SCT Proposals 2012-2013 Thread

No problem.

As for the S58, alright, point taken.

I put together a list of a few deadheads that can be converted to revenue service (for both HART & SCT). It would require a bit of interlining, so hopefully they allow that.

H10 Weekdays:

First EB bus leaves Huntington LIRR station at 6:10AM. First WB bus leaves Huntington LIRR station at 6:39AM.

Last EB bus leaves CSH at 6:40PM, terminating at the Huntington LIRR station. Last WB bus leaves Commack at 6:40PM and terminates at the Huntington LIRR station. 

H10 Saturdays:

First WB bus leaves Pulaski/Depot at 8:40AM. Last EB bus leaves leaves CSH at 7:00PM, terminating at Pulaski/Depot.

H20 Weekdays:

First NB bus leaves Rt. 110/Pulaski at 6:46AM, headed towards Halesite. Last SB bus leaves Halesite at 7:00PM, terminating at Pulaski Road. (Neither of those buses would do the loop around Walt Whitman Mall. They would just run straight up/down Woodhull Road)

First SB bus leaves Huntington LIRR station at 6:35AM to Walt Whitman Mall via Depot Road. An additional bus leaves Rt. 110/Pulaski at 6:40AM to Walt Whitman Mall via 8th Avenue.

Last NB bus leaves Walt Whitman Mall at 6:54PM to Rt. 110/Pulaski via 8th Avenue. Last SB bus leaves Walt Whitman Mall at 7:03PM to Huntington LIRR station via Depot Road.

H20 Saturdays:

First NB bus leaves Rt. 110/Pulaski at 8:46AM, headed towards Halesite.

H40 Weekdays:

Last SB bus leaves VA Medical Center at 6:45PM to Pulaski Road. Then turns into H10 to Pulaski/Depot at 7:10PM. (The last S41 of the night is at 6:20PM right now, so at least this would give people a way to get to the LIRR)

H40 Saturdays:

Last SB bus leaves VA Medical Center at 6:35PM to Pulaski Road. Then turns into H10 to Pulaski/Depot at 7:00PM.

S1: 5:25AM & 5:55AM trips added from Walt Whitman Mall to Halesite, for those who may need to catch an early morning LIRR train.

Not going to list all the specific trips, but I'll say some additional buses would start/end at Conklin Avenue in both directions (Instead of deadheading all the way to/from the end, they'll start/end halfway up the line).

S23: 5:55AM bus from Wyandanch LIRR station added (replaces the 6:00AM S29 trip from Deer Park. Basically, it's the same bus, but it starts in Wyandanch).

7:55PM bus from Babylon to Wyandanch added.

S25: 6:45AM bus added from Five Corners to Babylon. Interlined with the S27 (the first few S27 buses of the morning will do an S25 trip from Five Corners on their way from the depot to Babylon. The last few buses of the night will do an S25 trip to Five Corners on their way back from the depot). 

S33: 6:00AM bus added out of Deer Park to Amityville. 8:35PM bus added from Sunrise to Deer Park. 9:20PM bus added from Amityville to Deer Park. Additional buses added during the shoulder periods to provide 30 minute service between Wyandanch & Amityville (Some S1 buses that would've otherwise been deadheading from Amityville)

7A: 5:30AM trip added from Ronkonkoma to Patchogue. 7:25PM trip, 8:30PM trip, and 9:15PM trip added from Patchogue to Ronkonkoma (run-ons/run-offs from the routes that start/end in Patchogue) 

S61: Two more SB trips added from Port Jefferson to Coram Plaza at 8:00PM & 8:30PM (8PM trip is an S62 interline, 8:30PM trip is an S60 interline)

S66: Last westbound bus out of Riverhead is at 7:50PM (DS4 would be happy ;) )

The proposed S60 interline would be the driver that isn't the driver that's scheduled to drive the S69 then. Both interlines for later S61 service makes sense except for the short deadhead either to the Ferry dock or to the LIRR station, since the S61 doesn't stop at the Jefferson Plaza stop.

7A is a low ridership route, which just got switched to a Para Transit bus, so that route is probably on the verge of extinction. So I doubt there would be any idea to add service, unless there is some type of turn around.

The S25 also is a low ridership route as well. Not sure if a transfer to a Para Transit bus has or will be happening though. Also EBT has a few S27's interlined with S29's so any interlines with the S25 would probably involve them reworking their driver's work schedules. 

