Manhattan Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

CDTA

Several? :huh: There are only two...

It's mostly 14th Street traffic...

Well quite frankly I couldn't tell you how many there are since I wasn't aware that any had been cut since 2010. I can't think of another local route like the M14 though with the branches thing... So many buses come that it seems like there are several branches because they came bunched sometimes in 4s and I never look to see if it's an A a D or what since I'm not riding it to the end of the line in either direction.

2 branches, tight scheduling and for the most part, 14th Street traffic. Traveling along Avenue A, C & D is usually not bad for both the M14A & M14D. M14Ds get more demand than M14As and since the service cuts, it became even more demanding.

If you go to the Lower East Side end of both M14s, you can see that they run at a good pace compared to 14th Street which is a hot mess in itself.

That makes sense. Occasionally I've gone with the M14 over to Abingdon Square and that isn't so bad once you get off of 14th street, but then again I believe the last stop is only a block or two from 14th street anyway, so I guess I would have to be on an M14 that strayed further away from 14th street to truly see.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well quite frankly I couldn't tell you how many there are since I wasn't aware that any had been cut since 2010. I can't think of another local route like the M14 though with the branches thing... So many buses come that it seems like there are several branches because they came bunched sometimes in 4s and I never look to see if it's an A a D or what since I'm not riding it to the end of the line in either direction.

That makes sense. Occasionally I've gone with the M14 over to Abingdon Square and that isn't so bad once you get off of 14th street, but then again I believe the last stop is only a block or two from 14th street anyway, I guess I would have to be on an M14 that strayed further away from 14th street to truly see.

Yep, that's pretty much the deal.

M14C service got eliminated in 2002 btw.

Let's see here...

Local routes with branches, named or unnamed:

B38

B41

Q46

Q83

And the list goes on...

Let's see here...

Local routes with branches, named or unnamed:

B38

B41

Q46

Q83

And the list goes on...

I meant named branches... As NX said, I believe the M34 would be closest to the M14 in that regard, which oddly enough confuses the heck out of me now when I see it even though I've used the line for years. Should've just kept it as the M16, which they may revert to because a lot of folks have complained about this whole M34/M34A set up.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

The closest analogy to the M14 A/D would be the M34 / A.

One thing that always puzzled me, looking at the map, is why the M21 connects with the 14A and 22 but the M14D does not. Is there any particular reason for this?

I'm not too sure, but the distance between the 14A/22 and 14D terminals is just a 2-3 block difference. Often times I would see people get off at Avenue C to make their connection to the M14D.

There was an M14C. The M14D used to go straight up Avenue D to 14th St, and and the M14C used the current M14D routing on Avenue C and 10th St. After 9/11, due to fears that an M14 would be used by a terrorist to attack the Con Ed plant at 14th St and Avenue D (or something) the M14D was routed onto the M14C travel path used today, and the M14C was just re-named the M14D.

Wow. From the way people were talking about it using Avenue C and the M21 being rerouted as a replacement, I would've thought it went the full length of Avenue C or something. I don't see the point in having 2 branches basically deviate by only a couple of blocks. I think it's better this way.

There were no cuts involving the M14 in 2010. The thing with the M14C after 9/11 wasn't really a cut, but more of just rerouting the buses (since the service levels basically stayed the same)

One thing that always puzzled me, looking at the map, is why the M21 connects with the 14A and 22 but the M14D does not. Is there any particular reason for this?

To have the truncated M21 appeal to as many riders as it can, since service was taken away from peter cooper vill. & along av C

(which that part of the route garnered a good chunk of the old 21's usage)......

The M14D definitely doesn't have problems w/ usage w/i the LES.... and with the M14a already serving FDR/Grand, there's no real reason to send 14D's down there......

Speaking of the M14, I do wonder why the buses bunch so much? Is it only because of traffic along 14th or that there are several branches of the M14?

Its a mixture of both. Traffic on 14th is terrible and it is a very crowded area as well. They run good on the avenues except the 14A gets stuck in traffic sometimes on Essex between Delancey & Houston due to drives turning on to the Williamsburg Bridge.. LES-bound buses aren't even packed until Union Square.. The scheduling is part of it too, 14D's are real frequent (I have never waited more than 8 minutes for one ever in my 10 years of riding that line) but the traffic bunches them all together. I have always wondered why 14D's get packed while 14A's have barely any passengers btw, but its just like Cait said, the area that the A runs in has more options, while the D is by itself... The 14A/D was just a headache tho, glad I don't have to take them anymore...

The reason why was because originally it was a M14A-M14C-M14D order. Now they combined the C and D and it is more frequent, thus the M14A-M14D-M14D order

That is? That explains it. But there have been occasions that I have seen 5 or 6 14D's before a 14A even comes lol

does anyone have an idea where 14th street traffic comes from?

1. It's the only two-way cross street from the East Side to the Meatpacking District

2. It's the two-way cross street through Greenwich Village

3. It has major intersections with Ave A, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Broadway, Park, 5th, 6th, 7th, etc.

4. It's only four lanes across, with two lanes of major traffic

5. It goes through Union Square, packed with people

6. It goes through Stuy-Town, packed with people

7. It goes through the Meatpacking District, packed with people

8. It leads to the West Side Highway

9. It leads towards the FDR Drive

10. It's packed with shops and stores on all ends

11. It leads to the Highline, a huge attraction

12. It passes many schools, filled with people

13. It passes hospitals, filled with people

14. Its crosstowns connects with every full up-down Manhattan bus line

15. It's filled with double-parked trucks, vans, and police cars

Ya get the idea here? There's traffic.

man, don't attempt to concoct some route that attempts to take vehicular traffic off 14th street.....

