SCT Proposals 2012-2013 Thread

There have been attempts to split the S92 in the past?

There may be direct service in the future one of the south folk villages has passed a deal for a Water Taxi that will go to Greenport, The Villiage of Greenport has to agree to it. If they do it should start running by the end of the year.

That wont be enough. Other people take the S92 as well. The S92 is reliable for most people and if the fare is more then the bus, then I think some people would take it because It would cut down travel time by up to 75%

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would explain why the first S66 bus from Riverhead to Patchouge follows the S68 route.

I wonder where they Short turned in Mastic, and why I mean Matic is only a few miles to Center Moriches.

They short-turned it in Mastic since the S66 was originally operated as a giantic service with multiple branches. After this service was split in two, The short-turns were modified to be what the current S68 form was. The short-turns formerly known as S66 were named S68 and either cut to North Bellport or Extended to Center Moriches. The S66 full time tr4ips were extended to Riverhead because of the S90's schedule. 18 buses to Riverhead just on the S66 now as back then there were only 6 trips on the S90 to Riverhead, each 2.5 hours apart from each other. The S90 buses at the time did a loop routing with on e driver per day operating that route. Now, it has long relay time.

They short-turned it in Mastic since the S66 was originally operated as a giantic service with multiple branches. After this service was split in two, The short-turns were modified to be what the current S68 form was. The short-turns formerly known as S66 were named S68 and either cut to North Bellport or Extended to Center Moriches. The S66 full time tr4ips were extended to Riverhead because of the S90's schedule. 18 buses to Riverhead just on the S66 now as back then there were only 6 trips on the S90 to Riverhead, each 2.5 hours apart from each other. The S90 buses at the time did a loop routing with on e driver per day operating that route. Now, it has long relay time.

The S68 wasn't extended to Center Moriches after the S66 was extended to Riverhead.

That wont be enough. Other people take the S92 as well. The S92 is reliable for most people and if the fare is more then the bus, then I think some people would take it because It would cut down travel time by up to 75%

I never said that it would be enough. The Water Taxi will be partly run by Hampton Jitney so you can probably guess that the price will be higher then the Bus fare.

10A: extend to Greenport RR via Shelter Island

S31: Combine with S25

S69: combine with 3D south of smith haven mall

S94: extend to montauk RR via Edgemere

10A: Depending on the weight limit of the ferries used.

S69: It runs at night after the 3D stops running (As pointed out by Q23 Central Term and the schedules), and the whole point of the route is to serve the stops that it does. (As show by the driver having to change the S69 sign when it gets to each major stop)

10A: I would totally ride that if there was a bridge that connected Shelter Island to the two forks. The only way to get to Shelter Island is by ferry, and I dunno if the bus can go on the ferry and if both are timed to meet each other

S31: I would make the S31 Parts of the S1 and S33 because they arent loop routes

with the loop pattern on the 25, you will have to make it so that the bus actually is a loop. Or it can be a tripper just like the MTA and Bee-Line do. Otherwise, it defeats the S25 purpose.

S69: Well the S69 and 3D both operate at different schedules. The S69 operates between 8:30 and 10:45PM Operating Days and the 3D from 7AM-8:30 pm. The S69 is a late night S60 and S62.Routing.

S94: True that. I would make iot so that the S94 connects with the 10C and the LIRR

Sunrise Coach use to allow its drivers to dead head by using the Shelter Island back before the County took over, So I don't see any reason that buses can't use the ferries now unless of a weight limit.

971 in Jan 2012, or about 41 per weekday. The route should go.

Hey just think, if the S90 wasn't such a bad route to start with, a ton more riders would be using it because the S66 wouldn't have been extended to Riverhead.

S31: I would make the S31 Parts of the S1 and S33 because they arent loop routes

with the loop pattern on the 25, you will have to make it so that the bus actually is a loop. Or it can be a tripper just like the MTA and Bee-Line do. Otherwise, it defeats the S25 purpose.

S69: Well the S69 and 3D both operate at different schedules. The S69 operates between 8:30 and 10:45PM Operating Days and the 3D from 7AM-8:30 pm. The S69 is a late night S60 and S62.Routing.

S31: Not necessarily. You could have the S25 go up on Little East Neck Road, go to SUNY Farmingdale, and then return via Belmont Avenue (and then have the 2B cover the southern part).

