Bus Operator Exam 2613 Questions

Hunterxp1

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, just curious...the list is up to 2700 names...what was the amount of wrong answers on the exam to get that list number? With a 2700 list number it sounds like maybe 1 or 2 wrong would be the max on the open competitive.

What you would have to do in order to obtain this answer is to look at the list (http://thechiefleader.com/news/civil_service/bus-operator-list-established/article_787e9026-419a-11e3-8436-0019bb30f31a.html), see what the scores are for those people who have a list number of 2700 (or around there), do some math, since the exam was 80 questions, and take it from there.

Just to let you know, when I took the test, out of 80 questions, I got nine wrong in which I got a score of 88.75% with a list # of 27* (which is anywhere from 270 to 279).

wow..that's great SubwayFan....9 questions wrong out of 80 seems on first glance like a lot of questions wrong..but with a list number of 27* that's excellent!

This pretty much clearified what I was asking, thanks man. Only asked because I really want this job and I was unsure if 4 questions wrong on 4600 which fetch me a chance...

Guys i dont think anyone will not get a call once they pass the BO exam. Think about it. Every 2 weeks there's a class of a little over 60 people. For the last 2-3 years thats how it has been. So many people retiring. So many people declining the offer, people not passing medical, not having cdl permit, not pasing probation etc. There's about 15 depots new hires go to. And the list you are under is good for 4 years

wow..that's great SubwayFan....9 questions wrong out of 80 seems on first glance like a lot of questions wrong..but with a list number of 27* that's excellent!

This pretty much clearified what I was asking, thanks man. Only asked because I really want this job and I was unsure if 4 questions wrong on 4600 which fetch me a chance...

You're welcome! I also got 4 wrong when I took the B/O 4600 exam, with a score of 93.33%. This would definitely fetch both of us a chance, we just have to be patient and wait for the list to come out. Generally speaking, those folks who got 3 or fewer questions incorrect would get called first. I say generally because you have to keep in mind those folks who got extra points for being a veteran and/or for those folks who had a parent or sibling pass away on 9/11/01, etc.

Guys i dont think anyone will not get a call once they pass the BO exam. Think about it. Every 2 weeks there's a class of a little over 60 people. For the last 2-3 years thats how it has been. So many people retiring. So many people declining the offer, people not passing medical, not having cdl permit, not pasing probation etc. There's about 15 depots new hires go to. And the list you are under is good for 4 years

I agree for the most part, like I said before, it is just a matter of time. We'll know more once the list is established.

Say for example the list for B/O exam 4600 consists of 10,000 candidates and NYC Transit goes through 2,000 candidates per year (argument sake). This would mean that in four years, NYC Transit would have gone through 8,000 people and the last 2,000 candidates may not get called, unless the list is extended to five years.

Again, this is just an exampleIf the list consists of about 7,200 people and NYC Transit goes through 1,800 candidates per year, the same as B/O exam 2613, then chances are that everyone will get called.

What would disqualify you after doing medical?

Well, from my experience, there are several things which would temporarily disqualify you, which would put you on Medical Hold, in which you need clearance from your doctor - examples are high/low blood pressure (between 110/70 and 130/90 is normal), muscle spasm, diabetes, not passing the vision test, etc. If this is the case, then you have the opportunity to come back with a letter from your doctor stating you are okay. If you come back with proper documentation, you will be fine and move on.

As far as what would permanently disqualify you - I honestly don't know, but folks, just use common sense and take care of yourselves.

SubwayFan, if you don't mind me asking, since you took 4600 I presume you were not hired from 2613? What happened?

Also, ive been doing a ton of research on what its like to be a Bus Operator in NYC(I am serious in possibility making this a life long career), and no offense to those drivers already on the job but, how can being a BO possibly be THAT stressful? Ive seen guys/girls on the job say BOs don't live long due to all the stresses of the job...and how its one of the most stressful jobs in NYC..

I just don't understand this? Obviously I am not on the job and I probably have no idea what I am talking about, but observing other BOs working it seems all they have to do is Drive the bus safely, make sure they hit there stops on time and knowing their route...its seems relatively stress free to be honest..

traffic is something EVERYONE who drives in NYC has to endure, I don't really see it as stress to be honest, just a fact of life. Obviously driving a 21 ton 60 foot bus makes it harder but I assume after awhile a BO will drive a big bus as if its second nature or driving his/her personal car...sure you will deal with impatient drivers who will cut you off, but is it REALLY that bad to make a BO hate his job? At 30/hr, which is great money why not just shrug it off and just ignore it.

