SCT Proposals 2012-2013 Thread

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, catman said:

The First Stop The S29 does in Dix hills now

You say that like the route ends in Dix Hills now....

There's not much of a point in stubbing the S29 like that.... Cutting it short of Jericho Tpke, short of Whitman mall, & killing weekend service on top of it, isn't going to do that route any justice.....

Edited by B35 via Church

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

You say that like the route ends in Dix Hills now....

There's not much of a point in stubbing the S29 like that.... Cutting it short of Jericho Tpke, short of Whitman mall, & killing weekend service on top of it, isn't going to do that route any justice.....

I'd like to know why you picked the S29 and not the S23, since the S29 was for a time the only bus going from Babylon to Walt Whitman Mall. (While apparently for a time having a offshoot to SCCC-Brentwood or somewhere around there, before the S33 was extended to Hauppauge in 1987 or so)

Does the S29 just not draw as many passengers any more then the S23 does?

As a not for the S31 for a time it use to go up to the old Suffolk School (The full name escapes me at the moment) in Melville. I don't know how frequently it did but since it was shown like the above mentioned S29 offshoot I assume not very frequently. 

22 hours ago, mac5689 said:

I'd like to know why you picked the S29 and not the S23, since the S29 was for a time the only bus going from Babylon to Walt Whitman Mall. (While apparently for a time having a offshoot to SCCC-Brentwood or somewhere around there, before the S33 was extended to Hauppauge in 1987 or so)

?

Thanks for the brief history lesson, but this nonsense about having the S29 run weekdays only & cutting it back to Dix Hills isn't my idea.... You should be asking catman this question.

22 hours ago, mac5689 said:

Does the S29 just not draw as many passengers any more then the S23 does?

I don't have any official stats in front of me, but from my experiences at least, the S29 tends to carry more than the S23.... I would leave the route alone.

17 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

?

Thanks for the brief history lesson, but this nonsense about having the S29 run weekdays only & cutting it back to Dix Hills isn't my idea.... You should be asking catman this question.

I don't have any official stats in front of me, but from my experiences at least, the S29 tends to carry more than the S23.... I would leave the route alone.

Sorry B35 I was asking Catman. I must have not realized that I quoted you when I started my reply. 

Can I ask what time of day your experiences are with the S29?   I only ask because I noticed a few times near the end of the day EBT seems to put a Spirit of Mobility on the S29. 

1 hour ago, mac5689 said:

Sorry B35 I was asking Catman. I must have not realized that I quoted you when I started my reply. 

Can I ask what time of day your experiences are with the S29?   I only ask because I noticed a few times near the end of the day EBT seems to put a Spirit of Mobility on the S29. 

No problem.

As far as my experiences with the route, it's mainly been on Saturdays, anywhere from, say, 11am to 2pm (either direction; from Whitman Mall or from LIRR Babylon)... Many moons ago though (when I had the free time for it), I also would embark on it, on weekdays, around the same timeframe (11am to 2pm)... The S29 was usually my go to (route) to get to Babylon whenever I used to ride the old full route of the N79 from Mineola to Whitman....

I find that the S29 moves at a better rate, on top of being more useful for more people,,,,

On 10/17/2018 at 8:32 AM, B35 via Church said:

No problem.=

As far as my experiences with the route, it's mainly been on Saturdays, anywhere from, say, 11am to 2pm (either direction; from Whitman Mall or from LIRR Babylon)... Many moons ago though (when I had the free time for it), I also would embark on it, on weekdays, around the same timeframe (11am to 2pm)... The S29 was usually my go to (route) to get to Babylon whenever I used to ride the old full route of the N79 from Mineola to Whitman....

I find that the S29 moves at a better rate, on top of being more useful for more people,,,,

I'm always surprised when I see a Spirit of Mobility tracker being used on the S29, since I always assumed the S29 carried a fair amount of people since they have used 40ft's on it.

