Delay Management Strategies

Here's one that happened on the (E) yesterday:

BLOCKAGE: Damaged rail outside 50th Street lower level on (E) line, Jamaica bound.

TIME: AM Rush Hour

ANTICIPATED DURATION: 2-3 Hours

(MTA) Fix:

Uptown (E) trains rerouted over the (C) to 145th St.

My Fix:

(E) trains to 145th Street. Trains that run to 145th Street will turn and run back to WTC.

(E) trains to Manhattan run over the (V) to W4, and then regular. These trains run on the (V) back to Queens.

Once rail problems are fixed, (E) train service restored.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My solution for (D) derailment (s/b express at 81):

(C) suspended

(E) runs to Euclid

(A) local both directions 168-59

(D) local southbound 125-59, both directions W4-47/50

(:P Terminates at W4

(V) suspended.

My solution to SevenEleven's problem:

(V) suspended

(E) runs on (V) both directions to 2 Av. (F)

My problem:

Broken rail, Manhattan-bound 60 St. tunnel

AM Rush Hour.

Expected to last 2-3 hours.

(N) Turns at Lexington Avenue on Queens-bound track.

(R) Operates via 63rd Street Line in both directions.

(W) Operates as Shuttle between Astoria and QBP LL. Passengers transfer to (7) for Manhattan.

OK. My original idea was similar, but suspend the (W) and run the (N) in 2 sections.

• 2 months later...
BLOCKAGE: Due to a Police investigation, the upper and the lower level of 145th Street is closed in all directions.

TIME: Start of AM Rush Hour

ANTICIPATED DURATION: 5 hours

Oh snap. This one is pretty tricky.

Okay, customers can transfer to the M10 at 59th Street, as it follows the CPW route. Suspend (:), (C) and (V) service. Send the (D) to Forest Hills via QBL local. A (D) shuttle can operate between 205th and 161st-Yankee. There are switches past the station that can allow it to change direction. Split the (A) route. The (A) will run LOCAL between 125th and its Queens branches and a shuttle will run between 207th and 168th Street. Those to 135th, 145th, 155th (Ams), 163rd will have to take a bus.

BLOCKAGE: Due to a Police investigation, the upper and the lower level of 145th Street is closed in all directions.

TIME: Start of AM Rush Hour

ANTICIPATED DURATION: 5 hours

(A) - Replaced by Shuttle Buses between 125th and 207th Streets.

(:) - Diverted to 57/6 and relayed behind the wall at 63/Lex to the Broadway Line by wrong-railing on the 63rd Street BMT if possible.

(C) - Replaced by selected (E) Trains.

(D) - As MTR said, replaces the (V) between 34th Street and Forest Hills. Bronx passengers can use the Bx1 and Bx2 to the (2) or (4) or take the express bus.

(A) - Replaced by Shuttle Buses between 125th and 207th Streets.

(:) - Diverted to 57/6 and relayed behind the wall at 63/Lex to the Broadway Line by wrong-railing on the 63rd Street BMT if possible.

(C) - Replaced by selected (E) Trains.

(D) - As MTR said, replaces the (V) between 34th Street and Forest Hills. Bronx passengers can use the Bx1 and Bx2 to the (2) or (4) or take the express bus.

Or in fact, I'll make the (B) part of the Broadway line during this period. Knock out the (W)?

Or in fact, I'll make the (:) part of the Broadway line during this period. Knock out the (W)?

The (W) serves Lower Manhattan unless you mean sending the (B) via the tunnel, but then you'd have to suspend the (M) south of Chambers so there's room for the (;) in the tunnel. But, now a problem in Harlem/Washington Heights could be affecting subway riders in Middle Village and Fresh Pond as well as people getting off the SI Ferry.

The (W) serves Lower Manhattan unless you mean sending the (:) via the tunnel, but then you'd have to suspend the (M) south of Chambers so there's room for the (B) in the tunnel. But, now a problem in Harlem/Washington Heights could be affecting subway riders in Middle Village and Fresh Pond as well as people getting off the SI Ferry.