Also ive heard BOs say sometimes they go a awhole shift without ever speaking to any customers...to me that's a PLUS since some these riders can be a nuisance while driving.

You guys get the point, I just don't see how this job can be stressful AT ALL...the pay is great and atleast at first glance seems very easy to do once you get the routes down and the driving mastered...

just about the only thing I can think of is needing to use the bathroom with a full bus midway through a route, or not fully understanding where to go on your route. I am just shocked to hear how stressful this job can be, I took 4600 thinking this was going to be a great paying job with not much stress.

SubwayFan, if you don't mind me asking, since you took 4600 I presume you were not hired from 2613? What happened?

Also, ive been doing a ton of research on what its like to be a Bus Operator in NYC...

First, please call me "Young." I would truly appreciate it.

Second, in February of 2014, I unfortunately failed the 10-Day B/O training. I'm glad I took B/O exam 4600 as a backup! Although I have to wait 5 years after February of 2014 to try again, so far it's close to 18 months! Which means that when the B/O 4600 list is published, I'll be good to go!!

Third, I would first worry about the intense 10-Day B/O Training, followed by the one-year probationary period, since not everyone makes it. According to 

, which is directly from the MTA's YouTube page, "23% of those hired will fail out of the initial training." In addition, 11% will fail out of the probationary period."

Fourth, the buses do not weigh 21 tons. According to the first image of http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34980-bus-operator-exam-2613-questions/?p=753579, which I originally got as a handout from my MTA instructor back in 2014, the bus weighs 42,540 pounds.

Finally, about going to the bathroom, from what I have learned, there is at least one place at one of the terminals where the Operators can use the restroom. This is usually where a lot of routes terminate. Examples in Queens are: Main Street/Flushing, 165th Street Bus Terminal, Jamaica Center. An example in Staten Island is the St. George Ferry Terminal. Examples in Brooklyn are probably Williamsburg and Downtown Brooklyn.

In addition, once you pass the 10-Day B/O training, you will be in line training for six weeks (if I am correct) with another Bus Operator, who will explain this and a lot more to you.

I work for a contractor doing Access-A-Ride para-transit services for the MTA, believe me the stress is there:

I don't mind the traffic, it's not that stressful, but things to keep in mind:

- You are driving a 21 ton (42,540 lbs) vehicle you are dealing with inattentive pedestrians and moronic drivers on the streets. One wrong move on either part, someone could get hurt or something damaged. In the event of an incident, it will be evaluated as if it was "preventable" on your end. As transportation workers we want to operate safely, however, those "near-misses" can get under your skin (not only for your safety, other's safety - but your job)...

- Supervision, if you do your job you should not have a problem. However, sometimes you'll hear of "crackdowns" where you'll see things like this:

Tony Romaine said he was two hours into his eight-hour shift on the M15 route in Manhattan when a dispatcher ordered him to pull over. Romaine said he was taken out of service — and lost six hours’ pay — for taking a hand off the wheel and waving at another MTA driver.

Source: (NYDN) Dozens of cellphone-using, red light-running MTA bus drivers pulled off road

I operate my AAR vehicle under the assumption that my road supervisor is in back of me, the TA inspectors are watching me and someone I care about is in my vehicle. 

Also, the MTA considers a yellow light to the be equivalent of a red light. The cell-phones and obvious traffic violations (blowing past stop signs and red lights) are no-no's and should in my opinion be enforced.

And here is the mother of all quotes about this job in this post from a bus operator:

You are never safe at this job, there are too many things around you that are not under your control. ( people, cars, trucks, busses, idiots the list goes on and on )

Once you will feel safe, that is the time you will f up

As for the restroom situation, you'll learn how to regulate your fluid intake and your colleagues will teach you where you can go.

BTW, has anyone in the 2800's or above start the process (drug test, medical, training)? It's been awfully quiet here.

I don't think any movement was made from this list in a few months. School is about to go back in session which means more buses are needed on the streets. Cross fingers guys and keep license clean, we should all be called by the end of the year.

