Bus Operator Exam 2613 Questions

Hunterxp1

When I initially went in November of 2013, I was told that they will contact you between 2 and 90 days.

As far as the # of days for the results to come back...I think it's two and I'll explain why:

When I finally got my medical hold taken care of, I had to take a third drug test, since I took the second one greater than 30 days ago. This took place on January 21st, 2014 (Tuesday). That Thursday, January 23rd, I got another phone call to come in for final processing on Friday, January 24th. At final processing, I was told that a class was going in on January 27th, so I had to wait for the next class starting on 2/10/14. If I had gotten this all taken care of a few days sooner, perhaps I wouldn't have gotten Supt. **** out of the **** Depot. If this was the case, then maybe I would have passed and not gotten a "U" each and every day, including on Days 7, 9 and 10.

**** = For those of you who've been reading this topic since it first started, you know what goes in these spaces. If not, go back to the posts on 2/10/2014 (hint: they start on page 280). I posted my status several times from 2/10/14 to 2/24/14, when I got the "U" on Day 10 and got let go.

On another note, when I was at Zerega on Day Zero, it was nice to see a few other faces from this site, including another member who I actually helped out (don't remember how, but I did and I got a very nice handshake as a result). Looking back, at least that put a smile on my face.

Yea thinking back yo u are right. Livingston told me 2-3 days. SO maybe all it takes was 2 and they just call the next. It sucks you got a rough supt. So far ive done Orientation and Days 1,2 and today was 3. Ive gotten S on every check box all 3 days. Im not sure if that means im in good standings as of now, or my supt is being generous. They give me advice at the end of our shift on what to come in and do better tomorrow, but nothing drastic enough to give me U's. Im a permit driver so im praying i qualify day 7 and get some extra seat time to prepare for that road test.

Whos training out of QV? Saw a bus at Stengel today. Good luck!

Yesterday and today 24th and 25th ive driven into Stengel. Today i pulled a training bus in, and around into a spot at approx 3pm. So if you were there around that time, good chance i brought it in.

btw; im training out of LGA Depot

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I initially went in November of 2013, I was told that they will contact you between 2 and 90 days.

As far as the # of days for the results to come back...I think it's two and I'll explain why:

When I finally got my medical hold taken care of, I had to take a third drug test, since I took the second one greater than 30 days ago. This took place on January 21st, 2014 (Tuesday). That Thursday, January 23rd, I got another phone call to come in for final processing on Friday, January 24th. At final processing, I was told that a class was going in on January 27th, so I had to wait for the next class starting on 2/10/14. If I had gotten this all taken care of a few days sooner, perhaps I wouldn't have gotten Supt. **** out of the **** Depot. If this was the case, then maybe I would have passed and not gotten a "U" each and every day, including on Days 7, 9 and 10.

**** = For those of you who've been reading this topic since it first started, you know what goes in these spaces. If not, go back to the posts on 2/10/2014 (hint: they start on page 280). I posted my status several times from 2/10/14 to 2/24/14, when I got the "U" on Day 10 and got let go.

On another note, when I was at Zerega on Day Zero, it was nice to see a few other faces from this site, including another member who I actually helped out (don't remember how, but I did and I got a very nice handshake as a result). Looking back, at least that put a smile on my face.

young, i went back to your 280 pages. sucks brother. I cant believe your supt was giving everyone U's. My Supt had given all4 of us "S" for the most part. My trainee's each got one small S. One for rough braking, another for not planning moves in advance, and another for not looking at mirrors. Ive made it to day 3, today. with all "S". today all 4 of us made it through with all S. My Supt is rough, not the most friendly, but definitely is there to make us the best operators we can be.

Can you elaborate on some of the "wrong moves" you made on days 7-10? So maybe i can take that with me tomorrow to day 4 and give some of trainees a heads up on what they will not tolerate.

Also to clear up a lot of confusion in my behalf. If i qualify day 7 i get 2 shots at the DMV ? Day 10 is only 1 shot? So what about 8 and 9? Do you keep 2 Chances until you reach day 10?