Either that, or you could split it, and have the western part serve SUNY Farmingdale, and have the eastern part go to the Heartland Industrial Park (so the S27 doesn't have to serve it). It would also serve the Tanger Outlets and Deer Park LIRR station.

S69: You could split that up as well. Maybe you could have the 3D run over the S62 portion of the route, and then have a couple of S60 trips run from PJS to Smith Haven.

Believe it or not, there are quite a few routes worse than the S90.

In terms of farebox recovery: 10C, 1B, S35, 5A, S31, 10A, 10DE

Ridership: S35, 10A, S69, 10DE, S31

For comparison, S90 recovery is 6.37% overall.

All the 10-series routes really need reforms or reductions.

Weren't those counts taken in January? Because that would explain the 10C, which probably gets more ridership in the summer (obviously, they wouldn't give a route Sunday service if it didn't have the ridership for it)

In any case, for the S35, maybe it could be extended to the Wyandanch LIRR station.

For the 1B, I think you could just eliminate it.

For the 5A, maybe it could be combined with the 7D, assuming there's no restrictions on that part of the William Floyd Parkway. Or combine it with the S76.

For the 10D/E, they could be combined with the S90 and go to Riverhead (providing a backup to the S92)

No idea what to do for the 10A/B.

10C: Not Surprised since there are many fare beaters on that route

1B: Not Surprised either because it copies a lot of Services

S35: Well it has a Similar loop route not far away called the S25

5A: Can be combined with the S76, but they would have to be timed

S31: Not surprised since there are only two friggen round trips a day, one in the AM, on in the PM

10A/D/E: Wee the S92 is close by

Weren't those counts taken in January? Because that would explain the 10C, which probably gets more ridership in the summer (obviously, they wouldn't give a route Sunday service if it didn't have the ridership for it)

Yes they were. But a route should not exist year round if it gets barely any ridership outside of the summer months.

10C: Not Surprised since there are many fare beaters on that route

LOL. Farebeaters out in the Hamptons? :blink:

Yes they were. But a route should not exist year round if it gets barely any ridership outside of the summer months.

I know. I was just throwing that out there.

- The 69, and the "10 family" (guess I'll call it) usage I know nothing about...

- I don't think anything can be done with the 5a.... it fills a void, but still hardly anyone rides it....

If you see 3 riders at any one point on that route, it's had a good day.... so sad....

- The S31 routing I always found to be strange; who wants to ride through pinelawn & ride back like that to get to 5 corners.... I always thought a full fledged route should've been made from it (instead of the 4 runs/day) by having it pan up to 5 towns, and also going inside SUNY farmingdale as well.... I don't feel like drawing a map, so I'll do it this way (in blue, below)...

* from LIRR lindenhurst, hoffman av to south wellwood av, to montauk hwy, great neck rd, regular route to melville rd, loop inside SUNY farmingdale, smith st, wellwood av (which eventually turns into pinelawn rd), half hollow, to end inside 5 towns....

- the 35... send it up to wheatley hgts (that little shopping ctr, where the 2a ends)... regular route from GSB shopping ctr to the southern state... then take the southern state 1 exit over to straight path, where it'd run up straight path to 5 corners... then across edison, up wellwood (via LIRR pinelawn), and across colonial springs rd to wheatley hgts..... this way wellwood has bi-directional service....

- I'd get rid of the 1b portion west of strong av and the 1a portion along dixon east of albany ave.... iono, guess you can rename it the "s30" or whatever... the point is, it would be one route between LIRR lindenhurst & sunrise mall... remaining to serve the residential parts of north amityville, as well as lindenhurst...

edit:

The 20 & the 25 would be left alone....

Edited by B35 via Church

S1:Extend 2 trips to Copiague and added Sunday Service

S20: Combined with S40 AS A Whole route from Massapequa to Patchogue

S23: Retain

S25: New Terminal at SUNY Farmingdale. Former turnaround loop section will be branches

S27: Added Sunday Service

S29:Added Sunday Service

S31: Eliminated, use S1

S33: One Roundtrip added originating from SUNY Farmingdale to Hauppauge and added evening Saturday and Sunday Service

