Bus Operator Exam 2613 Questions

Hunterxp1

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been a bus operator for 14+ years.. I definitely think that anyone on this list who hasn't yet been called for pre-employment should work on getting their CDL license. Only because it's less to Worry about.TA doesn't care if you qualify with only your permit, they will let you go in a minute if you fail the dmv road test, there are thousands of other candidates.Then you can't re-apply for a bus operator position for 4 years. So yes, get your license first if possible. Good luck to all.. Be safe!

......Then you can't re-apply for a bus operator position for 4 years. So yes, get your license first if possible. Good luck to all.. Be safe!

When I went for training in 2014 and failed, they told me I had to wait five [5] years. Fortunately, I took the B/O 4600 test and now I only have to wait 3 years and 9 more months, and the B/O 4600 list is not even produced yet!

As far as the license, I agree, depending on your financial situation. Even if you don't make it with the TA, there's job opportunities out there between a school bus, paratransit, driving a bus at the airport, driving a small truck, etc.

The people I know who failed they wanted the job really bad hell they needed the job. But when it comes to the road test it all depends on who you get and how your nerves play until affect they where in line training for almost two weeks when they failed so they know how to drive a bus, but sometimes your nerves do damage to you especially when it's all on the line. IF your not going to get your Cdl license before hand I think it's a mistake it's added stress you don't need but if you decide not to get it don't resign from your old job until you pass the road test. Not having a job to go back to will make you even more nervous about it

U guys r scaring me with this road test talk Im

Kicking myself in the butt it's to late for me to get my license now but hopefully I pick it up quick

Don't be scared Yankees just stay focus and don't be nervous if you get pass the 10 days training you can pass the road test

Road test is a piece of cake it's like I said on one of my last post. Show that u are confident call out ur speed limits and hazards. Always get out if your going to back up and listen to the dmv examiner.

The problem is ed that your brain literally does things to you when you unexpectedly get nervous. You all of sudden forget things you easily remember when your not nervous. I remember when i took my regular road test for my 1st license, i was already a pro driving and was driving a car for like 4 months with my permit. I knew the what to expect for my road test but for some reason when i took the road test i got really nervous for no reason. I didnt use my directional to pull out the curb and hit the sidewalk while parallel parking (something i never do). I got lucky and the instructor passed me because she knew i knew how to drive but a really failed that test. Not everybody is that lucky.

The problem is ed that your brain literally does things to you when you unexpectedly get nervous. You all of sudden forget things you easily remember when your not nervous. I remember when i took my regular road test for my 1st license, i was already a pro driving and was driving a car for like 4 months with my permit. I knew the what to expect for my road test but for some reason when i took the road test i got really nervous for no reason. I didnt use my directional to pull out the curb and hit the sidewalk while parallel parking (something i never do). I got lucky and the instructor passed me because she knew i knew how to drive but a really failed that test. Not everybody is that lucky.

I agree...I remember something very familiar when taking my road test for the first time in a regular automobile. Fortunately, the driving school I went to for my CDL went harder on me during the lessons and I was able to take my road test in a tractor trailer and only get 20 points taken off. Not bad!

(If you would like more information on the driving school and instructor I had, send me a private message.)

On my CDL road test i got nervous again (after my instructor telling me im one of the best students he ever had) and for some stupid reason me nervous i forgot to turn the switch on on my air brakes test and could of easily failed right there. The dmv person let it slide because she problably saw that it was an honest bone headed mistake and a real good person lol. When you ad the MTA pressure, needing the money, and not being able to apply for 5 years o can see how somebody could F up

Road test is a piece of cake it's like I said on one of my last post. Show that u are confident call out ur speed limits and hazards. Always get out if your going to back up and listen to the dmv examiner.

