Bus Operator Exam 2613 Questions

Hunterxp1

Young NYC subway fan thank you for the information I really appreciate it. I just got my CDL license on my own by taking private lessons purposely for this job and at this point I'm just patiently waiting. Any words of advice?

Waiting patiently and want some advice...this is what I have to say:

1) I assume you are getting your CDL Class B License by taking road test in a bus, compared to me since I took it in a tractor trailer 2 months after my short time with the MTA ended. Although the TA buses and your road test vehicle are not 100% the same, they are similar in some ways, like touching all of the seats for the pre-trip, doing the air brake check, etc. Therefore, remember as much as you can. If you can't, make some notes to help you remember the information.

2) Look back at the 422 pages of this topic - it may take a while, but there is a lot of valuable information. Before I went for training in February of 2014, this topic did not have that many pages. Instead of going through the 400+ pages each and every time, which can be time consuming, copy and paste the valuable information in Microsoft Word and print it out so you can look at it over and over again, both on and off the computer. By looking at this off the computer, it will also put less of a strain on your eyes as well. I did this and it did help some-what, although I did not pass the 10-day training session.

3) Prepare yourself for employment processing at 180 Livingston Street. If you only have a Class D License - get the permit with the passenger endorsement. Whether you have a Class D or a Class A or B CDL, make sure your license is clean with no accidents during the past 3 years, unpaid parking tickets, DWI, DUI, etc. They will pull your abstract several times - once or twice at Livingston Street, and then again at Zerega. Also, if you have a criminal record, and you've been to court, bring all necessary documentation.

4) For the medical, know yourself and your medical history really well. If you wear glasses: don't forget to bring them. If you have a medical condition, such as high blood pressure, and you have a 'gut' feeling the TA doctors are going to ask you about it - bring documentation saying that it is under control. This will save you a lot of time and headache in the future. For those who may remember me who got surprisingly diagnosed with muscle spasm in my legs? If not, look back and read what I wrote...trust me, you don't want a repeat of what I had to go through, which was mentally painful.

5) For final processing - make sure you have a list of all of your employers from graduating high school. This will save you time later on.

6) Like I said, I would encourage you to look back at the 400+ pages of information as far as the 10-day training. I was training out of the Flatbush Depot, and my instructor gave us hand-outs** to help us, which I think I posted on this topic/thread somewhere. I would encourage you to look at them just to get used to doing things the "TA" way.

**when I have more time I will look through the 400+ pages and try to "quote" the hand-outs so this way everyone can look at them. 

7) One of the things I did when taking my road test in the tractor-trailer is that I constantly talked, between calling out all hazards, overpasses, etc. Therefore, I would encourage you to constantly talk for the duration you are driving the bus - whether it is checking your mirrors every 3 to 5 seconds, calling out hazards, using forward-planning, etc.

8) Make it your #1 goal to pass the 10-day training session. Just like in high school and/or in college, your Instructor can either make or break you. Don't worry about everything else, like picking depots, etc. Once you pass the 10-day training, you are on probation for a year to begin with.

If anyone has any personal or private questions, do not hesitate to send a private message to whoever - we're all here to help everyone. However, just be patient. Most of us on this site have families, other full-time jobs, etc.

Hopefully this helps.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

t6uzgg.jpg

155jxh1.jpg

1234fsw.jpg

x28lg2.jpg

2dtzlgj.jpg

2vn4zk4.jpg

2m7dgxv.jpg

28lfcr7.jpg

23u8ks7.jpg

244wgtc.jpg

sl70ie.jpg

2dt3sw0.jpg

svt6cp.jpg

30bfuq8.jpg

o02c0z.jpg

Here are the 'hand-outs' I was referring to. Just click on the gray "Spoiler" button.
Quickly, in February of 2014 I was assigned Tier 6 - which means you have to work either 25 years or be 55 years of age in order to get your pension - whichever comes first.

Ok, THANK YOU "YOUNG SUBWAY FAN" SO MUCH FOR GOING IN SUCH DETAIL!

NOW I SEE WHERE IT GOT A LITTLE CONFUSING IN MY PREVIOUS MESSAGE, AT THE TIIME, AFTER MEDICAL, THE WOMEN AT THE FRONT DESK SAID I MAY BE IN THE AUGUST 25TH CLASS BUT I HAD TO TAKE ANOTHER DRUG TEST AND FINAL PROCESSING BEFORE THEY CAN CONFIRM MY SPOT IN THE CLASS. 