S35 Eliminate off peak service

S40: Add Sunday Service and Combined with S20

S54:Added Sunday Service

S56: Retain

S57: Retain

S58: Add Sunday Service from Lake Grove to Riverhead

S59: Add Sunday Service

S60: Add Sunday Service

S61:Add Sunday Service

S62: Add Sunday Service

S63:Add Sunday Service

S66: Add Sunday Service

S68: Extended to Rivehead via S90 routing after Center Moriches

S69: Retain

S71:Add Sunday Service

S76: Extend to Coram

S90:Eliminated, see S68

S92: Retained, add Sunday Service year round

1A: Renamed S81

1B: Renamed S78

2A: Renamed S2

2B: Renamed S2A

3A/3B: One Loop route from Bay Shore, to Hauppauge, then back to Bay Shore, renamed S3

3C: Renamed S38

3D: Renamed S39

5a: Renamed S5

6A/B: One Route, named S6

7A/7B Patchogue: Combined to one route, renamed S7

7B HELP: Renamed S8

7E/D: One Loop route called S17

8A: Renamed S8

10A: Renamed S30

10B: Renamed S93

10C: Renamed S10 and Combined with S94, Add Sunday Service and use 3 hour headways

10D/E: One route called S69

A S20 and S40 merger would actually work, I've worked out the numbers and all that, the only problems I see is that both routes are currently operated by two different companies (together both companies operate nearly half the system) and I doubt either would like to lose a route and second you would need about six buses to operate the route verses the four need to operate the current S40 and the one that operates the S20.

A 2009 study suggested that the S25 and S35 be merged and the new S25 be extended to SUNY Farmingdale.

In any case, for the S35, maybe it could be extended to the Wyandanch LIRR station.

For the 1B, I think you could just eliminate it.

For the 5A, maybe it could be combined with the 7D, assuming there's no restrictions on that part of the William Floyd Parkway. Or combine it with the S76.

For the 10D/E, they could be combined with the S90 and go to Riverhead (providing a backup to the S92)

No idea what to do for the 10A/B.

A 5A and 7D merger doesn't help 7D riders as most just use it to connect to either the S66 or S71, go to Pathmark, or to take it when it switches over to the 7E. A 7D merger with the 7E would better help the area.

I see you lurking pinepower.... thought you were done with the internet...

------------------

Anyway, for anyone interested, knock ya'selves out.... these are some proposals from SCT back in 2009...

http://pdfcast.org/d...als-in-2009.pdf

^^ Some of these I think are actually good ideas.....

Mac, the proposal in that pdf I linked talks about getting rid of the 31 & the 35, and extending the 25 to whitman mall.... Not sure if this is the study you're referring to.....

Edited by B35 via Church

I see you lurking pinepower.... thought you were done with the internet...

------------------

Anyway, for anyone interested, knock ya'selves out.... these are some proposals from SCT back in 2009...

http://pdfcast.org/d...als-in-2009.pdf

^^ Some of these I think are actually good ideas.....

Mac, the proposal in that pdf I linked talks about getting rid of the 31 & the 35, and extending the 25 to whitman mall.... Not sure if this is the study you're referring to.....

Yeah that is the Study, I thought that it said something about the S25 being extended to Walt Whitman Mall, though I remembered it mentioning SUNY Farmingdale. I don't think that its a good idea, since there are already two routes going from Babylon to Walt Whitman Mall.

I agree some of the ideas were good, though there are a few that I didn't agree with. However since most of the ideas are about expanding service, where in most cases more buses would be needed, which the county probably will never be able to afford none of the proposed plans will probably never become reality.

Yeah that is the Study, I thought that it said something about the S25 being extended to Walt Whitman Mall, though I remembered it mentioning SUNY Farmingdale. I don't think that its a good idea, since there are already two routes going from Babylon to Walt Whitman Mall.

Yeah, it does have it going to SUNY Farmingdale.... to make life easier, here's a screenshot from the pdf about an extended/combined 25:

s25propinfo1.th.gif s25propinfo2.th.gif

I also don't like this combination, because of the reason you brought up (there already being the S23 & the S29 panning from LIRR Babylon to Walt Whitman mall).... as well as, simply put, the routing it takes...

My suggestion for the S90 would be to change the routing and combine with the 10DE. I would discontinue S90 service to Speonk and Center Moriches. I honestly think there needs to be a 2nd route between Hampton Bays and Riverhead, and this is where the S90 comes in. The S90 would travel between Hampton Bays and Riverhead, via Quogue and Westhampton. It would travel down CR 104 to CR 31 (all trips would pass by the airport where there's passenger use there) then down 27a to Mill rd then east on the existing routing. But instead of heading through upper Quogue, the route would continue east along the existing 10E route, and do a loop through Hampton Bays like the 10D does. In summer the bus would cross the bridge to provide service to Ponquogue Beach (good ridership generator).

