SCT Proposals 2012-2013 Thread

The thing is you would end up isolating a whole neighborhood in West Babylon. If the S35 were to be extended to cover that area (and end by say, Belmont & Essex), I'd be more in favor of it.

It would make the S31 a lot more useful, I'll say that much. At least the S25 serves a purpose of getting West Babylon residents to/from Babylon and the GSB Shopping Center. The S31....I mean the 1A already covers North Amityville, and most of the rest of the route is just industrial areas.

I personally think the whole area needs restructuring. I mean, the 1A is a loop, the 1B is a little shuttle, the S25 & S35 loop around different parts of West Babylon, and now even the S20 is a loop. Meanwhile, the real workhorses of the area are the S1 & S33.

With the broken up street grid, I can't really think of much better ways of routing the buses, though. I do see some merit in a proposal Pinepower put out on one of his videos saying the S25 & S35 could be combined into one loop that runs Babylon-GSB-Lindenhurst-Wellwood Avenue-Edison Avenue-Belmont Avenue-Babylon (I would run it in both directions, like the S20). It's still just a bigger loop but at least it accesses more places.

Another alternative is finding a way to send them to Wyandanch to gain more ridership, but flat-out-duplicating the S33 from Five Corners....not too sure about that.

The S35 was cut in the October cuts so it shouldn't be a problem.

(From the NICE Bus Random Thread)

You don't necessarily have to create a new route. To do so, you can modify the S25 in order to provide service. See my modified S25 proposal here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mGjKKTOhknsFvXezjsu0nOI9S5s&usp=sharing

The total runtime would be from 44-47 minutes. Under this plan, 4 NB n72 stops and 4 SB n72 stops will be discontinued (and not served by this proposed S25, with two of the stops being 3-4 blocks from a stop that will be served by the S25. 1 SB stop will be moved up one block, and another across the Street (Platt Avenue). The farthest anyone would have to walk is about 18 minutes or 0.8 mile (that's if they need RT 109 & East Drive). A lot more stops are missed on the S25, but compared to the n72, there are less riders. 

They can run the bus every hour, have a 90 minute headway in between for the lunch break. It preserves bus service in West Babylon, and to Farmingdale, and riders in West Babylon have more transfer opportunities (and more direct ones). The downsides are that overall, Farmingdale to Babylon is still going to be more indirect, and that 2 buses are needed for the headway I described above. Regardless, it would be more efficient than starting a new route while still keeping the S25 intact (the S25 doesn't get many riders in the first place).

You could even make the route go to Newsday (which would add 5-6 minutes) to cover the portion cut on the n70 using the same amount of resources (although the 2B already goes in the same general area).

You got around the existing route with using the S25. Though still different then the S20, as now you are talking about moving the end point of the route which is still different than the S20.  This time you are going to need the passenger count to keep the cost per ride low. Based on the October cuts the Cost Per Ride limit is $14.01 which the S25 currently seems to have. By extended it for an unknown amount of ridership you risk that going up. If it does go up than you would defiantly need the money, and if you don't then you risk losing the route. 

Like I said you need the budget in order to pick up any service NICE will cut in Suffolk and as it stands it is unknown if its there. 

I'd do something rather different (not that your idea is bad or anything, just a different viewpoint):

I'd restructure the S31.... Start it from Newsday.... Then run it to the college.... Then run it to LIRR Farmingdale....

Then run it down to Conklin, where it would take on the n72 routing towards LIRR Babylon from there

The S31 is one bad budget away from being eliminated. You would need the passenger count decent enough to lower the cost per ride below $14.01. 

Edited by mac5689

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You got around the existing route with using the S25. Though still different then the S20, as now you are talking about moving the end point of the route which is still different than the S20.  This time you are going to need the passenger count to keep the cost per ride low. Based on the October cuts the Cost Per Ride limit is $14.01 which the S25 currently seems to have. By extended it for an unknown amount of ridership you risk that going up. If it does go up than you would defiantly need the money, and if you don't then you risk losing the route. 

Like I said you need the budget in order to pick up any service NICE will cut in Suffolk and as it stands it is unknown if its there. 

The S31 is one bad budget away from being eliminated. You would need the passenger count decent enough to lower the cost per ride below $14.01.

The S31 should've been eliminated last October, it only two runs.

The S31 should've been eliminated last October, it only two runs.

The routes that were cut had higher cost per run, based on older data I saw, then the $14.01 the S31 and others have. Had the October Cuts needed to be deeper the S31 would have been cut. 

It would make the S31 a lot more useful, I'll say that much. At least the S25 serves a purpose of getting West Babylon residents to/from Babylon and the GSB Shopping Center. The S31....I mean the 1A already covers North Amityville, and most of the rest of the route is just industrial areas.

I personally think the whole area needs restructuring. I mean, the 1A is a loop, the 1B is a little shuttle, the S25 & S35 loop around different parts of West Babylon, and now even the S20 is a loop. Meanwhile, the real workhorses of the area are the S1 & S33.

With the broken up street grid, I can't really think of much better ways of routing the buses, though. I do see some merit in a proposal Pinepower put out on one of his videos saying the S25 & S35 could be combined into one loop that runs Babylon-GSB-Lindenhurst-Wellwood Avenue-Edison Avenue-Belmont Avenue-Babylon (I would run it in both directions, like the S20). It's still just a bigger loop but at least it accesses more places.

Another alternative is finding a way to send them to Wyandanch to gain more ridership, but flat-out-duplicating the S33 from Five Corners....not too sure about that.

