SCT Proposals 2012-2013 Thread

well if they want to act like brats over it who loses? everybody because both organizations lose riders and those who want to use it have to sit in traffic, and those who would drive anyway have more cars on the road to deal with.

Actucally there have been said that some years SCT ridership has gone up. Now I can't say how many people take SCT to catch the LIRR, though if I had to take a guess I'd say not many. I mean SCT is a system that the "poorest of the poor" take, and I'm sure not that many poor people can afford to travel to trvel to the city.

Its not being a brat if you are paying a tax to someone and your not really reciving anything from it, however if you didn't notice Suffolk was willing to alow the MTA to takeover SCT UNTIL the Payroll tax started to hurt School District and compaines, and the Governments. (Kind of hard to not hate someone who was causing School District to raise their Budgets which causes tax bills to raise, which causes the tax payer to get mad, and a mad taxpayer means a mad voter which could cause a person not to be reelected; and if you haven't notice Politicans only care about being reelected)

When exactly did Unitickets become available for LIB? And why did they play ball with HART and Long Beach then?

As far as metrocards go does the MTA still take money from the NICE or Bee-Line fares that get paid in metrocard?

My guess is that HART played ball since they run to routes in the AM and PM for commuters that take the LIRR, so it would it would be seen as mean to offer said service and not to offer some sort of Uniticket if offered. Though its not suprising that they are doing something diffrent then SCT, seeing as HART was asked if they wanted to merge their system with SCT back in 1980/81 when SCT was created and they said no.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actucally there have been said that some years SCT ridership has gone up. Now I can't say how many people take SCT to catch the LIRR, though if I had to take a guess I'd say not many. I mean SCT is a system that the "poorest of the poor" take, and I'm sure not that many poor people can afford to travel to trvel to the city.

Its not being a brat if you are paying a tax to someone and your not really reciving anything from it, however if you didn't notice Suffolk was willing to alow the MTA to takeover SCT UNTIL the Payroll tax started to hurt School District and compaines, and the Governments. (Kind of hard to not hate someone who was causing School District to raise their Budgets which causes tax bills to raise, which causes the tax payer to get mad, and a mad taxpayer means a mad voter which could cause a person not to be reelected; and if you haven't notice Politicans only care about being reelected)

My guess is that HART played ball since they run to routes in the AM and PM for commuters that take the LIRR, so it would it would be seen as mean to offer said service and not to offer some sort of Uniticket if offered. Though its not suprising that they are doing something diffrent then SCT, seeing as HART was asked if they wanted to merge their system with SCT back in 1980/81 when SCT was created and they said no.

I am starting to know why HART Did not merge with SCT since its a complete hot mess. The reason why ppl dont use the bus to the LIRR IS cause most routes DO NOT meet LIRR trains. So instead of getting well used buses they miss LIRR links then end up EMPTY their loss.

WRONG MTA did have a LIB Uniticket and still does with NICE the extra cost was $28 per month & still is. MTA always had LIB uniticket. I see many N74/73 &sometimes N40&50 riders board with uniticket

I did not know that and that's a good deal. How many rides are allowed? Just to the station and back each day?

Let's think about this, do you really think SCT is gonna reduce their fare by 72% to entice people to ride the LIRR?

(MTA) had been using Nassau County's transit system to entice riders to use its higher price transit system by offering riders a way to/from the station for 28% of the cost. So Nassau County's bus system would receive 28% of its normal fare (times how many riders?) to feed riders into the (MTA)'s cash cow all while the (MTA) screamed "give us more" for the bus system? lmao well played (MTA) well played!

I'd be interested to know what other fares the (MTA) gives a 72% discount on!

Edited by Burrstone

Let's think about this, do you really think SCT is gonna reduce their fare by 72% to entice people to ride the LIRR?

I thought about it, and the only answer I can come up with is no they wouldn't, for many reasons, but I wonder what qjtransitmaster thinks?

The thing is that you do have a lot of people who take the LIRR within LI.

In any case, maybe if they offer the discount, it won't really cost that much more. You may have people who say "I have a car in the driveway, but if the pass is only $28 a month instead of the regular fare, I'll take the bus instead of driving".

I did not know that and that's a good deal. How many rides are allowed? Just to the station and back each day?

(MTA) had been using Nassau County's transit system to entice riders to use its higher price transit system by offering riders a way to/from the station for 28% of the cost. So Nassau County's bus system would receive 28% of its normal fare (times how many riders?) to feed riders into the (MTA)'s cash cow all while the (MTA) screamed "give us more" for the bus system? lmao well played (MTA) well played!

I'd be interested to know what other fares the (MTA) gives a 72% discount on!