Thanks in advance brother

young, i went back to your 280 pages. sucks brother. I cant believe your supt was giving everyone U's. My Supt had given all4 of us "S" for the most part. My trainee's each got one small S. One for rough braking, another for not planning moves in advance, and another for not looking at mirrors. Ive made it to day 3, today. with all "S". today all 4 of us made it through with all S. My Supt is rough, not the most friendly, but definitely is there to make us the best operators we can be.

Can you elaborate on some of the "wrong moves" you made on days 7-10? So maybe i can take that with me tomorrow to day 4 and give some of trainees a heads up on what they will not tolerate.

Also to clear up a lot of confusion in my behalf. If i qualify day 7 i get 2 shots at the DMV ? Day 10 is only 1 shot? So what about 8 and 9? Do you keep 2 Chances until you reach day 10?

Thanks in advance brother

So as far as the "wrong moves"~

Half-way into the initial Day 7 training, I got a very bad gut feeling about my instructor/Superintendent. Therefore, that put the icing on the cake for Day 7.

Day 8 is another training day with a new Superintendent to 'hopefully' get your problems/issues rectified - no chance to qualify.

Day 9 - the instructor/Superintendent will take you on a route in Uptown Manhattan. When I did this back in February, we started at the 126th Street Depot with a 'hook' right turn, eventually made our way to Lexington Avenue, went south to 86th Street, made a left and either took 1st, 2nd or 3rd Avenue back (don't exactly recall). While doing a bus stop, some idiot ran out into the street and the instructor Trolley Braked me for almost hitting a pedestrian. Other than that, no problems. I felt that, besides that incident, it was easier to qualify on Day 9 than 7. Also, someone else on this topic said that 70% of the students qualify on Day 9 rather than Day 7.

Day 10 - one of the two Superintendents was the one that gave me the 'U' every day for the first 7 days, so I'm not going to elaborate.

If you qualify on Days 7 or 9, you get 2 chances. If you qualify on Day 10, just one chance. When you drive in the Bronx on Day 7, they will show you part of the road test route - so pay attention!

Good luck!!

So as far as the "wrong moves"~

Half-way into the initial Day 7 training, I got a very bad gut feeling about my instructor/Superintendent. Therefore, that put the icing on the cake for Day 7.

Day 8 is another training day with a new Superintendent to 'hopefully' get your problems/issues rectified - no chance to qualify.

Day 9 - the instructor/Superintendent will take you on a route in Uptown Manhattan. When I did this back in February, we started at the 126th Street Depot with a 'hook' right turn, eventually made our way to Lexington Avenue, went south to 86th Street, made a left and either took 1st, 2nd or 3rd Avenue back (don't exactly recall). While doing a bus stop, some idiot ran out into the street and the instructor Trolley Braked me for almost hitting a pedestrian. Other than that, no problems. I felt that, besides that incident, it was easier to qualify on Day 9 than 7. Also, someone else on this topic said that 70% of the students qualify on Day 9 rather than Day 7.

Day 10 - one of the two Superintendents was the one that gave me the 'U' every day for the first 7 days, so I'm not going to elaborate.

If you qualify on Days 7 or 9, you get 2 chances. If you qualify on Day 10, just one chance. When you drive in the Bronx on Day 7, they will show you part of the road test route - so pay attention!

Good luck!!

Thanks! Im definitely aiming for day 7. I guess i need to start on my Sput. Good Graces, I would have to go to day 9, and have someone decide my faith rather than my supt who has seen me operate safely for 3 days already. I will really start paying close attention to anything they critique now so i can catch it before day 7.

And yes my supt told me if we qualify, dont stress the road test. they wont Q us unless they know were prepared for that test.

All i can do is pray, omw to LGA now for Day 4.Reversing/Parking/EL Pillars.

Thanks! Im definitely aiming for day 7. I guess i need to start on my Sput. Good Graces, I would have to go to day 9, and have someone decide my faith rather than my supt who has seen me operate safely for 3 days already. I will really start paying close attention to anything they critique now so i can catch it before day 7.

And yes my supt told me if we qualify, dont stress the road test. they wont Q us unless they know were prepared for that test.

All i can do is pray, omw to LGA now for Day 4.Reversing/Parking/EL Pillars.