To this day, I still say the MTA made a mistake axing the N95... You have an area like Farmingdale that I believe has always been underrated (even before the revitalization), yet a severely overrated area like Hicksville gets as many BPH as it does.... Go figure.

SCT won't do it, and it doesn't necessarily have to be w/ the S31, but something should be running between LIRR Farmingdale & to (at least) LIRR Babylon via SUNY Farmingdale.... Using my suggestion of the S31, you could even push the envelope with said route by cutting the S42 back to Bay Shore (& run that over to Ronkonkoma in the process) & extending such a route to Bay Shore...

In laymens:

S31: Melville (Newsday) - Bay Shore

(via SUNY Farmingdale, via LIRR Farmingdale, via current n72 to Babylon, via current S42 to Mechanicville rd)

S42: Bay Shore - Ronkonkoma

(current routing from Mechanicville rd to LIRR Central Islip, then extended eastward via Suffolk av, Vets hwy, Lakeland, via the S57 routing to LIRR Ronkonkoma)

The notorious S1 is a monopoly (lol) in Western Suffolk, but it still has a flaw - it never serves the main line..... It's the main reason it has as much ridership as it even does south of rt 109; a very high percentage of riders from Amityville are coming off the RR - and they are riding to Farmingdale at minimum.... What's underrated/never really spoken about, are the amt. of ppl taking the S1 out of Melville from those business parks or w/e (Whitman Mall isn't much more than an xfer point these days & it always wasn't like that; I abhor these simonized malls, but that's another topic)..... Basically what I'm getting at is, a lot of SW Suffolk (specifically, b/w Sunrise & LIRR Babylon [not inclusive]) are dead draws - and the ridership of those routes speaks for it.....

I happen to agree that there needs to be a reorganization; the routes down there (generally speaking) exist within a network of themselves, instead of being incorporated much with the rest of the county-wide network.... Don't know how else to say this, but I'll use an analogy - There needs to be less 1a's (the 1b got canned back in October btw), less S31's, less S25's, less S20's (which IMO is a shell of its former self), and more S27's & S33's... Routes that significantly branch the f*** away from that general pocket of the county.... A good example of what I'm talking about, is the bus network down there @ Mechanicville.... Being perfectly honest, I'm not exactly sure how one can go about doing that though.....

The 1b was a little shuttle; it's one of the routes they got rid of back in October...

I remember BM5 had an old idea that involved running the S25 up straight path to LIRR Wyandanch, where it would take over the S23 routing to Whitman (in short, the S23 would have been axed)... While having both the S23 & S29 run b/w Babylon & Whitman mall is beneficial for the riders that do that (and there's quite a bit of them), for the sake of the overall network, I would leave the S23 alone & have the S29 run east along rt. 25 - whether it should end inside Huntington square or Commack plz. is debatable.... Either way, that one move would make it easier to getting to/from a major generator/mall like Smith Haven from SW Suffolk.... Currently, you got people taking S23/29's to Whitman, for the S54, for the S58 (the 56 is there also at Commack plz, but it's a bit of an afterthought)..... The S27 to the 3D is actually less common - even though that's a 2 seat ride instead of a 3.... Anyway, although I'm unsure right now as to what should be done w/ the S25 short of leaving it alone, but I know running it up to Whitman to can the S23, aint it....

The S33 is a perfect example of why I favor modified grid routes... Deer Park Tanger & the Wyandanch revitalization plan/project is only going to help that route... It's already the more sought after route at Sunrise over the S20 (with good reason)...

ah, there's something else I wanted to say (regarding SW Suffolk), but can't think of it right now.... Damn....

The thing is you would end up isolating a whole neighborhood in West Babylon. If the S35 were to be extended to cover that area (and end by say, Belmont & Essex), I'd be more in favor of it.

Some portions of West Babylon (north of the Southern State) still have access to the S33. The areas closer to Belmont Avenue (and closest to the Southern State) would be more out of luck. At least along after a certain point, one can catch the 2B).

If you want to maintain service in the area, you could reroute the S23 so that it serves the area. It could go up Deer Park Avenue like it does, but turn at Sylvian Road, then right on Belmont, left on Essex Street (which turns into Mt Avenue), then right on Straight Path, and left on Nicolls Road (and then back to regular route). 

I'd do something rather different (not that your idea is bad or anything, just a different viewpoint):

I'd restructure the S31.... Start it from Newsday.... Then run it to the college.... Then run it to LIRR Farmingdale....

Then run it down to Conklin, where it would take on the n72 routing towards LIRR Babylon from there

That's an interesting concept. If I replied earlier, I would have asked if the n95 elimination contributed towards the routing you had in mind, but that has been more or less answered by your other post.

Well, the n72 ridership from Babylon to Farmingdale can and does carry during certain parts of the day. Some riders do ride within Suffolk County, so you would see those people use the bus. Additionally, most of the riders connecting to S1's or n72's would ride it. So there would be a greater farebox recovery compared to the S25 (not to mention, in the case towards SUNY Farmingdale, unless a rider is using a transfer, SCT gets to keep the fare, even if they transfer to the S1). However, the amount that would be subsidized would most likely be greater than the current set up because 1 extra bus is being used, so there's that. However, that 1 bus can be taken from another route (see my reply below).

To this day, I still say the MTA made a mistake axing the N95... You have an area like Farmingdale that I believe has always been underrated (even before the revitalization), yet a severely overrated area like Hicksville gets as many BPH as it does.... Go figure.