There is no limit to bus rides. MTA MNRR has uniticket for several CT bus systems and beeline bus and TZX and many shuttle routes that meet the train at various stations.

I thought about it, and the only answer I can come up with is no they wouldn't, for many reasons, but I wonder what qjtransitmaster thinks?

What is cheaper to operate? FULL bus with 72 or 50% discount for 50+ passengers and bang for tax payer buck Or EMPTY bus with zero discount shitty rush hr service and nobody paying full fare? basically no discount for well nobody on the bus you do the math? Full bus at 50 cent fare vs empty bus with $2 fare? nuff said

You can ignore LIRR feeder demand all you want and continue to run empty buses. Or give the ppl what they will use and be productive and even get more funding from MTA It's outright embarassing to have empty buses in a place where commuter rail ridership is the highest in the nation There is simply no excuse for that.

Suffolk Clipper: Extend service to Riverhead. It's current terminal on exit 63 on the LIE is in the middle of Nowhere, but service from Riverhead to Farmingdale might prove to be succesful, also an extention eastward to Hicksville Would also prove succesful, It would run non stop from Hicksville to Farmingdale, then Current stops to Route 63, then Stop at SCT Headquarters, Splish-Splash (Summers Only), the Tanger Oulets, and the Riverhead R.R Station, and vice versa

Edited by Q23 Central Term

Suffolk Clipper: Extend service to Riverhead. It's current terminal on exit 63 on the LIE is in the middle of Nowhere, but service from Riverhead to Farmingdale might prove to be succesful, also an extention eastward to Hicksville Would also prove succesful, It would run non stop from Hicksville to Farmingdale, then Current stops to Route 63, then Stop at SCT Headquarters, Splish-Splash (Summers Only), the Tanger Oulets, and the Riverhead R.R Station, and vice versa

Why would anyone want to go to SCT headquarters, I mean its barley that, Its HQ is actually the DPW buliding, which is serverly understaffed. My bet is that its just a office that has nobosy there most of the time. (Proof is that I personally know someone that tried to call SCT after 9:00 AM and nobody answered)

Second how would a bus to Hicksville be better when train service to Hicksville is probably better then Train service out east?, Also it's not up to Suffolk to provide service deep into Nassau. (Especially when Nassau doesn't provide service that deep into Suffolk)

In any case, maybe if they offer the discount, it won't really cost that much more. You may have people who say "I have a car in the driveway, but if the pass is only $28 a month instead of the regular fare, I'll take the bus instead of driving".

Suffolk can't afford a discount on fares, The last fare increase was to help fill a then $100 Million budget gap. That said budget gap has gotten larger and the County is in near crises, I mean with the June layoffs the DPW is near depleted, same with some other departments. I mean they nearly increased the fares for SCAT riders. Suffolk also had to change the way they bidded out SCT routes, which caused two operators to lose their contracts and another two companies to join forces and create a company so that they could keep the routes they were operating. The county is even thinking about cutting training time for the county's volunteer Firefighters at the Fire Academy.

My sister drove to College from where she lives for almost a whole semester and a half, and esitmated that even though she drove to college she had spent the same amount of money even if she had taken the bus. (And that is counting the fact that she didn't have clases everyday) and before you ask yes there was a bus she could have taken, and yes she took the bus before she got her car.

Why would anyone want to go to SCT headquarters, I mean its barley that, Its HQ is actually the DPW buliding, which is serverly understaffed. My bet is that its just a office that has nobosy there most of the time. (Proof is that I personally know someone that tried to call SCT after 9:00 AM and nobody answered)

Second how would a bus to Hicksville be better when train service to Hicksville is probably better then Train service out east?, Also it's not up to Suffolk to provide service deep into Nassau. (Especially when Nassau doesn't provide service that deep into Suffolk)

Suffolk can't afford a discount on fares, The last fare increase was to help fill a then $100 Million budget gap. That said budget gap has gotten larger and the County is in near crises, I mean with the June layoffs the DPW is near depleted, same with some other departments. I mean they nearly increased the fares for SCAT riders. Suffolk also had to change the way they bidded out SCT routes, which caused two operators to lose their contracts and another two companies to join forces and create a company so that they could keep the routes they were operating. The county is even thinking about cutting training time for the county's volunteer Firefighters at the Fire Academy.

My sister drove to College from where she lives for almost a whole semester and a half, and esitmated that even though she drove to college she had spent the same amount of money even if she had taken the bus. (And that is counting the fact that she didn't have clases everyday) and before you ask yes there was a bus she could have taken, and yes she took the bus before she got her car.

