Manhattan Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

CDTA

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Business Improvement District... l'm having a hard time with that one just because of the whole concept I guess. lol

Those have been around for a while. Most neighborhoods with a retail focus have one (Herald Square, Times Square, Flushing, etc.)

To my knowledge Downtown's is the only one that runs a bus.

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, A Former New Yorker said:

M32 

Canal St Crosstown 

Runs from West St/Canal St to Grand St/FDR 

I also wonder if an 27/28th St crosstown route would work. 

Both routes have subway stops 

Canal St may work, but it would run similar to the M42, meaning it would probably run 0.5 mph the entire way and be wasted.

27/28 crosstown is too close to proximity with the M34/23. Plus too few connections to subways.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

19 minutes ago, A Former New Yorker said:

M32 

Canal St Crosstown 

Runs from West St/Canal St to Grand St/FDR 

I also wonder if an 27/28th St crosstown route would work. 

Both routes have subway stops 

I don't think Canal Street should warrant a crosstown. The amount of traffic that flows through that area is horrendous.

I'm not trying to knock down your idea. However, on any given day canal turns into a parking lot any day of the week including overnights, and weekends.

Also, what type of market are you creating with this route?

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I don't think Canal Street should warrant a crosstown. The amount of traffic that flows through that area is horrendous.

I'm not trying to knock down your idea. However, on any given day canal turns into a parking lot any day of the week including overnights, and weekends.

I think that the M21 has the same problem with traffic

The Canal St Crosstown could provide Lower East Side residents better connecting to Lower Manhattan/Brooklyn. For example, Canal St has 5 subway stops (1,6,A.C,E,N,Q,R,W)  

2 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Canal St may work, but it would run similar to the M42, meaning it would probably run 0.5 mph the entire way and be wasted.

27/28 crosstown is too close to proximity with the M34/23. Plus too few connections to subways.

I was thinking of putting a bus lane on both Canal and Houston Sts

9 minutes ago, A Former New Yorker said:

The Canal St Crosstown could provide Lower East Side residents better connecting to Lower Manhattan/Brooklyn. For example, Canal St has 5 subway stops (1,6,A.C,E,N,Q,R,W) 

However, the M21 runs along Houston Street in which has a better market, expanded roadway. Although the train connections aren't that great. However, that route basically does it's job. What you don't want is a cluster of buses running down Canal street and just sitting in heavy traffic.

Edited by Future ENY OP

8 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Remember that there used to be a Grand Street Crosstown. It failed miserably.

8 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

However, the M21 runs along Houston Street in which has a better market, expanded roadway. Although the train connections aren't that great. However, that route basically does it's job. What you don't want is a cluster of buses running down Canal street and just sitting in heavy traffic.

9 hours ago, A Former New Yorker said:

I was thinking of putting a bus lane on both Canal and Houston Sts

All I know is I hate having meetings on the Lower East Side. I had one scheduled for last week and luckily it was canceled. That bus is useless. I just take a cab down there when I have to be somewhere near Houston Street East of the subway. They can run it more frequently because I believe most of the time there's only two buses an hour in each direction. At least the never ending construction along Houston appears to have come to an end (for now).

God help you if you need to go anywhere east of say 1st Avenue. Even getting a cab can be difficult.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

a 27/28th st crosstown would be useless. Who would want to do that? What's the ridership draw? At least the M50 has Rock center...

The (1),(6),(R) and (W) have subway stops at 28th St. Kips Bay Court,POPSugar HQ,Museum of Sex and the place were the Wendy Williams and Racheal Ray Show is filmed are all on 28th St.

12 minutes ago, A Former New Yorker said:

The (1),(6),(R) and (W) have subway stops at 28th St. Kips Bay Court,POPSugar HQ,Museum of Sex and the place were the Wendy Williams and Racheal Ray Show is filmed are all on 28th St.

Yes, but who along 27/28th Streets will go to these destinations? That gap is not as big as the one between 42nd and 57th. Even then, those places you described have nothing on Rockefeller Center, St Patrick's Cathedral, or even the Circle Line Pier.

Made a few changes to some current routes:

M3- route is split at 96th Street. Northern part is called M97, southern is called M3.

M9- bus is rerouted to Worth Street after East Broadway. Bus then runs on Lafayette/Centre to Chambers, and from there it runs on Chambers to West Street where it resumes its normal route. 

M11- loops back north using 14th Street, no service to Abingdon Sq.

M12- see M11

M14D- extended south to Madison/Pike. (if M22 is cut only)

M20- route can be cut back to loop around Columbus Circle if feasible.

M22- route is eliminated (if feasible).

M98- route is extended to 54th, 52nd, or 50th and Lex. Service now operates on weekends as well.

M101- route is split at 106th or 103rd. Northern part is called M105, southern is called M101.