SCT won't do it, and it doesn't necessarily have to be w/ the S31, but something should be running between LIRR Farmingdale & to (at least) LIRR Babylon via SUNY Farmingdale.... Using my suggestion of the S31, you could even push the envelope with said route by cutting the S42 back to Bay Shore (& run that over to Ronkonkoma in the process) & extending such a route to Bay Shore...

In laymens:

(via SUNY Farmingdale, via LIRR Farmingdale, via current n72 to Babylon, via current S42 to Mechanicville rd)

(current routing from Mechanicville rd to LIRR Central Islip, then extended eastward via Suffolk av, Vets hwy, Lakeland, via the S57 routing to LIRR Ronkonkoma)

The notorious S1 is a monopoly (lol) in Western Suffolk, but it still has a flaw - it never serves the main line..... It's the main reason it has as much ridership as it even does south of rt 109; a very high percentage of riders from Amityville are coming off the RR - and they are riding to Farmingdale at minimum.... What's underrated/never really spoken about, are the amt. of ppl taking the S1 out of Melville from those business parks or w/e (Whitman Mall isn't much more than an xfer point these days & it always wasn't like that; I abhor these simonized malls, but that's another topic)..... Basically what I'm getting at is, a lot of SW Suffolk (specifically, b/w Sunrise & LIRR Babylon [not inclusive]) are dead draws - and the ridership of those routes speaks for it.....

I happen to agree that there needs to be a reorganization; the routes down there (generally speaking) exist within a network of themselves, instead of being incorporated much with the rest of the county-wide network.... Don't know how else to say this, but I'll use an analogy - There needs to be less 1a's (the 1b got canned back in October btw), less S31's, less S25's, less S20's (which IMO is a shell of its former self), and more S27's & S33's... Routes that significantly branch the f*** away from that general pocket of the county.... A good example of what I'm talking about, is the bus network down there @ Mechanicville.... Being perfectly honest, I'm not exactly sure how one can go about doing that though.....

The 1b was a little shuttle; it's one of the routes they got rid of back in October...

I remember BM5 had an old idea that involved running the S25 up straight path to LIRR Wyandanch, where it would take over the S23 routing to Whitman (in short, the S23 would have been axed)... While having both the S23 & S29 run b/w Babylon & Whitman mall is beneficial for the riders that do that (and there's quite a bit of them), for the sake of the overall network, I would leave the S23 alone & have the S29 run east along rt. 25 - whether it should end inside Huntington square or Commack plz. is debatable.... Either way, that one move would make it easier to getting to/from a major generator/mall like Smith Haven from SW Suffolk.... Currently, you got people taking S23/29's to Whitman, for the S54, for the S58 (the 56 is there also at Commack plz, but it's a bit of an afterthought)..... The S27 to the 3D is actually less common - even though that's a 2 seat ride instead of a 3.... Anyway, although I'm unsure right now as to what should be done w/ the S25 short of leaving it alone, but I know running it up to Whitman to can the S23, aint it....

The S33 is a perfect example of why I favor modified grid routes... Deer Park Tanger & the Wyandanch revitalization plan/project is only going to help that route... It's already the more sought after route at Sunrise over the S20 (with good reason)...

ah, there's something else I wanted to say (regarding SW Suffolk), but can't think of it right now.... Damn....

Many are using Hicksville as a transfer point, so it makes me wonder if some of those LI Bus routes under NICE (when they first came in) should have been through routes instead of terminating in Hicksville. 

For the S1, perhaps if/when they open a Republic Airport station, that issue would be rectified. But that's still a long time from now.

I like the S31/42 proposed (in that way you described above) because it is extremely difficult to get to Ronkonkoma if it isn't by going North to South. The E-W routes coming from the west (3D, S54) do not directly serve Ronkonkoma LIRR. From there, IDK if I would push a little more and have it replace the S57 to MacArthur, but I would consider that too. However, that would push the runtime past 60 minutes (it would take about 55 minutes from Bay Shore to Ronkonkoma LIRR). 

For the S25 proposal I had, it was based on an old proposal from the SCT study. 2 buses would have been used instead of 3 on the current setup, but that bus would have gone to some other route). 

As far as the SW Suffolk bus system goes, I wouldn't know what to do either, but I would just eliminate those routes that lack ridership if they are left as they currently are (1A, S31, probably the S25). 

In laymens:

I remember we were having a discussion about why the S42 serves South Shore Mall (when it's already served by all the 2- and 3-series shuttles). I recall the reason being that the LIRR Montauk Branch isn't that frequent (and there's only so much the S40 can do), so it's not as simple as having riders hop on a train to Bay Shore and catch a 2A/2B bus to South Shore Mall.

I wow, I didn't even realize that. I remember a lot of people were making a big deal about the routes in the eastern part of the county (S71 & S90. The 10D/E I remember only being referred to in terms of combining them with the S90 to boost overall ridership. So yeah, looking at the map, I see the 1B was eliminated, and the S35 was eliminated. Anything else I'm missing?

Some portions of West Babylon (north of the Southern State) still have access to the S33. The areas closer to Belmont Avenue (and closest to the Southern State) would be more out of luck. At least along after a certain point, one can catch the 2B).

If you want to maintain service in the area, you could reroute the S23 so that it serves the area. It could go up Deer Park Avenue like it does, but turn at Sylvian Road, then right on Belmont, left on Essex Street (which turns into Mt Avenue), then right on Straight Path, and left on Nicolls Road (and then back to regular route). 

As far as the SW Suffolk bus system goes, I wouldn't know what to do either, but I would just eliminate those routes that lack ridership if they are left as they currently are (1A, S31, probably the S25). 