FAST FORWARD, I COMPLETED FINAL PROCESSING ON AUGUST 14, FOR BUS COMPANY. I WILL BE IN THE AUGUST 25TH CLASS. ALSO, I GOT INFORMATION REGARDING MY STATUS WITH TA. I WAS TOLD THEY WILL NOT BE CALLING ME FOR TA UNTIL NOVEMBER OR DECEMBER (KEEP IN MIND, I WAS CALLED FOR TA (JULY 3) AND BUS COMPANY (JULY 15) TWO WEEKS APART FOR PROCESSING.) SINCE MY LIST NUMBER FOR TA IS "181XXXXXX" THEY ARE NOT UP TO MY NUMBER YET FOR MEDICAL AND FINAL PROCESSING. I CAN TRAIN WITH BUS COMPANY IN THE MEANTIME. AGAIN, I REALLY WANT TO THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL OF THE GREAT INFORMATION. THIS FORUM IS A GOD SEND, REAL TALK!

did you ever get called to start for the TA bus operator?

Sooooo some time ago I posted that I was held back from drug testing because of a pending summons I had. I resolved it yesterday, not guilty thank God. I have no points. The day I was there (July 3rd 2014) they told me "once you resolve the issue and have the paperwork ready call one of the numbers for a day to come in and proceed". I called and now I have to wait for my list number which is 1818. I'm confused because now I have to wait but I was already there in July. Can someone clear that up for me because I'm lost. O_o

NAH, NOT YET, BUT I DID MY QUALIFICATION TRAINING AT A TA DEPOT, NOW I START MY LINE TRAINING AT ANOTHER TA DEPOT. What is the difference between the qualifications training and line training? Is one of them just so you can get your CDL license?

Hey, Guys!!!!

I qualified today (DAY 7) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats! 

NAH, NOT YET, BUT I DID MY QUALIFICATION TRAINING AT A TA DEPOT, NOW I START MY LINE TRAINING AT ANOTHER TA DEPOT. What is the difference between the qualifications training and line training? Is one of them just so you can get your CDL license?

After you are done with the employment processing @ 180 Livingston Street, you will be sent to Qualifications Training. This is when you will be in a group of 5 people - one Superintendent and 4 students. You will take turns driving the bus in which the Superintendent will show or emphasize how to drive the bus the TA way - such as checking your mirrors every 3 to 5 seconds, reference points when making your left and right turns, how to secure the bus, etc. If you look at post #4216 on page 422 of this thread, I posted some 'hand-outs' to hopefully help everyone going through this. The bottom 2 images are the checklists for the pre-trip inspection, both interior and exterior of the bus, which you will be doing on Days 4 and 7.

Once you pass Qualifications Training (which did not happen with me) you will go back to Zerega to pick your depots. Once you are at your depots, you will be in line training in which you will learn all of the lines, or routes, out of the depot for 4 weeks. It will only be you, a regular Bus Operator (with no trolley brake) and regular day-to-day passengers. If you have your CDL permit, you will be taking your road test during this time as well.

After the line training, you are by yourself.

Hey ladies and Fellas. Before i ask for information ill tell you all a little about me. my list # is 449. yep 449, and i just got qualified for medical, and reporting to Zerega the 22nd to start training.

I was called in Nov 2013, to begin processing. I went down with no CDLB Permit and was sent home. During this time i began the process for the NYPD, which is my dream job, and am a Senior with 2 semesters left for me BS in Criminal J. So once TA sent me home, and NYPD called me i dedicated all of my days off to the process with the PD. Medical, Aglity Psych's etc. Finally when i had free time i went to take the CDL Permit and showed up to livingston in June 14. I was sent home because my # was removed, i went to Centre and had it restored and heard back to report august 25th. Did the pre employment packet and drug test. 2-90 Days, i was called in 3 to report back for medical which was Sept 2nd. And Amazingly i was Qualified and offered the position.

I am to report to Zerega the 22nd! Congrats to all who have qualified already1

I have one question, to all whose who have qualified, and more in particular those who have qualified with NO CDL experience, what can one recommend to me?

I have no seat time in a CDL Vehicle, ive driven box trucks, 14' 16' nothing insane, but nothing with air brakes or as enormous as a city bus.

