The End of Daimler Buses NA

DaimlerBuses

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as Gillig goes, Orion has underbid them recently and Gillig still won. Let's not bury Orion yet. Even if the model remains discontinued, their legacy and enginerring know how just may survive. There is a group of people exploring some very interesting options as I type this. Right now they are exploring the synegies of a possible merger, asset purchase, or partnership of Daimler Buses North America with an undisclosed bus manufacturer.

DBNA will continue to operate and build buses through 2012, and into early 2013. Between now and then, anything is possible.

As far as Gillig goes, Orion has underbid them recently and Gillig still won. Let's not bury Orion yet. Even if the model remains discontinued, their legacy and enginerring know how just may survive. There is a group of people exploring some very interesting options as I type this. Right now they are exploring the synegies of a possible merger, asset purchase, or partnership of Daimler Buses North America with an undisclosed bus manufacturer.

DBNA will continue to operate and build buses through 2012, and into early 2013. Between now and then, anything is possible.

Hope something really comes of this to save some jobs. Daimler has done this before with other divisons its use to own.

Man I always liked the Orion V. They were awesome when we had them. They were the first CNG buses we owned, first surburbans, and first 30 footers we ever bought. The last ones we ordered were in 2000. (Yes folks we didn't have just Phantoms running around here we had some interesting stuff in the 90s and into the early 2000s).

RIP Orion.

Artics would be far more viable if the LIRR stations weren't put into such tight turns. A D60 might be able to handle the stretch past Jamaica but how will it handle the turn off Merrick Road onto Henry Street?

Also, I thought all the buses for LI were meant to be CNG. The diesel pumps have been inactive for years now, never mind the cost of acquiring it...

New Flyer CNG Artic

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/index.php/topic/24879-introducing-the-new-flyer-xn60/page__hl__xn60__fromsearch__1

I call BS. I have yet to hear this from an official source. Why would NFI do that when their backlog is at its lowest in years? Doesn't make any sense to me. huh.png

New Flyer did halt the production of some buses, but I can't recall why.

You know what I was just thinking? Maybe a company could buy out the rights to Orion buses like Millennium did for the RTS. Just a thought...

It could actually happen. This would be an easy deal to finance if Daimler were to play ball. The question is whether Daimler is willing to sell Orion with its parts business. As long as that is the case, then a deal like that could be done in weeks.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As mentioned, Centro's new Orion VII CNG buses have been introduced to service this weekend on the State Fair park & ride shuttle services in Syracuse. The buses feature a new paint scheme and slogan for the authority, and also a surprise from Orion - LED headlights.

CNY Centro #1208 departing the shuttle station at the fairgrounds:

7868541566_08b76b68fd_b.jpg

Centro1208_082512_JDevlin by RailBus63, on Flickr

Jim D.

Why do you think this is? We know it's not delivery costs (that would've been my forst assumption) as buses do go to CA and Seatle... Do you think agencies are being loyal to Gillig (a CA company) or do you think it's just dumb luck and they do something buy from whoever responds to the RFP with the lowest bid?

Ok everyone lets form a group and contribute whatever amount we want towards powerball and/or mega million tickets when we win we buy the design for the VII's from Orion, start our own company and outbid every bus builder when an RFP is put out. The country will be littered with VII's... lets say a lottery ticket costs $1 if you contribute $1 during the winng lottery drawing and let's say $300 worth of tickets were bought by our group you'd own 0.3% of the company, 3.3% if you contributed $10, 10% if you contributed $30 etc.

See the great ideas I come up with when I've been drinking a little! What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned, Centro's new Orion VII CNG buses have been introduced to service this weekend on the State Fair park & ride shuttle services in Syracuse. The buses feature a new paint scheme and slogan for the authority, and also a surprise from Orion - LED headlights.

CNY Centro #1208 departing the shuttle station at the fairgrounds:

7868541566_08b76b68fd_b.jpg

Centro1208_082512_JDevlin by RailBus63, on Flickr

Jim D.

That bus is just amazing!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived