F Route

rfortyslant

i go to my dads house (he lives on bergen st. (F)(G)) from jay street to bergen st, the (F) train switches over from another line where it switches back and meets up with the (G) trains.

what is that section of tracks used for that the (F) train switches over from?

You mean the tracks that lead down to the lower level of that line?

Those will be put into use one of these days. Those are basically express tracks.

have they ever been used? might as well be used for that <F> which will never be invented

I'm not sure I understand your question...

but south of jay, the F shifts over to the upper level ("revenue trackage") of Bergen st...

those other set of tracks lead to the lower level, which is abandoned...

sure theyre aboandoned?

i go to my dads house (he lives on bergen st. (F)(G)) from jay street to bergen st, the (F) train switches over from another line where it switches back and meets up with the (G) trains.

what is that section of tracks used for that the (F) train switches over from?

Perhaps a picture explains it best...as Pablo said those are the old Culver express tracks...

detail-hoytberg.png

As for G.O's sometimes the (F) will run express in one direction due to track work, tunnel work, or third rail work. It's VERY rare that a train would go through those tracks largely due to problems with Bergen interlocking (not sure what the status is there, but the equipment was damaged pretty badly and IINM that switch has to be operated manually), so if you see a GO that says the (F) might go down there, take the ride. However, be advised trains running on the lower level never stop at Bergen St.

However, be advised trains running on the lower level never stop at Bergen St.

Yeah. Bergen was renovated a couple of years back, and supposedly the renovations to the upper level damaged the lower level so much that it was rendered service incapable.

It has been used in the past. Yes, there was an (F) express before, and that used the lower level.

Archived