C3 Question

VWM

I also have a question about the C3s. Before the C3s, there were the C1s. What were those like? Identical? How many were ordered?

Weren't the C1s prototypes of the C3s that were to be ordered? At least, that's what I thought I read about 'em.

Are you talking about the door indicators or the LED destination sign? The C3 have digital signs for the destination on the sides near the ends of the cars but often times they arent on.

Why aren't they on, mostly?

50% of the time the ASI's on the C3's work! It all depends if the conductor/engineer sets them, or not. As far as the C1's, well LIRR got them acquired from Metro North, and not on loan either. The FL9AC's LIRR got had modified power converters in back because the C1's had a different jumper system than the standard coach would have. Also, C1's had the drawbar in between the married sets, and also had the pin-type coupler the M1/3's have, so couldn't run with any other types of equipment, etc. GP38-2's had only the 259, and 266 modified to couple up to the C1's, and also had a pitch in from time to time the 251, and 269, but could only lead, and not couple up to the coaches because they had the standard type coupler in front, and not the modified type! 3100 was ex-Alco FA Powerpack 608 rebuilt with dual-caterpillar engines because odd cars and even cars required seperate HEP sources. This is also why there was an FL9AC on each end because one powered the B cars, and other powered the A cars. C1's didn't have the Destination readout ASI signs, had the similar door chime (Ring) to the M1/3, had a bar in between the large single pain door window on the side, and was also the first such that had a large type sliding single leaf door that is currently used on all C3, M7, M7A, and M8. Also windows were larger in the C1's and also had differences in the location of the placement in the cab windows, and locations of the end Marker lights to name the many!

Side question, but I've been noticing lately in LIRR and MNRR movies on YouTube from the past few months up till today that the automatic announcements on the M7's are always off. At least up till last year, most of 'em were on. I'm speaking quite a lot of movies with quite a lot of different trains/lines, so it's not just a coïncedence. Does it have a reason that they turn 'em off lately?

Side question, but I've been noticing lately in LIRR and MNRR movies on YouTube from the past few months up till today that the automatic announcements on the M7's are always off. At least up till last year, most of 'em were on. I'm speaking quite a lot of movies with quite a lot of different trains/lines, so it's not just a coïncedence. Does it have a reason that they turn 'em off lately?

Those annoying things are always on on Babylon trains...

Isnt it more likely for them the automated announcements to be working on a Greenport train because it's one car?

Those annoying things are always on on Babylon trains...

Isnt it more likely for them the automated announcements to be working on a Greenport train because it's one car?

When I went to Greenport in 2010, the announcements were off going towards Greenport, on the train back they came on around Mattituck, then went off again past Yaphank.

Last month I was on a Port Jefferson train and they were on for the whole way.

As for M7s, sometimes they are off, I see it a lot on Brooklyn branch trains. I thought I was on an M8 once that malfunctioned but then I realized they don't announce at 125 St and Fordham going northbound.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived