Time On MTA's Side As Agency Cracks Down On Illegal Swipes

mark1447

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority is trying to make it harder for subway swipe scammers to pull off their crime.

The agency has rolled out a secret pilot program targeting swipe scammers who siphon millions of dollars from the system each year.

The program increases the time between swipes of unlimited cards at the same station from 18 minutes to up to 60 minutes.

The longer the wait, the less profitable the scam is.

The change was implemented at 28 stations where selling swipes is most prevalent.

Scammers force riders to participate by damaging the MetroCard vending machine, then charging riders a dollar to swipe them through the turnstile.

http://www.ny1.com/content/news_beats/transit/160706/time-on-mta-s-side-as-agency-cracks-down-on-illegal-swipes

lol.... They could start at Union Square... Those damn swippers are beyond annoying. Not only them, but then you have the nut jobs picking up Metrocards from the filthy ground swiping them to see if they have anything left on them. <_< I always try to avoid certain parts of Union Sq. if I need to pick up an Express bus plus card because those swippers are beyond ridiculous. One of them starts heckling me the minute he sees me going to the machine. I whirled around and looked at him like if you back off I'm going to flip out on you and he gave up. Basically you have to avoid the stairs that lead to where the Whole Foods entrance is near. I have seen more of a police presence but that's on the other side of the station, though that is a hot spot for the folks picking up Metrocards.

well that's nice, but we need cops at certain stations at the right times! At stations, like my station, Sterling St, people are let in, BY THE STATION AGENT! the agent lets people in when they ask.

I don't see how that warrants cops. I mean, if somebody needs a ride and they can't afford a MetroCard, then I don't see the problem in letting them in.

Not only them, but then you have the nut jobs picking up Metrocards from the filthy ground swiping them to see if they have anything left on them. <_<

I don't see what the problem is with that. I mean, if the people don't think it's worth transferring the 50 cents or whatever onto another MetroCard, and somebody else can use that money, I don't see what's the problem.

I don't see how that warrants cops. I mean, if somebody needs a ride and they can't afford a MetroCard, then I don't see the problem in letting them in.

If they can't afford a Metrocard then they WALK. I don't see the problem in walking... Furthermore, unlimited Metrocards were not meant for folks to be giving others rides and making a profit off of it. All it does is screw up things for those of us who use unlimited Metrocards the legal way, which happens to be a large percentage. The base fare is only $2.25 cents and if you can't afford it then you shouldn't be using the system. Hell for that matter maybe you shouldn't be in NYC period. When the fare was lower, the same crappola was happening. People still complained that they couldn't afford the fare. Basically some folks think the subways and buses should be free, which is ridiculous. These same moochers have no problem cheating the tax system too because they don't think should be paying their fair share of taxes either, so basically they're fine with living off of other people's hard earned money and that I do have a problem with.

I don't see what the problem is with that. I mean, if the people don't think it's worth transferring the 50 cents or whatever onto another MetroCard, and somebody else can use that money, I don't see what's the problem.

Well for starters, the problem is I don't like people near me when I'm transacting business. There is a certain space barrier that folks are supposed to give when using the Metrocard machines. I almost got into with this young teenager once over there. I'm there trying to get a few Express bus Metrocards and here he is behind me and I turn around like give me some space and then I said something and he got all pissed off talking about what you think I'm going to rob you? Might've been a Latino dude, but I don't care. I don't like people near me like that when I'm conducting business. Anyway he moved over a bit enough so that he wasn't right by me and kept on picking up Metrocards and swiping them. I heard somewhere that some folks were taking old Metrocards and finding a way to make them work for rides and such. I forget the details but I heard about it a while ago. The loop hole may have been fixed though. That's another reason why a lot of them go around trying to swipe the cards too.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority is trying to make it harder for subway swipe scammers to pull off their crime.

The agency has rolled out a secret pilot program targeting swipe scammers who siphon millions of dollars from the system each year.

The program increases the time between swipes of unlimited cards at the same station from 18 minutes to up to 60 minutes.

Great, now bring back the fun pass, thanks.

Those damn swippers are beyond annoying.

Tell me about it, one scammer at 179th st almost had a temper tantrum because I was trying to buy a MetroCard at the machine. I looked at him like he was crazy. At that time I was buying a monthly, his swipe wasn't going to help me at all.

1) If they can't afford a Metrocard then they WALK. I don't see the problem in walking... Furthermore, unlimited Metrocards were not meant for folks to be giving others rides and making a profit off of it. All it does is screw up things for those of us who use unlimited Metrocards the legal way, which happens to be a large percentage. The base fare is only $2.25 cents and if you can't afford it then you shouldn't be using the system. Hell for that matter maybe you shouldn't be in NYC period. When the fare was lower, the same crappola was happening. People still complained that they couldn't afford the fare. Basically some folks think the subways and buses should be free, which is ridiculous. These same moochers have no problem cheating the tax system too because they don't think should be paying their fair share of taxes either, so basically they're fine with living off of other people's hard earned money and that I do have a problem with.

2) Well for starters, the problem is I don't like people near me when I'm transacting business. There is a certain space barrier that folks are supposed to give when using the Metrocard machines. I almost got into with this young teenager once over there. I'm there trying to get a few Express bus Metrocards and here he is behind me and I turn around like give me some space and then I said something and he got all pissed off talking about what you think I'm going to rob you? Might've been a Latino dude, but I don't care. I don't like people near me like that when I'm conducting business. Anyway he moved over a bit enough so that he wasn't right by me and kept on picking up Metrocards and swiping them. I heard somewhere that some folks were taking old Metrocards and finding a way to make them work for rides and such. I forget the details but I heard about it a while ago. The loop hole may have been fixed though. That's another reason why a lot of them go around trying to swipe the cards too.

1) Back when the fare was lower, wages were lower too. And not everybody who can't afford the fare is a deadbeat.

2) Yeah, you used to be able to bend it a certain way and you'd get a free ride out of it. At first, you could bend it and you'd basically have an Unlimited MetroCard. Then they made it so you'd only be able to get one free ride, but it looks like they closed that loophole. (I tried it out of curiosity once. I was on a school trip, so I had a Student MetroCard on me anyway, so I wasn't trying to get an extra free ride or anything).

I think they realized that people were putting videos up on YouTube showing where the spot is, so they figured they better put an end to it.

lol.... They could start at Union Square... Those damn swippers are beyond annoying. Not only them, but then you have the nut jobs picking up Metrocards from the filthy ground swiping them to see if they have anything left on them. <_< I always try to avoid certain parts of Union Sq. if I need to pick up an Express bus plus card because those swippers are beyond ridiculous. One of them starts heckling me the minute he sees me going to the machine. I whirled around and looked at him like if you back off I'm going to flip out on you and he gave up. Basically you have to avoid the stairs that lead to where the Whole Foods entrance is near. I have seen more of a police presence but that's on the other side of the station, though that is a hot spot for the folks picking up Metrocards.

Union Square? I don't even see any there. Especially with a PD station there. Start at IND Fordham on the Concourse please! Thats the worst of it all.

Great, now bring back the fun pass, thanks.

Tell me about it, one scammer at 179th st almost had a temper tantrum because I was trying to buy a MetroCard at the machine. I looked at him like he was crazy. At that time I was buying a monthly, his swipe wasn't going to help me at all.

Not so fast with the fan pass. That ill give these swippers a better chance of continuing. They can buy multiple cards at a cheap cost and continue to do what they do. Use one card, then 15min later the other, and keep going.

Union Square? I don't even see any there. Especially with a PD station there. Start at IND Fordham on the Concourse please! Thats the worst of it all.

lol... They're there. There is a PD station there, but I rarely see cops in that station. The swippers stay on the other side of Union Square where the entrances are there near Whole Foods. Then you have the Metrocard nuts on in that main entrance that leads to the part of Union Square where the Down with Wall Street folks hang out at, which is only steps away from that PD station. Even when the cops are there they only search bags. Four guys there and you would think they could have two guys be stationed elsewhere in the station... <_<

1) Back when the fare was lower, wages were lower too. And not everybody who can't afford the fare is a deadbeat.

Oh I don't know about that... When the economy was doing well and folks had money to spend, you still had people saying the same thing that they're saying now.

2) Yeah, you used to be able to bend it a certain way and you'd get a free ride out of it. At first, you could bend it and you'd basically have an Unlimited MetroCard. Then they made it so you'd only be able to get one free ride, but it looks like they closed that loophole. (I tried it out of curiosity once. I was on a school trip, so I had a Student MetroCard on me anyway, so I wasn't trying to get an extra free ride or anything).