The S92 needs to be streamlined on the south fork. I'd get rid of the 10B and have certain S92 trips continue straight down 27 instead of the Sag Harbor detour. These trips would also continue straight down CR 39 instead of Southampton Village. There needs to be more frequent service as well on the south fork, which is why there'd be some runs only betw Riverhead and E.Hampton, to provide half hourly service all day Mon-Sat (hourly Sun). This is where the S90 comes in as an alternate for the Hampton Bays - Riverhead riders, which there are ALOT of. This has two purposes, aleviating the crowding on the S92 and filling up empty S90s. Though I will say the S90 isnt always empty, it gets busier in the morning (first run out of Riverhead and last run back to Riverhead).

Then there's the issue of the S66, which really needs help as many of the buses are getting pretty crowded. An idea would be to extend the S68 to Riverhead, rush hours. And to think this route used to end in Center Moriches, but the past couple of times I've been by the County Center in the afternoon I see SRO S66's leave toward Patchogue, and come in often just as packed. The route has become a victim of it's own success. They also need a later bus back from Riverhead, the last one is 6pm and it's packed. They have one that comes in at 6:50pm but it deadheads instead of going back to Patchogue. The S58 also needs a later bus, I've been on the last trip at 5:45pm and sometimes there's ppl standing on that last trip out of Riverhead. There's another one that comes in at 6;25pm, but you guessed it, deadheads back as well. Really stupid waste of resources, driving an empty bus back in the direction of where people need to go. I dont see how much additional cost there would be to run that last bus coming into Riverhead back at 6:45pm, back when it was CBS it would just end in Coram, of course it could probably go farther west now since SBC is in Ronkonkoma (or are they using that yard in Coram now?).

If the S66 operates out of Bay Shore (or even Ronk) I dont see the big deal heading it west as a run instead of DHD. As you can tell, I'm not crazy about deadheads, they are a waste in most instances.

The Water Taxi will be partly run by Hampton Jitney so you can probably guess that the price will be higher then the Bus fare.

Knowing Hampton Jitney they'll want at leats $15 for that ferry. They are the biggest ripoff on the East End, but many folks seem to think they feel special riding it. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it does have it going to SUNY Farmingdale.... to make life easier, here's a screenshot from the pdf about an extended/combined 25:

s25propinfo1.th.gif s25propinfo2.th.gif

I also don't like this combination, because of the reason you brought up (there already being the S23 & the S29 panning from LIRR Babylon to Walt Whitman mall).... as well as, simply put, the routing it takes...

The only part of their planed S25 I like was up to SUNY Farmingdale. Though seeing as the S1 runs almost every half hour, I can see why they wouldn't want the S25 going on S110 (especially if they use two buses and run every hour)

My suggestion for the S90 would be to change the routing and combine with the 10DE. I would discontinue S90 service to Speonk and Center Moriches. I honestly think there needs to be a 2nd route between Hampton Bays and Riverhead, and this is where the S90 comes in. The S90 would travel between Hampton Bays and Riverhead, via Quogue and Westhampton. It would travel down CR 104 to CR 31 (all trips would pass by the airport where there's passenger use there) then down 27a to Mill rd then east on the existing routing. But instead of heading through upper Quogue, the route would continue east along the existing 10E route, and do a loop through Hampton Bays like the 10D does. In summer the bus would cross the bridge to provide service to Ponquogue Beach (good ridership generator).

The S92 needs to be streamlined on the south fork. I'd get rid of the 10B and have certain S92 trips continue straight down 27 instead of the Sag Harbor detour. These trips would also continue straight down CR 39 instead of Southampton Village. There needs to be more frequent service as well on the south fork, which is why there'd be some runs only betw Riverhead and E.Hampton, to provide half hourly service all day Mon-Sat (hourly Sun). This is where the S90 comes in as an alternate for the Hampton Bays - Riverhead riders, which there are ALOT of. This has two purposes, aleviating the crowding on the S92 and filling up empty S90s. Though I will say the S90 isnt always empty, it gets busier in the morning (first run out of Riverhead and last run back to Riverhead).

