Best article I've read about reactivating the Rockaway Beach line

The Second Avenue Subway is way too far away to be considered as an option right now, and the Sixth Avenue Line can't handle another subway service. Even the (G) would require new infrastructure since the IND Queens Boulevard Line is way too overcrowded unless if you use the (M) or (R). I spend some more time thinking about any possible (G) extension yesterday. It seems too difficult. The only problem is the (M) is a part time line. Having it extended onto the Rockaway Beach Branch all the way to the Rockaways would require the (M) to run at all times since there won't be another service to back the (M) up on the Rockaway Beach Branch. However it would relieve the (A) which currently has to branch out at 3 locations during rush hour, and it can replace the Rockaway Beach (S) finally removing it from existence which was the IND Second System plan all along.

Or have the (S) run on the new line. :)

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we want any manhattan service thats faster than the current option. Now for something that can be implimented within the next 10 years or so, any "bypass" or "new tunnels into manhattan" are out of the question. Now the original 1929 Sencond system plan did indeed include a "Bypass" but since technically there was no "G" train (it was simply the B-Q Crosstown" that wouldnt happen nor was it stated specifically what line was gonna use it) and it also included a terminal station at Roosevelt Ave(EFGR&7). The terminal station there was mostly built and included ramps for thru service into midtown via QBL. Simplify its original routing thru middle village and instead send it all the way up to QB, youll have one of the most inexpensive and quickest was to bring up subway service to the old ROW. Most of us wont mind a treansfer since there are many who go to rockaway from midtown via the Q53 (i was one of many who did this. Years of this pattern one recognizes faces on a daily basis)

As far as routes, as always, a lot of you crack me up. Move this, reroute that, bring back this......crazy. These " ideas are as if it were to happen next week and include future things that arent going to, or havent happened yet. by the time something like this may come to be, chances are, CBTC MAY (key word...MAY) allow a 5th line along the QBL. How about we advocate the need for the old RoW to be activated first, then speculate (another key word) how service may be provided.

The most logical idea ive read here is extending the Rock Pk train north. Do-able if its a non-manhattan line.

What are you talking about? The portal to connect to the Rockaway Beach Branch already exist on the IND Queens Boulevard Line. They just need to do a little bit more construction and then the ROW needs to be rebuilt, but then it is done, and what are you talking about it the (M) being extended through Middle Village? The (M) will be turned south of Woodhaven Boulevard.

That is not the solution they want...

I think the point of this line via the former Row is to provide that area of Queens with another north-south service. I dunno how much of a demand there is, but if QB were able to accommodate a 5th line I think the (G) could be a good idea being a 4-car train. Riders from the Rockaways are just going to transfer to the express anyway, so I'd send the shortest local train there and keep the (M)(R) as is.

The reason I don't think the (M) should be extended is because there aren't enough 8 car trains (unless the next new orders calls for more 8 car trains or the (C) becomes 10 car trains).

I think that the (S) could be relabled (H), extended via Queens Blvd Local to 59 Street-Columbus Circle.

No room again. There is no room for any extra service to Manhattan.

I think the point of this line via the former Row is to provide that area of Queens with another north-south service. I dunno how much of a demand there is, but if QB were able to accommodate a 5th line I think the (G) could be a good idea being a 4-car train. Riders from the Rockaways are just going to transfer to the express anyway, so I'd send the shortest local train there and keep the (M)(R) as is.

The reason I don't think the (M) should be extended is because there aren't enough 8 car trains (unless the next new orders calls for more 8 car trains or the (C) becomes 10 car trains).

I thought the IND Queens Boulevard Line won't be able to handle the (G) since there isn't room. So (G)service won't be frequent.

All we lack is the will and the leadership.

Very true. And I should also say I would like to see this line activated after being paid for with tax dollars and sitting doing NOTHING for 50 years.

Speaking of such, maybe a blue (W) could be created between Rego Park and Mott Avenue.

No room again. There is no room for any extra service to Manhattan.

I thought the IND Queens Boulevard Line won't be able to handle the (G) since there isn't room. So (G)service won't be frequent.

In my other post, I said they would need another Queens trunk line to take the pressure off QB.

(M) via 63rd via super express, stops at Woodhaven. At Woodhaven, (G) goes down to the Rockaways, (M) local all the way with the (R) to 71st. As much as I'd want the (E)(F) to be split*, the (M) serving as an express won't be able to handle the crowds with just 8 car trains.

