Bus Operator Exam 2613 Questions

Hunterxp1

List #383. Score 83.75% report with the completed paperwork mid nov congrats to all.

Heya guys,

Congrats to ALL!

First I saw Young... then DEE, RTS, Caveman and others...

Then I pulled over and called to my Best Half at home...

I am at 369 (86.25%) with report date at 11/08

I am really HAPPY for all of us!

We all deserved it!

No score in the letter!

What is 1-3 rule anyway?

The 1-3 rule is for every 3 potential bus operators who come in 1 is hired.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heya guys,

Congrats to ALL!

First I saw Young... then DEE, RTS, Caveman and others...

Then I pulled over and called to my Best Half at home...

I am at 369 (86.25%) with report date at 11/08 

I am really HAPPY for all of us!

We all deserved it!

No score in the letter!

What is 1-3 rule anyway?

Yeah man I just want to say congrats to everyone on this new journey, just think about it for a second we all were just looking for our list and test scores we didnt expect a pre employemt letter was gonna come with that!!!! When i saw the letter i was like dam whats all that paper work inside the envelope,it dont that much paper to write  a list# and test score.

I hate to be negative but if there is a 1 in 3 rule then my guess is that we got called early cause we're about to get weeded out. They're just simply going through the process to say we got our $61 shot. In my opinion this 1 in 3 rule that may fall upon qualified candidates should be against labor practices and including the law because it symbolizes discrimination.

MeritGetsPassedOver Say1-in-3RuleIs AbusedbyAgencies ByREUVENBLAU EdwardPricehaspassed thelastthreeAssociateStaff Analystpromotionexams heldsincethemid-1980s.Despitehisimpeccableworkrecordandhightestscores,each timetheresultshavebeen thesame:rejectedwithoutan intervieworanexplanation. Mr.Priceandnumerous otherhighlyqualifiedveteranStaffAnalystsarguedata May4CityCouncilhearing thattheyareproofthatthe city's1-in-3rulemustbe amended.Theycontended thatcandidateswhoareconsideredbutnothiredshould remainontheiragencies'rostersuntilthelistexpires.And eachdepartment,theymaintained,shouldberequiredto interviewthetopthree scorersandexplainwhythey werenotappointed. ThreeStrikesandOut UnderSection61ofstate CivilServiceLaw-widely knownasthe"1-in-3"ruleagenciescanchoosefrom amongthethreehighestscoringeligiblesonalist whenmakingappointments. Anaddendumtotheruleallowsagenciestoremovecandidatesfromfurtherconsiderationaftertheyhavebeen "consideredandnotselected,"or"CNS-ed,"three successivetimes.Candidates whoareknockedoffthelist byoneagencycanstillbeappointedbyanotheragency. TheCouncil'soversight hearingwasscheduledto betterunderstandthehiring andpromotionprocedures underthe1-in-3rule,said CivilServiceandLabor CommitteeChairJosephP Addabbo. "Iamveryconcerned abouttheworkers'frustration,whichcausesalackof productivity,"hesaid."There havebeenallegationsby workersandunionrepresentativesthatoftenqualified andexperiencedworkers havebeendeniedadvancementandpromotions,and somecityagenciesmanipulatethecivilservicelistor the1-in-3rule." Mostdepartmentsdidpromotestaffmemberswho passedtheAssociateStaff AnalystexamheldinJune 2001,testifiedRobertJ. Croghan,chairmanofthe OrganizationofStaffAneitherthespiritortheletter ofthecivilservicelaw,"he claimed. "Ourproblemisthemisuseofdiscretion,"Mr. Croghanargued."Whenthe agencyhasexhaustedalist, individualsshouldbeput backonthelistbeforeprovisionalsarehired." `SomeViolations' TheDepartmentofCitywideAdministrativeServicesauditstheroughly 17,000certificationsitissues eachyeartomakesurethat the1-in-3rulehasbeenfollowed,testifiedDCASDirectorofCertificationStephen Dobrowsky. "Wedofindsometimes thattherehasbeenaviolation,"Mr.Dobrowskyacknowledged."Whatwedoat thatpointisnotifytheagencythattheyhavemadean errorintheappointment processandtheyaredirected torectifyit.Correctiveaction isalwaysinitiated." Mr.Dobrowskydeclinedto namethedepartmentsthat hadbeencitedformultiple violations,butassuredMr. AddabbothatDCASwould provideasummaryoflast year'sauditstotheCouncil. AccordingtotheOSA,the DepartmentofTransportationisthebiggestabuserof I the1-in-3rule.Inall,21 DOTStaffAnalystsfromthe lastlistwere"considered" threetimesbutneverappointed,OSAsaid.There were25provisionalsserving inthattitleasofNovember 2003. "Theagencyadheredtoall civilservicerulesandregulations,and,infact,haspromoted68of89peoplefrom themostrecentlist-ormore thanthree-quarters,"con, tendedDOTspokesmanTom Cocola."Wecompliedfully withthecivilserviceselectionprocess." ButMr.Price,aDOTemployeesince1977,disagreed. "Ihavewatchedtheagency promotepeopleprovisionally whonevertookanexamto cps...+-LEADEH THECIVILEMPLOYEES'WEEKLY RegisteredinU.S.PatentOffice AnIndependentCivilServiceNewspaper Established1897 Vol.CVIII,No.8 ROBERTJ.CROGHAN: 'Discretionmisused.' AssociateStaffAnalystbecausetheywerepersonally closetotheircommissioner, orbelongedtotherightpoliticalgroup,"hecharged."I haveseenotherswhofailed topassthepromotionexam receiveappointmentstojobs forwhich.Icannotevenget aninterview,listornot,despitemyalmostthreedecadesofexperience." NeedAgencyHelp DCASofficialspointedout thatCNS-edcandidatescan asktohavetheirnamesrestoredtotheeligiblelist. "Thedecisiontohonorsucha request,however,ispurely discretionaryonthepartof thatagency,"Mr.Dobrowsky said."Theagencyisnotobligatedtohavetheeligiblerestored." Foraveterancivilservant likeMr.Price,thatoptionis oflittleconsolation."IthinkI havelostenough,forwhateverunknownsinIhave committed;andIwouldlike toseeothersprotectedfrom asimilarfate,'hetestified."I ampresentlytryingtoput mysonthroughcollege,and thislackofpromotionadds tothefinancialsacrifice

This has been already posted

SECTION VII--CERTIFICATION OF ELIGIBLE LISTS AND SELECTION THEREFROM

4.7.1. General Provisions.

(A) The provisions of this section shall apply to the certification of eligible lists by the commissioner of citywide administrative services or, in the case of classes of positions unique to an agency, the certification of eligible lists for such classes by the agency head.

(B) Appointments or promotions shall be made from the established list most nearly appropriate for the position to be filled, as determined by the commissioner of citywide administrative services.

(C) Appointment or promotion from an established eligible list to a position in the competitive class shall be made by the selection of one of the three persons certified by the commissioner of citywide administrative services or the head of the certifying agency, as the case may be, as standing highest on such established list who are qualified and willing to accept such appointment or promotion. Where applicable, such selection shall be made as provided for in paragraph 4.4.12 of these rules.

(D) The rating of each eligible shall be stated in the certification.

(E) The agency head may review the examination application and records of each certified eligible at the office of the department of citywide administrative services. 
  • rep_up.png
  •  
  • rep_down.png
  •  

List #383. Score 83.75% report with the completed paperwork mid nov congrats to all.

The 1-3 rule is for every 3 potential bus operators who come in 1 is hired.

and why is that? because some dont fit all cryteria?

i scored an 82.50 and still didnt recieve anything =/ i think there sending them out in order from highest to lowest scores

and why is that? because some dont fit all cryteria?

I kno all companies have a method of hiring, some are different than others.

Well Idk a mgr in human resources for mta for myself, I jus kno what the ppl on this forum say as I read it.