That's true. However I think that turning at Lex/63rd for the (;) will have greater service impacts on the (F).

• 2 months later...
I see no one's posted here in a while...

BLOCKAGE:

Water Main break at 9th St (4th Ave)

TIME:

4PM on weekday

ANTICIPATED DURATION:

~3 or 4 hrs

Hmmmm.....send (N) trains via (Q) line in both directions, (D) via the (F) line directions. (M) trains terminate @ Broad Street and suspend the (R).

Hey I tried, couldn't think of anything else lol!

BLOCKAGE:

TIME:

4PM on weekday

ANTICIPATED DURATION:

~3 or 4 hrs

-Send all downtown trains to Brighton Beach and suspend (;) service along Brighton Beach because of overcrowding issues.

-For the uptown trains, make the (N) terminate at 36th street.

-Activate the (R) shuttle.

-Suspend the (M) completely and make it terminate at it's Manhattan Terminals with some trains at Myrtle Avenue.

-Uptown (D) trains terminate at 36th street.

-Downtown (D) trains either terminate at Second Avenue with the (V) or West 4th Street on the Downtown Track and then turn back around.

-Activate the Grand Street (S) and make it run two trains with both terminating at Grand Street, then switching over the switch outside Broadway Lafayette and then letting all trains terminate at West 4th Street UPTOWN platform to allow customers to connect to the (D) trains.

<DEPENDING ON THE SITUATION>

-If one track is still available, then run a Shuttle between 36th Street and Atlantic Avenue Pacific Street making all local stops with ONLY 1 TRAIN.

-(D) train customers must take the (Q) or (N) to 34th for (B) or (D) service.

-(N) service is self-explanatory there.

-(M) trains customers are forced to transfer at Canal to resume trip.

Crazy Day ain't it.

Hmmmm.....send (N) trains via (Q) line in both directions, (D) via the (F) line directions. (M) trains terminate @ Broad Street and suspend the (R).

Hey I tried, couldn't think of anything else lol!

that's the simple way, but what happens to the Brooklyn (D)(N)(R) riders?

-Send all downtown trains to Brighton Beach and suspend (;) service along Brighton Beach because of overcrowding issues.

-For the uptown trains, make the (N) terminate at 36th street.

-Activate the (R) shuttle.

-Suspend the (M) completely and make it terminate at it's Manhattan Terminals with some trains at Myrtle Avenue.

-Uptown (D) trains terminate at 36th street.

-Downtown (D) trains either terminate at Second Avenue with the (V) or West 4th Street on the Downtown Track and then turn back around.

-Activate the Grand Street (S) and make it run two trains with both terminating at Grand Street, then switching over the switch outside Broadway Lafayette and then letting all trains terminate at West 4th Street UPTOWN platform to allow customers to connect to the (D) trains.

<DEPENDING ON THE SITUATION>

-If one track is still available, then run a Shuttle between 36th Street and Atlantic Avenue Pacific Street making all local stops with ONLY 1 TRAIN.

-(D) train customers must take the (Q) or (N) to 34th for (B) or (D) service.

-(N) service is self-explanatory there.

-(M) trains customers are forced to transfer at Canal to resume trip.

Crazy Day ain't it.

Complicated, and it would affect (M) riders b/t Marcy and Myrtle and (B)(C) riders along CPW. My solution:

(B) terminates at 2nd Ave

(D) terminates at Pacific

(M) terminates at Broad

(N) via Brighton exp To CI or Brighton Beach (if CI becomes congested) and shuttle 59th-CI

(R) terminates at Dekalb on its own downtown track, crosses back over to uptown track using switch north of Lawrence, reduce headway. Shuttle 36th-95th

(if possible) extend (V) via culver (express to Church, then express downtown local uptown to Church) to CI to make up for loss of (D) service

Alright. I'll re-modify my method.