Have no Idea about HART, though it's possible that they may not have the reserve fleet to add runs that can't turn into runs already scheduled. 

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IDK, but wouldn't those added 7A trips be more beneficial if they were on the S54 instead to Ronkonkoma (the bus would deviate at MacArthur to run along the S57 route). I don't know if there is a way to reach an agreememt with EBT over those trips. Furthermore, I believe that the S54 should run inside of MacArthur Airport at all times that it runs.

I would add an extra S33 to Deer Park at 7:10 PM from Amityville, a 7:35 PM 2A to Deer Park or Wyandanch (comes from the S41), and a S42 from Central Islip to Bay Shore at 7:05 PM (comes from the 3C).

I suppose that would be another idea, if it were mentioned on the schedule that buses do the S54 and then the S57 route to Ronkonkoma (so riders coming from Patchogue know that the bus ultimately ends up in Ronkonkoma and don't think it leaves them right at the airport).

The S54 being as long and unreliable as it is, I'm not sure if it's worth it to send it into the airport. Granted, it does provide a lot of connections that the S57 doesn't (all the Patchogue routes & Hauppauge routes for starters). 

Speaking of the 2A, I'd get rid of that diversion along Carlls Path. The S33 is a few blocks away on Commack Road, and the 2A itself stops at Nicolls & Deer Park. 

BTW, B35 made a post a while back with a restructuring that I agree with, involving straightening out the S45, and modifying the 3C for  Central Islip riders seeking service out to the Hauppauge area. (The only thing I disagreed with him on was whether or not the S42 should serve the Colony Park Apartments). 

It looks like the plan would save around 10-15 minutes compared to the current S45 routing. So the 9PM bus out of Bay Shore would get to Smithtown around 9:45PM, and instead of deadheading, it would make a return trip, probably getting down to Brentwood around the 10:15-10:30 timeframe, and getting down to Bay Shore around 10:30-10:40 or so.

As a compromise to the Central Islip area, the 3D & S42 would run a little bit later. Having the last S42 leave CI at 5PM is nothing short of ridiculous. I'd have the last few buses of the night travel from Ronkonkoma to Bay Shore, skipping the South Shore Mall (the last bus would leave Ronkonkoma around 7PM or so).

The 3D would have a 7:50PM trip and 8:50PM trip added, running from Brentwood to Smith Haven. Then return trips heading south at 8:25PM & 9:25PM. The bus would then turn into an S45 to Bay Shore before running to the depot. (I know the shifts would have to be moved around a little bit for this to occur, since you're extending it by an extra 2 hours).

The 3A would be rerouted in NW Brentwood, to run straight down Floyd Street instead of the extra looping it does. I'd also have the last 3B of the night do a trip to South Shore Mall on its way back. I'd also add a round-trip on the S41 from Bay Shore to Brentwood. 5:45PM is too early for the last bus out of Bay Shore. Ideally, the span would be similar to that of the S45.

The proposed S60 interline would be the driver that isn't the driver that's scheduled to drive the S69 then. Both interlines for later S61 service makes sense except for the short deadhead either to the Ferry dock or to the LIRR station, since the S61 doesn't stop at the Jefferson Plaza stop.

7A is a low ridership route, which just got switched to a Para Transit bus, so that route is probably on the verge of extinction. So I doubt there would be any idea to add service, unless there is some type of turn around.

The S25 also is a low ridership route as well. Not sure if a transfer to a Para Transit bus has or will be happening though. Also EBT has a few S27's interlined with S29's so any interlines with the S25 would probably involve them reworking their driver's work schedules. 

Have no Idea about HART, though it's possible that they may not have the reserve fleet to add runs that can't turn into runs already scheduled. 

With the S25, the idea is that the drivers are heading in that direction anyway when they're traveling to/from the depot, so even if they only carry 1 or 2 people, it's still better than having them wait for a later bus. Plus, there's people who can't use the bus because it runs when they're coming home, but not in the morning when they're going to work, and vice versa. The first bus gets you down to Babylon at 7:35AM. If you start work at 8AM, even if it's another part of Suffolk County, you might not be able to get there in time, so even if the bus runs at 4PM or 5PM when you leave work, it doesn't do you any good. The same thing with people who work later: If you end work at 6PM, you might not be able to get down to Babylon before the 6:35PM bus departs.

