SCT Proposals 2012-2013 Thread

Nah, No route in suffolk county should have LTD's.... not even the S1.... can't afford to have buses skipping stops out there....

I don't know about a S20/S40 merge; those two routes are better off separate IMO.... The S40 is timed w/ the S66 @ Patchogue (a very common xfer scenario down there w/ riders); merging the 20/40 would screw that up.....

As far as pinepower's idea.... I actually agree with him on moving the S90 from Ctr. Moriches, and I can see there being a need for a supplementary route for the south fork portion of the S92.... My only thing though is (and I pointed this out to him the first time he brought that idea up a couple months back) I still see riders waiting for the S92, over taking an S90 through Quogue to get to Riverhead.....

The way I mapped a S20 and S40 merger The S40 was still able to run every half hour, it just needed an two or so extra buses.

The S40 isn't time for the S66, it just happens to work out that way since the S40 is run every half hour and the S66 runs every hour. Yes there is a lot of transferring, though most of the people that transfers from the S40 to the S66 always seem to be on the S40 run that arrives at the same time as the S66.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A S20 and S40 merger would actually work, I've worked out the numbers and all that, the only problems I see is that both routes are currently operated by two different companies (together both companies operate nearly half the system) and I doubt either would like to lose a route and second you would need about six buses to operate the route verses the four need to operate the current S40 and the one that operates the S20.

A 2009 study suggested that the S25 and S35 be merged and the new S25 be extended to SUNY Farmingdale.

A 5A and 7D merger doesn't help 7D riders as most just use it to connect to either the S66 or S71, go to Pathmark, or to take it when it switches over to the 7E. A 7D merger with the 7E would better help the area.

5a merger is aimed at new riders buddy

5a merger is aimed at new riders buddy

The 2009 Study calls for a extention to Shirley NOT a Merger Buddy. If the extention to Port Jefferson didn't help the 5A, then I doubt a extention to Shirley would help. The 5A should just be sacked or cut back to what it was before its extention and the S62 realigned to cover the 5A's Port Jefferson-Rocky Point route like it had been doing before the 5A was extended.

The 2009 Study calls for a extention to Shirley NOT a Merger Buddy. If the extention to Port Jefferson didn't help the 5A, then I doubt a extention to Shirley would help. The 5A should just be sacked or cut back to what it was before its extention and the S62 realigned to cover the 5A's Port Jefferson-Rocky Point route like it had been doing before the 5A was extended.

Wait, where did it go before it was extended to PJS? I mean, if it didn't serve any LIRR station, ridership must've been close to nothing (I mean, it's still close to nothing, but it must've been even worse)

Wait, where did it go before it was extended to PJS? I mean, if it didn't serve any LIRR station, ridership must've been close to nothing (I mean, it's still close to nothing, but it must've been even worse)

The 5A operated from Rocky Point to Middle Island

100 riders per week the most

The 5A operated from Rocky Point to Middle Island

100 riders per week the most

The 5A operated from Miller Place to Middle Island (I have seen the oeiognal 5A schedule, and may still have one in my possession). In 2003 they extened to Port Jefferson Station to give riders a one stop ride to the health care facilities that are near Mather Hospital, though I think it was only done to get more riders to use the route, They also said that they cut part of the route when they made the extention though I have yet to see that on the map. Prior to 2003 the S62 split its time traveling between Port Jefferson Station and Sound Beach via part of the 5A's current (there is a little section that the S62 covered that the 5A doesn't) routing and its current routing via Columbia Ave and NYS 25A

10A: I would totally ride that if there was a bridge that connected Shelter Island to the two forks. The only way to get to Shelter Island is by ferry, and I dunno if the bus can go on the ferry and if both are timed to meet each other

Bus is allowed on any ferry.

http://www.northferry.com/trucks.html

Bus is allowed on any ferry.

http://www.northferry.com/trucks.html

Yeah but that depends on what they classify a Transit bus as, if they classify it as a Commercial Coach then it can't cross during "extreme high or low tides which would mean that the bus can't cross possible twice a day 9Depending when the tide comes in and out) and also not at a set time table. The time for the tides change from day to day. Besides it could cost $70.00 for the bus, that would be 100.00+ a day depending on how many trips there are. The County doesn't have that much money laying around, I mean the department which runs Suffolk Transit (The DPW) is going to let more workers go in June because of the budget problems, and if they almost had not enough people to answer the phones before I would think they would have almost nobody after.

I can't see either side (SCT or the ferry company) agreeing to such an idea.....

The riders would catch onto that; all they'd have to do is board at the closest bus stop before the bus drives onto the ferry (instead of taking the ferry, outright)..... That saves passengers money instantly, while that ferry company would eventually lose too much money to even run the ferries.... And as was mentioned, the county is broke; SCT isn't paying no ferry company money to have buses hitch a ride to Shelter Island......

http://maps.google.c...2de03265f0ca60a

My Suffolk Transit Bus Map with my Proposals

It's hard to make out what some routes are doing b/c the colors representing other routes are clashing....

Are the ideas illustrated on the map basically what you posted in text form earlier:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34919-sct-proposals-2012-thread/?do=findComment&comment=534187

....or have you added more changes?

It's hard to make out what some routes are doing b/c the colors representing other routes are clashing....

Are the ideas illustrated on the map basically what you posted in text form earlier:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34919-sct-proposals-2012-thread/?do=findComment&comment=534187

....or have you added more changes?

I've added more changes

What was the point of putting the S23 on there, it doen't look like you made any changes to it.

