Delay Management Strategies

This thread is based on scenarios that occur around the subway system that causes: Re-routes, Headway adjustments, & possibly Suspension of Service.

BLOCKAGE: A4 Track between Prospect Park (:P(Q) and Switch 57 ( South Of DeKalb Avenue)

TIME: AM Rush Hour

ANTICIPATED DURATION: 10 Minutes or Longer

State the Re-route, Emergency G.O., Service Suspension, and / or, if needed Headway adjustment(s).

Figure out the best and most efficient way to do it..

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would reroute a GO from Stillwell over the Sea Beach until the blockage clears. I don't know about the trains already on the Brighton line towards Dekalb maybe terminate them at 7th Avenue but I don't know the switching there too well. Must check the map for that.

I would reroute a GO from Stillwell over the Sea Beach until the blockage clears. I don't know about the trains already on the Brighton line towards Dekalb maybe terminate them at 7th Avenue but I don't know the switching there too well. Must check the track maps for that.

Prospect Park station would be a better terminal for this case.

Bill (NYCT)

Yes, both of you guys are on the right track. The reroute would consist of the following:

(:P Manhattan Bound Trains discharge at Prospect Park. If the congestion seems to appear to be longer than 8 minutes, crews change ends and run on 8 minute headways; No Service in Manhattan

(Q) Alternate Manhattan Bound Trains ( on 7 minute headways ) operate via Sea Beach and West End to either F2 ( 4 Av Local ) or F4 ( 4 Av Express ), then return to normal service at DeKalb Avenue. SouthBound Service runs normal; If congestion appears to be developing at Prospect Park, Selected Coney Island Bound (Q)s run via 4 Av to Sea Beach or West End.

(D)(N) Normal Service

Lets try this again, and members, lets see some more ZEST in the response!:P

BLOCKAGE: Track F1 from Switch 11 ( North of Pacific St ) to 36 Street

TIME: AM / PM Rush Hours

What Should we do?

Lets try this again, and members, lets see some more ZEST in the response!:P

What Should we do?

Hmm...I'll take a "first reaction" stab at this and try to be creative in the process...

Well Im assuming that means a train laid down passing over the switch North of Pacific from 1tk to 3tk...so locals can't EASILY "avoid" the problem...

S/B service...

All (M)ikeys terminate at Chambers till the blockage is cleared. Any (M)ikeys south of Chambers that can relay at BRD do so. Any (M)ikeys past BRD and ®omeos run via Brighton Express to Kings Hwy where they relay South of the station. (B)ravos scrape the wall on Brighton, they still terminate at BBC though on tks 2 and 4. (D)eltas run normal via 4th ave exp and West End. (N)ovembers run normal via 4th ave exp and Sea Beach.

N/B service...

(N)ovembers and (D)eltas scrape the wall on 4th Ave to make up service for the stops skipped. Any (M)ikeys that couldn't relay in Manhattan and ®omeos run Brighton EXP N/B, switch back to use the tunnel entering DeKalb. (B)ravos scrape the wall N/B on Brighton to give ®omeos and any stuck (M)ikeys the chance to relay at Kings Hwy.

And also...

any S/B ®omeos south of the blockage become dedicated (R) shuttle. Take as many trains as needed to run about a 6 minute interval, and run them from 95 to 36. All others run N/B via 4th ave local on out of the affected area. ®omeo shuttles will run express N/B from 59 to 36, where they'll relay and obviously everything S/B has to be EXP, anyway, so they'll just jump right in.

Hmm...I'll take a "first reaction" stab at this and try to be creative in the process...

Well Im assuming that means a train laid down passing over the switch North of Pacific from 1tk to 3tk...so locals can't EASILY "avoid" the problem...

S/B service...

All (M)ikeys terminate at Chambers till the blockage is cleared. Any (M)ikeys south of Chambers that can relay at BRD do so. Any (M)ikeys past BRD and ®omeos run via Brighton Express to Kings Hwy where they relay South of the station. (B)ravos scrape the wall on Brighton, they still terminate at BBC though on tks 2 and 4. (D)eltas run normal via 4th ave exp and West End. (N)ovembers run normal via 4th ave exp and Sea Beach.