Those buses would be whichever runs aren't already interlining. (So for example, the 7:45PM, 8:45PM, and 9:45PM S27 trips that arrive in Babylon just go right back to the depot. So they would do half an S25 trip on the way back. I don't think the first S25 (the 7:05AM out of Babylon) interlines with anything, so the B/O would do half an S25 trip on the way to Babylon, instead of deadheading.

Those extra HART runs would be trips that are already deadheading to/from their outer terminal on their first/last run of the day. Their headquarters is right by the Huntington LIRR station, so it's a convenient short-turn terminal for those trips. 

I'm surprised that the s54 is unreliable having open roads throughout its route. ..a normal s54 trip takes average 1h20 minutes to complete the route

I remember last may i took the 9am s54 to patchogue and it arrived at 10:29pm just intime to the s66 bus to Riverhead

Also two months ago i awaited a 4:30pm s54...it no show and the 5pm showed up at 5:15pm...i said is too late for to take the route since i had to take the 430p and arrive Hauppauge at 500pm and not 5:45pm

I want to know when in the particular route does the s54 gets caught on traffic?

With the S25, the idea is that the drivers are heading in that direction anyway when they're traveling to/from the depot, so even if they only carry 1 or 2 people, it's still better than having them wait for a later bus. Plus, there's people who can't use the bus because it runs when they're coming home, but not in the morning when they're going to work, and vice versa. The first bus gets you down to Babylon at 7:35AM. If you start work at 8AM, even if it's another part of Suffolk County, you might not be able to get there in time, so even if the bus runs at 4PM or 5PM when you leave work, it doesn't do you any good. The same thing with people who work later: If you end work at 6PM, you might not be able to get down to Babylon before the 6:35PM bus departs.

Those buses would be whichever runs aren't already interlining. (So for example, the 7:45PM, 8:45PM, and 9:45PM S27 trips that arrive in Babylon just go right back to the depot. So they would do half an S25 trip on the way back. I don't think the first S25 (the 7:05AM out of Babylon) interlines with anything, so the B/O would do half an S25 trip on the way to Babylon, instead of deadheading.

Those extra HART runs would be trips that are already deadheading to/from their outer terminal on their first/last run of the day. Their headquarters is right by the Huntington LIRR station, so it's a convenient short-turn terminal for those trips. 

Problem is the S25 isn't a high ridership route adding service wouldn't do anything except drive the debt higher.

I'm surprised that the s54 is unreliable having open roads throughout its route. ..a normal s54 trip takes average 1h20 minutes to complete the route

I remember last may i took the 9am s54 to patchogue and it arrived at 10:29pm just intime to the s66 bus to Riverhead

Also two months ago i awaited a 4:30pm s54...it no show and the 5pm showed up at 5:15pm...i said is too late for to take the route since i had to take the 430p and arrive Hauppauge at 500pm and not 5:45pm

I want to know when in the particular route does the s54 gets caught on traffic?

The S54 travels on Jericho Turnpike (Also Know as NYS 25, AKA in parts of Suffolk as Middle Country Road) and Veterans Memorial Highway. Both are known as having traffic get back up and for having accidents which could slow down a bus.

Most likely the S54, like most buses, would get caught up in traffic during Rush Hour, Not to mention it gets caught up at the State Building in Hauppauge and probably at the shopping center it stops at in Commack, or passes between there and WWM,  not to mention traffic at Walt Whitman Mall especially during the holidays. 

Iforgot to say that traffic signal at WWMall (access road and at nys110 and nys25 is a real killer takes almost 10 minutes to just leave the mall area and climb the hill side)

But you're right that may be the problem. ..as the fact that accessing the state buildings in Hauppauge and Macy's in commack is to wait a longggg traffic signal since you're heading westward and not due east (much like the s66 suffers when it enters SCCC in riverhead due to patchogue )

• 5 months later...

the S60 should better replace the 5A and run from Smith Haven Mall to Middle Island 

This was from the Random Thoughts Thread in the NICE Section, but I placed it here so that it wouldn't continue going off-topic. 