I dont know if road test is a piece of cake but its not bad..you definetly dont want to lose silly points like pre trip. For me i didnt have to do the inside. But i lost point for blocking the driveway at zerega. And also for parking. Too much maneuver. But people fails for things that they know but get nervous on. Like a friend of mine failed because the instructor said okay let me out and back up 100 feet. My friend forgot to get out the seat. Automatic fail. But another guy told me he forgot to get out but he didnt fail. Thats why it all depends on the day and the instructor testing. Good luck everyone

for those on the job now, how are you liking it? how is your depot? any issues with customers being irate? had any incident where there was a MTA inspector on your bus and call you out on a mistake? im thinking of reinstating my name for 2613 and im also waiting for T/O but the list is moving very slow..i have my CDL permit and was hired on 2014 and went as far as taking the drug test ..after the drug test i rcvd a call back saying that due to a DUI in aug 2010 i have to reinstate in aug 2015

for those on the job now, how are you liking it? how is your depot? any issues with customers being irate? had any incident where there was a MTA inspector on your bus and call you out on a mistake? im thinking of reinstating my name for 2613 and im also waiting for T/O but the list is moving very slow..i have my CDL permit and was hired on 2014 and went as far as taking the drug test ..after the drug test i rcvd a call back saying that due to a DUI in aug 2010 i have to reinstate in aug 2015

I would definitely reinstate your name! If anything, after your probation year is over, you can take a promotion test to become a Train Operator, compared to a Open Competitive exam. The agency hires from the promotion exam first before the Open Competitive exam.

Just a clarification, you were called but not yet hired.

Keep a close eye on this thread, I do believe that the list will still be active in August given the activity here. You should definitely have a chance. 

2613 list is good until 10/31/17... If youre put on hold or if you have any other issues you have until then to clear them up, just remember the longer you take the more seniority you lose. So You have plenty of time to clear your license.

@Tprashad0719, I'm in a similar situation.

Waiting to hear from T/O and deferred my movement on the b/o 2613 list after being called (I wanted to see what happened on t/o list, and wanted to wait out the school year since I watch my kids during the day).

If the t/o list doesn't move up soon I'll reinstate on b/o so I can get started with my career at the MTA.

i spoke to Mrs Rivera, july 27th has a large class for the T/O and my list number is 413x..she said i should get a letter in the mail late in the fall ..maybe sept or oct..i might just wait for that letter first before i make a move as a B/O..as for you ..you will get a letter from T/O way before me so i guess we just have to be patient..both are great positions but i rather the t/o position..but hey atleast we have a choice

2613 list is good until 10/31/17... If youre put on hold or if you have any other issues you have until then to clear them up, just remember the longer you take the more seniority you lose. So You have plenty of time to clear your license.

There are about 900 candidates remaining on this list, not including anyone who may reinstate. We have someone in the 2700's who has been called for a second drug test. I personally see this list wrapping up no later than end of year, if not sooner as not everyone will want or be able to accept the position.

i spoke to Mrs Rivera, july 27th has a large class for the T/O and my list number is 413x..she said i should get a letter in the mail late in the fall ..maybe sept or oct..i might just wait for that letter first before i make a move as a B/O..as for you ..you will get a letter from T/O way before me so i guess we just have to be patient..both are great positions but i rather the t/o position..but hey atleast we have a choice

Tprarashad0719, this is important news. I would encourage you to share this on the Train Operator thread [Thread: Train Operator Exam 8098 DCAS notice of result letter arrived] as not everyone reads all the topics. Best of luck.

There are about 900 candidates remaining on this list, not including anyone who may reinstate. We have someone in the 2700's who has been called for a second drug test. I personally see this list wrapping up no later than end of year, if not sooner as not everyone will want or be able to accept the position.

I would say by spring 2016 it will be done. They stop hiring during the system pick and u figure they have 2 classes per.month of a little less than 100 ppl.