Come to think about it, I like the general idea, but I would rather serve that area with the 2B. Let the S23/33 focus on serving Grand Blvd (and keep the S23 along Deer Park Avenue as long as possible) and let the 2B serve its role as a neighborhood feeder route so to speak. Take Woods Road-Prairie Drive-Belmont Avenue-Essex Street and make its way to Five Corners that way.

I think something should cover the area around Route 109 & Sunrise Highway (that 18 minute gap you mentioned). Maybe have the S20 continue up Wellwood-Sunrise-109-Arnold (or maybe Wellwood-Newark-North Monroe-Sunrise-109-Arnold to attempt to cover some of the passengers along John Street. Or just extend one of the Babylon routes west). IIRC, the SCT study a few years ago recommended a route running along much of Sunrise Highway.

That area by the 1A in North Amityville does need some kind of coverage. Bouncing some ideas off the wall, how about this:

S25: Babylon-Amityville via Belmont-Claremont-Herzel-Route 109-New Highway-Albany Avenue

S31: Newsday-Babylon via Farmingdale State College, Farmingdale LIRR, Conklin, Great Neck Road, Sunrise Highway, Route 109, Park Avenue (It can still serve that industrial area by Allen Blvd if it's needed). 

I know the Babylon-Amityville market would end up being served by the LIRR, S20 (both loops), and S25, but at least North Amityville would have some service heading east instead of just to Amityville.

Or the cheapskate version would be to just have the S31 run Newsday-Babylon like you described, but then dip down Great Neck Road & Albany Avenue to serve North Amityville. (I would still modify the S20 around North Lindenhurst in that case, since I really don't like the gap around Sunrise & 109.

(In the meantime, the 2B would still be covering that whole Belmont Lake area). Residents would lose their direct connection to Babylon & GSB, but at the same time, gain connections to Bay Shore/South Shore Mall, Wyandanch (even though residents of that area generally tend to dissociate themselves from Wyandanch), and Farmingdale State College. If they need Babylon itself (i.e. Not just the connection to the S40, S42, etc), they can take the 2B to the S23/29. 

Interesting fact, they may lack ridership but the 1A and S25 cost less then $14.01 to operate. 

I like the S31/42 proposed (in that way you described above) because it is extremely difficult to get to Ronkonkoma if it isn't by going North to South. The E-W routes coming from the west (3D, S54) do not directly serve Ronkonkoma LIRR. From there, IDK if I would push a little more and have it replace the S57 to MacArthur, but I would consider that too. However, that would push the runtime past 60 minutes (it would take about 55 minutes from Bay Shore to Ronkonkoma LIRR).

If the S42 were to be routed through the Colony Park Apartments (and continue down Peconic Street to the LIRR station at Ronkonkoma), you could take the S57 out of there, and then it would just have the diversion to the airport (Well that, and the Lake Ronkonkoma diversion). 

Interesting fact, they may lack ridership but the 1A and S25 cost less then $14.01 to operate. 

...per passenger.

And there's other things to consider besides cost per passenger....such as coverage and connectivity.

...per passenger.

And there's other things to consider besides cost per passenger....such as coverage and connectivity.

It just said "Cost per ride" so I would assume that they mean each trip. No matter if passengers are on board or not.

The System average cost per ride seems to be $7.73. 

However any cuts are based on the "Cost per Ride" as the DPW has shown with the October cuts. 

Edited by mac5689

1) I wow, I didn't even realize that. I remember a lot of people were making a big deal about the routes in the eastern part of the county (S71 & S90. The 10D/E I remember only being referred to in terms of combining them with the S90 to boost overall ridership. So yeah, looking at the map, I see the 1B was eliminated, and the S35 was eliminated. Anything else I'm missing?

2) Come to think about it, I like the general idea, but I would rather serve that area with the 2B. Let the S23/33 focus on serving Grand Blvd (and keep the S23 along Deer Park Avenue as long as possible) and let the 2B serve its role as a neighborhood feeder route so to speak. Take Woods Road-Prairie Drive-Belmont Avenue-Essex Street and make its way to Five Corners that way.

3) I think something should cover the area around Route 109 & Sunrise Highway (that 18 minute gap you mentioned). Maybe have the S20 continue up Wellwood-Sunrise-109-Arnold (or maybe Wellwood-Newark-North Monroe-Sunrise-109-Arnold to attempt to cover some of the passengers along John Street. Or just extend one of the Babylon routes west). IIRC, the SCT study a few years ago recommended a route running along much of Sunrise Highway.

That area by the 1A in North Amityville does need some kind of coverage. Bouncing some ideas off the wall, how about this:

S25: Babylon-Amityville via Belmont-Claremont-Herzel-Route 109-New Highway-Albany Avenue

S31: Newsday-Babylon via Farmingdale State College, Farmingdale LIRR, Conklin, Great Neck Road, Sunrise Highway, Route 109, Park Avenue (It can still serve that industrial area by Allen Blvd if it's needed). 

I know the Babylon-Amityville market would end up being served by the LIRR, S20 (both loops), and S25, but at least North Amityville would have some service heading east instead of just to Amityville.

Or the cheapskate version would be to just have the S31 run Newsday-Babylon like you described, but then dip down Great Neck Road & Albany Avenue to serve North Amityville. (I would still modify the S20 around North Lindenhurst in that case, since I really don't like the gap around Sunrise & 109.

(In the meantime, the 2B would still be covering that whole Belmont Lake area). Residents would lose their direct connection to Babylon & GSB, but at the same time, gain connections to Bay Shore/South Shore Mall, Wyandanch (even though residents of that area generally tend to dissociate themselves from Wyandanch), and Farmingdale State College. If they need Babylon itself (i.e. Not just the connection to the S40, S42, etc), they can take the 2B to the S23/29. 

