Bus Operator Exam 2613 Questions

Hunterxp1

Good work! That's the entire mind set. Slow and Steady you are guaranteed full control on the road. I know how 14st is with heavy traffic and people crossing the street while the bus is in motion,or Bikes trying to cut in front of you. I use to ride on my pops bus when he was doing the M14 and I drive there sometimes in my car to head from West side to the East side. Hopefully the other two makes it on day 9. Yes I recently got my CDL during the summer. 

okay so youre one step ahead. And yes those bikes are daredevils. They squeeze inbetween you and a truck mid traffic. Especially at lights. Have to check the mirrors before you release the brakes blc theyre squeezing through. I wish i had gotten my CDL before hand. I know i aced the 7 day training, and qualified day 7. But the chance of messing up that road test is there.

Can anyone comment on the DMV road test that took it wl transit? Are they a little lenient wl transit? are they pricks? Is it quick?

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

okay so youre one step ahead. And yes those bikes are daredevils. They squeeze inbetween you and a truck mid traffic. Especially at lights. Have to check the mirrors before you release the brakes blc theyre squeezing through. I wish i had gotten my CDL before hand. I know i aced the 7 day training, and qualified day 7. But the chance of messing up that road test is there.

Can anyone comment on the DMV road test that took it wl transit? Are they a little lenient wl transit? are they pricks? Is it quick?

dude I really think at that it really all depends who the DMV instructor is... I remember taking my road test and I saw people with sanitation taking it too and I saw 2 people fail the road test from it... I felt really bad for them

They are NOT lenient they can screw you too.

dude I really think at that it really all depends who the DMV instructor is... I remember taking my road test and I saw people with sanitation taking it too and I saw 2 people fail the road test from it... I felt really bad for them

Damn that sucks man. After speaking with another superintendent, he told us were not going to be able to do a lot of "transit" things. For example he said wl DMV, you dont take two lanes, you cant really have your 4ft to your right. With DMV you dont cover the right. YOu must stay in one lane, which contradicts what transit teaches. There are a few strategies transit teaches that the dmv wouldnt allow. So if youre not on point, what you think is right, is actually wrong.

Damn that sucks man. After speaking with another superintendent, he told us were not going to be able to do a lot of "transit" things. For example he said wl DMV, you dont take two lanes, you cant really have your 4ft to your right. With DMV you dont cover the right. YOu must stay in one lane, which contradicts what transit teaches. There are a few strategies transit teaches that the dmv wouldnt allow. So if youre not on point, what you think is right, is actually wrong.

That's why I got the CDL license on my own.. It's already stressful enough to drive a 42000 pound vehicle and have to worry about passing the 10 day training through transit... Last thing you need is to have a dmv instructor to make the decision of if you get the job or not... Especially you waited this whole time to get called for the career...

That's why I got the CDL license on my own.. It's already stressful enough to drive a 42000 pound vehicle and have to worry about passing the 10 day training through transit... Last thing you need is to have a dmv instructor to make the decision of if you get the job or not... Especially you waited this whole time to get called for the career...

I didnt get the CDL on my own so i dont want to dwell on that. Im just trying to soak up as much information as i could prior to the road test to make it easier. My Pretip and Airbrake test were 100%. My superintendent said i nailed everything didnt leave anything out. My straight line and parallel parking are also spot on. 

My fear is while being in motion. Although i never got marked down in my 7 day training for wild things. Ive heard some dmv examiners letting somethings slide, and then ive heard of others marking every single thing you do. But ive gotten this far, in RTS training, soon line training, and road test some time after, i cant dwell on it. I must prepare myself for it and thats it.

@OnTwos Don't let that over fear your confidence. Just take some pointers from The superintendent, and like @Newmatt said. That's one of the reason some of us got our license on our own to avoid that extra stress. And who knows you might be lucky that day and get a calm DMV Examiner that's in the good mood.  Ask the superintendent for a few pointers and you should be good.  By the way how was RTS training today?

@OnTwos Don't let that over fear your confidence. Just take some pointers from The superintendent, and like @Newmatt said. That's one of the reason some of us got our license on our own to avoid that extra stress. And who knows you might be lucky that day and get a calm DMV Examiner that's in the good mood.  Ask the superintendent for a few pointers and you should be good.  By the way how was RTS training today?

RTS training wasnt that bad. out of 53 from hire, 27 made it today to RTS training. all 27 of us were on ONE RTS, out of Jamaica, took about 15 minutes each to get a drive in. about 18 of us drove today, the remaining will drive tomorrow and we will learn wheel chair operation for the RTS. RTS is 3 days. Days 8 9 and 10. Day 11 we report back to Zerega.

