Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
CDTA

Manhattan Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

On 4/18/2019 at 1:24 PM, B35 via Church said:

Overall, the M9 simply does too much & the M22 doesn't do enough..... That, and you don't really need a bus on [Chambers] & [a bus on Warren/Murray] over there.... Poor allocation of resources, the way I see it.

Maybe the M9 and M22 can be combined into a single route....

• Southbound:  M9 route from Bellevue to Houston St, then left Houston, right FDR, right Grand, left East Broadway to Chatham Square, into M22 route to BPC (North Cove), then continue to South Cove.
  • Northbound: From Liberty St via M20 route to Chambers, then M22 route to Park Row U-turn, continuing on Park Row under Police Plaza to Chatham Square, right East Broadway, right Grand, left Lewis, left Delancey, right Columbia, left Houston, right Avenue C, into M9 route to Bellevue.

8 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Maybe the M9 and M22 can be combined into a single route....

• Southbound:  M9 route from Bellevue to Houston St, then left Houston, right FDR, right Grand, left East Broadway to Chatham Square, into M22 route to BPC (North Cove), then continue to South Cove.
  • Northbound: From Liberty St via M20 route to Chambers, then M22 route to Park Row U-turn, continuing on Park Row under Police Plaza to Chatham Square, right East Broadway, right Grand, left Lewis, left Delancey, right Columbia, left Houston, right Avenue C, into M9 route to Bellevue.

If it were only that easy..... I mean, that'd be a tough sell to have the combined route circumnavigate one of the major ridership gen's of the M9, which is Delancey/Essex (I'm not just talking about the subway station, but it is inclusive)....

I'd just have the M22 have more of a responsibility; namely that of running it up to serve the Baruch houses & the Wald houses....

37 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

If it were only that easy..... I mean, that'd be a tough sell to have the combined route circumnavigate one of the major ridership gen's of the M9, which is Delancey/Essex (I'm not just talking about the subway station, but it is inclusive)....

M14A would still be on Essex, and M15 is fairly close by on Allen Street.

19 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

M14A would still be on Essex, and M15 is fairly close by on Allen Street.

Oh, I understand there would still be some bus service on Essex w/ the 14A... What I was getting as it the fact that you have M9 users (Av C) that use it to get to Delancey/Essex (for the subway and/or for the stores around there & what not)... Having the route come off Av. C & hang a left off Houston would immediately make the route less useful for those on the more eastern side of Alphabet City....

Combining the two routes in BPC is fairly simple & wouldn't (or shouldn't) be too much of a problem/spark too many outcries... It's when you hit Seward park (and points north) where things'll start to get difficult with the combination.

Not a proposal per se, but could we get away with cutting the Port Authority branch of the M34A and sending all buses to Javits Center?

6 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Not a proposal per se, but could we get away with cutting the Port Authority branch of the M34A and sending all buses to Javits Center?

Why do that?

6 hours ago, Lex said:

Why do that?

Because PABT has the M42 and M20 serving it while Javits Center only has half of the M34 buses serving it (since the other half are M34A)

3 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Because PABT has the M42 and M20 serving it while Javits Center only has half of the M34 buses serving it (since the other half are M34A)

The issue is that people getting to/from East Midtown would be negatively impacted. People going to/from points south of 34th street are not going to have a direct way to get to PABT.

Ultimately, the issue is more that 34th street needs more buses during the day. Those buses are often crushloaded (sometimes unecessarily) and more service would offset the need to eliminate the branch towards PABT.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Ultimately, the issue is more that 34th street needs more buses during the day. Those buses are often crushloaded (sometimes unecessarily) and more service would offset the need to eliminate the branch towards PABT.

This is just what I was going to say.

The issue with the M34 has less to do with insufficient service to the Javits Ctr. & more to do with an insufficient amt. of service, well.... Period..... That's been a gripe with 34th st. service, long before the SBS conversion & what not....

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

The issue with the M34 has less to do with insufficient service to the Javits Ctr. & more to do with an insufficient amt. of service, well.... Period..... That's been a gripe with 34th st. service, long before the SBS conversion & what not....

Here’s the other problem. Most of the emphasis is on 14th street right now and they are neglecting 34th. 34th right now is the real problem and not 14th. Plus getting buses from the Brooklyn Division to cover the M14SBS+ starting in June. 