Honestly, I would just get rid of the 5A altogether, and have the S58 and/or the S62 deviate to serve Leisure Village. You could also reroute the S62 in the Sound Beach area, and also eliminate the part-time routing. However, I don't know if the deviations would still allow for enough layover (the deviation would add about 5 minutes if applied to the S58, and up to 10 minutes for the S62). 

Edited by BM5 via WOODHAVEN BL

This was from the Random Thoughts Thread in the NICE Section, but I placed it here so that it wouldn't continue going off-topic. 

Honestly, I would just get rid of the 5A altogether, and have the S58 and/or the S62 deviate to serve Leisure Village. You could also reroute the S62 in the Sound Beach area, and also eliminate the part-time routing. However, I don't know if the deviations would still allow for enough layover (the deviation would add about 5 minutes if applied to the S58, and up to 10 minutes for the S62). 

Most likely if there is some form of ridership from Leisure Village then they will probably pare down the 5A to serve from there to either Middle Island or probably Rocky Point Plaza assuming on which way the ridership heads and on a cost conscience scheduling and probably using a Para Transit bus. A deviation of the S58 or S62 probably wouldn't happen because like you said it would add run time to the routes and my guess is that ridership from Leisure Village probably isn't enough to warrant such. 

If the 5A is cut I could see the S62 going back to the way it use to operate, before the 5A extension to Port Jefferson in 2003,  where it operates via North Country Road (The way the 5A goes) and every other run it goes up South Columbia to NYS 25A.

Did you know back in the early 90's the S62 use to run from NYS 25A to NYS 347 to North Columbia across NYS 25A to South Columbia on runs that came from Riverhead. It could only go that way from Riverhead because there was/is no access to Eastbound 347 from North Columbia/Williams Street.

• 2 months later...

Has anybody else wondered why the S57 deviates into L.I. MacArthur Airport but the S54 and S59 don't? Does anyone else think that maybe one or both of them should?

What I've wondered about in the past, is why one route serves it over the other (the 57 over the 59), but never wondered why more than any one of those 3 routes serve it.... In other words, I never thought that there really needed to be more than the 1 route going in there (if it's the 57 over the 59, so be it, I guess)..... I can certainly understand why the S54 doesn't serve MacArthur....

Has anybody else wondered why the S57 deviates into L.I. MacArthur Airport but the S54 and S59 don't? Does anyone else think that maybe one or both of them should?

From what I can recall hearing the reason for the deviation was to give those who needed the airport better way to get there from/to Smith Haven Mall (and probably Ronkonkoma Railroad, though  for some reason Smith Haven Mall is the only one that sticks out) 

As far why the S57 over S59 that I do not know. Maybe the answer has something to do with when the stop was added. When was MacAurthur added as a stop?

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking, since there's no service from the area around Yaphank Railroad to the rest of Suffolk (except by train of course, which doesn't run often). I was thinking, why not have those S68 which run to Center Moriches serve the Industrial section of Yaphank and the county offices over there by Yaphank. There would be a bus at around 9:30 AM and 12:30 PM from Patchogue (towards Center Moriches), and a bus at approximately 10:15 AM and 1:25 PM towards Patchogue (from Center Moriches). Furthermore, it gives whatever riders going to Industrial Yaphank (Old Dock Road) more flexibility in case they either need to leave work early or go in later.

Those S68 trips mentioned above would no longer serve Bellport Village. The S66 would also run via South Country Road on all trips (no Bellport Village bypass trips). 

It would make it much easier to reach the Yaphank offices, and no other buses would be required (it's cost-neutral).

Alternatively (or additionally, too), 7B trips towards Bellport could run out to Yaphank instead. The Medford trips would remain as it is.

I was thinking, since there's no service from the area around Yaphank Railroad to the rest of Suffolk (except by train of course, which doesn't run often). I was thinking, why not have those S68 which run to Center Moriches serve the Industrial section of Yaphank and the county offices over there by Yaphank. There would be a bus at around 9:30 AM and 12:30 PM from Patchogue (towards Center Moriches), and a bus at approximately 10:15 AM and 1:25 PM towards Patchogue (from Center Moriches). Furthermore, it gives whatever riders going to Industrial Yaphank (Old Dock Road) more flexibility in case they either need to leave work early or go in later.

Those S68 trips mentioned above would no longer serve Bellport Village. The S66 would also run via South Country Road on all trips (no Bellport Village bypass trips). 

It would make it much easier to reach the Yaphank offices, and no other buses would be required (it's cost-neutral).

