_<

If you did, things would make more sense...

I DID look at the map, and I'm still trying to understand it... But you should know that before creating maps, you should actually ride buses in the areas that you want services to be changed in. I've ridden routes near Battery Park City plenty of times.

One of the many issues that some members have here is that they want to see route changes, but haven't actually been in those areas.

Listen, I'm not shooting you down or anything, I apologize if it appears that way.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

I DID look at the map, and I'm still trying to understand it... But you should know that before creating maps, you should actually ride buses in the areas that you want services to be changed in. I've ridden routes near Battery Park City plenty of times.

One of the many issues that some members have here is that they want to see route changes, but haven't actually been in those areas.

Listen, I'm not shooting you down or anything, I apologize if it appears that way.

Don't apologize for telling the TRUTH...

alright, wait a minute here....

The M9 could be extended back now using Barclay Street & Chambers Street. It could still connect to South Ferry if there is terminal space.

Here's a map of a possible extension:

https://maps.google....037674,0.077162

Well, this would avoid the financial district, so it's not really a reverting of the old M9.....

The old M9 took riders off the M15 along water st. - Your route here would do no such thing......

The ridership is there, as many would ride from Battery Park City to City Hall.

Plus, think about ridership from the north as well...

Yeah, the ridership is there.... but why extend the M9 from Park Row to little west st for that purpose, when you could easily extend the M22 there, since it already ends in BPC & already serves Park Row also.....

(not that I think either should happen, b/c I don't)

....and think about the ridership from the north? lol....

You aint gettin much if any riders coming from the areas the M9 serves north of city hall riding M9's into BPC..... you're just, not.....

One of the many issues that some members have here is that they want to see route changes, but haven't actually been in those areas

....and fail to consider current ridership habits on buses in said areas, as well.....

You have to get a good enough idea of where the riders on a particular route are taking these buses.

....and fail to consider current ridership habits on buses in said areas, as well.....

You have to get a good enough idea of where the riders on a particular route are taking these buses.

This is why I stick to Brooklyn, where I have more knowledge of that.

I do think I have a good understanding of ridership habits on the M15...

....Just restore B39 as a BQE corridor line. You can kill B24 while ur at it

in other words, send the 24 over the williamsburg bridge & kill the greenpoint av portion.....

Sunnyside to Manhattan..... outside of the whole local route in 3 boroughs thing, it is something to think about....

(although I would still have something serving greenpoint av)

Edited by B35 via Church

in other words, send the 24 over the williamsburg bridge & kill the greenpoint av portion.....

Sunnyside to Manhattan..... outside of the whole local route in 3 boroughs thing, it is something to think about....

(although I would still have something serving greenpoint av)

Sunnyside to Manhattan I think a better idea is to have lower ridership route like x64 to make dropp off only stop in Sunnyside like Jackson Height QM3 stop

My idea would put drop off stop on x64 at Queens blvd - 41 st and Queens blvd - 46 st

Edited by Q101viaSteinway

Sunnyside to Manhattan I think a better idea is to have lower ridership route like x64 to make dropp off only stop in Sunnyside like Jackson Height QM3 stop

My idea would put drop off stop on x64 at Queens blvd - 41 st and Queens blvd - 46 st

A local route doing that would serve a different function from an express bus doing the same thing. The express bus would have to bring passengers straight into either Midtown or Downtown, whereas this route could perform reasonably well just ending in the LES (which while it's a big destination, it's nowhere near as big as Midtown or Downtown because it's not a big business center).

A local route doing that would serve a different function from an express bus doing the same thing. The express bus would have to bring passengers straight into either Midtown or Downtown, whereas this route could perform reasonably well just ending in the LES (which while it's a big destination, it's nowhere near as big as Midtown or Downtown because it's not a big business center).

But x64 have low ridership

But x64 have low ridership

What does the x64 have to do with transporting passengers between brooklyn & manhattan over the williamsburg bridge ??