_________

-(;) trains remain unaffected and should be used as an alternative for customers who want to travel along 6th Avenue from Brooklyn.

-(D) terminates at Atlantic/Pacific on the UPTOWN track via the switch outside of the station. (D) trains will make the stop at DeKalb Avenue.

-Norwood trains that are stuck in Brooklyn because of the situation must either get into Coney Island yard, or travel up the (F) via the Express Tracks to not create too much congestion. The remainder of the trains will Shuttle in between 36th and Coney Island.

-Shuttle in between 36th Street and Atlantic/Pacific on the local tracks. The Shuttle will be traveling down one track ONLY due to no switches available to cross over outside of Atlantic/Pacific.

-(N) trains will Shuttle in between 36th and Coney Island.

-(W) service will be cut at the duration of this situation with (N) and (R) trains stuck in Manhattan to substitute the service.

-(M) trains all terminate at Broad Street.

-(R) shuttle activated.

• 2 weeks later...
I see no one's posted here in a while...

BLOCKAGE:

TIME:

4PM on weekday

ANTICIPATED DURATION:

~3 or 4 hrs

I would have my OT slip fill out and be willing and ready to go where ever they reroute me. :P

For which line 8th Avenue or 6th Avenue?

Both!

My solution:

(3) Local south of 34th St to help nearby 8th Ave riders

(5) Extended to Flatbush to help Bklyn Riders

(A) 2 sections: 207th - 14th st, express, crosses over before 34th (every 10/15 min): and Canal to Lefferts/Rock Pk

(C) terminates at 34th (:P(D)(F)(V) on S/B express track

(D) terminates 14th St via S/B local track, crosses over at 34th/42nd, runs every 15 min

(E) terminates at 7th Ave Upper (Southbound) level, crosses over at switch E of Lexington Ave, 10/15 min headway

(F) runs from Bway/Lafayette (N/B local track) to CI using switch south of Delancey/essex

(G) replaces (F) via QB EXP

(J) or (M) extended to CI via Montague St/4th Ave EXP/West End to replace (D)

(L) runs with shorter headways to help crosstown manhattan riders

Shuttle Bway/Lafayette (terminates on EXP tracks) to Prospect Park (Q) via Manhattan Bridge

Special (V) from 71st ave to 47th-50th sts via Roosevelt Is

• 2 months later...

Man, this sort of "what if" ideas in the subway is what I used to live for before the Internet age; but this past year, I just did not have time to follow it.

What I often think of is a more long term situation with the Manhattan Bridge going back to earlier partially colsed scenarios with the new patterns, or of course, completely closed. Even though it is all fixed up, you never know what could happen. Like they found problems a few months ago, leading to weekend shutdowns. Or, God forbid, an attack.

Things are different now, with the 63rd St. connector completed, so things would be very different, especially in the northside only open scenario.

You would most likely end up with the (Q) and (V) being merged (probably retaining (V) rather than (Q6). It could switch from express to local at Bway Laf/W4. If they keep it on the express, then, they would end up having to switch the (F) and (V), with the (F) going back to 53rd and the (V) going to 63rd. It would be an emergency, basically, so they might have to. Or end up combining the (F) and (Q6), and the (V) would have to cover the Culver.

Since there were always problems with the 46's on the Brighton, I would imagine them putting them back on the (F), and sending a bunch of 160's from CI to Jamaica, which would probably be the base yard for the line. So you would have a full time (V) with 100% 160's. If the (Q6) and (F) are merged, of course, the new combined line would have the 160's.

Over on Broadway, of course, the (W) would be swallowed by an (N) local via tunnel again. It is possible they could keep the (Q) on Broadway, via tunnel, and cut back the (M), as they had planned in the cutbacks. That would be less disruptive to the service pattern.

Now, if the service were like now, with express service on the Brighton eliminated, the (Q) would probably be simply replaced by a full time (:) (to 145 evenings, nights and weekends, as was done in its last West End days).

