Manhattan Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

CDTA

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How in the blue hell will any of this even work? You can't physically kill off ANY part of the M20 because folks from UPTOWN use it to go DOWNTOWN. M14A to Penn Station? WHAT?! You've lost your mind now, the M14A already gets slammed along 14th Street, how in the world will sending it to Penn Station make things any better? It's called the M14A for a bloody reason....

And don't give me any explanations about "Select" trips because 14th Street needs EVERY BIT OF SERVICE it can get, thats why you don't see any M14s go ANYWHERE outside of 14th Street.....

really from where to where you peaked my interest a bit the M14 part was random though. you think M7 can work or just reduce to meet demand

the site really improved with my phone for quoting. If you want to kill M20 just extend M21 south via M20 routing to battery park city ridership should improve on M21 as a result. Then extend M11 to houston street via M20 routing. Then extend M14A to penn station then southbound via 9th ave northbound via 8th. (select M14A trips only)(select M11) or M11 may gain riders as a result of easier 10th ave access. M20 canned good riddance. M14A pays for itself the slight extension wont add too much cost. M21 would gain ridership and so will M11 therefore net savings realized with more ppl on M21 & easier links to houston from M11. & no M20 M14A even with extension would still remain profitable

a redo can extend M8&21 to cover M20. cait didnt you say M20 got nothing till houston going north. descride its dismal ridership habits

I would extend the M10 to 14 and the M7 to South Ferry. Riders going southbound would just have to take a different bus, however northbound riders would have to transfer north of 14 to an M10 to go north. I would adjust M10 schedule to make transferring more continent. I would make the M10 leave six minutes after an M7 is suppose to arrive at 14 street.

How in the blue hell will any of this even work? You can't physically kill off ANY part of the M20 because folks from UPTOWN use it to go DOWNTOWN. M14A to Penn Station? WHAT?! You've lost your mind now, the M14A already gets slammed along 14th Street, how in the world will sending it to Penn Station make things any better? It's called the M14A for a bloody reason....

And don't give me any explanations about "Select" trips because 14th Street needs EVERY BIT OF SERVICE it can get, thats why you don't see any M14s go ANYWHERE outside of 14th Street.....

Nail in da coffin!!!

Its bad enough that, as an M14A rider, we have to wait two 14D's on average to every 14A. But to add an extention,even "selected trips"( which the M14 as a whole basically runs on) to have it run north one mile to the commuter heart of midtown shows the high level of some shizznit thats being smoked by who ever suggested this.

Its bad enough that, as an M14A rider, we have to wait two 14D's on average to every 14A.

So I'm not the only one that notices that.... that's one of the main reasons I don't walk over to abingdon sq. to catch the 14a to hit up that pizza hut/taco bell near union sq. for lunch anymore...... they don't come as often.... but I sure do see artics parked randomly along hudson st b/w the south side of 14th st & 12th st where it terminates (for anyone that knows the immediate area, that's not a 2 block span either.... it's about 4 or 5 blocks)...... When M11's are arriving and leaving at around the same rate as 14a's, that should tell the story about 14a service right there.....

The tomfoolery about sending 14a's to penn, I'm not taking seriously.....

So I'm not the only one that notices that.... that's one of the main reasons I don't walk over to abingdon sq. to catch the 14a to hit up that pizza hut/taco bell near union sq. for lunch anymore...... they don't come as often.... but I sure do see artics parked randomly along hudson st b/w the south side of 14th st & 12th st where it terminates (for anyone that knows the immediate area, that's not a 2 block span either.... it's about 4 or 5 blocks)...... When M11's are arriving and leaving at around the same rate as 14a's, that should tell the story about 14a service right there.....

The tomfoolery about sending 14a's to penn, I'm not taking seriously.....

Thats funny! i just started catching the 14A at Abingdon about two weeks ago since its a 5 min walk from my job (especially on the weekends with no crosstowns south of 14th) As it turns out, on the weekdays i always seem to catch the same 14A there that i would catch if i take to M8 to Ave A.

and ive noticed the 2 D's, 1 A pattern for the last few years ever since the C got replaced by the D when it use to go A-C-D-A. all they did was replace the C with the D.

And tom foolery is right! ill support a new Grand ST crosstown before a M14 extension to Penn.

Its bad enough that, as an M14A rider, we have to wait two 14D's on average to every 14A.