It won't work.... just like the M14 you want to send all the way to some penn station

no need the 2nd ave subway will do just that. Besides loook for my M37 proposal west side hwy nuff said dont jump the gun here you have a habit of doing that

I posted this in the Brooklyn thread, but it affects a Manhattan route: the M15 local---the short turns that do not go to the Ferry should be rerouted across the Williamsburg Bridge to provide better connections into Manhattan; there are currently no easy connections from Williamsburg to the East Side without using the L train, and this could relieve the L train (in addition to the relief that the M has brought),

no need the 2nd ave subway will do just that. Besides loook for my M37 proposal west side hwy nuff said dont jump the gun here you have a habit of doing that

You have a "habit" of making stupid proposals.....

One less proposal out of you on here is a victory for this entire forum.....

...and the 2nd av subway won't take traffic off no 14th street.... that traffic is going nowhere....

2nd av will relieve the severe overcrowding that currently takes place on the Lex.... so try again....

I posted this in the Brooklyn thread, but it affects a Manhattan route: the M15 local---the short turns that do not go to the Ferry should be rerouted across the Williamsburg Bridge to provide better connections into Manhattan; there are currently no easy connections from Williamsburg to the East Side without using the L train, and this could relieve the L train (in addition to the relief that the M has brought)

Yeah, a few people on here have made that suggestion in the past....

The only question is, how often would/should the M15 local short-turns even run to (wherever you want to send it in Brooklyn)....

Edited by B35 via Church

I posted this in the Brooklyn thread, but it affects a Manhattan route: the M15 local---the short turns that do not go to the Ferry should be rerouted across the Williamsburg Bridge to provide better connections into Manhattan; there are currently no easy connections from Williamsburg to the East Side without using the L train, and this could relieve the L train (in addition to the relief that the M has brought),

No. If anything make a separate route for that.

I do NOT want to be on an M15 and because I wasn't paying attention when I got on, I end up in Brooklyn and get SEVERELY delayed. No. Plus the variable traffic levels will cause delays.

No. If anything make a separate route for that.

I do NOT want to be on an M15 and because I wasn't paying attention when I got on, I end up in Brooklyn and get SEVERELY delayed. No. Plus the variable traffic levels will cause delays.

The driver could always announce that the next stop will be in Brooklyn (and if you get off, it'll basically be the same thing as getting off a short-turn now). If you're not paying attention at that point, then it's on you. It's like the people who fall asleep on the S89 and end up in Bayonne: It's not the MTA's fault you overslept and missed your stop.

As far as the traffic levels go, it could always be every other short-turn or something like that.

What the hell does a subway going down Second Avenue have to do with 14th Street?????

What the hell does a subway going down Second Avenue have to do with 14th Street?????

He only said that as a lame comeback to my earlier retort to him.... He knew he was gonna think up some route that would attempt to alleviate traffic along 14th.... Damn near everytime he asks where traffic comes from on a particular street, some route idea proceeds it......

If drawing a parallel between 14th st traffic & the 2nd av subway is his idea of vindication, well let him have at it.... Lol....

Aside from that question, how reliable would the M15 be? The B39 was more like a shuttle and I think that maybe that's why it was created... The serve as a reliable bus route across the Williamsburg Bridge.

Well, it's obvious that those M15's would be less reliable than those that would/do end at the current short turn location over along pike.... Which is why I wouldn't have all, or even most of the short turns going to Brooklyn..... As far as the B39, I don't think anyone's saying that moving some of the short turn M15's to Brooklyn is a better idea than simply having a shuttle run back & forth b/w the boroughs like the old B39 did....

As thick-headed (and frugal) as the MTA is, they're not going to bring the B39 back though, unfortunately.....

He only said that as a lame comeback to my earlier retort to him.... He knew he was gonna think up some route that would attempt to alleviate traffic along 14th.... Damn near everytime he asks where traffic comes from on a particular street, some route idea proceeds it......

If drawing a parallel between 14th st traffic & the 2nd av subway is his idea of vindication, well let him have at it.... Lol....

Well, it's obvious that those M15's would be less reliable than those that would/do end at the current short turn location over along pike.... Which is why I wouldn't have all, or even most of the short turns going to Brooklyn..... As far as the B39, I don't think anyone's saying that moving some of the short turn M15's to Brooklyn is a better idea than simply having a shuttle run back & forth b/w the boroughs like the old B39 did....

As thick-headed (and frugal) as the MTA is, they're not going to bring the B39 back though, unfortunately.....

Well The MTA eliminated the old M15 branch in 2010. This would totally contradict what they were trying to do. Of course they would use the M9 and revamp it almost entirely, only part of the orginal routing left is Essex Street and Houston street up to Ave B

Well The MTA eliminated the old M15 branch in 2010. This would totally contradict what they were trying to do. Of course they would use the M9 and revamp it almost entirely, only part of the orginal routing left is Essex Street and Houston street up to Ave B

It wouldn't totally contradict it b/c there wouldn't be anywhere near as many buses going to brooklyn than as many M15's that ended at park row....