"Bandstand & New Year's Eve Host" Dick Clark Dies

Shortline Bus

Rename a street in Times Square area for TV Legend Dick Clark  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should NYC rename a local street in Times Square after Dick Clark

• "Yes." His New Years Eve specials made Times Square a household name across the US and the world.
    • NO. Save that honor for lifelong New Yorkers(i.e police officers, community leaders and 'war' heros/veterans.

While I wasn't born when American Bandstand was on the air, I remembered watching him host various game shows, notably The $25,000 Pyramid and Scattergories. He was an all-time favorite because of his calm, witty demeanor and professional approach to his hosting. I remembered watching him struggle in his recovery from his stroke, and while it pained me to see him slur and mess up his lines at times, I know he wanted us to enjoy the spectacle along with him.

This is a sad day in the TV and Rock 'n' Roll industry. May his legacy live on. R.I.P., Dick Clark.

Guest Lance

I don't know. For me, it depends on who's performing during the thing, rather than who's hosting it.

Many of you know he was the host of $25,000 Pyramid, along with several other game shows over the years. Well, here's the first episode of his first game show "The Object Is" way back in 1963.

http://youtu.be/jCsScWi3ceI

Courtesy: Gamelover1949 (YouTube)

Lance as someone who basically(i was not home every New Years Eve)had Dick Clark on background for counting down to the new year for basically my entire life it does make me sad. I know the New Years Eve shows will go on, but i not sure anyone could ever replace him.

PS Just saw on some websites some calls already to rename a part of Times Sq(I am serious guys)in memory of Dick Clark. reactions?

Too bad. He was never the same after that stroke a few years back. It was painful and sad to hear him try to countdown for the last 4 years or so.

Very true. Another part about Dick Clark that often forgotten is how he played a small part in the civil rights era. By having many Black artists on his show at an era(1950's/early 1960's)when people of color was hard to find. And here his bio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Clark

Guys. You still plan to watch the New Years Eve show assuming Ryan Seacreast is now the permament full time host?

No. I only tuned in to see Dick Clark hosting the pre-drop ceremonies. I never really cared for the music acts after the ball dropped. And given the 'talent' these days, forget about it!

A very simple question guys? Should NYC rename a local street in Times Square after Dick Clark i.e part of 43rd Street between Broadway and 7th Avenue?

Supporters state that Mt. Vernon, NY-born(Westchester County) Mr. Clark through His New Years Eve TV specials help to make Times Square a household name across the US and the world. In addition the New Years show helped NYC gain at least hundred of millions of dollars in tourist dollars for that special holiday. Not to mention a well respected TV exec and Businessman that helped all types of future stars (especially Black and Latinos who were not seen as headliners at start of Clark's show)and donating/raising millions of dollars to charties as well.

While critics will say that Clark does not deserve that special nod. Those opposed will say that honor for lifelong New Yorkers(i.e police officers, community leaders and 'war' heros/veterans. It was a topic today on local newsradio shows and even on websites? What you guys think? Feel free to vote in the poll

Just a sad story all around, 82 isn't even that old these days. He'd been through a whole lot though, he was never quite the same after that stroke. Always seemed like a very good guy to me, real loss here and no, New Years' Eve will never be the same.

No. Let LA name something.

That what makes this debate intresting Tokkemon. IMO i am on the fence myself as both sides (i.e those who support rename the street in Times Sq. for Dick Clark & those oppose)have a good point.

Better case could be made for renaming the street in Philly for the studios for that ABC station(Channel 6)where American Bandstand was created and born.

Like RTS CNG Command, I too wasn't born during the "American Bandstand" But I do remember him through his hosting of game shows. I loved seeing him during new years as well. We sure lost a legend. R.I.P Mr. Dick Clark. You will be missed.

NYCtrainfan I only myself remember the last 8-10 years of "Bandstand" during the 1980's. It was a such a treat and go on Youtube if you can get a chance. Personally even though i was too young myself to remember the 1970's era was great.(even though most of the performers lip synced lol)

Some more clips from Bandstand

1)Run DMC 1985 (first Hip Hop Band on the show)

2)Old school R&B Sam Cooke "You Send Me"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbYD_PsJk_s

3)KC and Sunshine Band "That way you like it" (1975/'76 New Years EVE special)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SdoclYTS_0

Off topic. Despite losing his friend/mentor 2012 might turn to be the best year in Ryan Seacreast carrer. Seacreast has agreed to a pay raise to stay as Host of "American idol" at whopping $15 Million a year. This despite the fact "Idol" is barely hanging on as the #1 rated Entertainment TV show in the nation. Plus he is in final stages to offically take over as the full time solo host of the ABC-TV New Years Eve special replacing the late Mr. Clark.

Not bad for Seacreast who only 10 years ago(just as "Idol" was debuting) was working as a D-J/Radio Personality at a LA radio station and unknown to rest of America.

I now already miss Dick Clark.

I am so sadden by this loss. I loved Dick Clark when I was little. I loved all of the reruns of the game show Pyramid and then I loved the New Year's Eve ball drops he did. It was sad to see a man as great as him look so badly in the last few years of his life. I hope he is in a much better place right now.

Archived