At best! I've had it midday, waited 25 minutes for a 14A, saw seven 14Ds go by.

The 14A at Abingdon is a mess. I've stood there and had not one, not two, but three runs missed. First guy was a noshow, second two came off layover just to go NIS. So you end up standing there (this happened twice) for a good 45 minutes trying to get a bus. Only way I've ever been able to cut a break is by knowing some of the ops, so they let me on while they're deadheading to 6th and then I get to avoid the wait. Should not that be that messed up though on such a basic route, especially when everybody's just sitting there on break while runs are being missed.

I support Gorgor in bringing back the X90.

I do also especially now that crowds on the M15 SBS are getting worse. But it should be brought back with severely reduced headways.

Ex:

8 X90 trips a day starting at 6:30 a.m

Runs:

1. 6:30

2. 6:55

3. 7:15 This run takes a lot of people that normally use the M15 SBS that starts at 89th and 2nd.

4. 7:35

5. 7:50

6. 7:55

7. 8:10

8. 8:25

I do also especially now that crowds on the M15 SBS are getting worse. But it should be brought back with severely reduced headways.

Ex:

8 X90 trips a day starting at 6:30 a.m

Runs:

1. 6:30

2. 6:55

3. 7:15 This run takes a lot of people that normally use the M15 SBS that starts at 89th and 2nd.

4. 7:35

5. 7:50

6. 7:55

7. 8:10

8. 8:25

I'd say that pretty much the entire X90 bus was businessmen who were using it to get to work. Most of which most likely had to be in by a certain time, so I would structure service based on what time the bus will arrive downtown, rather than what time it starts.

I'd do it like: The times on the right are when people will make it into their offices by. (first time = Wall Street area, second time = WFC)

1. 6:30 (arrives at 7:18) -> 7:15 / 7:30

2. 6:55 (arrives at 7:47) -> 7:40 / 8:00

3. 7:10 (arrives at 8:02) -> 8:00 / 8:15

4. 7:25 (arrives at 8:21) -> 8:15 / 8:30

5. 7:40 (arrives at 8:38) -> 8:30 / 8:45

6. 7:55 (arrives at 8:53) -> 8:45 / 9:00

7. 8:20 (arrives at 9:18) -> 9:15 / 9:30

8. 8:50 (arrives at 9:49) -> 9:30 / 10:00

9. 9:20 (arrives at 10:18) -> 10:15 / 10:30

If need be, the last 2 runs could be cut out and possibly the first. But the majority of riders came from between the 6:55 and the 7:57 buses before it was cut.

I would extend the M10 to 14 and the M7 to South Ferry. Riders going southbound would just have to take a different bus, however northbound riders would have to transfer north of 14 to an M10 to go north. I would adjust M10 schedule to make transferring more continent. I would make the M10 leave six minutes after an M7 is suppose to arrive at 14 street.

After all the years that the M10 has been screwed from Downtown to be sent to 59th & 8th.. Keep the M10 where it is at this point.

Just increase the headways on the M20 and there goes the problem. No need to extend the M10 back downtown. If anything:

M1 needs to return downtown to pre-2010 service levels, and prolly extend the M7 to City Hall/Park Pl. via Bway (POSSIBLY).

Provide relief on the M5 down Broadway. Just too many buses I see at Cooper Union. Terminals need to be spread out.

Nail in da coffin!!!

Its bad enough that, as an M14A rider, we have to wait two 14D's on average to every 14A. But to add an extention,even "selected trips"( which the M14 as a whole basically runs on) to have it run north one mile to the commuter heart of midtown shows the high level of some shizznit thats being smoked by who ever suggested this.

I concur with that. Being an M14A rider for 15 years and ongoing, I've noticed the same pattern as well. The D branch gets more of a demand than the A branch but the A branch still gets slammed and rightfully so. It's been like that for years since the old M14C got axed and replaced by the M21 which then that portion got replaced by the dwindling M9. The elimination of the M14C and M21 service led to the boost in D service. A service kinda gets supplemented by the M15 as well as the F train.

Edited by Cait Sith

I concur with that. Being an M14A rider for 15 years and ongoing, I've noticed the same pattern as well. The D branch gets more of a demand than the A branch but the A branch still gets slammed and rightfully so. It's been like that for years since the old M14C got axed and replaced by the M21 which then that portion got replaced by the dwindling M9. The elimination of the M14C and M21 service led to the boost in D service. A service kinda gets supplemented by the M15 as well as the F train.