Well The Yaphank Station is so like near the place, and since the LIRR won't provide the neccasery service out in those eastern towns, why not have bus service using actual coaches to provide a $2.00 fare to Connect to the trains to the city. There are people that travel from the North Forks to The City, and it's a hard commute, since Riverhead is not entirely served by the LIRR, and few trains pass there. This bus would also stop at Splish-Splash, ands many people would like to take it . I would make the clipper also a fare of $3.50 , which is slightly higher, but it could bring in extra revenue, since it would serve some popular places. Now, I would run this bus every 30 minutes rush hours and every hour off Peak. I would also run it on Saturdays. This route would stop directly inside the Tangler Outlet Mall Outside Riverhead, which is a plus also, since the S62 or S58 dont stop inside the mall. This route can actually become a plus if you think about it

IMHO we should be investing in public transit for environmental and economic reasons. Federal funds should be used to lower the cost of the LIRR or they should look into why the LIRR costs so much, people should not have to pay crazy prices to continue to fund ridiculous salaries and pensions. Federal and state funding should go to creating better bus service and building light rail. NY should also look into a state run public transit system. While NJ transit isn't perfect I think NY could learn a lot from them. They do a great job a running commuter bus service through the entire state. Maybe it's time for a the STATE to look into taking over the public transportation system in the lower counties of upstate, NYC, NICE, and SCT.

I also think the people would be supportive of a small increase in sales tax if it was used to support a new reliable transit system.

I read an article showing that younger generations want to be green and take public transportation to school and work but the transportation systems suck so bad out side of metropolitan area's they can't do it. The problem is convincing middle aged (and up) tax payers that public transportation is the way to go.

Well The Yaphank Station is so like near the place, and since the LIRR won't provide the neccasery service out in those eastern towns, why not have bus service using actual coaches to provide a $2.00 fare to Connect to the trains to the city. There are people that travel from the North Forks to The City, and it's a hard commute, since Riverhead is not entirely served by the LIRR, and few trains pass there. This bus would also stop at Splish-Splash, ands many people would like to take it . I would make the clipper also a fare of $3.50 , which is slightly higher, but it could bring in extra revenue, since it would serve some popular places. Now, I would run this bus every 30 minutes rush hours and every hour off Peak. I would also run it on Saturdays. This route would stop directly inside the Tangler Outlet Mall Outside Riverhead, which is a plus also, since the S62 or S58 dont stop inside the mall. This route can actually become a plus if you think about it

You wouldn't get a bus fare to $3.50 in this county, I mean everyone had a fit when they talked about an fare increase because the S92 and 10C fare could have jumped to $2.50 from the $2.00 it was raised to just to support Sunday Service. Instead the Legeslature backed down and gave those two routes a $0.25 fare increase instead of the $0.50 that the rest of the system got. Also I don't see how much extra revenue the county could get as almost nobody takes the route now.

Didn't the MTA want to cut service East of Ronkonkoma because there weren't many people using those stations, why create a bus route that would stop at a station that may or maynot be used by people in the first place?

I don't see a bus going directly into either Tanger or Splish Splash. I do see a need for bus service to Tanger, though like I said I doubt it will ever happen. Also you forgot the 8A, which travels on the south side of Tanger.

I read an article showing that younger generations want to be green and take public transportation to school and work but the transportation systems suck so bad out side of metropolitan area's they can't do it. The problem is convincing middle aged (and up) tax payers that public transportation is the way to go.

I left out that my sister also has a child, so she would have needed a car at some point anyway. (Besides she took a bus ride with her child once, it nearly ended badly)

THE REAL reason why those stations are not used is WHO THE HELL IS GONNA USE A TRAIN THAT RUNS 2 TIMES A DAY!!!! SERVICE SUCKS.

Thats the exact reason why Suffolk's elected officials wanted an MTA takeover of SCT, they also misguidedly thought that had the MTA did so it would have helped get better LIRR service, and also one of the many reasons why THOSE SAME elected officials wanted to repeal the Payroll tax.

Thats the exact reason why Suffolk's elected officials wanted an MTA takeover of SCT, they also misguidedly thought that had the MTA did so it would have helped get better LIRR service, and also one of the many reasons why THOSE SAME elected officials wanted to repeal the Payroll tax.

I have a question, not tongue in cheek, What percentage of folks who live in Suffolk, even know that Suffolk County Transit exists?? Suffolk Clipper, more people have heard of Uzbekistan than the clipper. As progressive as we think we are, we are in the dark ages transit wise, mostly because for some reason folks on Long Island look down their noses at any public transportation. Perhaps a real good PR firm could help??

I have a question, not tongue in cheek, What percentage of folks who live in Suffolk, even know that Suffolk County Transit exists?? Suffolk Clipper, more people have heard of Uzbekistan than the clipper. As progressive as we think we are, we are in the dark ages transit wise, mostly because for some reason folks on Long Island look down their noses at any public transportation. Perhaps a real good PR firm could help??