I think they realized that people were putting videos up on YouTube showing where the spot is, so they figured they better put an end to it.

LOL... Wow so it was all about hitting the spot... :lol:

Not so fast with the fan pass. That ill give these swippers a better chance of continuing. They can buy multiple cards at a cheap cost and continue to do what they do. Use one card, then 15min later the other, and keep going.

They could do that with a regular Unlimited, though.

Oh I don't know about that... When the economy was doing well and folks had money to spend, you still had people saying the same thing that they're saying now.

No matter how well the economy is doing, there are always going to be people who can't afford the fare. There's just more of them now.

They could do that with a regular Unlimited, though.

No matter how well the economy is doing, there are always going to be people who can't afford the fare. There's just more of them now.

They could, but I'm not sure if they would bother buying a 7 Day now, now that it is 60mins.

I mean I would love to see the one day pass back, but chances for its return is a line right now. Maybe what the MTA could do is charge $11 for the one day, and force that pass to up to 2 to 3 Hours between swipes. Any errors with the swiping, consult with the S/A.

They could, but I'm not sure if they would bother buying a 7 Day now, now that it is 60mins.

I mean I would love to see the one day pass back, but chances for its return is a line right now. Maybe what the MTA could do is charge $11 for the one day, and force that pass to up to 2 to 3 Hours between swipes. Any errors with the swiping, consult with the S/A.

2 to 3 hours at one specific station. I don't think 2-3 hours between swipes throughout the system would work well...

2 to 3 hours at one specific station. I don't think 2-3 hours between swipes throughout the system would work well...

Thats what mean at one station. But do realize, that there could be idiot swippers who would go from one station to another. Of course wasting time.

Thats what mean at one station. But do realize, that there could be idiot swippers who would go from one station to another. Of course wasting time.

Well, there is a way to combat that by using surveillance camera, however NYPD need to be more active on this.

I'm curious - is it also illegal to give swipes away for free? Last I remember the PAYG MetroCards were able to swipe up to 4 people behind you at the cost of the ride of course, & unlimited cards of course had the time limite so one can't do that in the same station but I'd think it ought to be OK to give a free swipe when you're leaving the station and don't plan to be in the system anyway for a while. Selling the swipes isn't all that nice IMO. :-|

I'm curious - is it also illegal to give swipes away for free? Last I remember the PAYG MetroCards were able to swipe up to 4 people behind you at the cost of the ride of course, & unlimited cards of course had the time limite so one can't do that in the same station but I'd think it ought to be OK to give a free swipe when you're leaving the station and don't plan to be in the system anyway for a while. Selling the swipes isn't all that nice IMO. :-|

I do that sometimes to SOME folks, if I have an unlimited. (While leaving or letting a friend or family in)

But I think its ok. But selling swipes is not ok.

Even if you give free swipes and stand in the station all day, your still at risk of being called in, since T/A will think your selling, even tho your not.

If you can find a Token Booth clerk around.

This 2-3 hours thing is not going to last long.

If people get have issues and late for work etc, MTA will have to find other ways of fixing this issue.

S/F,

CEYA!

It's amazing how many folks are pissed about the rampid farebeating going on here and outside of this forum and a certain someone continues to make up excuses and downplay the situation on the other site too. He keeps focusing on the cost... Forget about all of that. We're taught as kids that stealing is wrong. These low lives have no form of respect for themselves which is why they walk on and steal rides and that's why so many of us have a problem with it. If they don't have to pay why should anyone else?? It's the sense of entitlement that disgusts me.

It's amazing how many folks are pissed about the rampid farebeating going on here and outside of this forum and a certain someone continues to make up excuses and downplay the situation on the other site too. He keeps focusing on the cost... Forget about all of that. We're taught as kids that stealing is wrong. These low lives have no form of respect for themselves which is why they walk on and steal rides and that's why so many of us have a problem with it. If they don't have to pay why should anyone else?? It's the sense of entitlement that disgusts me.

And what the hell is the point in bringing me into this discussion? I thought you said you were through discussing it ("Oh, I don't want to bring it up, but I'm curious as to why the MTA didn't release the figures"). What a load of BS. <_<

We're taught as kids that stealing is wrong. These low lives have no form of respect for themselves which is why they walk on and steal rides and that's why so many of us have a problem with it. If they don't have to pay why should anyone else?? It's the sense of entitlement that disgusts me.

Sound more like Congress.

S/F,

CEYA!

Archived