Hi everyone....I've been lurking in this particular forum since its creation in June 2012. List number between 150-200...got the call November 2013 but deferred. Reinstated myself on the list in September and my appointment date was 12.29. Graduation day was 2.11. I have some observations and feedback about the training process and first 4 weeks on the job I'd like to share: 

I'll begin with the Qualification process: I think it should encompass the entire 10 days. For those who qualify on Day 7, the 3 days spent packed on an RTS bus with 30 other students and one chance to drive for 20 minutes would be better spent on the qualification buses, with the opportunity for greater instruction with the 3 other students qualifying with you. Those 3 RTS days were a waste...and easily the most unpleasant part of training.

Line training should be overhauled as well. I don't think it's in our best interests to line train with drivers with the highest seniority. Nearly everyone I trained with had 20-25 years of experience and quite frankly, had developed some really bad driving habits. They were focused on retirement and often lacked patience. We were pressured to keep the time points, which can be detrimental for really new drivers. There's only so much "Do as i say but not as I do" before your driver trainer loses credibility. In my opinion, in line training new drivers should be partnered with drivers with 3-5 years seniority. These are often the savviest and safest drivers: they've passed probation but are still new enough on the job to be able to relate to rookies. I believe they are more inclined to remember, follow & demonstrate the safer driving skills rookies need to adopt in order to be successful.

I don't know if it's like this in every depot, but in mine (I won't reveal it) we are faced with a lack of buses that seriously impacts the service we provide. On two days last week, I counted 30 drivers waiting around for a bus to begin their morning/afternoon runs. These drivers pulled out anywhere from 20-90 minutes late. This is unacceptable. I would estimate we have about 25-30 buses "out of service" for maintenance at any given time. Why aren't the buses better maintained?? 

Speaking of maintaining buses, the driver's compartment in every bus I've been assigned to is filthy...nearly unsanitary. I've never seen anyone clean the steering wheel, farebox and dashboard on any bus in my depot or even anyone to whom that job function can be attributed. My first week or two in line training I caught multiple colds, everyone who line trained in our depot did, until our immune systems finally adjusted. Wash your hands as soon as you can after you're out of the driver's seat and carry and use hand sanitizer. Try not to touch your eyes, nose, or mouth with your hands while you are driving. Trust me.

I'll add more in another post...

Today (May 29) makes 5 months. It's been an experience. I'm a former Greyhound driver so I was familiar with operating a bus, which has worked in my favor. There were 24 of us that were assigned to my depot (7 initially for line training and then the other 17 were drafted after graduation because the depot was so short of manpower.) Several operators have had minor collisions already. 3 were terminated, just in the last two weeks. One had too many customer complaints and another was habitually late and had an altercation with a dispatcher. The third ran 2 or 3 red lights (this is all second/thirdhand info, unofficial). 

Passengers and NYC traffic are the greatest sources of frustration. I have to remind myself that this is the employment position I wanted and worked so hard to achieve. I've come to realize that this job is primarily a customer service position: It's all about managing your frustration with traffic, delays, and passenger behavior while remembering that your responsibility is to provide patient and courteous service. I'm reminding myself to smile and put myself in the mindset of serving our passengers. It is helping with much of the frustration. I don't want to dread coming to work. It's way too soon for that. So I'm going to keep smiling. 

^ thanks for this information..this help me a lot..it just sucks that you have to leave your job and dont know if this B/O position will ever work out ..i guess after the first year you should be ok?

Yes, after the first year, you are usually off probation, which means that you're protected by the union so then your job is secure.

As far as leaving your job, they recommend that you take some vacation time, if it's available. Otherwise, like in my case, I am a seasonal employee on a farm** from Easter to Thanksgiving, so when I went to training during February of 2014 and failed, it wasn't a big deal for me.

**In case you are wondering, my employer is Green Meadows Farm (http://greenmeadowsfarmny.com/). We are located right next door to the Queens County Farm Museum (http://queensfarm.org/).