4 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Here’s the other problem. Most of the emphasis is on 14th street right now and they are neglecting 34th. 34th right now is the real problem and not 14th. Plus getting buses from the Brooklyn Division to cover the M14SBS+ starting in June. 

Given the current situation, that's not surprising.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Q Broadway Express said:

Are the (MTA) really cutting bus stops in Alphabet City?

It's mostly just stops along Grand St and some stops South of 10 st

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

On 4/29/2019 at 7:54 AM, B35 via Church said:

On 4/29/2019 at 7:27 AM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The issue is that people getting to/from East Midtown would be negatively impacted. People going to/from points south of 34th street are not going to have a direct way to get to PABT.

The waits even with the M34 and the M34A combo along 34th are maddening. I usually just huff it where possible.  A royal pain...

4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The waits even with the M34 and the M34A combo along 34th are maddening. I usually just huff it where possible.  A royal pain...

For that, and other reasons, I don't ever rely on any crosstown routes... I don't mind walking from the east side of Manhattan to the west side of Manhattan - at all.... Even with the slow walkers & damn window shoppers... As much a pet peeve both of those things are to me, I'm more than willing to sacrifice dealing with them, than ever having to put up with the crap that you have to, whilst either a] waiting for & b] taking some crosstown route.....

...but yet you have court jesters on here talking about running buses on damn Canal st.

• LMAO! 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

For that, and other reasons, I don't ever rely on any crosstown routes... I don't mind walking from the east side of Manhattan to the west side of Manhattan - at all.... Even with the slow walkers & damn window shoppers... As much a pet peeve both of those things are to me, I'm more than willing to sacrifice dealing with them, than ever having to put up with the crap that you have to, whilst either a] waiting for & b] taking some crosstown route.....

...but yet you have court jesters on here talking about running buses on damn Canal st.

The day any bus ran on Canal Street... lol

6 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The day any bus ran on Canal Street... lol

To hell with me, I'm willing to bet all those elderly Chinese ladies would outpace that freakin thing from Church st (which is really as far west as they go, for the most part) to the bridge approach (Bowery) - even with the heavy pedestrian traffic along it.

FWIW, save for those small restaurants & those hole-in-the-wall startups that set up shop over around Canal st (1), there's not much around that part of Canal.... The M21 suffers a similar fate on the western end terminal as well; after it reaches Houston st (1), that shit dies like raid to roaches - So much so that buses would sometimes layover on the far side of Houston/Varick! (when it ends over there on Spring/Grennich (Greenwich)).... I'd CTFU in the morning whenever I saw buses on layover on that corner, alongside that HSBC (couldn't tell you wth's over there now, it's been so long since I worked in that area... lol)

Canal is a glorified Holland-Manhattan Bridge connector. I always side-eye anyone who says Canal St is the "center" of Chinatown, because it's quite clear that Canal St isn't fit to be the center of anything other than the counterfeit vendors. (Most of Chinatown is south and east of Canal St station anyways; there isn't really a station serving the center, but IMO Grand St is the more accessible station.)

Hopefully congestion pricing will make Canal St more useful as an actual street.

18 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Canal is a glorified Holland-Manhattan Bridge connector. I always side-eye anyone who says Canal St is the "center" of Chinatown, because it's quite clear that Canal St isn't fit to be the center of anything other than the counterfeit vendors. (Most of Chinatown is south and east of Canal St station anyways; there isn't really a station serving the center, but IMO Grand St is the more accessible station.)

Hopefully congestion pricing will make Canal St more useful as an actual street.

Quite honestly, I've never heard/read anyone make a mention of, or hint towards the notion of a downtown Chinatown.....

All the establishments I frequent in Chinatown are closer to Bowery than Canal st anyway.....

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Quite honestly, I've never heard/read anyone make a mention of, or hint towards the notion of a downtown Chinatown.....

All the establishments I frequent in Chinatown are closer to Bowery than Canal st anyway.....

You used to see it a lot in media coverage of Chinatown, presumably because the non-residents who write for the paper only really know about the counterfeit shops.

Chinatown doesn't really have a 'center', it's got ~3 ish clusters; East Broadway, the area around Grand St (B)(D) , and the "old" Chinatown between Columbus Park and Canal St.