*What they could do for 53rd-Lex is have Am rush hour Queens bound trains skip that stop so the platform handles only riders heading to Manhattan and pm rush Manhattan bound trains skips that stop.

In my other post, I said they would need another Queens trunk line to take the pressure off QB.

(M) via 63rd via super express, stops at Woodhaven. At Woodhaven, (G) goes down to the Rockaways, (M) local all the way with the (R) to 71st. As much as I'd want the (E)(F) to be split*, the (M) serving as an express won't be able to handle the crowds with just 8 car trains.

*What they could do for 53rd-Lex is have Am rush hour Queens bound trains skip that stop so the platform handles only riders heading to Manhattan and pm rush Manhattan bound trains skips that stop.

Yes, but the (M) can't go to Myrtle Avenue with anything longer than 8 cars.

Some good information on the branch before someone says lies about the line...

http://en.wikipedia....ay_Beach_Branch

Hope this helps.

300px-RBB_above_Metro_Av_jeh.JPG

By the looks of this, I don't think that the (MTA) would be willing to activate the line.

(site of Parkside station. There is a huge tree in the track and no trace is found of Parkside station.)

Huh? I pointed that out about how the (M) CAN'T be the QB express because those trains are too short. That's why the (M) would have to be shifted over thru 63rd and the (F) reinstated to 53rd.

To streamline operations, yes?

That is not the solution they want...

It's better than nothing.

Me personally, I'd be tempted to extend it out towards Eastern Queens along the Horace Harding Expressway. I mean, to get to Midtown from the Rockaways, I think the (A) would still be slightly faster, so you might as well send the line somewhere more useful.

Or maybe have it merge into the LIRR somehow and have it terminate at LIC.

I don't think that's a good idea. I mean, what about the people coming off the (6)? People on the street level could walk over to 5th Avenue, but people transferring don't have that option.

I did this map using the (M), but any service that would run onto the Rockaway Beach Branch will pretty much follow this map so therefore I titled it as a similar type of line. Notice I renamed Rego Park on the Rockaway Beach Branch to St. Johns. I don't want people to be confused so I renamed it using the name of the church and cemetery nearby. This map is also not 100% accurate with the Canarsie Line, the New Lots Line, and the Myrtle Avenue Line is omitted from view, and the coastline for Brooklyn is also inaccurate. However accuracy in this map doesn't matter since it is a basic map showing how a line like this would run.

rockaway_beach_branch_by_roadcruiser1-d4yzsvk.jpg

I did this map using the (M), but any service that would run onto the Rockaway Beach Branch will pretty much follow this map so therefore I titled it as a similar type of line. Notice I renamed Rego Park on the Rockaway Beach Branch to St. Johns. I don't want people to be confused so I renamed it using the name of the church and cemetery nearby. This map is also not 100% accurate with the Canarsie Line, the New Lots Line, and the Myrtle Avenue Line is omitted from view, and the coastline for Brooklyn is also inaccurate. However accuracy in this map doesn't matter since it is a basic map showing how a line like this would run.

rockaway_beach_branch_by_roadcruiser1-d4yzsvk.jpg

Why the (M), though? 8 car trains? And that looping around in Queens...

Why the (M), though? 8 car trains? And that looping around in Queens...

I already made the map before Grand Concourse said it so it was too late to remake the map. That is why I also mentioned "A similar service" in my comment above. Any service that would run on the Rockaway Beach Branch will follow the route.

I don't think that's a good idea. I mean, what about the people coming off the (6)? People on the street level could walk over to 5th Avenue, but people transferring don't have that option.

The point is if both of the heavily demanded Queens routes runs thru the same tunnel, something must be sacrificed. The current island platform as is won't be enough to accommodate everyone and by having it serve one group of riders will be safer.

Come to think of it, if this happened, some of those rush hour (M) trains could skip Aqueduct and JFK on the Express tracks.

Aqueduct is only open on game days, and JFK is an airport stop. That can't be skipped. Airports need more service not less.

That looks VERY similar to what I was thinking, except I would do it as noted as a (W) from Whitehall Street that would replace the (R) as the QB train (the (G) and (M) would both go to 71st-Continental, the (G) all times and the (M) at least 19/7 if not 24/7 and to avoid any possible conga lines towards 71-Ctl, the (G)/(M) would rush hours also be extended to 179th Street while the (F) during those times is express all the way).

Archived