You know that the point of numbering the 3A, 3B, and 3C the way they are is because all three intersect at The South Shore Mall right, You seemingly want to renumber them just because you have a problem with routes ending with a Letter?

What was the point of putting the S23 on there, it doen't look like you made any changes to it.

You know that the point of numbering the 3A, 3B, and 3C the way they are is because all three intersect at The South Shore Mall right, You seemingly want to renumber them just because you have a problem with routes ending with a Letter?

The map shows how all routes would like if I was to make the proposals. The 3C is the S3 and S4, the 3A and 3B are one loop going the 3A route first to Hauppague and From Happague down back via the 3B. This route would be called the S13 as its a combination of the two. The 3C was split up into two routes hence the names S3 (via Connectiqot Avenue) and S4 (via Part Time 3C and the villages ). That way, people can distinguish the route pattern. The 2A/2B will be modified in my proposals, you'll have to see it for yourselves though.

I updated my map, so if anyone wanna see, check it for yourselves.

Updates:

S2 and S10 fully finish

Certain ## routes modified and/or combined and relabed to S##

New Routings in Coram and Sag Harbor

etc......

Can you just list the routes on here that you wouldn't change the routings of..... that way it would make noticing/checking out the routes you want to change, easier.....

The map shows how all routes would like if I was to make the proposals. The 3C is the S3 and S4, the 3A and 3B are one loop going the 3A route first to Hauppague and From Happague down back via the 3B. This route would be called the S13 as its a combination of the two. The 3C was split up into two routes hence the names S3 (via Connectiqot Avenue) and S4 (via Part Time 3C and the villages ). That way, people can distinguish the route pattern. The 2A/2B will be modified in my proposals, you'll have to see it for yourselves though.

No offence but it would be simple to keep the orignal routing number (for the 3C and just make a new route #3E or so for a new route. or in the way of combinging like the 3A and 3B keep one route # since as you say you want make the route a loop). Also with the 3A and 3B you can make a loop by having the 3A the Hauppauge-Bay Shore portion and the 3B the Bay Shore-Hauppauge portion, and before you say that it shouldn't be done because the route change would be done with riders onboard, I would like to point out that the S69 driver has to change the routes sign twice when passengers are onboard the bus. I also don't like your idea of renumbering all the routes, I mean if you try and simplify things to much you won't be creating better transportation but promoting laziness and stupidity.

too tired to share but I do intend on typing my proposal and sending it to sct it streamlines the system and aligns buses better with travel patterns of most residents. also it makes travel faster the ferry company would agree to Q23's idea if the fares are given to the ferry company so ppl cant bypass the fare. Besides I've been to shelter island it is very walkable and small I can see a montauk to riverhead via shelter island working BUT can they afford it?

No offence but it would be simple to keep the orignal routing number (for the 3C and just make a new route #3E or so for a new route. or in the way of combinging like the 3A and 3B keep one route # since as you say you want make the route a loop). Also with the 3A and 3B you can make a loop by having the 3A the Hauppauge-Bay Shore portion and the 3B the Bay Shore-Hauppauge portion, and before you say that it shouldn't be done because the route change would be done with riders onboard, I would like to point out that the S69 driver has to change the routes sign twice when passengers are onboard the bus. I also don't like your idea of renumbering all the routes, I mean if you try and simplify things to much you won't be creating better transportation but promoting laziness and stupidity.

Well I never said the loop cant happen, and I understand the S69 Scenario. However, I'm constently adding new patterns, as my map is not done yet, so dont think I'm ending there.

Can you just list the routes on here that you wouldn't change the routings of..... that way it would make noticing/checking out the routes you want to change, easier.....

Routes that I wont change the rotuings of:

S23,S47,S66

S27,S56,s71

S29,S60,

S33,S61

S41,s62

S45,s63

In my next update:

Several eliminated bus patterns

New Bus Patterns

More Relabelings

etc...

too tired to share but I do intend on typing my proposal and sending it to sct it streamlines the system and aligns buses better with travel patterns of most residents. also it makes travel faster the ferry company would agree to Q23's idea if the fares are given to the ferry company so ppl cant bypass the fare. Besides I've been to shelter island it is very walkable and small I can see a montauk to riverhead via shelter island working BUT can they afford it?

I highly doubt you can predict the travel patterns of other people, also I assume you mean riders, since most residents of the county probably don't ride a bus.

The county can't afford it, besides I don't see them even considering such a thing, because as the Shelter Island Ferry said on its site Commercial Buses can't ride during extreme High and Low Tide, the tides are unpredictable because the change day to day. For example (Now I'm no expert in tides) lets say a bus is schedule to get on the Ferry at 9:00 AM heading to Greenport, the bus gets on as schedule say on a Monday, but Tuesday the tide is schedule to come in at 9:00. That means the bus would have wait at the dock for the next ferry when its fine for the bus to cross. Say it take a half hour for that to happen, you's have the riders waiting a half hour and causing that bus to then be a half hour late and unless it can make a quick turn around and get back on the ferry, it may have to wait another half hour (Assuming the ferry runs every half hour) That would mean that the bus would end up being a full hour late just because of the tide. Now however the Ferry Company didn't say that a bus could pass during rough seas, which I would assume that since it can't pass at extreme High or Low Tides it probably wouldn't be able to pass during rough seas. Now say a storm come up and causes very rough seas and the buses aren't allowed on the ferry at all, how are the passengers suppose to get to Green Port then? The plan is flawed, and anyone with common sense should see it.