Delay Management Strategies

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
Send select (F) trains down the (G) line with the (E) running on the (V) and (V) service being suspended.

I agree, send select F trains through Crosstown. If it is 53rd, send the (V) to 63rd Street. (E) service will be affected. If it is 63rd, send select (F) via (G) between Bergen and Roosevelt Avenue, run express after Roosevelt. Send other (F) via 53rd, running on the (E).

I got one.

BLOCKAGE: Train stalled at 75th Avenue Station on the southbound local track on the Queens Blvd Line

TIME: Noon on a sunday

ANTICIPATED DURATION: 20 to 30 Minutes

Lets see what you guys come up with.

Have Downtown (F) switch at Parsons Blvd to express track. Bypasses Sutphin Blvd, Van Wyck/Briarwood and 75th Avenue.

Where do you put the trains layed up on the express tracks there?

That's the only feasible solution, other than waiting. The only places where the F could assess the express track is after Parsons and after 75th. Since there's a block at 75th, you have to bypass that station. Correct me, because I haven't been on that section of the (F) for 2 years. But I believe, the trains would be laid up between Parsons and Jamaica-179. In that case, move the lay-ups towards 179th. The priority is to clear the express track (if it is clear already) so that the (F) could arrive on time at Continental.

Maybe a track map might help.

A little far-fetched, but here goes.

Run southbound (F) trains on the northbound express track until the switch after Van Wyck Blvd. Then move trains to the southbound express track. Make all northbound (E) trains run local after 71 Ave.

Any trains laid up on the northbound express track on the (F) can be moved to the southbound express track, if there is room.

Maybe a track map might help.

A little far-fetched, but here goes.

Run southbound (F) trains on the northbound express track until the switch after Van Wyck Blvd. Then move trains to the southbound express track. Make all northbound (E) trains run local after 71 Ave.

Any trains laid up on the northbound express track on the (F) can be moved to the southbound express track, if there is room.

For the last point: The train would probably clear by the time they move all the lay ups.....

What I would do is suspend (E) and (F) after 71st Street in both directions and turn trains at 71 st Street. Reason why is to keep the flow of train to Manhattan going instead of sending trains all the way out that would take a while to come back. On a sunday you can get away with that.

But your idea almost works.

For the last point: The train would probably clear by the time they move all the lay ups.....

What I would do is suspend (E) and (F) after 71st Street in both directions and turn trains at 71 st Street. Reason why is to keep the flow of train to Manhattan going instead of sending trains all the way out that would take a while to come back. On a sunday you can get away with that.

But your idea almost works.

Arrgh, I was considering doing that! :(

MTR, is there really a way around that one? Unless you suspend all service into Manhattan from Queens, and turn around all trains coming from Brooklyn at Chambers. I don't see any switches north of Canal that would allow bypassing or reversing on the track map[/url].

It might be possible just to wait it out as well.

• 4 weeks later...

My idea for MTR's problem.

Manhattan-bound (J) terminates Essex.

(Z) suspended.

Queens-bound (M) turns Chambers. Shuttle (M) Marcy Av.-Metropolitan Av.

(J) shuttle Broad-Chambers.

My problem:

BLOCKAGE: Police investigation on Sutphin Blvd. (F), westbound local+express closed.

TIME: Afternoon rush hour

ANTICIPATED DURATION: 30 minutes-1 hour

Keep in mind (E) Jamaica is at capacity.

(Z) suspended.

My problem:

BLOCKAGE: Police investigation on Sutphin Blvd. (F), westbound local+express closed.

That will do, except I don't think they will do a Chambers to Broad thing. They will passengers to take the 4 or 5.

As for your thing... turn F trains at 71st

(Z) suspended.

My problem:

Wait, do you mean it's closed for that part of the line?

BLOCKAGE: Train stalled at Canal Street on the Jamaica/Metropolitan Ave bound track on the BMT Nassau Street Line

ANTICIPATED DURATION: 10 to 20 Minutes

I will pull my train into J1 (the local on the right) and bypass the abandoned Canal St. and then bybass Bowery into Essex St.

If you wanna ask me, where I'm getting this, or if NYCSubway.org maps are different, it's because I have Peter Dougherty's book, updated better than the website.

I got one.

BLOCKAGE: Train stalled at 75th Avenue Station on the southbound local track on the Queens Blvd Line

TIME: Noon on a sunday

ANTICIPATED DURATION: 20 to 30 Minutes

Lets see what you guys come up with.

Terminate the (G) at Court Sq. to make room for the (F) and (E) to terminate at 71 Ave. Run a few special trains running on the northbound tracks from 71 Ave to 179th St. and Jamaica Center while limiting the amount of west-bound service during the special trains running.

I will pull my train into J1 (the local on the right) and bypass the abandoned Canal St. and then bybass Bowery into Essex St.

If you wanna ask me, where I'm getting this, or if NYCSubway.org maps are different, it's because I have Peter Dougherty's book, updated better than the website.

Yeah, that is an option... even though maps don't show it, there is in fact a track connection leading to the abandoned Canal platform from Chambers. Sometimes I see trains heading there for lay ups.

Eastbound/southbound tracks are still open right?

If so: Jamaica Centre-bound and Manhattan-bound (E) runs local b/t 71st and Jamaica Centre.

Manhattan bound (F) runs express b/t 179 and 71st. (on southbound express track to the switch b/t Van Wyck and Union Tpk, then northbound express tracks to 71st).

Does that work? Basing this entirely on the track maps...

OR

(F) terminates at 71st, shuttle buses replace (F) trains between 179 St and Van Wyck Blvd.

Eastbound/southbound tracks are still open right?

If so: Jamaica Centre-bound and Manhattan-bound (E) runs local b/t 71st and Jamaica Centre.

Manhattan bound (F) runs express b/t 179 and 71st. (on southbound express track to the switch b/t Van Wyck and Union Tpk, then northbound express tracks to 71st).

Does that work? Basing this entirely on the track maps...

OR

(F) terminates at 71st, shuttle buses replace (F) trains between 179 St and Van Wyck Blvd.

Can't. There's no track connection from the northern track to teh southbound express.

Archived