My uncle drives for MABSTOA 10 Years in, and wants me to ride his route with him to he can give me some advice, and a very close friend who has 5 years on recommended the same, to ride his route in the bronx with him and he can give me some advice as he operates the bus. I will take them up on this offer.

Another friend recommended me to take 1 or 2 lessons from a driving school in a school/coach bus to get some seat time and a feel for an air brake vehicle.

Need some guidance here as i would love to qualify on day 7! I am a driver! i was JR Licensed at 17. Passed D on first attempt, have my Class M. I Enjoy being on the road so i feel pretty good. But just want some advice from you guys!

Hey ladies and Fellas. Before i ask for information ill tell you all a little about me. my list # is 449. yep 449, and i just got qualified for medical, and reporting to Zerega the 22nd to start training.

I was called in Nov 2013, to begin processing. I went down with no CDLB Permit and was sent home. During this time i began the process for the NYPD, which is my dream job, and am a Senior with 2 semesters left for me BS in Criminal J. So once TA sent me home, and NYPD called me i dedicated all of my days off to the process with the PD. Medical, Aglity Psych's etc. Finally when i had free time i went to take the CDL Permit and showed up to livingston in June 14. I was sent home because my # was removed, i went to Centre and had it restored and heard back to report august 25th. Did the pre employment packet and drug test. 2-90 Days, i was called in 3 to report back for medical which was Sept 2nd. And Amazingly i was Qualified and offered the position.

I am to report to Zerega the 22nd! Congrats to all who have qualified already1

Finally it's another training class for this exam.

I have one question, to all whose who have qualified, and more in particular those who have qualified with NO CDL experience, what can one recommend to me?

I have no seat time in a CDL Vehicle, ive driven box trucks, 14' 16' nothing insane, but nothing with air brakes or as enormous as a city bus.

My uncle drives for MABSTOA 10 Years in, and wants me to ride his route with him to he can give me some advice, and a very close friend who has 5 years on recommended the same, to ride his route in the bronx with him and he can give me some advice as he operates the bus. I will take them up on this offer.

Another friend recommended me to take 1 or 2 lessons from a driving school in a school/coach bus to get some seat time and a feel for an air brake vehicle.

Need some guidance here as i would love to qualify on day 7! I am a driver! i was JR Licensed at 17. Passed D on first attempt, have my Class M. I Enjoy being on the road so i feel pretty good. But just want some advice from you guys!

Just to recap my scenario, while I was taking my last two graduate classes @ NYU-Poly (which is not far from 180 Livingston Street), I was called for the first drug test in November of 2013, waited a least a month for the second drug test which took place during finals week. I went to medical on December 31st, however I was placed on medical hold which took about a month to clear, since it was hard to get an appointment with the neurologist. Then I was in the 2/10 class and did not make it on Day 10. My list # was 27*. So, if I had passed the medical on December 31st, I would have had no time for driving school. However, since I had no CDL experience, I should have gotten in one or two lessons.

My advice: Especially if you have little to no experience, I would highly suggest getting some lessons behind the wheel of a bus. Although the TA buses and these ex-school buses which these schools use are different, there are some other things that the Superintendents of the MTA will be looking for, such as checking your mirrors every 3 to 5 seconds, doing the pre-trip properly, calling out all hazards, overpasses, etc. Shortly after the MTA disaster, I got my CDL Class A by passing a road test in a tractor trailer. Although a tractor trailer and a Bus are two different things, I feel that I would have been more prepared if I got my CDL license before my training began.

Finally it's another training class for this exam.

Yeap, i was pretty blown away they swore me in and said, Okay, report to Zerega in 2 weeks to begin training. Short notice caught me off guard. Now im kinda freaking out, i must qualify and pass this road test! Anyone care to share any advice?

Anyone went in wl just the permit and not an ounce of cdl experience?

I Rode wl a relative today, and he took me back to the Quill Depot, pretty cool time on his run, and the guys back at the depot were pretty cool as well. Just seeking all the advice i can to make sure i make it through

Thanks a lot Young;

I will definitely look into a training school, i still have 2 weeks until i start training. I found a school that offered "School Buses and Coach Buses" so im going to give them a call.

I guess sill do it to get a feel of how air brakes work, and get the feeling in being such a long and wide vehicle. My uncles suggestion to not do it was because school buses have the hood, and wheels ahead of them vs city buses wl the wheel behind the driver and no hood, So the technique i would use to make turns etc wouldnt be the same.

