Best article I've read about reactivating the Rockaway Beach line

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

go for it. subway to QB. Also add the future to connect to laguardia

Did you folks hear the laguardia is the worst airport in the world?

LaGuardia Airport can't be served by subway as the neighborhood doesn't want to see an elevated line run down their neighborhoods to LaGuardia. It has been explained here millions of times. Unless if the Astoria Elevated is relocated underground and extended this won't happen.

The article was very informative and laid out the history of the former LIRR branch and it's importance to the mass transit system in Queens and beyond. I was shocked that the writer was a member of the local community board and actually advocated such a plan because it always seemed to me that everyone in that part of Queens suffered from the NIMBY syndrome. Obviously I was mistaken and there are people in the area who have a vision of the greater good in mind rather than their own limited mindsets. I must caution that this is just one person's idea so let's not get carried away too soon and enter Fantasyland, aka Foamer's Paradise, and see where the MTA, Mr Coumo, and the rest of the politicos stand on this. Carry on.

The article was very informative and laid out the history of the former LIRR branch and it's importance to the mass transit system in Queens and beyond. I was shocked that the writer was a member of the local community board and actually advocated such a plan because it always seemed to me that everyone in that part of Queens suffered from the NIMBY syndrome. Obviously I was mistaken and there are people in the area who have a vision of the greater good in mind rather than their own limited mindsets. I must caution that this is just one person's idea so let's not get carried away too soon and enter Fantasyland, aka Foamer's Paradise, and see where the MTA, Mr Coumo, and the rest of the politicos stand on this. Carry on.

It is not one person's idea. Although the idea has been around for a good number of years, the Genting Convention Center Proposal at Aqueduct has given it new life. It is gaining support although some communities prefer a greenway. Here are two more recent articles:

http://www.qchron.com/editions/south/at-an-abandoned-line-calls-for-restoration/article_667598c8-dbcf-5b79-9a69-033e85f98e7d.html

http://www.leaderobserver.com/view/full_story/18433074/article-Goldfeder-renews-push-for-working-train-at-abandoned-line-?instance=home_news_bullets

I would like to see train service restored on the Rockaway Line. This Queens Courier article makes a very convincing case for why it should be done. It's more than just about serving Genting, a convention center or Kennedy Airport. It is about linking north and south Queens and serving a very busy corridor centered on Woodhaven Boulevard. It's great to see folks like Vincent Castellano in favor of restoring the Rockaway Line.

LaGuardia Airport can't be served by subway as the neighborhood doesn't want to see an elevated line run down their neighborhoods to LaGuardia. It has been explained here millions of times. Unless if the Astoria Elevated is relocated underground and extended this won't happen.

They still fighting to see LGA is going to be redone or not . Most said leave it ( even though they did work years ago) and some say its an eye sore that needs to be torn down.

S/F,

CEYA!

I used to walk that train tressel as a kid with my siblings and friends during the summers, sledding on garbage can lids in the winters... good old times... good shortcut to Met Food supermarket on Jamaica Ave! Unfortunately I can easily see a Stand By Me Ray Brower-type reference being used to shoot down the project... and actually happening. These kids... thayza gittin stupider...

Honestly it's a really relaxing walk, especially when you get to the Forest Park area (under the Myrtle Ave passover not too far off of Woodhaven Blvd). In the summer its quite scenic to see the lush greenery intertwined with the railroad tracks...

I don't mean to ruin the fun, but shouldn't this be in the LIRR/MNR Forum?

It's about possibly re-opening the abandoned LIRR Rockaway line as part of the subway system. I can see why you would think it should be part of the LIRR forum. If it was about re-opening the line as part of the LIRR, then yes.

It's about possibly re-opening the abandoned LIRR Rockaway line as part of the subway system. I can see why you would think it should be part of the LIRR forum. If it was about re-opening the line as part of the LIRR, then yes.

Ok, I am sorry.

Anyways, I never knew that the LIRR had a Rockaway branch. Looking at some pictures, it could use a little work, but I can see it being a pat of the subway.

If this is going to be connected to the subway, they will need to build another line in Queens (ie: Queens super express) so they can accommodate this extra line. I just don't see them maybe taking the (R) to go down there and the (M) going to 71st by itself. They won't touch the (E)(F) because those lines are needed more on their respective routes.