Unless they carry less during the late afternoon/early evening then they do the rest of the day. 

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Jova42R said:

@mac5689 @B35 via Church @BM5 via Woodhaven

forgive me if this is stupid, i haven't been out to suffolk in quite a while.

Buuuuuuut, here's the S139:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nsy60G9ZS46gCvhJStQTLhfh8neAk_4i&usp=sharing

Southampton to Mastic-Shirley.

Thoughts?

Sir, is that not an S66/92 combined....? No thanks.

4 hours ago, Jova42R said:

Thoughts?

You don't have to keep tagging people when you make proposals. If people want to comment on your ideas, then they'll do it. 

Anyways, I don't see the point of this route. This is more or less the eastern half of the S66 (bypassing Center Moriches), then an express version of the S92 which would be virtually non-stop from Flanders to Southampton. I'm not even going to ask for what the span of service would be, because regardless how you structure it, the ridership would be low. 

15 hours ago, Jova42R said:

Thoughts?

For starters, instead of people having to sit up here & guess what your intentions are with these ideas, you should explain what you're attempting to accomplish with them, before the fact... Help us help you.

Anyway, I wouldn't say it's stupid, but even if I ignore the redundant nature of it, I will say it appears to be a poor attempt at providing a one seat ride between the affected portions of the county.... On the western end of your route, Downtown Shirley & downtown Mastic by themselves isn't a strong enough ridership generator by themselves, for a separate service panning east... It would loom too reliant on anyone xferring off S66's or S68's west of Shirley, seeking areas east of Mastic (not inclusive) - which, for all intents & purposes for most riders, is Riverhead.... On the other end of your route, it's a de facto express of the S92 from Riverhead that runs to LIRR Southampton - which makes little sense stubbing it like that, when folks are seeking the village....

I have an idea that would help for what I think you're trying to do, but I want to know just what it is that you're ultimately trying to accomplish or remedy with the idea....

11 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

You don't have to keep tagging people when you make proposals. If people want to comment on your ideas, then they'll do it.

I see it as an odd form of respect... It doesn't bother me personally (matter fact, I tend to chuckle at it).

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/23/2020 at 3:00 AM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Anyways, I don't see the point of this route. This is more or less the eastern half of the S66 (bypassing Center Moriches), then an express version of the S92 which would be virtually non-stop from Flanders to Southampton. I'm not even going to ask for what the span of service would be, because regardless how you structure it, the ridership would be low. 

This seems like a route Suffolk would come up with to get people out of the Hamptons and into areas near the border of Nassau County. The problem with Suffolk County is that they love their 2-3 hour bus routes and will give it a Gillig. They leave Speed primarily for getting north/south on 110 or Nichols Road while their east/west routes can take their time going thru the county without traveling at fast speeds. 

Its on odd inversion of NICE where every route is just rushing to get from point A to point B with the n16, n23 and n20 G/H, and n25 being the only routes I can think of that travels at a slow pace as to not disturb the NIMBYs who don't want the route in their neighborhood. The point I am making is that Suffolk seems to have a massive respect for their routes that Nassau residents at least west of Hicksville don't. This is coming from someone who lives in Central Nassau where people really yearn for the n6 and n70/71/72 to go back to the old days of speeding on Hempstead Turnpike and stopping at Elmont Road, Meacham, and NUMC and 110.

16 hours ago, NY1635 said:

This seems like a route Suffolk would come up with to get people out of the Hamptons and into areas near the border of Nassau County. The problem with Suffolk County is that they love their 2-3 hour bus routes and will give it a Gillig. They leave Speed primarily for getting north/south on 110 or Nichols Road while their east/west routes can take their time going thru the county without traveling at fast speeds. 