Alternatively (or additionally, too), 7B trips towards Bellport could run out to Yaphank instead. The Medford trips would remain as it is.

So you would like the S66 to operate how it did before at least the mid to late 90's?

The Town would like the Yaphank RR Station moved.

Fun fact (or maybe not so fun if you need to get to Yaphank by bus) but the closest bus route to the county offices is actually the S66, not the S68. 

The only issue I see is that there should be something serving the Bellport Outlets. How is ridership in Bellport Village (on the 3 routes serving it)? I'm with the people that say the S71 should just return as-is. But if not, I think the next best thing would be the following:

S68: Patchogue-Yaphank via Sills Road, North Dunton Avenue, Atlantic Avenue, Taylor Avenue, Brookhaven Avenue, Station Road, Sills Road, Old Dock Road, Sills Road, LIE, Yaphank Avenue, and terminate at the County Offices. Westbound buses would do the same thing in reverse, except they would bypass Old Dock Road since you can't turn left into it (so riders would have to ride around Yaphank before returning back to Patchogue). Alternatively, buses could make a U-turn a little bit past Old Dock Road and come in through that direction.

All 7B trips would bypass Conifer Village, since it would be served by the S68.

That would allow the 7B to operate with just one bus, with all trips running to Medford Plaza. The S68 would probably require an extra bus (going strictly by the schedules, it would add an extra 10 minutes to go up to Old Dock Road, and then about another 8 minutes to get to Yaphank. and then say, an extra 2 minutes to travel between North Bellport & Patchogue because of the Brookhaven Hospital detour. So that's an extra 20 minutes, but then you subtract the 5 minutes going down to Bellport Village, and it makes the total runtime 35 minutes. I suppose if you wanted to, you could extend it down to William Floyd Plaza or Montauk Highway/Mastic Road to provide better connectivity for S71 riders coming from the south.

On a side note, why do so many LIRR Montauk Branch trips bypass Bellport? Considering a lot of those trains only have 2 stops east of there, you don't save much time relative to the inconvenience you're causing those passengers. 

Which makes it even more imperative that there be a bus route traveling there, so that some level of transit service is maintained.

I don't see why the current Yaphank station would have to be closed down. Why not just have one at Yaphank Avenue and one at the William Floyd Parkway? It's not like ridership is that high to the point where you're inconveniencing tons of passengers by making that extra stop.

I don't see why the current Yaphank station would have to be closed down. Why not just have one at Yaphank Avenue and one at the William Floyd Parkway? It's not like ridership is that high to the point where you're inconveniencing tons of passengers by making that extra stop.

The move would be to serve the Brookhaven Industral Center. (Which is a spot I believe that just lost bus service, and had only gotten service because supposedly workers there needed it. I'm not sure if anyone used it to/from there)

Also probably because of the develment of Busnessis and Apartments they are building at the site of the former Suffolk Meadows AKA Parr Meadows on William Floyd Parkway adjasant to the LIE.

Here is an article about it from earlier this year http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/yaphank-lirr-station-should-be-relocated-farther-east-1.12073920. There is no mention of the Parr Meadows project as being a reason however.

The move would be to serve the Brookhaven Industral Center. (Which is a spot I believe that just lost bus service, and had only gotten service because supposedly workers there needed it. I'm not sure if anyone used it to/from there)

Also probably because of the develment of Busnessis and Apartments they are building at the site of the former Suffolk Meadows AKA Parr Meadows on William Floyd Parkway adjasant to the LIE.

Here is an article about it from earlier this year http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/yaphank-lirr-station-should-be-relocated-farther-east-1.12073920. There is no mention of the Parr Meadows project as being a reason however.

I know, but it's not like you have to physically pick up the platforms and move them. Likely, they would construct new platforms/station booths at the new location, but there's nothing saying you have to abandon the old one while you do it. Why not just keep the old station and new station open?

I know, but it's not like you have to physically pick up the platforms and move them. Likely, they would construct new platforms/station booths at the new location, but there's nothing saying you have to abandon the old one while you do it. Why not just keep the old station and new station open?

Thats something the MTA has to decide. (Though having two stations named Yaphank would lead to confusion.)

The town didn't say what they would like to see happen with the old site. Though since they say the current site isn't used much, my guess would be that they would like to see it torn down. Though again thats just my guess.