1) The other routes eliminated (besides those and the S90, S71, 10D/E) were the 10A, 5A, 7D, and 7E

2) Okay, so the 2B can serve it. I have no problem routing the route, the thing is that the scheduled runtime is 55 minutes as it is, so diverting would throw off the 60 minute headway. You could have it run every 70 minutes or something. That would throw off any transferring though, so perhaps the route can be extended in order to maximize the use of adding 1 extra bus to the schedule.

The route could go on and serve Farmingdale LIRR, via Mellville Road. It wouldn't be exactly like the N95, but it closely resembles it. This way, you also wouldn't need to have the S31 (B35's proposal) diverting to SUNY Farmingdale. It can run from Farmingale LIRR to Babylon (or to Bay Shore by cutting the S42 back to Bay Shore (which I will talk about later on). 

Also, Essex Street is not a continuous street there, so it would have to take Essex > Mt Avenue > Columbia Avenue > Brooklyn Avenue > Centerwood Street > Larmont Place > Essex Street just to get back (I know, this sounds hella ridiculous).

3) I think bus riders in Amityville would favor the S20 anyways, because it more frequent than an S25 to Babylon via West Babylon, so I don't see this a such a problem. With an S25 to Amityville, as long as there's a bus to Farmingdale in the same neighborhoods, that's fine. I don't like the gap either, but I was basing the proposal using existing resources.

If the S42 were to be routed through the Colony Park Apartments (and continue down Peconic Street to the LIRR station at Ronkonkoma), you could take the S57 out of there, and then it would just have the diversion to the airport (Well that, and the Lake Ronkonkoma diversion). 

You could do that as well, and although it would add more time over Johnson, that can be rectified by having the S42 terminate at Bay Shore LIRR instead of Mechanicsville Road. All the transfers would be kept (save the S40). You could have the S31 from Babylon serve the LIRR Station first, then Mechanicsville Road, in order to have an alternative to the S40.

That would shave 8 minutes off the S57 schedule more or less. You can't really do much with the S57 at that point. However, to increase connectivity, you could extend the S57 to St. James LIRR via Moriches Road, Woodlawn Avenue, and Lake Avenue. You would also need to get rid of the deviation to Hans Boulevard, and Waterfalls, and give it to the S59. The S59 would be streamlined in Sayville and Holbrook in order not have to use additional buses. Although I believe the Hans Boulevard deviation may not be important, I'm not entirely sure about the Waterfalls deviation. What's rather ironic is that Waterfalls is a gated community (so that's a first, if there are people who use the bus from there).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that I'm talking about deviations, is there a reason why the 2A makes all those turns to & from Nichols Road? If one is going to Babylon, they have the options of the S29 already (and from areas around Tanger Outlet, the S27). Furthermore, the S27 makes those same connections as the 2A from Tanger Outlets to Wyandanch LIRR at the same locations. I would rather have the 2A go straight across Nichols Road (most connections will be maintained, but will be at different points in some cases). 

Using the proposed S25 from above, you could use the resources to extend the 2A from Wyandanch to Amityville (service to Wheatley Heights Shopping Center would be eliminated). It would essentially run on Straight Path, then Little East Neck Road to Herzel, and then that routing to Amityville. That way you don't have so much Amityville - Babylon buses. You serve Deer Park, and the Tanger Outlets.

It just said "Cost per ride" so I would assume that they mean each trip. No matter if passengers are on board or not.

However any cuts are based on the "Cost per Ride" as the DPW has shown with the October cuts. 

Well, that's not usually a good thing to base cuts on. As a result, several routes were gone in the entirety, and now have no bus service at all. Mainly, those routes were on the east end, and it is not so easy as just walking to the LIRR and catching the train.

They could have maintained some service in some areas for coverage, but others have no alternative. The only routes I would have kept were the S71 and S90 (and maybe the 10A). I would have eliminated the S31, 1A, S68 (and modify the 7B), and the S76, in order to keep those service alive. If it still wasn't enough, I would have truncated the 2A at Tanger Outlets in the north, and at Mechanicsville Road in the south (and time it with the 3A at Gardiner Manor Plaza for riders going to South Shore Mall).

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

Now that I'm talking about deviations, is there a reason why the 2A makes all those turns to & from Nichols Road? If one is going to Babylon, they have the options of the S29 already (and from areas around Tanger Outlet, the S27). Furthermore, the S27 makes those same connections as the 2A from Tanger Outlets to Wyandanch LIRR at the same locations. I would rather have the 2A go straight across Nichols Road (most connections will be maintained, but will be at different points in some cases).

Yep, with good reason.... The turns (in no order) are to serve LIRR Wyandanch, the schools (plural) in Deer Park, the P.O, and commercial deer park (rd) & commack (rd)..... Having the 2a run straight along Nicolls (after serving LIRR Wyandanch, that is) b/w Straight Path & Commack screws too many people... It saves runtime to benefit much less people....

OTOH...

2b or not 2b... That, is the question!

All the transit systems I've seen offering those types of report refer to the cost per physical person boarding the bus (the total cost, divided by the ridership) I mean, $14.01 per ride. You're telling me that paying a B/O to drive a bus for an hour on a route like the S25 is only going to cost $14.01? Heck, have an S1 driver do a trip and you're already over an hour. You're saying those B/Os make like $12 per hour or something, and gas and maintenance are free?  