If you go back to the last service pattern, southside only open, it would just go back to the way it was. (W) to Brooklyn and <Q>. I imagine, with the (N) back as the express now, they might keep it the same, and it would only be an extension of the (W) via tunnel, and cross to the express at Pacific. Though, southbound, they try to avoid this now.

If the Brighton express service was out, then there would be no <Q>, and the space on the Bridge could be given to the (W). This makes it ironic, how in the same time frame as the 1986-88 pattern, they had this same setup on the Brighton, but still ran the two services --as skip stop, bumping the (N) into the tunnel seemingly forever.

Then, there is the fully closed scenario; the most drastic.

In the pre-2001 plans, generally (which did get to run once in a 1992 rush hour shutdown), the West End was always cut back to Pacific, the (M) cut back, and only one service on the Brighton, so you would only have 3 services in the tunnel. I imagine that's all they could do, unless they decide the West End was more important now, in which you would have the (W) from Astoria to Coney Island, and the (N) as a shuttle in Brooklyn, just like in the last pattern on weekends.

the East River crossings study also had a shuttle from Brighton Beach to Franklin, but while the Franklin line's connections to other lines have been improved to better serve as alternative routes, the stations' capacity has been greatly reduced, and with no 170-or-less ft. train sets, there is nothing that could run there. They could build a temporary extension to the southbound platform at Botanic Gardens, borrow the 8 car 160's from the (M) that would be isolated in CI, and terminate them on that side and run the existing shuttle cars the rest of the way from the other side. But that's dumping all of the people onto the IRT which is in permanent overcrowded state itself. They will not all transfer to the other side, and most wouldn't fit in the two car trains anyway. But we would really like to rather get them to the Franklin terminal since the IND local has additional capacity (One of the plans even suggested sending the (E) to Brooklyn for this, or making the (A) local).

They made it hard to extend that other side platform, because a concrete room was built on the south end. If that were removed, It appears you could build temporary extensions on the other stations.

The same plan also had the (V) extended all the way to Coney Island! (though both local, and at that time, the decision to take the (F) off 53rd was not made yet, so the (V) was assumed to be 63rd)

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another one. Tunnel collapse on Nassau line somewhere between Bowery and Chambers. Looks so old and decrepit, not hard to believe would happen.

The (J) would be merged with the (C), and the (M) with the (V). I had always said they would never do this, but this is just the sort of emergency that would warrant it. The (E) would pick up the run of the rest of the (C) to Euclid.

(Z) would end at Essex middle.

(M)/(V) would be normal weekday hours, and the (C)-replacing services would run the normal all times except nights. Nights, (E) would revert to normal (WTC) and (J) would terminate Essex middle.

ENY and the (E) would now get a lot of the 32's from the (C). They might end up pulling 160's from the (F) for the (E). The (F) and (R) would probably end up getting the 32's and 42's. I'm not even sure if they could run on the ENY lines, which can only use 8 cars. They butchered a lot of the station markers to try to run them on the (C), but I don't know if this was completed everywhere (like the 6th Ave line, or in Queens), or if some of it may have been changed back or whatever.

So this would be the opportunity they would take to replace the 42's in ENY with 32's, and it would remain like that when service was restored. (So then the 42's would remain at JYD).

Not sure if the Chambers-Bay Pkwy half of the (M) and the (J) shuttle would still have the 160's, or get 32's. If they did that, that would create a pool at CI that the (B)'s lone 32 could join.

Also hope (J) and (M) would fit with the (F) from Bway-Laf to W4.

• 2 weeks later...
I have one.

FBI agents overhear a terrorist saying, "Bomb 42 St in Manhattan".

They don't know where, so all service on/near 42 St. is affected. This includes:

(A)(;)(C)(D)(E)(F)(N)(Q)(R)(S)42(V)(W)(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)<6>(7)<7>.

I don't know what to do:confused::confused::confused::confused:

PANIC!

Archived