Then there's the issue of the S66, which really needs help as many of the buses are getting pretty crowded. An idea would be to extend the S68 to Riverhead, rush hours. And to think this route used to end in Center Moriches, but the past couple of times I've been by the County Center in the afternoon I see SRO S66's leave toward Patchogue, and come in often just as packed. The route has become a victim of it's own success. They also need a later bus back from Riverhead, the last one is 6pm and it's packed. They have one that comes in at 6:50pm but it deadheads instead of going back to Patchogue. The S58 also needs a later bus, I've been on the last trip at 5:45pm and sometimes there's ppl standing on that last trip out of Riverhead. There's another one that comes in at 6;25pm, but you guessed it, deadheads back as well. Really stupid waste of resources, driving an empty bus back in the direction of where people need to go. I dont see how much additional cost there would be to run that last bus coming into Riverhead back at 6:45pm, back when it was CBS it would just end in Coram, of course it could probably go farther west now since SBC is in Ronkonkoma (or are they using that yard in Coram now?).

If the S66 operates out of Bay Shore (or even Ronk) I dont see the big deal heading it west as a run instead of DHD. As you can tell, I'm not crazy about deadheads, they are a waste in most instances.

Why cut the S90 from going to Center Moriches if combined with the 10D/E. I mean if such a think happens you could have two buses running which could make the line more reliable and help out the S66. Since most of the bulk of S66 ridership (either way) comes from the Mastic Beach area extending the S68 (which doesn't serve that area) wouldn't help. Also I don't think the S66 is suffering from its own success, I believe that its the fault of those who need the assistance of the government that live in the above mentioned area that is the case.

It would have cost for another driver probably, I mean the more drivers a company needs the more benefits its needs which costs them more which in turn leads them to ask for more money from the county. Its the Benifits that Suffolk said was the main cause of why it now takes more to run Suffolk Transit after 2004 then it did before (ICMC at the time started a 401K, and according to the county so did a few other companies). That is partly why Suffolk now has a budget gap, and why they changed their bidding requirements. (although the companies gave the county the right to use competitive bidding with the last contract, I don't think that went the way the companies planned it however).

When CBS ran the S58 all but one driver drove the whole day. (The S58 driver that left MI at 5 something in the morning was the only driver that got relieved)

Knowing Hampton Jitney they'll want at leats $15 for that ferry. They are the biggest ripoff on the East End, but many folks seem to think they feel special riding it. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure however if they will actually have a ownership role, or if it was said that it would be partly run by them because the plan is for passengers to buy tickets in their ticket office. (Or at least thats the plan for the South Shore Location)

Edited by mac5689

If you see at Table 1, those are the years that they want to propose these services. I'm still waiting for an extended S25 and a combined S20/S40. From that table, some projects are slated to start this year. Maybe the S31 will go Bye- Bye in 2015. I'm surprised they didn't talk about limited stop varients of route, because some can use them (i.e, S1,S60/S76(Whichever One), S92,s54,S27/S33,etc..)

Edited by Q23 Central Term

Nah, No route in suffolk county should have LTD's.... not even the S1.... can't afford to have buses skipping stops out there....

I don't know about a S20/S40 merge; those two routes are better off separate IMO.... The S40 is timed w/ the S66 @ Patchogue (a very common xfer scenario down there w/ riders); merging the 20/40 would screw that up.....

As far as pinepower's idea.... I actually agree with him on moving the S90 from Ctr. Moriches, and I can see there being a need for a supplementary route for the south fork portion of the S92.... My only thing though is (and I pointed this out to him the first time he brought that idea up a couple months back) I still see riders waiting for the S92, over taking an S90 through Quogue to get to Riverhead.....

If you see at Table 1, those are the years that they want to propose these services. I'm still waiting for an extended S25 and a combined S20/S40. From that table, some projects are slated to start this year. Maybe the S31 will go Bye- Bye in 2015. I'm surprised they didn't talk about limited stop varients of route, because some can use them (i.e, S1,S60/S76(Whichever One), S92,s54,S27/S33,etc..)

The county is flat broke, I don't see them making any changes to the system any time in the new future.

Besides that study also mapped out when the county should by new buses (which were a few every year starting in 2010), and yet Suffolk brought more then even the study recommended in one year, and that was only because the buses that they replaced were of age and needed to be replaced.

The county had the study done to see what changes should be done to improve service, nowhere in that study nor mention of it by the county does it say that they will actually do what was recommended.