But ill definitely do it like i said, just to get a feel for the size, pretrip, and get in the habit of using those mirrors.

Just to recap my scenario, while I was taking my last two graduate classes @ NYU-Poly (which is not far from 180 Livingston Street), I was called for the first drug test in November of 2013, waited a least a month for the second drug test which took place during finals week. I went to medical on December 31st, however I was placed on medical hold which took about a month to clear, since it was hard to get an appointment with the neurologist. Then I was in the 2/10 class and did not make it on Day 10. My list # was 27*. So, if I had passed the medical on December 31st, I would have had no time for driving school. However, since I had no CDL experience, I should have gotten in one or two lessons.

My advice: Especially if you have little to no experience, I would highly suggest getting some lessons behind the wheel of a bus. Although the TA buses and these ex-school buses which these schools use are different, there are some other things that the Superintendents of the MTA will be looking for, such as checking your mirrors every 3 to 5 seconds, doing the pre-trip properly, calling out all hazards, overpasses, etc. Shortly after the MTA disaster, I got my CDL Class A by passing a road test in a tractor trailer. Although a tractor trailer and a Bus are two different things, I feel that I would have been more prepared if I got my CDL license before my training began.

Thanks a lot Young;

I will definitely look into a training school, i still have 2 weeks until i start training. I found a school that offered "School Buses and Coach Buses" so im going to give them a call.

I guess sill do it to get a feel of how air brakes work, and get the feeling in being such a long and wide vehicle. My uncles suggestion to not do it was because school buses have the hood, and wheels ahead of them vs city buses wl the wheel behind the driver and no hood, So the technique i would use to make turns etc wouldnt be the same.

But ill definitely do it like i said, just to get a feel for the size, pretrip, and get in the habit of using those mirrors.

You're welcome. And I would definitely take advantage of both the school buses and the coach buses!!

Yeap, i was pretty blown away they swore me in and said, Okay, report to Zerega in 2 weeks to begin training. Short notice caught me off guard. Now im kinda freaking out, i must qualify and pass this road test! Anyone care to share any advice?

Anyone went in wl just the permit and not an ounce of cdl experience?

I Rode wl a relative today, and he took me back to the Quill Depot, pretty cool time on his run, and the guys back at the depot were pretty cool as well. Just seeking all the advice i can to make sure i make it through

I went into the 10 day training without an ounce of cdl experience, I had my permit, and prior to the training the biggest vehicle I drove was a Chevy Tahoe and I qualified day 7 and passed the road test on the first try. All you need to do is pay attention to the advice and criticism you receive from your superintendent and reflect on it each day. As far as "getting used to the air brakes" that's what days 1-5 are for, you can mess up a little on those days and trust me it's more than enough time to get acclimated with the bus. My two worst days were 1&2 of course because I was still getting used to driving a big vehicle but after I had a pretty big f**k up on day 2, I mounted 4 curbs, I sat down and thought about why it happened and thought about what my superintendent told me I was doing wrong and I got all sats for the rest of my training. So my opinion is to not go and waste the money on the lessons because you'll have more than enough time to get a feel for the bus. Hope that helps

I went into the 10 day training without an ounce of cdl experience, I had my permit, and prior to the training the biggest vehicle I drove was a Chevy Tahoe and I qualified day 7 and passed the road test on the first try. All you need to do is pay attention to the advice and criticism you receive from your superintendent and reflect on it each day. As far as "getting used to the air brakes" that's what days 1-5 are for, you can mess up a little on those days and trust me it's more than enough time to get acclimated with the bus. My two worst days were 1&2 of course because I was still getting used to driving a big vehicle but after I had a pretty big f**k up on day 2, I mounted 4 curbs, I sat down and thought about why it happened and thought about what my superintendent told me I was doing wrong and I got all sats for the rest of my training. So my opinion is to not go and waste the money on the lessons because you'll have more than enough time to get a feel for the bus. Hope that helps

Thanks KIDD, i absolutely HATE my current employer, and theres no options here i must qualify and pass. Thanks for the advice. Ive driven Tahoe's, suburbans, and my dads company has box trucks. So i have a little seat time moving those trucks around. but never used air brakes nor driven a buss. Glad to hear that you qualified! Makes me feel good going in.... Its just a little intimidating, when a few people who passed med and are going to class wl me already have cdl b's and bus experience.

Archived