You're welcome.

Good luck!!

Hey, everyone went today to finish up my processing got my start date for oct 20 . Do you think I should spend my time and money to get my CDL and take some bus lesson courses before the 20th to give my self some feel behind a bus wheel ?

It's up to u. If u feel like u need it go take some lessons.

Hey, everyone went today to finish up my processing got my start date for oct 20 . Do you think I should spend my time and money to get my CDL and take some bus lesson courses before the 20th to give my self some feel behind a bus wheel ?

It's up to u. If u feel like u need it go take some lessons.

In the long run it is up to you. Looking back at my experience, just a few lessons I think would have helped me tremendously, not one, but perhaps 2 or 3. Keep in mind also that if you do take a lesson on a former school bus, those vehicles and the TA buses are 2 completely different vehicles. As far as money is concerned, there are several commercial driving schools within the tri-state area, therefore perhaps you can do some homework, call a few of them up, compare prices, and then take it from there.

Truthfully, i took 2 lessons worth in one day. $90hr. 2 hrs for $140. I did the 2 lessons, 2 hours worth. I wish i didnt have. The school bus is different from a city bus. The wheels are up front, have a long overhang, and a hood infront. All that i spent that money for was to feel the airbrakes out. Transit teaches you everything you need to know. starting from starting and securing, to basic turns, tight turns, etc elevating in difficulty.

Would you even be able to get a road test date before the 20th? From what ive heard the test dates usually have long wait times. But if you can squeeze in 2 or 3 lessons and use the bus id say go for it. Best case you get your CDL and all you have to do is qualify by transit. If you fail, you can qualify with transit and take the fail as a learning experience, and when you take the dmv road test again after transit it should be cake for you. i wish i would have gotten my cdl b before i started the process.

You're welcome.

Good luck!!

Today was Day 4. Pillars, backing, and parking. Surprisingly, i did the pillars very smooth first shot. Backed 90 feet first shot and parallel parked twice perfectly. Superintendent told me great things. She even told me book my road test already, im going on Day 5 without a single U. So she must feel confident in me Day7 to qualify if she wants me to book before hand.

Monday is heavy city traffic in manhattan. and tuesday is heavy highway driving. Wednesday is the magic day 7. Fingers crossed

Don't waste your time transit will teach you the way they want you to drive. Just listen to them and you'll be fine. They rather have people w/no experience so you don't have bad habits.

The people who don't make it are people who can't drive a bus. If you are cut out for it you'll make it.

During training don't be scared of the superintendants. Ask them questions they're your teachers they want you to pass. If you feel like you have a weakness tell them you need help with it, they will help you.

Don't be scared/nervous. Seize your opportunity.

Ask them questions they're your teachers they want you to pass.

Really? I didn't get that impression, based on what I went through in February. (Hint: my bad experience starts on page 280 of this topic in case anyone is interested.)

the 26... My list number is 21** I have my CDL license already so I hope that speeds up the process a little

That's fantastic that they are at least 1/2 way through the list! (The original # of eligible people is 3,617.)

They gave me start date , there was something wrong with them at the end of the day and told 15 of us we will have to come back next week to do finger printing and chestnut will call us Monday morning with date and time .. I think there was like an argument with somebody or something I don't no what happend lol

They gave me start date , there was something wrong with them at the end of the day and told 15 of us we will have to come back next week to do finger printing and chestnut will call us Monday morning with date and time .. I think there was like an argument with somebody or something I don't no what happend lol

Oh ok. So u gonna do fingerprints, take a picture for your metrocard, and you going to get sworn in.

What's up everyone what happens on the day of final processing , do we get that mta shield and stuff ?

On the day of final processing, you will only get your photo taken for your Metrocard Pass. You will receive this when you go to Zerega for the first time. (Don't worry, the security guard knows about this and has visitor passes for you until you get the Metrocard).

As far as your Badge and wheelchair key, you will get that at graduation, not only after the 10-day training, but after your 4 weeks of line training at the Depot you 'hopefully' choose. The reason why is because not everyone (including myself) will pass the 10-day training, neither pass the road test or change their minds into the 4 week line training.

Archived