Hi everyone....I've been lurking in this particular forum since its creation in June 2012. List number between 150-200...got the call November 2013 but deferred. Reinstated myself on the list in September and my appointment date was 12.29. Graduation day was 2.11. I have some observations and feedback about the training process and first 4 weeks on the job I'd like to share: 

I'll begin with the Qualification process: I think it should encompass the entire 10 days. For those who qualify on Day 7, the 3 days spent packed on an RTS bus with 30 other students and one chance to drive for 20 minutes would be better spent on the qualification buses, with the opportunity for greater instruction with the 3 other students qualifying with you. Those 3 RTS days were a waste...and easily the most unpleasant part of training.

Line training should be overhauled as well. I don't think it's in our best interests to line train with drivers with the highest seniority. Nearly everyone I trained with had 20-25 years of experience and quite frankly, had developed some really bad driving habits. They were focused on retirement and often lacked patience. We were pressured to keep the time points, which can be detrimental for really new drivers. There's only so much "Do as i say but not as I do" before your driver trainer loses credibility. In my opinion, in line training new drivers should be partnered with drivers with 3-5 years seniority. These are often the savviest and safest drivers: they've passed probation but are still new enough on the job to be able to relate to rookies. I believe they are more inclined to remember, follow & demonstrate the safer driving skills rookies need to adopt in order to be successful.

I don't know if it's like this in every depot, but in mine (I won't reveal it) we are faced with a lack of buses that seriously impacts the service we provide. On two days last week, I counted 30 drivers waiting around for a bus to begin their morning/afternoon runs. These drivers pulled out anywhere from 20-90 minutes late. This is unacceptable. I would estimate we have about 25-30 buses "out of service" for maintenance at any given time. Why aren't the buses better maintained?? 

Speaking of maintaining buses, the driver's compartment in every bus I've been assigned to is filthy...nearly unsanitary. I've never seen anyone clean the steering wheel, farebox and dashboard on any bus in my depot or even anyone to whom that job function can be attributed. My first week or two in line training I caught multiple colds, everyone who line trained in our depot did, until our immune systems finally adjusted. Wash your hands as soon as you can after you're out of the driver's seat and carry and use hand sanitizer. Try not to touch your eyes, nose, or mouth with your hands while you are driving. Trust me.

I'll add more in another post...

totally agree about the RTS training. I'm so glad I passed on day 9 and not 7 because of this. Brutal sitting on the RTS killing time. 

As far as being paired with drivers with less time on I can agree. But at the same time line training with a senior driver  is when you will get your fattest checks for the first 1-2 years.

I think being short buses happens at most depots, happens at mine. I don't mind - why should you? You blow trips - get put into a place. You can't beat that. You are getting paid regardless.One time It took so long to get a bus in the morning that I blew my first half. Went back in the depot and chilled. Less time on the road is a bonus for all. 

As far as the dirty buses go. If it a bothers you that much knock the bus. Write it up and tell them you are not taking it out. We are required to get a clean and safe bus. 

I have never seen a driver use the drivers compartment lol. I put my stuff behind my seat. I use it during line training bc I had no other place to put my belongings, but that was it. 

There are only so many lifts and mechanics to take care of the buses. They definitely do there best to put buses out on time and at or near 100% rate because management gets bonuses based on how they do. 

for me - I hope they don't have a bus for me. 

@Tprashad0719, I'm in a similar situation.

Waiting to hear from T/O and deferred my movement on the b/o 2613 list after being called (I wanted to see what happened on t/o list, and wanted to wait out the school year since I watch my kids during the day).

If the t/o list doesn't move up soon I'll reinstate on b/o so I can get started with my career at the MTA.

for you and tprashad I would definitely not wait. All the time you are missing right now could be going towards retirement - might not be a big deal but when you have 23 yrs on and need 2 more yrs , u will look back like damn I would have 25 right now. 

B/O is better then T/O for what it is worth. Talked to many T/O theyall say the same thing. T/o get it the worse, B/O get it 2nd worse lol

Archived