I spoke to a superintendent today who said, No taking up two lanes, making sure youre in the intersection for a left turn, and asking for permission to cross the double yellow, in the event a car is blocking your path. We just arent allowed to menuvever over the lines without asking. Small things like this, that we didnt have to do during 7 day training, now pop up.

Just a little upset for 7 days we developed what we thought were "good, defensive" habits. but in reality, their sorta illegal lol. or not appropriate for the motor vehicles.

I was honestly surprised to see some of the people driving theses busses. I mean, i understand the RTS are different. their engine brake isnt the same as the hybrid, the bus goes upon releasing the brakes, and the brakes are a little different. but operating the bus isnt much different. I had some people on my bus who still didnt know when to start turning, and were going super wide on turns. RTS also have a huge blind spot on the right side due to them not having a convex, but you have you get used to it

I didnt get the CDL on my own so i dont want to dwell on that. Im just trying to soak up as much information as i could prior to the road test to make it easier. My Pretip and Airbrake test were 100%. My superintendent said i nailed everything didnt leave anything out. My straight line and parallel parking are also spot on.

My fear is while being in motion. Although i never got marked down in my 7 day training for wild things. Ive heard some dmv examiners letting somethings slide, and then ive heard of others marking every single thing you do. But ive gotten this far, in RTS training, soon line training, and road test some time after, i cant dwell on it. I must prepare myself for it and thats it.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope everything works out for you... I'm sure it will.. Ask your superintendent for any pointers for the road test

Got my start date of 10/20 at 7am what type of attire is needed ?

Dress like an bus operator blue shirt (doesn't have to be the exact same blue just blue) navy blue pants etc. You should have it somewhere amongst your paperwork

When I went in for training back in February, some folks were wearing a dark blue shirt, others wore light blue. They said nothing as far as that, as long as it's blue.

Don't forget the black tie as well!

Got my start date of 10/20 at 7am what type of attire is needed ?

Light blue shirt, Navy blue pants, Navy Blue/Black Tie, Black Medium Duty Work Shoes. 

Make sure you are dressed proper, they embarassed one dude who walked in shirt untucked. and another without a tie.

Question, for those who have taken the dmv road test through transit. I just spoke to a buddy of mine who has his CDL.

He said when doing the pretrip we must carry a thread guage to actually check the tires we just cant tell the examiner the front has 4/32 and rear

2/32. But transit didnt inform that.

Also, he said we must chceck the busses suspension. Leaf springs, u bolt, brake chamber etc inside the front wheel. Transit didnt instruct us of this.

And lastly. When getting out of the vehicle to straight back it and parallel park it. you must shut it off and take the keys out. i told him we have no keys he said so atleast power it off. 

Does transit have their own sort of standard for the road test that the dmv allows us to do and not to do certain things.

Question, for those who have taken the dmv road test through transit. I just spoke to a buddy of mine who has his CDL.

He said when doing the pretrip we must carry a thread guage to actually check the tires we just cant tell the examiner the front has 4/32 and rear

Also, he said we must chceck the busses suspension. Leaf springs, u bolt, brake chamber etc inside the front wheel. Transit didnt instruct us of this.

And lastly. When getting out of the vehicle to straight back it and parallel park it. you must shut it off and take the keys out. i told him we have no keys he said so atleast power it off.

Does transit have their own sort of standard for the road test that the dmv allows us to do and not to do certain things.

Trust me you don't have to worry about any of that. Just do what your superintendent teaches you. Your friend didn't get his cdl with mta so his test was different then how yours will be.

And lastly. When getting out of the vehicle to straigoht back it and parallel park it. you must shut it off and take the keys out. i told him we have no keys he said so atleast power it off. 

Thats all BS do what transit told you to do PERIOD!

Trust me you don't have to worry about any of that. Just do what your superintendent teaches you. Your friend didn't get his cdl with mta so his test was different then how yours will be.

Thank god. i was like theres no way i have to shut my bus off, or check all my tires. So ill be in good shape.

Is there anyone who took the road test that can explain the area a little, i know theres an acute left turn under an underpass that we must make, that makes us get onto the expressway. Anything wl the drawbridge by the hutch? and will be do a RR senario? Some people told me its a 45 min test. others said the instructors make you go around the block, and in 15 minutes your back...

All my questions from this point are road test related. I felt great qualifying day 7. But after resigning from my job, theres so much prssure on passing this road test

Thank god. i was like theres no way i have to shut my bus off, or check all my tires. So ill be in good shape.