Not many how do I know ask ppl in suffolk about it you will get a black stare. Very few know it exists I know suffolk routes better than many ppl who live there!!!! Nuff said S58 is a prime example. I am shocked some lines actually get crowded S66,62,61,45,1 basically the rest are shunned. Ohh crappy service aint helping ridership

Thats a good question. I'm not sure if that has been documented, and I don't want to try and put a number on that.

I think the Clipper was set its self up for being as unkown as it is, I mean the history of the route speaks for itself. It started in 1996, three years after being proposed along with a sister route, with up to 12 runs, which was cut to 6 (This was about 1998) because nobody was riding it. And they were using Coach buses. Then due to the low ridership you have 3 runs in the AM and 4 in the PM.

Back around the early 2000's Suffolk did run a ad on Television for Suffolk Transit, though it didn't run for long and wasn't very catchy. I'm not sure why they stoped it.

Back around the early 2000's Suffolk did run a ad on Television for Suffolk Transit, though it didn't run for long and wasn't very catchy. I'm not sure why they stoped it.

I'm sure advertising in this area is very expensive... How much could they have made off the route, and how much could be spent on advertising?

bad marketing is nail in coffin which sealed clipper's fate it could have worked

I doubt an ad that was barely run would be thye demise of the route. Look at BoltBus, was tv advertising the reason they were successful? IMHO, instead od advertising SCT should have went grassroots with the clipper.

bad marketing is nail in coffin which sealed clipper's fate it could have worked

But there was a an article about the possiblity of a route via the LIE in 1993, there was at least one article, that I know of, about the route in 1998. The sole purpose of the S110 are for anyone that works along NYS 110 and those that go to SUNY Farmingdale, it doesn't go anywhere else, so unless you are one of the few that are going that way, there is no reason you would need that bus. The purpose of that bus is the reason it doesn't do well, not bad Marketing. As proof, my mother, who has ridden buses since before Suffolk Transit existed, knew that the S110 existed before I knew. So word of the route was out there, besides it's hard to miss Transit buses running on the HOV lane, and I'm sure before that it was hard to miss Red coach buses that had 'Clipper' written on the side of them.

I'm sure advertising in this area is very expensive... How much could they have made off the route, and how much could be spent on advertising?

I'm not sure the cost of Advertising is, however the Ad wasn't more then a few seconds long so I can't Imagine that the cost was that much. What probably happen was that Suffolk didn't see a big increase in ridership because of the ad so they pulled it.

But there was a an article about the possiblity of a route via the LIE in 1993, there was at least one article, that I know of, about the route in 1998. The sole purpose of the S110 are for anyone that works along NYS 110 and those that go to SUNY Farmingdale, it doesn't go anywhere else, so unless you are one of the few that are going that way, there is no reason you would need that bus. The purpose of that bus is the reason it doesn't do well, not bad Marketing. As proof, my mother, who has ridden buses since before Suffolk Transit existed, knew that the S110 existed before I knew. So word of the route was out there, besides it's hard to miss Transit buses running on the HOV lane, and I'm sure before that it was hard to miss Red coach buses that had 'Clipper' written on the side of them.

I'm not sure the cost of Advertising is, however the Ad wasn't more then a few seconds long so I can't Imagine that the cost was that much. What probably happen was that Suffolk didn't see a big increase in ridership because of the ad so they pulled it.

You do have a point but clipper does go to hauppage you know. The LIRR is also a factor and in 2014 I think the clipper will be done for. as all SCT needs to do it time buses at brentwood at rush rendering S110 powerless against the Strengthened LIRR

You do have a point but clipper does go to hauppage you know. The LIRR is also a factor and in 2014 I think the clipper will be done for. as all SCT needs to do it time buses at brentwood at rush rendering S110 powerless against the Strengthened LIRR

Yeah but its only one time either way. Besides Hauppauge is served by other routes.

Suffolk will never time buses to meet LIRR trains, that I'm almost 100% sure of. The Clipper will probably live on for awhile as the MTA will hike up the fare and the S110 will still be cheaper.

Yeah but its only one time either way. Besides Hauppauge is served by other routes.

Suffolk will never time buses to meet LIRR trains, that I'm almost 100% sure of. The Clipper will probably live on for awhile as the MTA will hike up the fare and the S110 will still be cheaper.

Quote"Suffolk will never time buses to meet LIRR trains" THE REAL REASON WHY PPL DO NOT use suffolk county buses many ppl on city data and On LI I spoke with all say that is one of the main reasons they don't use buses there. That ain't helping ridership ya know ohh on the contrary some lines do meet LIRR trains better than the rest of the useless system S1 is an example S45 as well