Idk if its a literal every 3rd candidate is hired or 1 in 3 is the overall ratio of who got hired....

Idk if B/O's even kno

Probably because some ppl did NOT use answer sheets.

jk

lmao i used my answer  sheet so i guess im good LOL !!!!

where in s.i are you from??

Well Idk a mgr in human resources for mta for myself, I jus kno what the ppl on this forum say as I read it.

Idk if its a literal every 3rd candidate is hired or 1 in 3 is the overall ratio of who got hired....

Idk if B/O's even kno

i was reading about 1-3 rule on another forum cause i googled the rule and said it only applies to promotional exams and other saying it applys to all exams including open competitive but they said for every 3 called 2 get hired. i dont even know what to belive

Idk if B/O's even kno

It is 1 of 3 because at the end..plenty come with no permit, fail the drug test, the medical...or the road test.

DO YOU NEED YOUR PERMIT BY THE TIME YOU GO FOR PRE INTERVIEW/ LAB EXAM OR BEFORE YOU START TRAINING

Yes you do need a B permit with passenger endorsment or a B license with the p endorsment if you dont have it go take the test because if you show up to process without it you will not get processed  and will have to wait or worst miss out on the oppurtunity

First of all I dont think you guys understand the 1-3 rule it doesnt mean they will hire 1 out of every 3 people please dont beleive that. I know the 1-3 rule applies to the DCAS test like correction,police officer etc, but the way MTA do they hiring may be different i dont think the rule applies unless you saw it in writing. the 1-3 rule goes by your score for the sole purpose of you to receive a pre employment letter. But since we already received the pre employment letters we do not have worry about that rule because we have our processing papers already.  The 1-3 rule is used for the next group of people  who will be receiving their processing papers not us we already have them. Hope this helps.

lmao i used my answer  sheet so i guess im good LOL !!!!

where in s.i are you from??

I am in Rossville which is few blocks from newly opened Charleston Depot where I am aiming to. :)  

First of all I dont think you guys understand the 1-3 rule it doesnt mean they will hire 1 out of every 3 people please dont beleive that. I know the 1-3 rule applies to the DCAS test like correction,police officer etc, but the way MTA do they hiring may be different i dont think the rule applies unless you saw it in writing. the 1-3 rule goes by your score for the sole purpose of you to receive a pre employment letter. But since we already received the pre employment letters we do not have worry about that rule because we have our processing papers already.  The 1-3 rule is used for the next group of people  who will be receiving their processing papers not us we already have them. Hope this helps.

It does a LOT!

I am in Rossville which is few blocks from newly opened Charleston Depot where I am aiming to. :)  

It does a LOT!

I'm in SI as well... Rosebank to be exact. Hoping I get assigned out here as well. But, a lot of drivers have told me that they can stick you anywhere but all you have to do is put in a transfer out here right away.

I'm in SI as well... Rosebank to be exact. Hoping I get assigned out here as well. But, a lot of drivers have told me that they can stick you anywhere but all you have to do is put in a transfer out here right away.

I lived in Rosebank before for 10 years...

Anyway, like I said previously ALL 4 of the ppl I knew who left to MTA from my SI division (Access-A-Ride) are working right now on SI bus.

im in south beach lol right near you

i still didnt recieve anything in the mail =/ im upset lol im guessing the 1-3 rule is gunna apply to the next group of ppl which i guess i fall under

I am sorry, nycpips,

So, is it nice depots OR last one I want to work at?

I meant Charleston is nice as in the physical appearance of the building. I was told by a few drivers that Charleston & Yukon have the better paying runs but that all of the supervisors/management are there and that they are really a pain in the ass and are not very helpful. Actually over heard 2 drivers saying that yesterday outside the Castleton depot, I live in Port next to Castleton depot. My original plan was to pick one of those 2, maybe I still will. We will probably start out in Queens, lets hope we can start out here.

Everyone is making a fuss about this 1 of 3 rule, it is nonsense. It is just the law of averages, out of every 3, 1 or 2 will mess up by there own doing. Don't do anything wrong and u will be fine

Archived