1) The other routes eliminated (besides those and the S90, S71, 10D/E) were the 10A, 5A, 7D, and 7E

2) Okay, so the 2B can serve it. I have no problem routing the route, the thing is that the scheduled runtime is 55 minutes as it is, so diverting would throw off the 60 minute headway. You could have it run every 70 minutes or something. That would throw off any transferring though, so perhaps the route can be extended in order to maximize the use of adding 1 extra bus to the schedule.

The route could go on and serve Farmingdale LIRR, via Mellville Road. It wouldn't be exactly like the N95, but it closely resembles it. This way, you also wouldn't need to have the S31 (B35's proposal) diverting to SUNY Farmingdale. It can run from Farmingale LIRR to Babylon (or to Bay Shore by cutting the S42 back to Bay Shore (which I will talk about later on). 

Also, Essex Street is not a continuous street there, so it would have to take Essex > Mt Avenue > Columbia Avenue > Brooklyn Avenue > Centerwood Street > Larmont Place > Essex Street just to get back (I know, this sounds hella ridiculous).

3) I think bus riders in Amityville would favor the S20 anyways, because it more frequent than an S25 to Babylon via West Babylon, so I don't see this a such a problem. With an S25 to Amityville, as long as there's a bus to Farmingdale in the same neighborhoods, that's fine. I don't like the gap either, but I was basing the proposal using existing resources.

You could do that as well, and although it would add more time over Johnson, that can be rectified by having the S42 terminate at Bay Shore LIRR instead of Mechanicsville Road. All the transfers would be kept (save the S40). You could have the S31 from Babylon serve the LIRR Station first, then Mechanicsville Road, in order to have an alternative to the S40.

That would shave 8 minutes off the S57 schedule more or less. You can't really do much with the S57 at that point. However, to increase connectivity, you could extend the S57 to St. James LIRR via Moriches Road, Woodlawn Avenue, and Lake Avenue. You would also need to get rid of the deviation to Hans Boulevard, and Waterfalls, and give it to the S59. The S59 would be streamlined in Sayville and Holbrook in order not have to use additional buses. Although I believe the Hans Boulevard deviation may not be important, I'm not entirely sure about the Waterfalls deviation. What's rather ironic is that Waterfalls is a gated community (so that's a first, if there are people who use the bus from there).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using the proposed S25 from above, you could use the resources to extend the 2A from Wyandanch to Amityville (service to Wheatley Heights Shopping Center would be eliminated). It would essentially run on Straight Path, then Little East Neck Road to Herzel, and then that routing to Amityville. That way you don't have so much Amityville - Babylon buses. You serve Deer Park, and the Tanger Outlets.

Well, that's not usually a good thing to base cuts on. As a result, several routes were gone in the entirety, and now have no bus service at all. Mainly, those routes were on the east end, and it is not so easy as just walking to the LIRR and catching the train.

They could have maintained some service in some areas for coverage, but others have no alternative. The only routes I would have kept were the S71 and S90 (and maybe the 10A). I would have eliminated the S31, 1A, S68 (and modify the 7B), and the S76, in order to keep those service alive. If it still wasn't enough, I would have truncated the 2A at Tanger Outlets in the north, and at Mechanicsville Road in the south (and time it with the 3A at Gardiner Manor Plaza for riders going to South Shore Mall).

1) OK, thanks that refreshed my memory.

2) That sounds like a good idea. And as a bonus, riders in Wheatley Heights get access to the LIRR at Farmingdale (which offers some more service than Wyandanch, at least until that Ronkonkoma Branch double track project is complete)

And yeah, I know there's a bunch of residential streets the S25 serves by Belmont Lakes. You get my point....

B35 made a proposal a while back that I liked that basically entailed restructuring the S45 & 3C. (Basically, the S45 would run straight up Washington Avenue to provide a more direct route to Hauppauge, and the 3C would be split into separate routes serving Connoquot Avenue & Carleton Avenue). The only disadvantage is that Central Islip loses a route along Suffolk Avenue. To maintain that service, either the 6A or 7A could be extended to run down Johnson/Suffolk to provide 30 minute service along that corridor.

Of course, you could make the point that there's other corridors that don't have 30 minute service and do fine (and Johnson isn't in too much need of a route), but food for thought....

If the 2A were extended to Amityville, I would have it take Straight Path to 109 (or Straight Path-Herzel-109, whatever...). No point in having two buses down Herzel, but one down Straight Path. It would help the S33 by being a fairly direct alternative between Wyandanch/Tanger and Amityville (obviously the S33 would still be straighter overall)

No, "cost per ride" reflects the total cost per passenger carried (because passengers are the ones riding the bus).

You're thinking of a "cost per trip" statistic, which is usually divided into cost per revenue mile and cost per revenue hour for reporting purposes.

Edited by Gotham Bus Co.

2) That sounds like a good idea. And as a bonus, riders in Wheatley Heights get access to the LIRR at Farmingdale (which offers some more service than Wyandanch, at least until that Ronkonkoma Branch double track project is complete)

And yeah, I know there's a bunch of residential streets the S25 serves by Belmont Lakes. You get my point....

B35 made a proposal a while back that I liked that basically entailed restructuring the S45 & 3C. (Basically, the S45 would run straight up Washington Avenue to provide a more direct route to Hauppauge, and the 3C would be split into separate routes serving Connoquot Avenue & Carleton Avenue). The only disadvantage is that Central Islip loses a route along Suffolk Avenue. To maintain that service, either the 6A or 7A could be extended to run down Johnson/Suffolk to provide 30 minute service along that corridor.