N/B service...

(N)ovembers and (D)eltas scrape the wall on 4th Ave to make up service for the stops skipped. Any (M)ikeys that couldn't relay in Manhattan and ®omeos run Brighton EXP N/B, switch back to use the tunnel entering DeKalb. (B)ravos scrape the wall N/B on Brighton to give ®omeos and any stuck (M)ikeys the chance to relay at Kings Hwy.

And also...

any S/B ®omeos south of the blockage become dedicated (R) shuttle. Take as many trains as needed to run about a 6 minute interval, and run them from 95 to 36. All others run N/B via 4th ave local on out of the affected area. ®omeo shuttles will run express N/B from 59 to 36, where they'll relay and obviously everything S/B has to be EXP, anyway, so they'll just jump right in.

I agree with SubwayGuy.

I will also add that the (W) should and can remain in normal service.

• 1 month later...

This is very interesting thread that I would love to particpate in....the only problem is...I don't know which tracks are which:(...all my diagrams are back at home and Im in school

For your next scenario,If its not too much trouble can you specify which tracks are which (A1 F1 etc.) (by maybe posting a track map of the affected area or something to that extent)

Lets try this again, and members, lets see some more ZEST in the response!:D

What Should we do?

Okay since the only alternate soulution is Culver and Brigton i would

(D) switch the train to local somewhere on 6th avenue and on the (F) line. then i would have it run express on Culver (if only one way affected).

(N) I would have it run on Brighton (exprss or local) and terminate with the right side entrance to the linked (N) terminal

(R) the (R) follows the (N). I would have the (R) go all the way to 36th st for easier backup. then it will go on the CI-bound (N) tracks. at 59th st will transfer to local tracks or even 36th st.

(M) will have to follow the (D). i will recommend it to go local. it would terminate at Bay Parkway.

This is very interesting thread that I would love to particpate in....the only problem is...I don't know which tracks are which:(...all my diagrams are back at home and Im in school

For your next scenario,If its not too much trouble can you specify which tracks are which (A1 F1 etc.) (by maybe posting a track map of the affected area or something to that extent)

Does this help?

BLOCKAGE: Track B2 (Manhattan Bound-Montague St Tunnel Track)

between DeKalb Av & Whitehall St

TIME: AM & PM Rush Hours

ANTICIPATED DURATION: 20 Minutes or Longer

Lets hear it..

Suspend (M) south of Chambers Street (No Service Between Chambers St & Bay Parkway)

Send Manhattan Bound (R) via Bridge with trains returning to local track south of Prince St

Suspend (M) south of Chambers Street (No Service Between Chambers St & Bay Parkway)

Send Manhattan Bound (R) via Bridge with trains returning to local track south of Prince St

Between Broad/Chambers and Bay Parkway.

Correct! The both of you guys!

-(M)- Selected southbound Trains turn at Chambers Street. Northbound Service in Brooklyn Suspended.

-(R)- Northound Trains Via the Manhattan Bridge on 10 minute headways; F4 Track ( Manhattan Bound 4 Av Express Track) to H2 Track (Manhattan Bound South Side Manhattan Br Track), then switch back to normal, south of Prince Street to A2 Track (Queens Bound Bdwy Local Track).

-(N) Service can be delayed by ®omeos traveling via Bridge.

-(:)(D)(Q) Trains operate on an 8.5 minute headway.

-Selected (N) or ®'s may turn at 36 St to provide SouthBound Service.

BLOCKAGE: B5 Track between switch 119A north of 50 St/6 Av & switch 17B South of Lexington Avenue.

TIME: AM Rush Hour

ANTICIPATED DURATION: 20 Minutes or Longer

Submit Your General Order.....

So is that (V) track on the 53rd st line that is blocked or the (F) track on the 63rd st line?

Also is this Queens or Manhattan Bound

Note to self: Bring labeled track diagrams back to school with you when you go home this weekend..lol

Archived