Edited by mac5689

Fun fact (or maybe not so fun if you need to get to Yaphank by bus) but the closest bus route to the county offices is actually the S66, not the S68. 

The only issue I see is that there should be something serving the Bellport Outlets. How is ridership in Bellport Village (on the 3 routes serving it)? I'm with the people that say the S71 should just return as-is. But if not, I think the next best thing would be the following:

S68: Patchogue-Yaphank via Sills Road, North Dunton Avenue, Atlantic Avenue, Taylor Avenue, Brookhaven Avenue, Station Road, Sills Road, Old Dock Road, Sills Road, LIE, Yaphank Avenue, and terminate at the County Offices. Westbound buses would do the same thing in reverse, except they would bypass Old Dock Road since you can't turn left into it (so riders would have to ride around Yaphank before returning back to Patchogue). Alternatively, buses could make a U-turn a little bit past Old Dock Road and come in through that direction.

All 7B trips would bypass Conifer Village, since it would be served by the S68.

That would allow the 7B to operate with just one bus, with all trips running to Medford Plaza. The S68 would probably require an extra bus (going strictly by the schedules, it would add an extra 10 minutes to go up to Old Dock Road, and then about another 8 minutes to get to Yaphank. and then say, an extra 2 minutes to travel between North Bellport & Patchogue because of the Brookhaven Hospital detour. So that's an extra 20 minutes, but then you subtract the 5 minutes going down to Bellport Village, and it makes the total runtime 35 minutes. I suppose if you wanted to, you could extend it down to William Floyd Plaza or Montauk Highway/Mastic Road to provide better connectivity for S71 riders coming from the south.

On a side note, why do so many LIRR Montauk Branch trips bypass Bellport? Considering a lot of those trains only have 2 stops east of there, you don't save much time relative to the inconvenience you're causing those passengers. 

Which makes it even more imperative that there be a bus route traveling there, so that some level of transit service is maintained.

So the route would more or less look like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?hl=en&hl=en&authuser=0&authuser=0&mid=1hEdlloRcXssDdh_dOPxk6YfHiIM

(some modifications were added in order to directly serve Conifer Village, and some parts missing with the route on the Old Dock Road Section).

The good thing is that Conifer Village gets more slightly more service on the S68. However, the 7B already uses one bus at a time, and this would result in the addition of one extra bus, since the S68 would not be able to run to/from Yaphank within 30 minutes. At that point, I think it is better to extend the roue (in its entirety) to Center Moriches, since the runtime would be around 50 minutes, giving 10 minutes of layover. Serves more areas with two buses, and there's 30 minutes headways (combined) in Mastic, Shirley, and all the way far out to Center Moriches.

Additionally, those S68's could be rerouted to serve some areas in Shirley that the 7D used to serve (such as the East Yaphank Industrial Center), and not go to Center Moriches (although the routing would be Horseblock, Yaphank, E Main, William Floyd to the Industrial area, and then down William Floyd to either Shirley Mall or William Floyd Plaza). Thinking about the routing that would take, that's one hell of an up-and-down route.

The reason I wanted to do this with the S68 was because combined with the train, it gave at least 90 minute headways to/from Yaphank, which is similar to the S71's frequencies. The S66 is too long to deviate it any further, and since the S68's to Center Moriches run via Bellport, I'm just redistributing the runtime on those trips. I agree that the S71 should be restored, because it is necessary for coverage purposes (it didn't get a lot of riders, but still, it served many places with no alternatives or that no other bus route serves).

So you would like the S66 to operate how it did before at least the mid to late 90's?

If that's the way the S66 operated back then, then yes, more or less.

There can be two LIRR stops. The current Yaphank station can remain, the one near the Industrial Section can be named East Yaphank or North Shirley. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

The good thing is that Conifer Village gets more slightly more service on the S68. However, the 7B already uses one bus at a time, and this would result in the addition of one extra bus, since the S68 would not be able to run to/from Yaphank within 30 minutes. At that point, I think it is better to extend the roue (in its entirety) to Center Moriches, since the runtime would be around 50 minutes, giving 10 minutes of layover. Serves more areas with two buses, and there's 30 minutes headways (combined) in Mastic, Shirley, and all the way far out to Center Moriches.