If this is going to be connected to the subway, they will need to build another line in Queens (ie: Queens super express) so they can accommodate this extra line. I just don't see them maybe taking the R to go down there and the M going to 71st by itself. They won't touch the E/F because those lines are needed more on their respective routes.

Actually, not true.

Here's how I would handle that as I have written previously. This assumes by the time such a line would open up, Phase 1 of the SAS would also be complete and in operation:

(R) replaces the (N) as the full-time route to Astoria and also switches Brooklyn terminals with the (D), with the (D) going to 95th Street-Brooklyn and the (R) to Coney Island (this so the (R) has Coney Island for a yard since the (D) has Concourse Yard). (D) is now a 4th Avenue local and no longer skips DeKalb Avenue, while the (R) remains a 4th Avenue local from 36th to Atlantic-Pacific. Both are now 24/7 routes with the current overnight (R) shuttle eliminated.

(N) continues to operate as it does to Astoria, but on weekdays only from 5:30 AM-10:00 PM. Late nights and weekends, the (N) goes with the (Q) to 96th Street-2nd Avenue to supplement SAS service during those hours, however, when needed outside of weekdays the (N) can run to Astoria instead.

A new (W) train operates Whitehall Street-Rockaway Park via the Queens Boulevard local and the connector to the former LIRR Rockaway Line, replacing the (R) as the Broadway line via QB.

The (M) becomes at least a 19/7 line to 71-Continental. The (G) also returns to 71st Continental at all times ( (E) goes back to being a 24/7 express on QB since the (G) would be 24/7 to 71st). Rush hours and other times as needed, both the (G) and (M) are extended to 179th Street while during those hours, the (F) stays express all the way to 179th Street.

If this is going to be connected to the subway, they will need to build another line in Queens (ie: Queens super express) so they can accommodate this extra line. I just don't see them maybe taking the (R) to go down there and the (M) going to 71st by itself. They won't touch the (E)(F) because those lines are needed more on their respective routes.

Maybe bring back the (V). You could concievebly run it from the Rockaways to 2nd Avenue. It might overload the 6th Avenue line, though. If not, have a Broadway train run from the Rockaways to Whitehall, City Hall or somewhere in Brooklyn. Or in the far future, get Phase III done for the 2nd Avenue subway and have a line run on the 63rd Street line and down 2nd Avenue.

Too overcrowded. The old IND plans shows the (G) running parallel to the IND Queens Boulevard Line and then down the Rockaway Beach Branch. I suggest this as the current proposal.

Maybe, if a Queens station becomes a hub, like the article suggests. If one of the objectives is to bring people directly from Manhattan, though, it may not be as good a suggestion.

I agree. It would also be awkward to have a line running "northbound" in Manhattan then turn southbound again in Queens, and possibly end up further south than it's "southern" terminal! So I too always said it should be a new line via the Bypass. Perhaps keep it running next to the LIRR tracks into Manhattan, and make a 33rd St. crosstown line out of it.

Maybe bring back the (V). You could concievebly run it from the Rockaways to 2nd Avenue. It might overload the 6th Avenue line, though. If not, have a Broadway train run from the Rockaways to Whitehall, City Hall or somewhere in Brooklyn. Or in the far future, get Phase III done for the 2nd Avenue subway and have a line run on the 63rd Street line and down 2nd Avenue.

An (O), from Hannover Sq to the Rockaways.

I feel like the best solution is to bring back the (W), Whitehall St-Rockaways, and increase (N) service when Phase 1 of the SAS opens to accomodate the loss of the (Q).

The Second Avenue Subway is way too far away to be considered as an option right now, and the Sixth Avenue Line can't handle another subway service. Even the (G) would require new infrastructure since the IND Queens Boulevard Line is way too overcrowded unless if you use the (M) or (R). I spend some more time thinking about any possible (G) extension yesterday. It seems too difficult. The only problem is the (M) is a part time line. Having it extended onto the Rockaway Beach Branch all the way to the Rockaways would require the (M) to run at all times since there won't be another service to back the (M) up on the Rockaway Beach Branch. However it would relieve the (A) which currently has to branch out at 3 locations during rush hour, and it can replace the Rockaway Beach (S) finally removing it from existence which was the IND Second System plan all along.

Archived