The subway mysteries thread!

metsfan

I have patrolled this station ad-infinitum but I still cannot find how the center tracks were going to get to grade level to go over the Brooklyn Bridge (original plan shelved). You can see the rise at the south end of the station and if you go street side, there are so many ramps to the bridge where it would have been impossible. Anyone know where the portal would have been (oh, I checked near Pace University, no evidence there either).

I have patrolled this station ad-infinitum but I still cannot find how the center tracks were going to get to grade level to go over the Brooklyn Bridge (original plan shelved). You can see the rise at the south end of the station and if you go street side, there are so many ramps to the bridge where it would have been impossible. Anyone know where the portal would have been (oh, I checked near Pace University, no evidence there either).

impossible. that's why there are no fan trips throught the entrance there.

I dont think there were that many ramps at one point.

Also, it was too dark sadly to get a photo, but i saw the inner loop platform at south ferry yesterday. Weird with half of its boarding "portals" blocked off from the inside.

Another thing i saw yesterday... I know many people might be wondering bout the fate of the cortlandt street (1) station. I've given some answers to the best of my knowledge before but yesterday i saw evidence of some additional information people might like to have. The track bed was rebuilt, the un-damaged support structures were mostly left in place with temporary bracing where they took the damaged columns out. There is NO platform remaining at this station, it was totally gutted and where the platforms used to be, there are now plywood boards along the side. If you look carefully you can see light coming through gaps in the boards, this is light from the outside. This station will never go back to the way it was before. The platform lengths may or may not be altered, the track before & after the station isn't aligned correctly with the rebuilt part and gives a very bumpy ride, this will be fixed before the station re-opens, but not before the station is done or nearly done. Judging from what i've seen it will take around 3-4 years to rebuild this station, bringing it in line with the new WTC completion time frame of 2011-2012. when i say completed, i mean functionally operational, but not all finished elements will be in place to save time (similar to columbus circle).

- Andy

Another one I have been thinking about. The South 4th Street station shell has 6 trackways and if it had been built, it would have been a very large station. What I want to know is why 6 tracks? I know that the IND second system would have had 2 trunk lines connecting there and tunnels from the city. I wounder what the interlocking lay out would have looked like for that station.

DSC01280.jpg

DSC01279.jpg

DSC01273.jpg

DSC01274.jpg

DSC01275.jpg

DSC01276.jpg

DSC01277.jpg

Wow, that is a humdinger of a find/mystery.

I hear forgotten-ny.com has tours of a lot of abandoned areas and such. Would be cool to bring them in on some of this stuff.

Time to send some emails!

- Andy

I doubt that they have tours of South 4th Street. I won't tell you how I got in there in detail, but it does require a costume change and track walking.

I believe they have (NYCT) official(s) on hand.

- Andy

Really, I know that the MTA had tours of abandon stations years ago like 18st, 91st, and worth st but those were stopped. If a tour could be worked out that would be cool, but to get into the South 4th Street shell station, you need a ladder.

Here's something that I'm curious about. There's a hidden platform at City Hall, not talking about the (6) platform. This is regarding the (N)(R)(W) City Hall Station. There's a platform underneath the active one. What is that used for? I see tracks leading to it.

Really, I know that the MTA had tours of abandon stations years ago like 18st, 91st, and worth st but those were stopped. If a tour could be worked out that would be cool, but to get into the South 4th Street shell station, you need a ladder.

18th street is still there if you look out the window of the 6 train, you get a better view goin downtown tho

if you look out the side window of the R train, after the woodhaven blvd. station, you see that the tunnel starts to get wider and wider, then you see beams and stuff like there's suppose to be another track there, and then that extra tunnel space abruptly ends.

if you look out the railfan window of the E train, right after canal street when the A/C goes above, when the E train turns you see extra tunnel room but the extra tunnel is going straight ahead and it looks like if there was track it would go away from the E track

does anyone here know the explanations to these? (well i do, just want to see if you guys know lol)

if you look out the side window of the R train, after the woodhaven blvd. station, you see that the tunnel starts to get wider and wider, then you see beams and stuff like there's suppose to be another track there, and then that extra tunnel space abruptly ends.

if you look out the railfan window of the E train, right after canal street when the A/C goes above, when the E train turns you see extra tunnel room but the extra tunnel is going straight ahead and it looks like if there was track it would go away from the E track

does anyone here know the explanations to these? (well i do, just want to see if you guys know lol)

(R): IND Second System, to the Roosevelt Avenue Terminal Station/Windfield Spur/Rockaway Line, I think.

(E): IND Second System, to Worth Street Line.

(R): IND Second System, to the Roosevelt Avenue Terminal Station/Windfield Spur/Rockaway Line, I think.

(E): IND Second System, to Worth Street Line.

Worth street was closed due to it becoming redundant as the station one stop away was expanded. I forget the details, but i know several stations were abandoned due to other stations being expanded, or changes in traffic patterns. Others were closed due to the abandonment of a line.

- Andy

Worth street was closed due to it becoming redundant as the station one stop away was expanded. I forget the details, but i know several stations were abandoned due to other stations being expanded, or changes in traffic patterns. Others were closed due to the abandonment of a line.

- Andy

No no, not Worth St on the Lex. There was a proposed line under Worth St that would diverge from the 8th Ave local tracks before the now-WTC stop.

Read this article from Wikipedia.

It is used for lay-ups for the (W) train. I also heard a while ago that one track out of the 3 is not 3rd rail powered and work trains sometimes use it too.

Yup...B4 is used for work trains only, B3 and BM are used for revenue layups though...

The reason for the lower level is plans were to terminate locals upstairs and the expresses would use the lower level and go into Brooklyn through the tunnel but when they decided to run trains over the Manny B those plans were scrapped before actually seeing service, so the local tks were turned into through tracks to lower Manhattan and the express tracks diverted as today to the other Canal St platform.

However IINM B4 does have a third rail it's just the eastern platform has no exit upstairs so you'd have to walk through a train on BM to get to the western platform to exit the station and head back upstairs

Now for a real Mystery...76 ST :D

• 1 month later...

I've a few questions. B)

1.Do the additional three portals bricked up southbound between 36th street and 9th avenue on the (D)/(M) & SBK lead to tunnels, or not?

Image 1:

Two on the right, and I guess the third is behind the white shed? (I think there's a trailer in front now)

sb4thaveEr.JPG

(from http://arrts-arrchives.com/sbrt.html)

Image 2:

Diagram showing the three dotted lines @ D477. Also a track in line with them @ D489.

9Ave.diag.gif

(from http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/abandoned/9ave.html)

Call it wishful thinking, but I wondered if a tunnel was completed behind those.

2. Where exactly is this? ((S)?)

FrnklnConn1.JPG

(From http://arrts-arrchives.com/brbch2.html)

Does that follow through with a tunnel, and/or have a counterpart bellmouth or portal on another line?

3. Have the bellmouths between 63rd Drive / Rego Park been photographed (or videoed), and do they have tunnels and/or portals leading to Whitepot?

(Sorry, no photo. I'm the one who wants to see some) B)

Thanks in advance.

I think the bell mouths were for a separate SBK tunnel. The SBK originally went from Bush Terminal to Coney Island Yard. It went through 39st yard and down Gravesend Ave under the Culver Line. Other then that, don't know too much about it. I would love to get in there and get some pics, but that area is very dangerous.

Archived