Additionally, those S68's could be rerouted to serve some areas in Shirley that the 7D used to serve (such as the East Yaphank Industrial Center), and not go to Center Moriches (although the routing would be Horseblock, Yaphank, E Main, William Floyd to the Industrial area, and then down William Floyd to either Shirley Mall or William Floyd Plaza). Thinking about the routing that would take, that's one hell of an up-and-down route.

The reason I wanted to do this with the S68 was because combined with the train, it gave at least 90 minute headways to/from Yaphank, which is similar to the S71's frequencies. The S66 is too long to deviate it any further, and since the S68's to Center Moriches run via Bellport, I'm just redistributing the runtime on those trips. I agree that the S71 should be restored, because it is necessary for coverage purposes (it didn't get a lot of riders, but still, it served many places with no alternatives or that no other bus route serves).

Yeah, that map is basically what I would do with the S68.

I don't think you can get all the way out to Center Moriches in 15 minutes. It takes the S71 10 minutes to get from the County Offices to the Shirley Mall. Center Moriches is 15 minutes from that, so you're talking about a full hour of runtime. Cutting it back to Mastic Road allows you to have a layover without creating a 70 minute headway or anything like that.

Yeah, that map is basically what I would do with the S68.

I don't think you can get all the way out to Center Moriches in 15 minutes. It takes the S71 10 minutes to get from the County Offices to the Shirley Mall. Center Moriches is 15 minutes from that, so you're talking about a full hour of runtime. Cutting it back to Mastic Road allows you to have a layover without creating a 70 minute headway or anything like that.

Theres no spot for a layover near Mastic Road or at least non with space for it. 

It could see it taking 15 minutes to get from Shirley Mall to Center Moriches depending on the traffic, and the time of day. The S68 is allotted ten minutes from the Southport Shopping Center, which isn't that far from the Shirley Mall, to Center Moriches. and when the S68 is on time and there is good traffic on Montauk the S68 seems to be able to make it on time to Center Moriches.

Theres no spot for a layover near Mastic Road or at least non with space for it. 

It could see it taking 15 minutes to get from Shirley Mall to Center Moriches depending on the traffic, and the time of day. The S68 is allotted ten minutes from the Southport Shopping Center, which isn't that far from the Shirley Mall, to Center Moriches. and when the S68 is on time and there is good traffic on Montauk the S68 seems to be able to make it on time to Center Moriches.

Maybe layover on Laura Pizzini Way (or at least use it as a turnaround, and layover at a bus stop on Montauk Highway itself)

If that's the way the S66 operated back then, then yes, more or less.

Sorry this replay is late BM5, I needed to look up your original statement and forgot to when I madethe replay about the Yaphank RR Station on the 13th.

Yes. The S66 use to only traveled via Bellport Villiage. I'm not sure exactly when the by pass runs started, but the 1993 system map doesn't show the S66 bypassing Bellport Villiage so my guess would be somewhere between then and when I moved to the area in 2003. My guess though would be when it was extended to Riverhead because that's when the S66 lost its by pass of Mastic Beach to the S68.

Maybe layover on Laura Pizzini Way (or at least use it as a turnaround, and layover at a bus stop on Montauk Highway itself)

They just built a row of commercial businesses there, not to mention a laying over bus could impeded members of the Mastic Ambulance Company responding to the station as there is an entrance on Laura Pizzini. Laura Pizzini wasn't that wide enough to start with. 

I wouldn't advise on buses laying over on Montauk, since there are 'No parking any time' signs

Edited by mac5689

• 3 months later...

Or that SCT has the money to even do so to start with.

Suffolk can't just throw money it may not have, everything depends on the income of the sales tax, to spend on replacing NICE service. I mean if the income form the sales tax has gone up to the levels it was before like it was said to be happening, and assuming that Suffolk were to budget the enough for Suffolk Transit as they did in the past, and not keep it as it currently is after the October cuts, then maybe there could be a chance. However if that were to happen and they didn't bring back any of the October cuts, then they would have to JUSTIFY how creating a route based on a segment of a route that NICE abandoned is more beneficial to the system then reinstating the routes that were cut or spending the money on other system improvements. 

Taken over part of the n72 is not the same as what SCT did with the S20 as the S20 is an established route that was already served two of the same destinations as the n19. With taken over a part of the n72 they would most likely have to create a whole new route which is completely different.