Of course, you could make the point that there's other corridors that don't have 30 minute service and do fine (and Johnson isn't in too much need of a route), but food for thought....

If the 2A were extended to Amityville, I would have it take Straight Path to 109 (or Straight Path-Herzel-109, whatever...). No point in having two buses down Herzel, but one down Straight Path. It would help the S33 by being a fairly direct alternative between Wyandanch/Tanger and Amityville (obviously the S33 would still be straighter overall)

As far as the S45/3C Proposal goes, Suffolk Avenue is still covered by the 3D, so riders can go to Brentwood to transfer to the S45. Additionally, you could have the route serving Carleton Avenue could be sent to the County Offices at Hauppauge, to connect for the S45. That is, if the issue is having a connection with the S45. 

The 2A would be the only one running down Herzel, since the Amityville-Babylon service via Albany and Herzel was consolidated with the 2A. One bus from the 1A, plus the bus from the current S25, in addition to the two buses on 2A, would be used for this extended route. So there would not be both my proposed S25 and 2A going to Amityville along the same route. You could route it down Straight Path, but for coverage, I would keep it on Little East Neck Road to Herzel. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

As far as the S45/3C Proposal goes, Suffolk Avenue is still covered by the 3D, so riders can go to Brentwood to transfer to the S45. Additionally, you could have the route serving Carleton Avenue could be sent to the County Offices at Hauppauge, to connect for the S45. That is, if the issue is having a connection with the S45. 

The 2A would be the only one running down Herzel, since the Amityville-Babylon service via Albany and Herzel was consolidated with the 2A. One bus from the 1A, plus the bus from the current S25, in addition to the two buses on 2A, would be used for this extended route. So there would not be both my proposed S25 and 2A going to Amityville along the same route. You could route it down Straight Path, but for coverage, I would keep it on Little East Neck Road to Herzel. 

I was just talking frequency-wise. The S45 generally runs every 30-45 minutes for most of the day on weekdays, and 45-60 minutes for most of the day weekends, compared to the 3D which runs once an hour for the whole day (the S45 also runs later than the 3D).

On a side note, I was looking at the S27 schedule and didn't realize buses basically run a one-way loop around Hauppauge without laying over.

And doesn't your S25 use Herzel to get between West Babylon and the n72 route on Route 109? That's what I'm referring to.

I was just talking frequency-wise. The S45 generally runs every 30-45 minutes for most of the day on weekdays, and 45-60 minutes for most of the day weekends, compared to the 3D which runs once an hour for the whole day (the S45 also runs later than the 3D).

All the transit systems I've seen offering those types of report refer to the cost per physical person boarding the bus (the total cost, divided by the ridership) I mean, $14.01 per ride. You're telling me that paying a B/O to drive a bus for an hour on a route like the S25 is only going to cost $14.01? Heck, have an S1 driver do a trip and you're already over an hour. You're saying those B/Os make like $12 per hour or something, and gas and maintenance are free?  

The head of the DPW didn't explain how they got the 'Cost per Ride' in the memo that I saw, though what you said would add up to the passenger per ride total for the S71 in 2012. 

Driver pay at one company is most likely north of $14.01. Or at least their advertised starting pay is between $18.00 to $26.00. 

If I didn't back then, then that's my fault... As vocal as I was about the 3D, I'm surprised I never mentioned it - The plan was to always increase 3D service (with the additional service only running b/w Smith Haven & LIRR Brentwood)... In other words, the Brentwood-Smith Haven portion would have 30 min service, and north of Smith Haven would see regular hourly service.... I wouldn't bother extending the 6a or the 7a westward; I see them as being non-starters past Ronkonkoma....

No, "cost per ride" reflects the total cost per passenger carried (because passengers are the ones riding the bus).

You're thinking of a "cost per trip" statistic, which is usually divided into cost per revenue mile and cost per revenue hour for reporting purposes.

Yeah, cost per ride & cost per rider are two very different things....

If Suffolk County is willing to operate routes to where riders get no less than a 16% value (2.25/14.01, times 100) of the base fare per ride, well more power to them.....

My 3C proposal is the Connetquot split & the 3E proposal is the Carleton split....

Not for that reason you give, but I already had the "3E" running to the county offices in Hauppauge....

I wouldn't end a route in Islandia (which is as far north that the real 3C goes) at all, if that's what you were thinking....

On a side note, I was looking at the S27 schedule and didn't realize buses basically run a one-way loop around Hauppauge without laying over.

* If you're inquiring or implicating that buses are doing Babylon - Hauppauge - Babylon (like, akin to that of what the infamous M60 does), then that's not the case....

* If not, then (taking the separate statements) by themselves, yes buses run a one way loop to serve the county offices & yes, buses don't layover at Wheeler/Rabro....

At the same time, Wheeler/Rabro is an actual terminal though (it's the last NB stop of the S27).....

The first stop of a Babylon bound bus is up there at the north bldg/north complex....

The question I have is, where the heck do those buses DH to (after serving Wheeler/Rabro).....

If I didn't back then, then that's my fault... As vocal as I was about the 3D, I'm surprised I never mentioned it - The plan was to always increase 3D service (with the additional service only running b/w Smith Haven & LIRR Brentwood)... In other words, the Brentwood-Smith Haven portion would have 30 min service, and north of Smith Haven would see regular hourly service.... I wouldn't bother extending the 6a or the 7a westward; I see them as being non-starters past Ronkonkoma....

Yeah, cost per ride & cost per rider are two very different things....

If Suffolk County is willing to operate routes to where riders get no less than a 16% value (2.25/14.01, times 100) of the base fare per ride, well more power to them.....