M102- cut back to 14th St.

Edited by R68OnBroadway
added M98 change

27 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

M3- route is split at 96th Street. Northern part is called M97, southern is called M3.

M9- bus is rerouted to Worth Street after East Broadway. Bus then runs on Lafayette/Centre to Chambers, and from there it runs on Chambers to West Street where it resumes its normal route. 

M12- see M11

M98- route is extended to 54th, 52nd, or 50th and Lex. Service now operates on weekends as well.

M101- route is split at 106th or 103rd. Northern part is called M105, southern is called M101.

I don't understand any of these changes.

4 hours ago, A Former New Yorker said:

The (1),(6),(R) and (W) have subway stops at 28th St.

Kips Bay Court,POPSugar HQ,Museum of Sex and the place were the Wendy Williams and Racheal Ray Show is filmed are all on 28th St.

Stop trolling.....

4 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Yes, but who along 27/28th Streets will go to these destinations? That gap is not as big as the one between 42nd and 57th. Even then, those places you described have nothing on Rockefeller Center, St Patrick's Cathedral, or even the Circle Line Pier.

It's enough that you have buses having to deal with congestion on the main roads....

Way I see it, simply put, I'm not going to advocate for a route running along Manhattan's congested side streets..... Such a bus would actually move slower than the M34/a at its worst!

Furthermore, an injection of a 27th/28th st route into the network would solve absolutely nothing..... Last thing it needs is a lesser utilized M8 & M50.

Edited by B35 via Church

17 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Stop trolling.....

It's enough that you have buses having to deal with congestion on the main roads....

Way I see it, simply put, I'm not going to advocate for a route running along Manhattan's congested side streets..... Such a bus would actually move slower than the M34/a!

Furthermore, an injection of a 27th/28th st route into the network would solve absolutely nothing..... Last thing it needs is a lesser utilized M8 & M50.

I assume maybe that some people will probably use it. The Museum of Sex seems to be tourist attraction in NYC and the bus would transport people to/from the subway to the MoSex. Others might use the bus to go see those live shows that aired in the middle of the day. Kips Bay Court is a Apartment building. The bus could provide service from there to the 3 subway stops along 28th St. Also I did not make up this route just so I could troll. I Just made up the route for fun

Edited by A Former New Yorker

28 minutes ago, A Former New Yorker said:

I assume maybe that some people will probably use it. The Museum of Sex seems to be tourist attraction in NYC and the bus would transport people to/from the subway to the MoSex. Others might use the bus to go see those live shows that aired in the middle of the day. Kips Bay Court is a Apartment building. The bus could provide service from there to the 3 subway stops along 28th St. Also I did not make up this route just so I could troll. I Just made up the route for fun

When I speak of trolling, I'm not so much talking about the route idea, as much as I'm referring to putting every single one of those places up for some sort of stupid comparison to the level of attraction of a Rockefeller Center, in a lame duck attempt to justify a 27th/28th st crosstown...... That's exactly what you were doing in that reply to Orion.... NONE of those places you listed justifies a creation of a bus route more proximate to them.......

A former New Yorker you say? Would this be [New York, Florida] or [New York, Texas], or......

20 hours ago, A Former New Yorker said:

The streets are too tight for a bus route on that street plus the NIMBYS wouldn’t even accept this. 

17 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

M12- see M11

I’d leave the M22 and make necessary modifications within the lower east side portion and possibly extend to 14th and 1st or 23rd and 1st.  Worse case scenario. Battery Park to City Hall(M22) and the Chinatown-Lower East Side to be serviced by a new route: M29. 

9 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I’d leave the M22 and make necessary modifications within the lower east side portion and possibly extend to 14th and 1st or 23rd and 1st.  Worse case scenario. Battery Park to City Hall(M22) and the Chinatown-Lower East Side to be serviced by a new route: M29. 

A standalone M22 from BPC to City hall would suffer even more than the current M22 does, you might as well cut the chambers crosstown if you're gonna snip the m22 at City Hall

13 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

How would you differentiate that last bit from the M9? Madison St is not unique enough of a market.

5 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

How would you differentiate that last bit from the M9? Madison St is not unique enough of a market.

The M9 is already infrequent as it is. Now that I have regular meetings down in Battery Park City and shop in TriBeCa, I see how horrendous that bus is. I have to be down there today, and after my meeting, I'm taking the Downtown Connection to Whole Foods to shop. It's much faster than the M9 or M20. I've used both, and the M20 while slightly better, it leaves me too far north in Battery Park City.  

I believe the people I visit down there, the father works in finance so it's convenient for him, and the mother is likely a stay-at-home wife when travels frequently. The son actually plays tennis in Riverdale by me oddly enough. I'm assuming he must be driven, but getting to the subway is a real schlepp because of West Street.