(From the NICE Bus Random Thread)

You don't necessarily have to create a new route. To do so, you can modify the S25 in order to provide service. See my modified S25 proposal here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mGjKKTOhknsFvXezjsu0nOI9S5s&usp=sharing

The total runtime would be from 44-47 minutes. Under this plan, 4 NB n72 stops and 4 SB n72 stops will be discontinued (and not served by this proposed S25, with two of the stops being 3-4 blocks from a stop that will be served by the S25. 1 SB stop will be moved up one block, and another across the Street (Platt Avenue). The farthest anyone would have to walk is about 18 minutes or 0.8 mile (that's if they need RT 109 & East Drive). A lot more stops are missed on the S25, but compared to the n72, there are less riders. 

They can run the bus every hour, have a 90 minute headway in between for the lunch break. It preserves bus service in West Babylon, and to Farmingdale, and riders in West Babylon have more transfer opportunities (and more direct ones). The downsides are that overall, Farmingdale to Babylon is still going to be more indirect, and that 2 buses are needed for the headway I described above. Regardless, it would be more efficient than starting a new route while still keeping the S25 intact (the S25 doesn't get many riders in the first place).

You could even make the route go to Newsday (which would add 5-6 minutes) to cover the portion cut on the n70 using the same amount of resources (although the 2B already goes in the same general area).

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

You don't necessarily have to create a new route. To do so, you can modify the S25 in order to provide service. See my modified S25 proposal here:

The total runtime would be from 44-47 minutes. Under this plan, 4 NB n72 stops and 4 SB n72 stops will be discontinued (and not served by this proposed S25, with two of the stops being 3-4 blocks from a stop that will be served by the S25. 1 SB stop will be moved up one block, and another across the Street (Platt Avenue). The farthest anyone would have to walk is about 18 minutes or 0.8 mile (that's if they need RT 109 & East Drive). A lot more stops are missed on the S25, but compared to the n72, there are less riders. 

They can run the bus every hour, have a 90 minute headway in between for the lunch break. It preserves bus service in West Babylon, and to Farmingdale, and riders in West Babylon have more transfer opportunities (and more direct ones). The downsides are that overall, Farmingdale to Babylon is still going to be more indirect, and that 2 buses are needed for the headway I described above. Regardless, it would be more efficient than starting a new route while still keeping the S25 intact (the S25 doesn't get many riders in the first place).

You could even make the route go to Newsday (which would add 5-6 minutes) to cover the portion cut on the n70 using the same amount of resources (although the 2B already goes in the same general area).

I'd do something rather different (not that your idea is bad or anything, just a different viewpoint):

I'd restructure the S31.... Start it from Newsday.... Then run it to the college.... Then run it to LIRR Farmingdale....

Then run it down to Conklin, where it would take on the n72 routing towards LIRR Babylon from there

The thing is you would end up isolating a whole neighborhood in West Babylon. If the S35 were to be extended to cover that area (and end by say, Belmont & Essex), I'd be more in favor of it.

I'd do something rather different (not that your idea is bad or anything, just a different viewpoint):

I'd restructure the S31.... Start it from Newsday.... Then run it to the college.... Then run it to LIRR Farmingdale....

Then run it down to Conklin, where it would take on the n72 routing towards LIRR Babylon from there

It would make the S31 a lot more useful, I'll say that much. At least the S25 serves a purpose of getting West Babylon residents to/from Babylon and the GSB Shopping Center. The S31....I mean the 1A already covers North Amityville, and most of the rest of the route is just industrial areas.

I personally think the whole area needs restructuring. I mean, the 1A is a loop, the 1B is a little shuttle, the S25 & S35 loop around different parts of West Babylon, and now even the S20 is a loop. Meanwhile, the real workhorses of the area are the S1 & S33.

With the broken up street grid, I can't really think of much better ways of routing the buses, though. I do see some merit in a proposal Pinepower put out on one of his videos saying the S25 & S35 could be combined into one loop that runs Babylon-GSB-Lindenhurst-Wellwood Avenue-Edison Avenue-Belmont Avenue-Babylon (I would run it in both directions, like the S20). It's still just a bigger loop but at least it accesses more places.

Another alternative is finding a way to send them to Wyandanch to gain more ridership, but flat-out-duplicating the S33 from Five Corners....not too sure about that.