The 14C and D always made me laugh. its only difference when i used to ride them was 4 blocks and one ave around Con-Ed. If you think about it, all they really did after that was eliminate the D and renamed the C to D! LOL

To be honest, i currently wouldnt even use the 14A from work if i didnt have to wait 30 mins for a M21 and if it ran weekends.

After all the years that the M10 has been screwed from Downtown to be sent to 59th & 8th.. Keep the M10 where it is at this point.

Just increase the headways on the M20 and there goes the problem. No need to extend the M10 back downtown. If anything:

M1 needs to return downtown to pre-2010 service levels, and prolly extend the M7 to City Hall/Park Pl. via Bway (POSSIBLY).

Provide relief on the M5 down Broadway. Just too many buses I see at Cooper Union. Terminals need to be spread out.

Interesting I had no idea M14 A was that bad ouch I see why you shot it down quickly I just tried it and understand what you guys mean how can M14 be improved then based on your experiences?

M7 idea aint so bad though I like that idea. you have a point about copper union though way too many. why not extend M7 over M20's routing if possible? just a random thought.

trexx dont bother I dont do flame wars

I'd say that pretty much the entire X90 bus was businessmen who were using it to get to work. Most of which most likely had to be in by a certain time, so I would structure service based on what time the bus will arrive downtown, rather than what time it starts.

I'd do it like: The times on the right are when people will make it into their offices by. (first time = Wall Street area, second time = WFC)

1. 6:30 (arrives at 7:18) -> 7:15 / 7:30

2. 6:55 (arrives at 7:47) -> 7:40 / 8:00

3. 7:10 (arrives at 8:02) -> 8:00 / 8:15

4. 7:25 (arrives at 8:21) -> 8:15 / 8:30

5. 7:40 (arrives at 8:38) -> 8:30 / 8:45

6. 7:55 (arrives at 8:53) -> 8:45 / 9:00

7. 8:20 (arrives at 9:18) -> 9:15 / 9:30

8. 8:50 (arrives at 9:49) -> 9:30 / 10:00

9. 9:20 (arrives at 10:18) -> 10:15 / 10:30

If need be, the last 2 runs could be cut out and possibly the first. But the majority of riders came from between the 6:55 and the 7:57 buses before it was cut.

Well here's my question to you... If you're really serious about bringing back the X90, which I support, why don't you get that representative involved (I forget his name) that wrote to the (MTA) on behalf of Yorkville/Upper East Side trying to keep the line and then see if you can get some of the X90 folks together to have a protest?? I would gladly sign any petition to re-instate the X90, especially since it would be well used. Also what would the evening schedule look like?? Would half hour headways similar to the BxM18 work with service running until around 20:00?? Say start service from 16:15 to 20:15 running every half hour or so?

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Really?

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/32143-favorite-bus-route-of-all-time-of-any-transit-system/page__p__492982?do=findComment&comment=492982

In response to the whole M14A thing, I agree, service needs to be split more evenly b/w the two branches...

lets just stick to improving M14 not gonna waste time with you in pointless smacktalk

There was an M14C. The M14D used to go straight up Avenue D to 14th St, and and the M14C used the current M14D routing on Avenue C and 10th St. After 9/11, due to fears that an M14 would be used by a terrorist to attack the Con Ed plant at 14th St and Avenue D (or something) the M14D was routed onto the M14C travel path used today, and the M14C was just re-named the M14D.

M14Old.png

Edited by Mysterious2train

Speaking of the M14, I do wonder why the buses bunch so much? Is it only because of traffic along 14th or that there are several branches of the M14?

Several? :huh: There are only two...

It's mostly 14th Street traffic...

Speaking of the M14, I do wonder why the buses bunch so much? Is it only because of traffic along 14th or that there are several branches of the M14?

2 branches, tight scheduling and for the most part, 14th Street traffic. Traveling along Avenue A, C & D is usually not bad for both the M14A & M14D. M14Ds get more demand than M14As and since the service cuts, it became even more demanding.

If you go to the Lower East Side end of both M14s, you can see that they run at a good pace compared to 14th Street which is a hot mess in itself.

Edited by Cait Sith