Its on odd inversion of NICE where every route is just rushing to get from point A to point B with the n16, n23 and n20 G/H, and n25 being the only routes I can think of that travels at a slow pace as to not disturb the NIMBYs who don't want the route in their neighborhood. The point I am making is that Suffolk seems to have a massive respect for their routes that Nassau residents at least west of Hicksville don't. This is coming from someone who lives in Central Nassau where people really yearn for the n6 and n70/71/72 to go back to the old days of speeding on Hempstead Turnpike and stopping at Elmont Road, Meacham, and NUMC and 110.

SCT has to cover far more territory than NICE does..... [Suffolk's bus network is better suited for Suffolk County] than [Nassau's bus network is suited for Nassau County].... NICE in some aspects is still holding on to the grid network structure that was laid out by the MTA with LIB, but would actually be much better suited structuring their bus network via a (multiple) hub & spoke based network....

Also, it has less to do with SCT "loving" 2-3 hour bus routes & more to do with having to do more with less (buses & b/o's).....

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

SCT has to cover far more territory than NICE does..... [Suffolk's bus network is better suited for Suffolk County] than [Nassau's bus network is suited for Nassau County].... NICE in some aspects is still holding on to the grid network structure that was laid out by the MTA with LIB, but would actually be much better suited structuring their bus network via a (multiple) hub & spoke based network....

Also, it has less to do with SCT "loving" 2-3 hour bus routes & more to do with having to do more with less (buses & b/o's).....

The problem with NICE stems from them not being sure what to do with the n70/71/72. The route was created under the LIB to be pretty much a Hempstead-Newsday/Sunrise Mall/Babylon route. Under NICE the n70/71/72 is pretty much the Hempstead-SUNY Farmingdale/Airport Plaza at Conkin and Sunrise Mall route. NICE reverted the n22/n24 back to LIB service levels without the 22A/X/Limited or splitting the n24 at Roosevelt Field. I suspect that after the country is reopen, they will just opt to make the n20 one route with short turns at Roslyn like it was in the 80s, and just get rid of everything east of Roslyn for the school period.

I've been told by older residents that Hempstead Turnpike as once a massive highway akin to 110 but the it's been narrowed down around Elmont and Franklin Square, or around NUMC to allow Pedestrians to Cross and reduce crashes.  

As for fleet, NICE's problem stems mostly from getting rid of the Orion Vs in favor of the Orion VIIs, and now trying to get rid of the Orion VIIs in favor of New Flyer. Nassau is the same county that complains about using school buses when the JFK Flyer was just a school bus with different colors. Suffolk will at least maintain the Gilligs and use them past the expiration date. That statement is meant to be serious because Long Island is home to car people who own a car from the 50s, 60s, and still drive them on the road.

8 hours ago, NY1635 said:

The problem with NICE stems from them not being sure what to do with the n70/71/72. The route was created under the LIB to be pretty much a Hempstead-Newsday/Sunrise Mall/Babylon route. Under NICE the n70/71/72 is pretty much the Hempstead-SUNY Farmingdale/Airport Plaza at Conkin and Sunrise Mall route. NICE reverted the n22/n24 back to LIB service levels without the 22A/X/Limited or splitting the n24 at Roosevelt Field. I suspect that after the country is reopen, they will just opt to make the n20 one route with short turns at Roslyn like it was in the 80s, and just get rid of everything east of Roslyn for the school period.

I've been told by older residents that Hempstead Turnpike as once a massive highway akin to 110 but the it's been narrowed down around Elmont and Franklin Square, or around NUMC to allow Pedestrians to Cross and reduce crashes.  

As for fleet, NICE's problem stems mostly from getting rid of the Orion Vs in favor of the Orion VIIs, and now trying to get rid of the Orion VIIs in favor of New Flyer. Nassau is the same county that complains about using school buses when the JFK Flyer was just a school bus with different colors. Suffolk will at least maintain the Gilligs and use them past the expiration date. That statement is meant to be serious because Long Island is home to car people who own a car from the 50s, 60s, and still drive them on the road.

NICE as a whole has bigger problems than the routes you're mentioning, guy.....