Is there anyone who took the road test that can explain the area a little, i know theres an acute left turn under an underpass that we must make, that makes us get onto the expressway. Anything wl the drawbridge by the hutch? and will be do a RR senario? Some people told me its a 45 min test. others said the instructors make you go around the block, and in 15 minutes your back...

All my questions from this point are road test related. I felt great qualifying day 7. But after resigning from my job, theres so much prssure on passing this road test

Its about 15 mins total driving.

Thank god. Also quick question. City speed limit compared to what we drive in transit. He also mentioned on the highway instructor kept making him speed up till about 45-50. and in the city he was forced to be doing 30 ish in the right lane. My superintendent told us 35-40 on the expressway stay to the right and were fine, and in the city she didnt want us above 20. Is this safe for my road test or will he mark me for impeding traffic if im doing 20 mph in the city and 40 on the expressway. Granted he was in a Big Box truck, were in city busses

That was moreless my qualifying run on day 7. After pretriping and brake test, backing and parking took a few minutes, a few turns around the neighborhood, onto the expessway for an exit. Back to the starting point.

Thanks to EVERYONE for answering all my questions. This forum is awesome. I hope i can be useful to many B/O in the months to come

Approximately 2 months after failing with NYC Transit, I wanted to take advantage of the permit I had, so I went to a local driving school, took some lessons, took the road test and passed! When I did the road test on a tractor-trailer (since I had a Class A Permit with a 'P' endorsement), I did not carry a thread gauge. I just told the examiner about the 4/32 or 2/32. Even with Transit, no thread gauge.

As far as checking the springs, u bolt, brake chamber - whether on a tractor trailer or a bus, you just have to identify them and call them out. You are not physically checking them in which you would wind up with dirt and grease on your clothes.

As far as getting out of the vehicle to parallel park it, you just have to make sure the vehicle (tractor-trailer or bus) is secured. My driving instructor for the tractor trailer said nothing about turning the engine off and taking the key out of the vehicle. 

From what I remember back in February from Days 7 & 8 which were in the Bronx, there is no RR scenario. As far as the drawbridge, you have to announce something similar to "Unrestricted drawbridge, my bus weighs (specific #) pounds." If you look back within the 400+ pages of this topic, my instructor let us borrow a customized book he made which contains a lot of valuable information...I posted the pages at least twice and the specific # is on one of those pages.

Thank god. Also quick question. City speed limit compared to what we drive in transit. He also mentioned on the highway instructor kept making him speed up till about 45-50. and in the city he was forced to be doing 30 ish in the right lane. My superintendent told us 35-40 on the expressway stay to the right and were fine, and in the city she didnt want us above 20. Is this safe for my road test or will he mark me for impeding traffic if im doing 20 mph in the city and 40 on the expressway. Granted he was in a Big Box truck, were in city busses

You will be taking the road test in the Bronx and your starting point is down the block from Zerega...therefore, if you do not go over 30 mph on the local streets, you should be fine.

Approximately 2 months after failing with NYC Transit, I wanted to take advantage of the permit I had, so I went to a local driving school, took some lessons, took the road test and passed! When I did the road test on a tractor-trailer (since I had a Class A Permit with a 'P' endorsement), I did not carry a thread gauge. I just told the examiner about the 4/32 or 2/32. Even with Transit, no thread gauge.

As far as checking the springs, u bolt, brake chamber - whether on a tractor trailer or a bus, you just have to identify them and call them out. You are not physically checking them in which you would wind up with dirt and grease on your clothes.

As far as getting out of the vehicle to parallel park it, you just have to make sure the vehicle (tractor-trailer or bus) is secured. My driving instructor for the tractor trailer said nothing about turning the engine off and taking the key out of the vehicle. 

From what I remember back in February from Days 7 & 8 which were in the Bronx, there is no RR scenario. As far as the drawbridge, you have to announce something similar to "Unrestricted drawbridge, my bus weighs (specific #) pounds." If you look back within the 400+ pages of this topic, my instructor let us borrow a customized book he made which contains a lot of valuable information...I posted the pages at least twice and the specific # is on one of those pages.

My superintendent never chocked the wheel and showed us any suspension components. I know them from a lesson i took in a school bus, but she never mentioned to us checking those things. Not sure if theyre required to be checked on a transit bus.

and yes, we've driven over the draw bridge during day 1-7. "Approaching draw bridge, No weight restriction signs, My bus weights 42,540 (Hybrid). Im going to proceed over with caution. Is how we learned to approach it. and Yes i didnt do a RR senario but wonder is dmv makes shitup

Archived