My 3C proposal is the Connetquot split & the 3E proposal is the Carleton split....

Not for that reason you give, but I already had the "3E" running to the county offices in Hauppauge....

I wouldn't end a route in Islandia (which is as far north that the real 3C goes) at all, if that's what you were thinking....

* If you're inquiring or implicating that buses are doing Babylon - Hauppauge - Babylon (like, akin to that of what the infamous M60 does), then that's not the case....

* If not, then (taking the separate statements) by themselves, yes buses run a one way loop to serve the county offices & yes, buses don't layover at Wheeler/Rabro....

At the same time, Wheeler/Rabro is an actual terminal though (it's the last NB stop of the S27).....

The first stop of a Babylon bound bus is up there at the north bldg/north complex....

The question I have is, where the heck do those buses DH to (after serving Wheeler/Rabro).....

Gotchu on the 3D proposal (looking back, I also see you would have some S42s via Johnson and some via the Colony Park Apartments). Here's your proposal for quick reference.

The thing that made me believe that is that looking at the schedule, the first full-length northbound bus that goes all the way to Hauppauge arrives at the North County Complex at 8AM, and Rabro/111 at 8:10AM. Meanwhile, the first southbound bus leaves the North County Complex at 8AM and Rabro/111 at 8:10AM. And this pattern repeats throughout the day and on weekends (and for that matter, with the first two Babylon-Deer Park trips on weekdays).

The only thing I can think of is that the bus deadheads back to the North County Complex to layover and start the next trip. But FWIW, when I went out to Brentwood, I caught the S27 that was supposed to arrive at 5:30PM and instead arrived at 5:53PM (I remember it came just after a 3B that arrived on time). Being around 20 minutes late near the beginning of the route on a Saturday is something that would be consistent with either not having enough layover time, or really tight runtimes

On a side note, the S20 that I connected with also came around 6:50PM, which was about 15 minutes late. He skipped the GSB shopping plaza to make up time, thinking that "the last bus of a day skips all the malls" (since he ended at Amityville instead of Sunrise Mall). He was actually supposed to stop there, but at least the n19 still had one more trip after him, so hopefully he didn't leave anybody stranded)

Edited by checkmatechamp13

The thing that made me believe that is that looking at the schedule, the first full-length northbound bus that goes all the way to Hauppauge arrives at the North County Complex at 8AM, and Rabro/111 at 8:10AM. Meanwhile, the first southbound bus leaves the North County Complex at 8AM and Rabro/111 at 8:10AM. And this pattern repeats throughout the day and on weekends (and for that matter, with the first two Babylon-Deer Park trips on weekdays).

I'd believe it is like a loop and that the last two stops northbound are at the same time the first two for the sounthbound run. The S76 is written similar, where the time for the first stop heading back to Port Jefferson is the same time as when the bus gets into Stony Brook from Port Jefferson, and I know that loops around without a break.

The S33 is the same way as the S27. IIRC they weren't always like that, or at least the S33 wasn't. The S33 use to have a layover at Rabro/111 but then some years ago they changed it to how it operates today. I don't remember when they changed it exactly but I remember it was after 2000 because I have somewhere an old S33 schedule that showes the break.

There probably is no DH. Most likely the driver probably changes the sign either when they get to the North Complex or when they get to NYS 111 and Rabro. (Short of how it's said that the S69 driver changes the sign at Smith Haven Mall and SUNY Stony Brook Hospital even though it doesn't end at those locations)

There probably is no DH. Most likely the driver probably changes the sign either when they get to the North Complex or when they get to NYS 111 and Rabro. (Short of how it's said that the S69 driver changes the sign at Smith Haven Mall and SUNY Stony Brook Hospital even though it doesn't end at those locations)

....except that never happened in any of the times I took the S27.

Every single time I got off at Wheeler/Rabro, the bus went OOS.....

....except that never happened in any of the times I took the S27.

Every single time I got off at Wheeler/Rabro, the bus went OOS.....

Have you taken the S27 since EBT took over operation of it? I only ask because maybe that was how ICMC did it but maybe EBT does it differently.

Well after that takeover, yes.

That is strange then, especially if you didn't see any other there at the same time as your bus. 

My only guess would be that EBT has the S27 driver's schedule different then how Suffolk Transit wrote the Schedule. Or maybe it was just the run you were on, IIRC someone once said, this was after EBT took over the ICMC routes I believe, that they had either taken the S27 from Hauppauge to Babylon or seen it come in, and that driver went on a break then pulled back up as either an S23 or S29 heading to Walt Whitman Mall. 

Maybe if there is some short of driver interline being done, it causes a run or two of the S27 to have to have a lay over in Hauppauge or end their run there while others don't?

• 1 year later...

instructions.

Click on links below to view bus route schedules

S1 - keep
S20 - Start First Run At 8:00 AM and Start Last Run At 8:00 PM, Change To S2
S23 - Change To S3
S25 - Change To S4
S27 - Change To S5
S29 - Change To S6, make route Dix Hills To Babylon RR Shuttle (via deer Park), weekdays only
S31 - Change S7, make Newsday To Pinelawn Shuttle (4 times per direction, per day), weekdays only, or get rid of
S33 - Change To S8 
S40 - change to S9
S41 - Change to S10 
S42 - change to S11
S45 - change to S12
S47 - Have Service In Summer and on Special Events At Beach, Change to S13
S54 - Change To S14
S56 - Change To S15
S57 - Change to S16
S58 - Change To S17
S59 - weekdays only , change to S18
S60 - change to S19, add Sunday service