I work for a contractor doing Access-A-Ride para-transit services for the MTA, believe me the stress is there:

I don't mind the traffic, it's not that stressful, but things to keep in mind:

- You are driving a 21 ton (42,540 lbs) vehicle you are dealing with inattentive pedestrians and moronic drivers on the streets. One wrong move on either part, someone could get hurt or something damaged. In the event of an incident, it will be evaluated as if it was "preventable" on your end. As transportation workers we want to operate safely, however, those "near-misses" can get under your skin (not only for your safety, other's safety - but your job)...

- Supervision, if you do your job you should not have a problem. However, sometimes you'll hear of "crackdowns" where you'll see things like this:

Source: (NYDN) Dozens of cellphone-using, red light-running MTA bus drivers pulled off road

I operate my AAR vehicle under the assumption that my road supervisor is in back of me, the TA inspectors are watching me and someone I care about is in my vehicle. 

Also, the MTA considers a yellow light to the be equivalent of a red light. The cell-phones and obvious traffic violations (blowing past stop signs and red lights) are no-no's and should in my opinion be enforced.

And here is the mother of all quotes about this job in this post from a bus operator:

As for the restroom situation, you'll learn how to regulate your fluid intake and your colleagues will teach you where you can go.

BTW, has anyone in the 2800's or above start the process (drug test, medical, training)? It's been awfully quiet here.

I Co-sign everything you've mentioned above.

Hey Folks~

So it is the first Sunday of the month,  therefore according to the DCAS Automated System, as of August 2nd, 2015, out of 3,617 eligible candidates, the list number of the last...

...certified is 3,621.

...appointed is 2,763.

Compared to before (according to DCAS), the list number of the last appointed has risen by 79. Best of luck to those candidates remaining!!

• 3 weeks later...

Also, ive been doing a ton of research on what its like to be a Bus Operator in NYC(I am serious in possibility making this a life long career), and no offense to those drivers already on the job but, how can being a BO possibly be THAT stressful? Ive seen guys/girls on the job say BOs don't live long due to all the stresses of the job...and how its one of the most stressful jobs in NYC..

I just don't understand this? Obviously I am not on the job and I probably have no idea what I am talking about, but observing other BOs working it seems all they have to do is Drive the bus safely, make sure they hit there stops on time and knowing their route...its seems relatively stress free to be honest..

traffic is something EVERYONE who drives in NYC has to endure, I don't really see it as stress to be honest, just a fact of life. Obviously driving a 21 ton 60 foot bus makes it harder but I assume after awhile a BO will drive a big bus as if its second nature or driving his/her personal car...sure you will deal with impatient drivers who will cut you off, but is it REALLY that bad to make a BO hate his job? At 30/hr, which is great money why not just shrug it off and just ignore it.

Also ive heard BOs say sometimes they go a awhole shift without ever speaking to any customers...to me that's a PLUS since some these riders can be a nuisance while driving.

You guys get the point, I just don't see how this job can be stressful AT ALL...the pay is great and atleast at first glance seems very easy to do once you get the routes down and the driving mastered...

just about the only thing I can think of is needing to use the bathroom with a full bus midway through a route, or not fully understanding where to go on your route. I am just shocked to hear how stressful this job can be, I took 4600 thinking this was going to be a great paying job with not much stress.

You can take 2 personals per day. If you really need to go, you can call dispatch and take a personal. Everyone gets off your bus and you go to the nearest bathroom you can find. You call dispatch back up and they put you in place. Sucks for whoever your follower is but sometimes you really gotta go. I had to do this once in the a little under 2 years I have been on. 

Do anyone have an idea when they going to start hiring from this list again? I reinstated my name back on the list and still nothing.

They have hired so many people since December 2013, I would imagine at some point they would hit a non hiring period. This might be it. There aren't less buses out there now, its just lower paying runs because there are no school pieces added onto runs. I would think at earliest hiring would start up again after the new year. System pick starts in a couple months so if everyone remembers hiring stopped last yr at around that time, being that hiring stop earlier this year I would think they don't need anyone now. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Folks~

So it is the first Sunday of the month,  therefore according to the DCAS Automated System, as of August 2nd, 2015, out of 3,617 eligible candidates, the list number of the last...

...certified is 3,621.

...appointed is 2,763.

I just called a few moments ago and the information is the same for September.

Archived